Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

What is this Game?

Ghosthunter is an action/horror/comedy game about a cop called Lazarus Jones (Rob Paulsen) who is called in with his partner Anna Steele (Nan MacNamara) to investigate a mysterious murder - Professor Brook has been accused of killing multiple students, but he has disappeared, so it is up to Lazarus and Anna to find out what really happened and if necessary, bring Professor Brook in. Unfortunately, things don't go according to plan...

Ghosthunter was released in 2003, Published by SCEE and made by Cambridge Studios, the minds behind Primal and the Medievil series among others. It's a fairly fun third person shooter, although the primary draw is in the writing - while Lazarus is a terrible idiot with moments of funny dialog, the show is stolen from the very first video by the AI, and the main villain, the undead noble, Lord Hawksmoor, voiced by Shakespearean actor and Dumbledore, Michael Gambon, who is having a lot of fun with the role.

Visually the game is pretty good with a strong aesthetic and cool monster designs, although a major flaw I found is that the game gets very hard towards the back half - I may resort to an infinite health cheat to get through the last levels but I'll try to play fair as far as I possibly can. Make no bones about it though - if I find myself failing to progress, I will start cheating, but only that one cheat will be necessary. I'll let the game supply me with the ammo that it deigns to give, and hell, I may even get though it without needing the health code at all but I'm not too proud to make use of the tool if needed.

Reception on Release

Ghosthunter received middling reviews, generally in the 60% area, but I personally had a lot of fun when I first beat this game a couple of years ago.

Spoiler policy

This game has fairly interesting plot elements, so please don't discuss things that we haven't explicitly seen yet. If it is in one of the posted videos, it will become fair game but until then let the game tell it's story in it's own time.

Videos

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lazarus Jones: The Primary character and lead dumbass, Lazarus accidentally releases hundreds of ghosts from containment and makes a huge mess, then his partner gets stolen by the lead ghost. Whoops. Lazarus has a (completely unearned) cocky streak that can get a little annoying in the early parts of the game, but we'll see how he plays out. (Voice: Rob Paulsen)

Anna Steele: The Lazarus's long suffering partner. Despite the game trying to make out that she's tough stuff mostly kind of happens to her, which is a shame. (Voice: Nan MacNamara)

Hawkmoor: A long dead lord who is apparently trying to use a young woman (The girl in the intro initially, then Anna when that falls through) to make himself alive and in the flesh again. Not very well developed but very well written (or at least sold) dialog-wise. (Voice: Michael Gambon)

AI: A mysterious AI, Loyal to the missing Professor Brook. Enlists Lazarus' aid in recapturing all the ghosts that his foolishness unleashed. Takes no poo poo, and is awesome.

Paw: The patriarch of the Hillbilly clan. A stern but loving father with a distrust of strangers and a large amount of hatred for Madame DeMontford, who has kidnapped his daughter. Initially he and his sons fight against Lazarus using astral projections due to thinking he's in league with DeMontford (Voice: Andre Sogliuzzo)

Billy Boy: Paw's younger son, somewhat highly strung but a good shot with a rifle. (Voice: Fred Tatasciore)

Junior: Paw's elder son, the dumbest of the three but not a bad kid.

Madame DeMontford: A somewhat unhinged widow. After the loss of her son to Old Croc, she grew resentful of Oakville and started to think that they put their daughter in danger on purpose in order to lure her son to his death. (Latest Vid Revelation:)Shot herself shortly afterwards. Her ghost murdered every child in Oakville to avenge her son, and enslaved their souls to protect her mansion. (Voice: Jane Hamilton)

Hillbilly Child (Deceased): A young girl who was being menaced by Old Croc one day. David DeMontford attempted to rescue her, but failed. (Voice: Kim Mai Guest)

David DeMontford: The son of Lady DeMontford. A pillar of the community, and the best citizen that Oakville ever had. Died trying to rescue the Hillbilly girl from the menacing Old Croc. His mother didn't take it too well...
David and Old Croc have since merged into the Swamp Phantom, and endlessly fight in a ghastly physical metaphor for their living days.

Freddie Fortesque: A soldier who lived, and died, in the 1930s. He was set to guard the Dagger of Poseidon, but his Captain had other ideas. (Voice: Michael Cochrane)

Captain Kraken: A well meaning man who was disturbed at the thought of being on the same boat as the cursed Dagger of Poseidon. Feuded with Freddie constantly until the curse of the dagger warped his mind, causing him to commit a mutiny. He and Freddie killed each other in the Melee. As his crew were killed along side him, they joined with him and formed the ectoplasmic titan known as the Beast.

Electric Guardian: A cop formerly known as Frank Agglin, he was driven to madness by the influence of Lord Hawksmoor and murdered his wife in front of his daughter. It is implied that that was only the start of a spree killing that got him convicted and sent to death row. The shock of the Electric Chair killed what was left of Agglin, so all that remains is the pain of what he has lost, his former life all but forgotten as he seeks only to inflict pain upon others as Hawksmoor's Pet. (Voice: Andre Sogliuzzo)

Professor Richmond (Alias: Professor Brooke): An ex-military researcher for a project that was intended to weaponise Ghosts but never properly got off the ground. For unknown reasons he now has been fighting them for years, with Hawksmoor serving as his nemesis. Fairly resentful at his AI clone replacing him with Lazarus without consulting him. (Voice: Joe Morton)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 3, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

berryjon posted:

I'm not getting any audio on your 'Better quality' Video.

Played fine when I just checked, but if anyone else has this problem and it's with the video, and you know roughly what's causing it, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, on the update schedule - there won't be one, the videos will be going up as they are made and as I have time to upload/record them. On the days that I work, I work 12 hour shifts, so will be in no mood to record, but with frequent pairs of days off as "weekends". Also, unlike my previous LPs of Dog's Life and Haunted Mansion (Where I recorded half of the footage for the former in a day), this game is actually quite challenging, so playing ahead will be more important for me. I currently have 3 vids worth of gameplay recorded, and on my practice file I'm two areas/videos ahead of the recordings, so I can know how to solve puzzles and work out strats for hard fights (And they do get hard, at the end of the area that will be covered in video 5 I had my first death due to a really tricky fight). The next video is almost ready though, I am working the coming three day weekend so it will be uploaded and posted on Monday.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Here's the new update: The start of the swamp: The Swamp Graveyard

Welcome to Louisiana. It's time to meet the locals! By the way if any issues come up with the videos let me know. i'm using the same process I used for Dog's Life so it should consistently go without incident as those did, but if something changes it'll be good to know earlier rather than later.

Also, something to mention: I really like the music in this game. The game is trying to be atmospheric but also knows that it is a goofy action more in the House of the Dead of Resident Evil 4 vein so the music is actiony but in a minor key. Mysterious but ferocious It sounds like "Oh, god I'm fighting creatures beyond the phsyical plane that I can't understand :ohdear:... Well, if I can't comprehend them, then LET'S RIP EM APART! :black101:"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 27, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Another day off, another update: Welcome to the pleasant mining community of Oakville: Enjoy your stay! The residents are really friendly. They won't want you to leave...

I just felt I'd add - this LP is giving me that fantastic feeling of "Oh, that was in this game!" as I am hit with flashbacks of the cooler parts that come later that I had forgotten about since my last playthrough. Love that feeling...

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 3, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Figured I'd get the Bayou out of the way. The next 5 videos however will all be much more varied in types of gameplay/environments, so get hype for that. After this point the Swamp soon gets awesome. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Handgun has infinite ammo so you can use that to knock ghost energy out of the enemies if worst comes to worst.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's time for a more interesting level - this one has *~two puzzles~* to play with. YAY! Far fewer enemies too. This is the game giving us a short break from too much combat, while saving the true ordeal for later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We explore the Hilbilly Stronghold, AKA the Shanty Town. A big fight and lots of plot await us!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We tear back the veil and begin to look into the true face of the DeMontford family. Apparently it's no accident her name contains the word DeMon :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

berryjon posted:

Just how long is this game? It seems to be running for a while now, and we're still dealing with the first objective and finding The Professor.

We are reaching the end of the swamp now. We only have the second "layer" of the mansion and a boss to go, so 2 more swamp videos, then a brief jaunt back to the school/hub before the second main area. There are 5 main non-school areas that I can recall, some short, some long. Also, to be fair the plot of each area can be fairly intricate, the swamp alone has had a few interesting twists on the usual narrative thus far.

Also I find they do interesting things with the length. each area feels distinct from every other, even within the same level there is a distinction between sub-areas. The next video's mansion has the same layout as this one, but it has enough differences, and plot clarification, to keep things interesting.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 18, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't normally do next day updates, but I'm working until Wednesday, so here:

This may be the actually scariest part of the game, or at least the most atmospheric. Either way it contains one of my favourite visuals so far.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 19, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On the final video of the Swamp, mateo360 joins me as we introduce ourselves to the first boss... The Swamp Phantom.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We begin to explore the New School and meet new foes, and a new friend.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We finish the New School and get a lot of backstory on our principle characters. Lots of dialog and plenty of jokes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Update: My Roxio is having problems that reinstalling hasn't fixed this time, so while I have 2 other videos that just need editing any after that may have a delay, unless the issue can be resolved before a upload the last recorded one. Currently working with Corel customer service to figure things out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

New episode: We begin the second "proper" level of the game, the Ghost Ship. This one will not be nearly as long as the Swamp, we will clear this in a brisk 4 videos, but it's an interesting level in it's own right.

By the way, does anyone have any insights about the game, characters or level design, or comments or criticisms of the game so far?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We explore a slow but relatively interesting part of the Ghost Ship, with a somewhat unique challenge and context for the feud between Captain Kraken and Freddie Fortesque.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In which we explore the depths of the Ghost Ship, and begin preparations to bring the fight to the Beast once and for all...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We finally have our showdown with Captain Kraken, wrap up the Ghost Ship and get our first glimpse of level 3! I love this level transition, probably my favourite one in the game. I have actually recorded the entire game at this point, so all that's needed now is to edit and upload the final recorded videos over the next few weeks!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In this video we begin exploring the third level, the Prison Island known as Devil's Scar (I screwed up and called it Devil's Tear in the commentary) This is where the plots start feeling a little off, likely due to the game starting to run out of time or money, as the prison has two major characters but they have literally nothing to do with each other. Both parts are well told and fully explored but they could have tied things together better. The story in the swamp is the most cohesive, but even the boat's characters were all relevant to each other, even if the events surrounding the boss himself were a little rushed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We investigate the Prison interior and conclude the story of the prisoner nicknamed "Houdini", while moving on to the chilling tale of an unrelated inmate... Also a pretty neat puzzle shows up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Figured I'd release this one a bit sooner cause I like the storytelling in this section of the prison. In this video we conclude the main Prison level and finally get some closure on a plot point. Enjoy :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We complete the prison level once and for all, navigate my personal favourite section (aesthetically and conceptually), and arrive at the final level.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We begin the final level and begin to feel just how disjointed the plot of the game is, which is a shame because the cutscene that closes the video is one of my personal favourites. Still, the level is interesting, despite being kind of tricky to navigate and being easy to get lost in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In our penultimate update we blow seven kinds of hell out of the lab and see the reason that the AI is my second favourite character in this game. Also a nice poignant bit of gameplay after that that I like. After this there is but one more video to do, then the LP will be finished. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

And with this final video, the LP is complete. I hope you enjoy seeing the end of the game, and watching me play through it. If you have any comments about the game, or the LP, feel free to say so. I will submit this to Baldurk for the archive in a few days.

• Locked thread