Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Definitely picking this up ASAP, I loved Oxenfree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just a quick nonspoiler answer will be fine:

Is the only choice you have to make whether to hang out with Gregg or Bea? Meaning, you can see absolutely everything by playing the game twice because all the other characters you can hang out with don't lock you out of the Two Main Paths?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I noticed that literally nobody has gotten the Platinum trophy for this game. Is it because of the cut Germ scene I assume? They better patch it :mad:

I got Lori's hang-out scene last night and oh my God she really is the best :3:

e: actually it looks like there are a whopping five Trophies that nobody has managed to get

precision fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 12, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really says a lot that this game came out right in the middle of Yakuza 0 and Horizon consuming my soul and if hard pressed to pick a favorite, I'd legitimately call all three of them equally good. This is one of those rare "20 dollar indie games" where you should absolutely pay full price and not be a cheapass, there's a ton of content for a game of this type and the writing is fantastic. My wife is 22 and I'm 41 and we both really identify with the characters, it's crazy. Like when Germ started talking about "hanging out with Crusties" I was all "oh man yeah I remember the mid-00s".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I was not expecting the Crash joke, that's a deep cut

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait is Gregg supposed to be a dog? I thought he was a deer. I thought he even says "I'm a deer" as a play on "dear" once. I thought everyone in the game is either a Cat, a Crocodile, a Deer, a Mouse, or a Bear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bea reminds me far too much of a lot of people I used to know when I used to get so drunk I'd agree to things like "DJ a goth night".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mae is bisexual, right? I know she likes "cute boys" but I could have sworn she also mentions being attracted to women at least once, early on?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Oh yeah, that's where that conversation occurs, but my point stands because she definitely likes that one boy

It always makes me happy when writers don't use "bisexual" as shorthand for "will gently caress anything that moves and is always horny".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gregg is cute and he rulz ok :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh that's great. I've always been pansexual but I'll say "bi" if I don't have time for the entire "I'm attracted to people regardless of what's between their legs, I'd date a very femme boy just as easily as I'd date a femme girl, and likewise I have no interest in "butch" people of either gender".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kurona_bright posted:

how exactly is this the game getting ruined?

I assume that poster thinks it will ruin a game about being an outcast, growing up, fitting in, and figuring out what you're all about to discuss this stuff. Which is silly.

e: Do you have to do well/poorly on all 3 songs in the same playthrough for the trophies, because gently caress that last song :mad:

precision fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 15, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just hung out with Angus.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I must be near the end of my first playthrough because what the gently caress is happening?! This game got weird fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really did not like the last act of the game. Like, at all. What the hell were they thinking... jeez.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JuniperCake posted:

If you don't mind elaborating, what don't you like about it?

Nonspoiler answer: the pacing, the tonal shift, the almost complete lack of interactivity or choices

Spoiler answer: I was loving a game about real world people problems and anxieties, fitting in, growing up, making friends, keeping friends happy, keeping yourself happy, exploring the town and hanging out with cool people. Then suddenly it's an actual horror game about a big cult and Actual Cthulhu, which could have been done well but here all it did was bring up about a thousand questions with no answers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

They're all about the same thing, one is just a realized metaphor instead of straight realism.

I get that, my main complaint is the way it's written and presented. I just didn't think it was very well done and felt both rushed and forced. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dmboogie posted:

How did you feel about the epilogue?

Oh, the Epilogue is great, just like the rest of the game bar that one big segment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me that while I'm not much like Angus, my wife is my Gregg :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RE: Dreams

Who is the person in Mae's dreams whose silhouette you can see but never interact with? Casey?

Also, my wife was listening to Spotify while I played the Epilogue and this song came on and it was scary how well it fits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRQ8l7Z-_k0

At the "you gotta keep on walking you'll forget about me" I started bawling :qq:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

eatenmyeyes posted:

I finished watching Slowbeef's play through. I think that investigating first with Angus kept him from doing Legends. Gregg said he couldn't hang out because it was date night.

I hung out with Angus first in that sequence and it locked me out of doing Bea's investigation thing, I think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

That... sure was an ending.

gonna write some thoughts down.

Ultimately I think the game tries to do too much. It's a game about mental illness, the death of rust belt america, a coming of age story, and a story of cosmic horror. It tries to wear too many hats and it really shows it in the last act. It's really the Cosmic Horror part that really comes in the weakest. It is sprung up super randomly in the end, there are no real clues outside of Maes dreams that this stuff even remotely exists.

It causes a lot of things to blend together. Like I was convinced that everything was a delusion brought on my mental Mae's mental breakdown...

...and I think it would have been better that way? The death cult, the complete lack of any clues within the town, no one seemingly horrified by the cosmic horror they were witnessing, it all seemed very odd and stilted.I think that if there was more of a decent into madness and bizarro town poo poo that the reveal would have been better earned. I'll have to read the thread for all the spoiler discussion that has happened so far.

I agree completely, the last act really put me off the game, not in the "the ending retroactively ruined it!" sense, just in the "was that really necessary? I'm thinking no" sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh my gooooddddddddd :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you didn't raise adorable rat babies you did not truly experience this game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling Bruce killed himself?

Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone thinks that. It was definitely implied imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I thought that the game at that point led you to believe he just killed himself, then set up the cult reveal as an "oh wait they probably got him, that's really hosed up" moment.

Yeah that too. One of the two definitely happened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want one of Lori M. to give my wife :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This art style reminds me of Love and Rockets:

This one is cute:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The legacy of this game is as good as the game itself!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Such a good game.

The ending really had me thinking about what happens next for the town and our characters.

Nothing happens next because it is a game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got 100% on all the songs until the solo part of the last song. gently caress that part :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Innerguard posted:

You might even say, Gregg rulz

...ok?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martytoof posted:

I like the metal cover I just hate the singing.

If he stopped singing it would be good.

Please stop singing.

They're not a metal band, but when I saw Dead Meadow the first time, my friend told me "these guys are the greatest instrumental band with a singer".

See also: ISIS (the band).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The Soft Girl covers sound like what I would expect the actual characters' band to sound like, mostly. I personally prefer a few of the other covers over theirs but they win for 'accuracy' in my book.

Their version of "Die Anywhere Else" is almost a carbon copy of "Radio Free Europe" with a dash of other early REM songs. It sounds really good but I imagined the actual band sounding a lot more distorted and abrasive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zikan posted:

basically

bea listens to chapo trap house

gregg listens to cum town

Bea listens exclusively to Bauhaus bootlegs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

The only thing that I can say I honestly think makes Mae a bad person is that she is fairly willfully naive and/or ignorant about how the world works. Though that honestly may be a way that she copes with, or is a product of her illness

Or, you know, because she's still very young and figuring things out. She's a good kid, deep down. They all are. :unsmith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Larryb posted:

Yeah, there aren't really any particular heroes or villains in this game

Lori M is my hero :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's really important that Bea exists in this interpretation, as she's smarter than everyone else, works twice as hard, and still gets crushed by the system anyway. It's easier to dismiss Mae and Gregg's problems as "those wayward millennials" but then you have Bea who plays by the rules 100% and it still doesn't matter.

What about Angus though? He also plays by the rules and is far and away the most well-adjusted of the lot. E: And I would say he's at least as smart as Bea

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad I never did a second playthrough bc if I had I might not be as excited about doing one for Weird Autumn as i am

it's gonna be a free upgrade for existing owners right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i started my Weird Autumn replay the other day and "Space Dragon" is legit the best video game song of the year, and possibly of all time. it's like a shorter instrumental take on "Dopesmoker"