Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

redcheval posted:

Did anyone look around to see if any background characters went missing after the mine caves in? The only one I noticed was that pair of people up the stairs right next to the Snack Falcon (I think one is a bird but now I'm totally forgetting). The guy on the right was gone the next morning, even though both of them had been there every day without fail before then.

Ooh also, does beating Demon Tower do anything?

I didn't talk to the pair every day but the guy talked about going somewhere before then. Presumably the cultists were expecting to come back from the mines so I don't think he's one?

And yeah, I think Molly is very likely a cultist. I couldn't find her at all in the epilogue and she got a lot of screen time to just be missing at the end like that. Also we know at the very least one of the cultists knew Mae well enough to recognize her in the dark. (by voice probably?). So Molly would make sense for that, but it could also be like her nextdoor neighbor or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Beekeeping and You posted:

I think that's a woman? Because Mae mentions seeing a hot woman and not getting her number, and later draws a little picture of the bear with a caption like "TOTAL HOTTIE." Unless I'm misremembering that scene.

she is. The hand sign thing you do with her also gives you one of the pentagrams. I'm not sure whether or not this counts a spoiler but deciding to be safe.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nichael posted:

I played the Bea route in the game so I've been watching Gregg scenes on Youtube. I'm kind of glad I played Bea because Angus in the Legends segment acts like a jerk. The Bea route is probably a better choice for Mae's future too, because it's pretty clear that Gregg and Angus are moving on without her.

I'm not sure if we are still spoilering stuff or not.

To be fair, Angus was mad at her for very legit reasons. Though I agree there was no build up so it looked like it came out of nowhere. I think it's just a pacing thing cause none of his reservations were brought up before then, even though Mae was clearly being a bad influence on Gregg.

Also not wanting Mae to move in with them at Bright Harbor doesn't mean they want to cut her out of their lives. She has to do her own thing but she's still gonna visit and hang out and all that. She'd be a third wheel if she actually was living with them, so it's hardly unreasonable for them to want some space. Also if you do the Gregg sequence, at the end Bea comments that they should hang out more so it's not like Mae will never get the chance to hang out with Bea again either.

The Bea segments are really good though, I agree. But there's a lot of good stuff in the Gregg sequence too. The game is good.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
On the subject of Germ's story, so there's an achievement for it that no one has been able to get and it's apparently because the final hang out with him was cut from the game. Someone managed to find it and put it out on youtube. It has some hefty spoilers if you haven't finished the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZY-1mZAbLc

though it's a really cool scene I can see why the cut it. It kinda wrecks the ambiguity of the whole how much is supernatural and how much of it is Mae just going through her own issues to have another character who is having the same experiences as her.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 10, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

Woo boy doing Legends right after the park is some mood whiplash

Haha yeah. That it is.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

I really wish you unlocked a chapter select after you beat the game as I wanted to get a good wallpaper of the bike ride with Mae & Gregg

Are you able to do the fourth friend event if you go Angus first? I went Bea and Gregg first and did their events immediately afterwards on my first two runs and always did Angus second. I did find out you get a bit more dialogue with Angus beforehand if you went the Gregg route.

Other than maybe unlocking extra dialog, the fourth friend hangout has nothing to do with any of the ghost hunts. It just takes place between the first and second of them. So if you split up the first three friend hangouts, you just get whoever you hung out with twice for the fourth.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I watched one of my favorite youtubers play through Night in the Woods, do every Selmers interaction and hear all her poems and then NOT STICK AROUND TO WATCH HER DOPE rear end POEM IN THE LIBRARY. I feel betrayed

What the hell is wrong with them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Alder posted:

I like Bea but I feel like their friendship is dysfunctional and this is probably what makes it more realistic than 100% game friendships. I can see them growing apart in the next few years unless there's significant change in their lives.

Now that I've seen both routes I realize almost all of Mae's friends are leaving her behind and Germ is right how everyone is going or wishing they'd be anywhere but here.

"Do Mae and Bea start dating after one of the endings?
No, but they do eventually find a decent BBQ place like 40 minutes away and that's pretty good." @bombsfall

I think Bea and Mae can work pretty well as a friendship. They are a pretty good influence on each other. Mae needs a healthy dose of reality that Bea can give her. And through Mae, Bea is able to actually live a little and actually break away from her routine of work, exhaustion and self-pity. For instance, without Mae, Bea doesn't even have the confidence to go the party she really wanted to go to, despite her having other friends there (Jackie). If anything, Mae and Gregg's relationship is the most dysfunctional one in the game, as Mae is enabling him to slide back into all of his old bad habits which actually threatens his only chance to make it out of there if he gets fired and/or arrested.

Though everyone is leaving possum springs at one point or another. There's really no future for anyone there, Mae included.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

precision posted:

I assume that poster thinks it will ruin a game about being an outcast, growing up, fitting in, and figuring out what you're all about to discuss this stuff. Which is silly.

e: Do you have to do well/poorly on all 3 songs in the same playthrough for the trophies, because gently caress that last song :mad:

Yeah, you have to do really bad (like miss over 50% of the notes) for 3 songs for one trophy, and then I think get 90% of them right for all 3 for the other.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

precision posted:

I really did not like the last act of the game. Like, at all. What the hell were they thinking... jeez.

If you don't mind elaborating, what don't you like about it?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bad news bareback posted:

I think they got the early 20something dialogue too on the nose because all of these characters are insufferable and I hate them all.

Even Angus?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bad news bareback posted:

He was the only one that I thought was funny or interesting but I only got to a little past the mini-game part so I haven't really given it a full chance. I'll try and keep playing because the rest of the game is so on point, I just feel like a painfully untargeted demographic.

You'll get the option to do an event with him. Like other hang outs you can't do them all, but I highly recommend you do his. It's one of the most earnest parts of the game. Also I think you'll like Bea if you hang out with her more.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I enjoyed hanging out with Gregg but lol that you're the cause for the intense awks in Legends and if you didnt hang out with him at all, Gregg and Angus are fine :v:

You can hang out with him once and still get Bea's story. Best of both worlds!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

precision posted:

I hung out with Angus first in that sequence and it locked me out of doing Bea's investigation thing, I think.

When you first get the option to do hang outs (starting after second band practice) you get three choices of either Gregg or Bea. Choosing at least 2 for one of them will lock you into their path for the final hangout. Once you get the investigations, you can do any 2 out of 3 in any order with no restrictions/lockouts. You do get slight variations of dialog depending on what hang outs you did before but that's it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

This is amazing

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It ruins the mystery a bit but if you really want to know.

There was a very tiny Q/A on Kickstarter and some folks asked about whether he committed suicide, the response was: " Not going to do a lot of post-game lore here but as far as I know: no, he did not. " So yeah based on the wording, it's clear it's meant to be a mystery but he probably didn't kill himself. My guess is he just drifted somewhere else.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

FreeKillB posted:

That review is :eyepop:

e: the partisan swipes are especially funny as anyone casually examining Scott Benson's twitter feed will see very quickly that he has little love for the Democratic Party.

Uh, lack of criticism of Mae? Like, every character that knows Mae well ends up calling her out on her poo poo. That's kinda most of the game.

My vote is on the dude made this review based on pieces from other reviews or from reading a synopsis, and probably never actually touched the game itself.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

eatenmyeyes posted:

1) I'd recommend going with the same person for the first two days.
2) I don't know.

Go with the same person for all three days imo. There is really no reason to do a different for the third, especially since there are usually call backs to stuff that happens in later events and so it'll make the later events with those characters even better. But mostly you'll get a more complete "character arc" by seeing all there is about that one character for a game. Also if you don't talk to Lori M every day, make sure you do that at least in your second playthrough.

Not cause you get a better ending or anything, Lori M is just the best, that's all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The thing about Bea vs Gregg is that it just kind of feels like Gregg will be okay whether you hang out with him or not. If you hang out with him there's just a bit of a road bump that happens between you him and Angus. If you don't he'll still continue his life with Angus happily. But on Bea's side, rekindling that friendship with Mae is super important and helps her get out of this rut of "my life sucks, I'm stuck in this job I hate forever". The end of it has this bit of hope to it where they decide to plan a road trip and Bea is obviously not feeling like she's just drowning in this life and job anymore. But if you go Gregg's route she just... stays where she is, forever.

I said it before but I feel like they shouldn't have bothered to try to make it more like a game by having the choice between Gregg and Bea at all. I think it should've had both because both stories are good but Bea's is the one that has the most emotional impact

Yeah, on one hand I agree, there's room for both storylines in one play through but I think it's fine in the sense that it's bait to get a player to play a second time. On the second play through you'll notice more things, probably find more leads to side stories with Germ and Lori M, etc that you'll miss the first time. That's assuming your first run is blind anyways. They could have made all the content hard to miss but I think that kills the sense of exploration that is really at the heart of the game.

So I think you could argue either way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Larryb posted:

Ah too bad but good to know they haven't abandoned the project. Speaking of which, have the devs behind NitW done anything significant since the game launched? Like I've said before, I'd really like to see another project from them one day even if it's not a sequel.

Benson is currently working with another artist on a new game for the past few months but I expect it might be some time before we get any concrete details on what the project is.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 4, 2018

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Larryb posted:

On a similar note, has there been any further word regarding the creators’ next project recently? I know they showed a preview image a while back but haven’t heard much since then (pretty sure the possibility of a NitW sequel or that planned DLC prequel they were talking about before the whole scandal with the composer broke is pretty much dead in the water at this point anyway)?

Yeah, it's a either a completely new project or they took the pieces of that NiTW inspired game and completely remade them into something else. I know they completely changed their art direction at some point in development. Though other than that we don't know a lot yet I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah I know he talked vaguely about severe health problems finishing the last game as well. It's interesting he says it's probably viral in origin, I don't think I've heard that outside of COVID

I assume (especially based on his explanation) that the "two key members" leaving were Benson and his wife, not multiple sick people. I guess it's fair, if that is referring to some other team member, that they might not want to out themselves as such, though.

There was an artist that left the team not that long ago. So it might be in reference to that person. But yeah they've unfortunately had a lot of issues so hopefully things go better for them.