Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love the Weird Teens

Relin posted:

i guess the game strongly encourages replaying, i've only hung out with bea and turned down hanging out with germ twice and the mother once

There was a point where the mom was mad at me seemingly because of stress but then a few days later I realized it's cause I FORGOT to go to church with her like I said I would! I felt IRL terrible! It was too real. She got over it eventually though and then we went on an adventure just me and mom :3:

I also ignored Gregg to go hang out with Bea and felt bad about THAT so I stopped to see him first one day and we smashed lightbulbs and has a great time and then went back to see Bea :3:

This game gets Too Real

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just finished the game. I loving loved this game jesus christ. There's probably a handful of things I missed, there's several blank or barely covered pages in the journal but that's okay.

I'm so loving extremely relieved that the big mystery isn't some normal mundane bullshit or like some big misunderstanding that isn't as weird as it seems. I completely hated the ending of Firewatch because of this, and I hated the ending of Ethan Carter because oh it turns out it was all a dream or something. No this was for real straight up a death cult that was actually stealing people and murdering them for a god they thought they were appeasing. I mean in the end it wasn't really supernatural either, but it was still some really hosed up poo poo that was happening.

The writing was so so good. The complaints I do have about the game are pretty minor and didn't really detract from it that much. I thought the dream sequences, while cool at first, became a bit slow and running around to get the four... ghosts? became really tedious really quickly. I also would've liked the characters to change their expressions when they would talk. ESPECIALLY with Bea because she goes through a huge range of emotions and you get that from the text bubbles but you don't get that from the actual face, which is always the same "whatever" face so it's a little jarring. Likewise I loved the interactions between Mae and her mom but the faces always looking completely static took me out of it a bit. Man was the dialogue good though so I can only complain about that so much.

I still think it's really really interesting how many of Mae's dialogue options are just "pick this lovely thing to say or this lovely thing to say". I wish I had spent a bit more time with Gregg cause he rulz ok, but I was just completely enthralled with the story of Mae and Bea. The entire party that happens 2 hours outside of town is SO good.

edit: I guess the dude does teleport to you at the end so maybe something supernatural was going on, but the whole cosmic horror thing still didn't feel like it was real when Mae encountered it at the end. The death cult was just a bunch of lunatics. Was I supposed to take it to mean that whole thing was real too and not just some hallucination?

edit: Watching the trailer in the OP again, I definitely didn't do the knife fight or the deer hunting???

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 25, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Infidel Castro posted:

Just a helpful hint, you can smash light bulbs with Gregg without missing out on other stuff.

I DID manage to do that! I couldn't hit a single bottle to save my life

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FreeKillB posted:

I think I liked Undertale's raw gameplay a bit better. I view the platforming and minigames in NitW are mostly there for pacing's sake. I found it a lot more fulfilling both on the characterization and narrative side. (I thought UT had some fun characterization, but I just didn't feel what others did on the emotional level.)

I mean I would compare NitW to Firewatch before comparing it to Undertale. They're only really similar in terms of being indie games.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I also thought that fight they had just made their relationship stronger. That whole thing was really well done. Can you avoid having that fight altogether by remembering to go to church with her like she asks?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alder posted:

Do you we ever get a straight answer of Mae? I keep hoping talking to our Mom or Bea will help but not yet.

You do eventually tell Bea all what's going on and why you dropped out. You never tell your mom but it's assumed you mention it to her after the game is over. You never get to see that talk happen though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Btw the best character in the game is the Weird Teens

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:psyduck:

I just realized... that away message that never changes on the laptop belonged to Casey didn't it :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dolash posted:

unless I failed to pick up on something.

Well for one, that's a girl :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dolash posted:

Why it's the indie hit app "Good Night - In The Woods", friend. Many levels and fun!

That twitter thread is pretty good though. You know you've made it when your work is getting appropriated for spyware scam games that are just a looping loading screen riddled with ads. Next they'll start showing up in those disturbing flash games about Disney characters going to the dentist or cutting their toenails or whatever.

https://twitter.com/desplesda/status/838184666158899200

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is there something that makes people think the creepy dude isn't Mae's aunt? I figured that's what we were supposed to assume once his hat comes off at the end and you get the silhouette of a cat that has the same hair style as Mae's mom. You don't see her at all during the final day, granted you don't see her every day but still.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

Could someone fill me in on this? I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

It's Garfield

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I understand from a video game perspective why they have these separate routes, but I feel like it kind of does the game a little bit of a disservice to have it be impossible to do both the Bea and Gregg stories in the same playthrough. They both are really good for different reasons (though I think Bea's is a bit more interesting, and I also relate to Bea a lot more than Gregg), and to only experience one of them feels like you're missing out on like half the story. I think most players are not going to go back a second time and playthrough it again, so I think most people will only ever see one side of the story. I think it would've made everything a lot stronger if you could do both paths. It's especially sad how little time you can get with Angus, and in my playthrough I didn't do his ghost hunting thing at all. And that part of the game is really the only time you REALLY get to know him and his past.

Also after watching the Gregg stuff on youtube, it seems to me that if you do the Bea stuff and don't do the Gregg stuff, Gregg and Angus would still end up in a pretty okay place in their lives in the future. But if you do the Gregg stuff and ignore Bea, that wouldn't be the case for her life in the future.

So it sucks a little you are forced to miss out on one and possibly two important stories for these characters.

Also I'm sad I completely missed out on the mouse girl's story which I loved when I went back and watched it, but I'm fine with things like that or Germ's story being optional.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I watched one of my favorite youtubers play through Night in the Woods, do every Selmers interaction and hear all her poems and then NOT STICK AROUND TO WATCH HER DOPE rear end POEM IN THE LIBRARY. I feel betrayed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love this part:

quote:

like mae probably hasn't discovered the word "pansexual" yet. mae barely knows that whales aren't fish or that you shouldn't microwave silverware.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

GREGG RULZ OK

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bad news bareback posted:

He was the only one that I thought was funny or interesting but I only got to a little past the mini-game part so I haven't really given it a full chance. I'll try and keep playing because the rest of the game is so on point, I just feel like a painfully untargeted demographic.

I felt like I was amongst the exact demo for this game. It's maybe a little... sad? how much I related to Bea

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be a fox though his tail doesn't work for that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Scott's said his original drawings were intended to be a wolf/dog but everyone said he was a fox so they went with that IIRC.

If Gregg had been grey I think people would've read him as a wolf, but since he's sort of orange I think people end up reading him as a fox

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

I assumed she did after Jenny's Field but you may have missed that part.

I'm so glad I got that scene. What a great little part of the game :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Could anyone give me a general idea how far into the game I am?

I just went to the library with Bea, the Harfest stuff definitely felt like the end of the first act but I'm not so sure

Absolutely loving this game so far, even if it is kind of horribly depressing. At first I kind of thought Mae was super lovely but now I'm actually starting to kind of pity her; she really has no idea how the real world works. On one hand her optimism is refreshing, but against the super bleak tone of everything else in Possum Springs I'm really starting to just feel bad for her.

I would say maybe halfway through?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Does who you hang out with most have an effect on the ending? Bea was with me on the end and I hung out with her the most.

Yeah, it'll be Gregg on the couch with you instead of Bea. Which is another situation where I think the game is stronger for going the Bea route over the Gregg route. Because when Mae is confessing about whatever is wrong inside her head, you get this sense that Gregg doesn't have a single clue what she's talking about, and can't relate to it at all. Like he's there for her obviously and is doing his best, but the conversation is very one sided and Gregg's side is basically just him going "whoa" "whoa" "drat that sucks" "dang". Whereas Bea has her own poo poo going on so she is more able to relate and understand what is happening with Mae. And that whole scene is just a lot stronger because the conversation is a lot better.

I said it before but you get this sense if you go the Bea route that if you never hang out with Gregg, he and Angus end up alright anyway. Whereas if you never hang out withi Bea you get the sense that Bea does not end up alright. And that conversation is another example of that I think. I really think they should've had both in one game, even if it meant taking away the only really big choice you make gameplay wise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/kingdingah/status/844222700851789826

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've enjoyed a few Let's Play videos of the game to help me see some of the stuff I missed.

I actually find it hard to watch a lot of lets plays of this game, because people don't realize you can keep interacting with someone or something to keep getting dialogue, and they just... ignore when a journal thing pop ups at the bottom right. I think most people assume it's a saving icon??

Also man it is astounding to me how many people get stuck at the very beginning where you have to jump up the 2 and 3 pillars to get on the tree to get to the top of the powerline. They don't keep looking at dialogue so they don't get the message literally telling them what to do, but even still it seems so obvious to me that those pillars mean it wants you to triple jump. Like those pillars marked 2 and 3 are classic video game teaching you how to play without a tutorial straight up saying "do this". I'm constantly amazed at people getting stuck there

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 23, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty rough as I don't watch a lot of Let's Plays so I don't get why so many people seem to do certain things, like try to voice characters or what have you. Its a strange little subculture. But every once in a while I like to see other peoples reactions to certain events in games so I will seek them out.

That said, I really enjoyed Voidburger and Slowbeef's Let Plays as they are pretty chill goons in general, and Voidburger did way more stuff than I did in my first run through so that was good. I did watch one of the more popular (I guess as they had like 15million subs) play a bit. He had the usual facecam thing and did voices, with Gregg sounding like Junkrat from Overwatch so that was something. It was interesting if nothing for the comments as I think those players tend to attract a younger audience so the comments were interesting to me regarding the overall queer content, though the signal to noise ratio was abysmal but that's normal really, as I'm getting into teaching and curious to see what people in that age group think. Still, those kind of players always seem so ultra-caffeinated I don't blame anyone for avoiding them. Also, Let's Plays are a bit silly in general

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Lets Plays and seeing their reactions to things (it's always a cute reaction when you get Angus' "Gregg is my corner" line), and I generally find it hilarious when people are bad at games (Game Grumps' entire playthrough of Super Mario 64 is wonderful to me), it's just those specific things mean they're missing out on things in the game so you don't get to see their reactions to them. I also like when they do voices, if I wanted to just read the game I'd play it... which I did. The pillar thing doesn't make me mad so much as perplexed cause it seems so obvious to me as a player.

Jacksepticeye is a bit too shouty for me to enjoy watching though, this game isn't meant for the kind of energy that dude has

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qMZiU2WaKQ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bruce's fate seems pretty open and shut to me (suicide). I mean I guess you can interpret it any way you want but it didn't feel like there was any other way to interpret it. I don't buy him getting sucked up by the cult at all. The stuff he tells you before he "leaves town" makes it seem pretty obvious to me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FreeKillB posted:

That review is :eyepop:

e: the partisan swipes are especially funny as anyone casually examining Scott Benson's twitter feed will see very quickly that he has little love for the Democratic Party.

I like the "as it’s fairly obvious from the start that there are no ghosts." part. Like no poo poo, the point of those scenes isn't the hunting of ghosts. No one playing the game is under any real impression that there's a ghost

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Reading every line in wacky voices is going to sink that one quick.

I have a shocking secret to reveal to everyone: It won't. It doesn't sink any of the big youtubers that play the game, the majority of people want the voices. The majority of people want the silly voices always

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kYTe25h-bU

I like this cover. That metal cover a few posts up belongs in the trash

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The thing about Bea vs Gregg is that it just kind of feels like Gregg will be okay whether you hang out with him or not. If you hang out with him there's just a bit of a road bump that happens between you him and Angus. If you don't he'll still continue his life with Angus happily. But on Bea's side, rekindling that friendship with Mae is super important and helps her get out of this rut of "my life sucks, I'm stuck in this job I hate forever". The end of it has this bit of hope to it where they decide to plan a road trip and Bea is obviously not feeling like she's just drowning in this life and job anymore. But if you go Gregg's route she just... stays where she is, forever.

I said it before but I feel like they shouldn't have bothered to try to make it more like a game by having the choice between Gregg and Bea at all. I think it should've had both because both stories are good but Bea's is the one that has the most emotional impact

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Onomarchus posted:

Was the reason Gregg called himself parking lot trash compared to Angus because he grew up as one of only a couple of gays in a small town? That's the only reason I could find for it.

He calls himself that compared to Angus cause he's a guy who does crimes and does dumb crazy poo poo like play knife stabby in the woods or break into buildings and Angus is a good wholesome responsible boy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Verviticus posted:

im kinda sad this game has so many missable interactions because i have a few friends that id really like to see play this game, but i know they wont play it twice and i dont want to micro them to find the rat feeding or whatnot

I watched a streamer I like talk to Selmers every day and then when they had a chance to listen to the poetry club they just went "nah" and LEFT. I actually found it hard to keep watching the rest of it cause how DARE you!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Xander77 posted:

"Top-a-da-morning" green guy?

It's not him no

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Maybe it's just cause I've had years of conditioning because of Mario the two pillars that said 2 and 3 on them leading up to the branch made it clicked instantly what you were supposed to do there. I'm constantly pretty shocked so many people had an issue with it, it seems so obvious to me just as a video game thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I drew a Barrrrrowski

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

is that really a story thing that needed explaining? he's a grumpy old guy and Mei was a trouble causing teenager. What theorycrafting needs to be done there

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Yea I wasn't sure about Bea because Gregg is the one that I feel like more people talked about, but I went with Bea because her relationship to Mae seemed more interesting and I'm glad I did. Still not done yet but I'm impressed with how... REAL some of the dialogue is. Especially fights. I was actively cringing through some of the dialogue (in a good way) in a way no game has ever made me react.

Gregg is more "fun" in a way that you can more easily post gifs of him and his whole CRIMES thing on forums and twitter and stuff. And he rulz. But Bea has a far more satisfying route in the game itself IMO

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm pretty happy about that. All the major game award poo poo gave best game 2017 to the most loving overrated bullshit out there (Breath of the Wild) and constantly ignored Night in the Woods' existence. So it's nice to see the game recognized in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Your Computer posted:

okay so I'm still obsessing over this game, anyone know any streams/let's plays of this game that are worth watching? I always really enjoy watching playthroughs of games I love but I've looked at a few and seen people just run past dialogue prompts and stuff which is like... no

Jesse Cox's playthrough of it he looks for everything he can and reads every bit of dialogue with voices. He spends more time with Gregg than Bea though if that matters to you