Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
hello I finally played this game after being told for a year that I need to play and like... just... I feel like I need to talk about it

that was amazing?? people did tell me the game was practically made for me but I ended up playing through almost the entire game in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. I hung out with Bea a lot because gently caress, everything in this game hit far too close to home

that part (you know the one) felt kinda out of nowhere for me but I guess it was at least interesting

I think I need to lie down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Or you could hang out with Greg!

I know! I feel so bad for not hanging out with him more

crimes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

Crimes.

You really gotta play through twice so you can do the opposite friend hangouts than you did the first time. There were a lot of other smaller scenes you can easily miss on your first go through as well. Play again, but this time pick opposite choices, and make sure you explore every inch of town and talk to everyone you can before you talk to Gregg or Bea (or Angus on ghost hunting days)
I did play pretty thoroughly (but I didn't use a guide or anything) and it took me like 13-14 hours to play through

found all the stars, raised some miracle babies, made a horror-loving friend, met and then hung out with the trash king (all hail) by the bridge, found a tooth, brought some musicians together, salvaged some garbage antiques, hung out with mom etc. like I said, game is basically made for me. I really enjoyed going through every inch of the map every day and talking to everyone and everything :3:

I alternated a bit between Gregg and Bea (kinda wish I'd stuck with one because it makes my second playthrough more confusing) but I went to the mall and had dinner a fight with Bea and they might've been my favorite parts of the game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I didn't expect going in that this game staring cartoon animals would make me feel things but there you go.

hah, that was the only thing I expected (it's why people recommended it to me) but it still hit hard

I went in completely blind and didn't even realize the reason Mae was home was because she dropped out of college until it was mentioned. like I said a lot of this poo poo hit far too close to home but I feel like the game really did it justice with the writing and dialogue. :gbsmith:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 18, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm interested in seeing an eventual post-mortem on the Japanese localization, because I assumed a shitload of this game is based on really culturally specific American knowledge (like, for example, just the fact that the game takes place in fictional Pennsylvania has a ton of cultural implications that aren't explicated on)
fwiw I'm not American either but I still enjoyed the heck out of the game and I think most of it is still applicable at least to other western audiences

the themes, situations and interactions feel a lot more (for a lack of a better word) millennial-focused than American-focused and I've been through a lot of the poo poo in the game (no mudercults thankfully) which is why it struck such a chord with me :gbsmith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd argue that the themes are explicitly post-industrial rather than millennial , and while the rust belt is an american setting, there are certainly tons of places like the Rust Belt in England, eastern Europe, Germany, and many other countries.

oh yeah, like I said I didn't know what word to really use for it.

what I mean is that it probably hits close to home with a lot of people of this generation, with everything from the way the characters interact and speak with each other to the struggles and just the setting itself etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Wanting to be a "beautiful monster" is something I'd actually said in my super angsty anxiety-ridden goth youth. Only she's way cooler than I ever was at that age and can say stuff like that without sounding like a complete dorkus like I did. So yeah, I really liked Lori.
definitely

it's amazing how relatable every character is in this game honestly

in other news I am currently obsessing over the soundtrack

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

it's such a cliché song but the moment it's on I choke up a bit. :cry: I also love how it calls back to Die Anywhere Else
e: and the mall music too, of course!

I feel like a lot of the songs on the soundtrack do that, I wonder if anyone has looked for all the motifs

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 19, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

Mae finding Mallard is one of the great moments in the game. It's just pure joy for her, and you can't help but feel it too. My experience the first time I did that scene was just pure delight.
that entire subplot is just wonderful, I literally squealed at the epilogue in the abandoned Food Donkey :kimchi:

Mae is so happy about the entire thing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the ending (although I found the cult stuff kinda out of left field and that it sorta undermined some stuff?) and I definitely think it couldn't have ended any better. It wouldn't really make sense for the themes and such of the game if things were "solved" in the end and everyone lived happily ever after, but the little things sure felt good. :shobon:

speaking of it, I'm watching other people's playthroughs now (help I can't stop thinking about NITW) and I'm a lil weirded out how many people want/assume Bea and Mae as a couple

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It does fit into the main theme of the game in a pretty excellent way, I just don't like how it muddies the mental health stuff in regards to Mae. Not to get too personal but as someone who also dropped out due to mental health Mae's entire deal just hit really close and it saddens me when I see people go "oh she was just possesed/had magical headaches/whatever" and brush the entire thing off, and I feel like the developers themselves weren't entire clear about it either (which I guess was intentional)

and yeah Mae makes a few references to being bi throughout the game, but Bea likewise does the same to being straight and their whole deal is like.. super platonic. They even both say at several points that they feel like family and I think that's so sweet and I guess I just feel like the internet's obsession with making every character kiss kinda cheapens that

I mean I'm not the videogame police though so I guess everyone can interpret and enjoy it however they want

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

It's the internet, everybody wants every character to be gay, and gay with each other.
you got me there :hmmyes:

Larryb posted:

Mae's primary issues were separate from the cult (as I recall, it wasn't until after Harfest that she really started hearing the Black Goat herself), but they did make things a bit worse for her though. Plus, it's not like her problems just magically disappeared at the end so their inclusion didn't really bother me that much.
I've seen people argue that the derealization is due to the black goat's influence and Mae being ~chosen~ and honestly the text doesn't really disprove it? I guess that's what I mean by the developers not being clear on it because you could very well interpret it either way, making it about mental health or magical destiny

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
while we're on the topic I gotta say it's extremely refreshing how political the game gets

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think for me the part that got a bit muddied is that the metaphor was extremely clear and I kinda expected it to just be that... but then the whole cult and them being chased and Mae going into a coma and the hole stuff was all real? When things started getting weird I kinda expected it to be like a mental breakdown or something of the sort but no, there were actual death cultists sacrificing actual kids to an actual bottomless pit. I mean meta-narratively the hole can both be a hole and a metaphor for capitalism, but in-universe that stuff is actually happening and that makes things more complicated.

It just gets kind of weird because the game is directly criticizing capitalism in-universe but then there's this death cult and eldritch horror and the horror also represents capitalism. I'm not putting this into words well but eh, that's what I mean by muddy v:saddowns:v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

That's the whole point. The Eldritch horror is literally capitalism. And it's a hungry God.

what I mean is that the characters in-universe clearly has to deal with actual capitalism and the socioeconomical problems it brings but they also literally have to deal with a death cult of old men sacrificing kids to a pit which may or may not contain and actual deity but also represents capitalism?

it's capitalism all the way down

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think what gets me is that I kinda expect things to either be straight up commentary or allegorical. Like, you could have a fantasy story with dragons and goblins where everything is a metaphor and it's like "yeah the dragon represents capitalism" or you could have a story with real people dealing with real socioeconomic issues

but Night in the Woods mixes both and that feels a bit weird

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

My heart is
A Dankness
But when I see you
I feel a thankness

When I feel
A blueness
All I need
Is a youness

skeleton warrior posted:

There’s another whole interesting discussion about the allegory of unions and solidarity, where everything the cultists revere and worship only was around because people fought and died for the union, but those same cultists being middle managers and bosses are the exact same people keeping the Food Panther from unionizing.

Also, the goat neighbor is absolutely in the cult, in the hospital all his questions were about what happened and he ended with a weirdly awkward “well, I hope she recovers and is able to tell everyone EXACTLY what happened in the woods”
The scene in the epilogue with dad was kinda cheesy but I love how it's like "if we weren't clear enough about this throughout the game, UNIONS DUDE". I'm kinda sad I've seen several people think that the tooth is a symbol of the cult, what a way to completely miss the point of everything.

Also yeah I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that goat was being creepy as heck. I've seen so many people say the cranky neighbor is a cultist because he was mean to you, but seriously.. the goat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Twigmeyer

"Mae was a daughter to all of us on the block.
Sometimes folks is in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I hope we found out what exactly happened to her."

then her parents explains the false story about the hunters and falling into a ditch

"Well.
I hope she was up soon and tells us alllll about it"

:whitewater:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did a cover of Weird Autmn (no vocals), figured I might as well share it here

https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/weird-autumn

Nichael posted:

Seeing those reminded me that this game has such great character design.
:yeah:

the art direction in general is hella strong in this game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay so I'm still obsessing over this game, anyone know any streams/let's plays of this game that are worth watching? I always really enjoy watching playthroughs of games I love but I've looked at a few and seen people just run past dialogue prompts and stuff which is like... no

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Miscat squad.
that's an eerily quick reply! from what I can see it's just a couple of episodes last updated a year ago though?

probably worth mentioning that I've watched a couple of playthroughs already, Materwelonz and Lauren the Flute's (both of which I enjoyed!)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Oh I thought she had finished them. I really like her LPs for Life is Strange and liked what I saw of her doing NITW.
ah, that's a shame

I figured it would make for a great let's play game but I've looked through half a dozen on youtube and people are just going from objective to objective and straight up ignoring dialogue which is bizarre in a narrative game like this :sigh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who said anything about talking over it, I just enjoy seeing people experience it for the first time :sigh: If anything, I feel like the general trend of new let's plays voicing everything takes away from the experience because they're too busy talking to really take in the message (on top of reading everything wrong).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait, Void Burger played this? Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :3:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Candy's definitely is, and I'm pretty sure Stan's is as well.
Yeah, Pastor K asks you if you're Candy's daughter and someone definitely also names Stan though I can't remember who. I'm pretty sure both only get mentioned once though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Voidburger's LP was pretty good.
how many episodes does it take before she realizes she can interact with things multiple times? :ohdear:

I really feel like that's one thing the game could've conveyed better. I figured it out in the first room myself but that's because I'm the type of person who obsessively talks to NPCs until all dialogue is exhausted, but like 80% of the writing in this game comes from inspecting things and talking to people multiple times and it's a drat shame that probably a lot of people missed that. It's not usual in games to have new dialogue every time you inspect something so most people just assume "well I already inspected this" and I think if the game just kinda used a different icon or something to hint at there being more text that would help a lot. :sigh:

Lemon posted:

Just chiming in to say that voiced LPs of text-only games are the absolute worst, no matter who does them.
I don't think it has to be bad but I think the biggest problem with it is that it's easy for people to start to narrate rather than read, if that makes sense? Especially when people starting doing voices and stuff, I feel like they're too preoccupied with that stuff to really take in and understand what the text is saying. It just becomes reading from a script, y'know? It's a shame with games like this because then you often lose the emotional impact.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Huh, looking at these playthroughs I just learned that if you skip talking to people you actually get new dialogue and sometimes even the dialogue from the day before + the current day :aaa:

I'm wondering, can you do stuff like befriend Lori and raise the miracle rats even if you skip some days before meeting them?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Voidburger just ignoring Lori, I can't watch this :negative:

Larryb posted:

As long as you don't wait too long I think it's possible. Actually Lori (and Mr. Chazakov for that matter) have slightly different introductory dialogue if you hold off a little while before talking to them for the first time. It's also possible to skip the fight between Mae and her mom entirely if you just don't talk to her that particular morning.

Finally, if you deliberately fail enough times it's actually possible to do the Mall segment without Mae actually stealing anything (she still convinces Bea to steal afterwards and the rest plays out like normal from there but you do get a different conversation out of it at least).
That's neat! It's still absolutely crazy to me that almost all the good poo poo in the game is completely optional. Imagine going through the game without hanging out with Lori, hearing Selmers' poem, looking at stars with Mr. Chazokov or learning about Bea. I just wonder what sort of impression a person who played like that would have of the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

It sounds like you dont actually want to watch an LP and rather just want to play the game again lmao
nah I'm mostly joking :v:

I guess what I really enjoy about watching LPs is seeing people experience the stuff that I liked the most so it's always a bummer when they either don't pay attention or skip stuff. With a game like Night in the Woods that had such a big emotional impact, that's kinda the whole point right? Like without the emotional investment I would just be watching someone click through textboxes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean I've already watched a couple of really good let's plays so I can't really agree with that, but it's true that with the game being so optional-heavy that it's more likely to not have the kind of LP I'd enjoy.

Thanks for the links though, that does sound great. I'll be sure to check them out! :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
From that post:

quote:

To clarify on the prequel game--

This is the Kickstarter Backer supplemental game. So, think something along the scope of Lost Constellation. So far the only indication we have as to what the prequel game focuses on is that sometime after NITW's release, Alec let slip that it would focus on the Killer Incident. Whether or not this is still true now that it's actually happening, is yet to be seen, but it's so far the only info we really have to go off of.

Oh, that and that Scott thinks the prequel game is "very cool" and that Alec considers it kind of a way for everyone (them and the fans) to have one final goodbye to the characters and world for the foreseeable future.

If it ends up being about that, I really wonder how they'll do it without it being kinda... Eh. Like someone else said, I think they really have told everything that needs to be told and it's weird to make a prequel.

What does it mean that it's a Kickstarter backer game? I didn't back the game because I had no idea it even existed so I hope it doesn't mean it's exclusive to backers.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if anyone's even interested but I did another cover, this time of Shapes
https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/shapes

can't stop thinking about this game and the soundtrack

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squiddycat posted:

This is heartbreaking on multiple levels.
yeah :( NITW is very close to my heart, and while the writing was the most important by far the music definitely played a part. I've also covered several of the tracks.

gently caress.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this is loving awful

repiv posted:

Looks like Scott Benson noped out of Twitter

https://twitter.com/bombsfall
I feel like avoiding the internet and i'm not even involved, I can't imagine what it's like for those who are

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

You know, I know this is bad timing
I read all of that and I don't see what it has to do with any of this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not much to add that other people haven't already said - NitW hit me extremely hard emotionally in a way that no other game has. I live on the other side of the world but the issues and relationships in the game still hit uncomfortably close to home, playing through it was equal parts depressing and cathartic and it was an experience I needed. It will always be one of the best games I've ever played.

Master Twig posted:

There's a lot of extra stuff. My biggest recommendation to anyone playing this game for the first time is to explore everywhere and talk to everyone you can every day. Always talk to Bea and Gregg LAST, and if you think you have more to look at, always decline their offer to hang out. Otherwise you can miss a lot of great content.
yeah, this is one thing about the game that makes me sad. So much of the absolute best writing is hidden away and optional (or on Bea's route) and it's perfectly possible for someone to play through the game start to finish while missing all of it. I don't want to imply that there's a "wrong" way to play a game, but I think if someone were to pick up the game and only play Gregg's route and just go from objective to objective, their experience would be so much less than what it could have been. This is also why I don't like it when people say that it's just a visual novel with extra walking, because exploration and going around talking to townsfolk is a very important part of the game and why it wouldn't work in any other format.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that's incredibly heavy, but I'm glad to have read it

I'm so sorry Scott and everyone else had to go through this :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NightMargin/status/1425238125719154688

i can't believe this is canon now

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I hope Twigs will be just as entertaining as Mae was (also, do we know if they’re a boy or a girl yet?)
what if they were just "cat"

(i'm looking forward to getting to know twigs)