Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

As someone turning 20 soon, the dialogue and characters are really hitting close to home hard, as is the setting. I've been waiting two years for this game and it was well worth the wait so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crimes.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Just beat it tonight. Was the cult member who grabbed Mae in the mine Casey? When the lights were flickering and his hood came off, I swear the head was cat-shaped.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ishikabibble posted:

If you ask them what they did to Casey, they tell you they threw him down the hole, justifying it by saying he was a low life who was going to end up like his brother who died in a meth lab explosion.

Yeah, I asked that question and got that response, but I still can't help but shake the feeling. The split second they show the silhouette of the person under the hood feels like it's there for a reason.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I wasn't really able to collect my thoughts about the game until it all hit me at once as I was drifting off to sleep last night. That was way, way creepier than I anticipated. From the trailers I had just assumed it was one guy and it was a misunderstanding, we'd all learn something at the end and hug, hah hah.

Nope.

Sacrificial cult that killed my friend and then got subsequently buried alive, with some paranormal teleportation and vision thrown in because of course. Every time one of the cult guys was on screen, from the kidnapping at Harfest to (spoilers for Gregg's and Angus' ghost-hunting routes) appearing in the window of the historical society to superhumanly chasing Mae and Angus out of the woods, it was honestly somewhat scary. That the game managed to pull off "creepy and "scary" with an art style and characters like it had is kind of amazing.

Anyways, go buy this game. I waited over two years and I would have gladly waited two more. It's stellar.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck:

I just realized... that away message that never changes on the laptop belonged to Casey didn't it :smith:

Uh-huh. I realized that immediately.

:smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

"Pumpkin Head Guy" cover when?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dolash posted:

I picked up a screenshot of that guy's silhouette for comparison and I finally understand the weird beak thing coming out of the hood is a miner's helmet flashlight:

drat, I never noticed that. That's a great detail.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Opposing Farce posted:

...Anyway, on a completely unrelated note, I just remembered the conversation with the tunnel teens where they mention some place called Malvurn (I think?) that's apparently super hosed up but they're not specific about how or why. Does that come up anywhere else? It seemed like an interesting background detail but I never saw it expanded on anywhere else.

One of them said that someone they talked to online was from there and hadn't been online since Harfest, so I assumed the town itself was super run-down and dilapidated with a lot of crime, and the teen Mae saw kidnapped was the same one the teen talked about. It would make sense with the Cult's targeting of people who wouldn't be remembered if the teen came from a life of poverty and crime.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

eatenmyeyes posted:

I'm suspect that Eide is "Fisherman" Jones.

Nah, I think Jones is still in the tunnel during the Epilogue.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I laughed harder than I thought I would. That's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martytoof posted:

In any event, I kind of have that "I finished a game I invested some emotion into and I feel a little empty" thing happening right now.. Always hate that.

Happened to me with Undertale, and it happened to me again with NITW. :sigh: