Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Having traveled many days, you have finally reached Mount Dawn, the volcano where the temple of Summer's Dawn lies. The temple was carved ages ago into the side of the volcano by the Ancients, using methods since forgotten.

The temple itself was not hard to find, as it's the most prominent feature in the surrounds, and having ascended the slopes of the mountains you have finally reached the temple and entered. The heat is sweltering, but not unbearable: while hot magma still sloshes around in the volcano's caldera, the temple itself seems to be somehow insulated from the worst of the heat.

You find yourself in a large entry chamber: a wide staircase leads up to an elevated platform at the end of which are three corridors. At the end of each corridor is a large stone door, largely nondescript save for Ancient symbols carved on them. The door of the middle corridor has a very large and prominent lock on it, but the other two doors at the end of the left and right corridors have no such locks.

Corn emerges from your hair, looks around the room and chirps excitedly.

"If I had to guess the way forward lies behind the door in the middle. We should probably look for a key. Unless you want to try and kick the door in. But be careful: breaking doors makes a lot of noise and might alert monsters to our presence."

What do you do?

[A note specifically about your elven ability to detect secret doors: I won't expect you to hug every wall to find secret doors. If there is a secret door in a room I will check if you discover the secret door in secret, and if you do find one I'll telegraph the presence of a secret door to you in the narration. Don't worry: I won't be hiding anything necessary for advancing through the dungeons behind secret doors. However, if you suspect that a certain wall may hide a secret door, such as by having found a map of the dungeon, you can declare that you'll be actively searching for a secret door, which will pretty much guarantee success although it'll take some time.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
[HA! You read my mind as I was literally about to check for Secret Doors]

Eiry, The Hero of Seasons

HP: 6
Armor Class: 6
BAB: +2
Weapon: Sword, Great (1d8, 2d4; One-handed, Two-handed)
Fray Dice: 1d6

Eiry, being a stoic and a mute by choice, nods her head in agreement while Corn hides back into her hair. Looking between her two options, she eventually decides to take the left door and goes to open the door.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

The door opens with a simple twist and turn of the handle and Eiry finds himself in a room much like this one:

The room consists of three walkways, each separated by a chasm that reaches way down into the darkness below. Acrid smoke is slowly rising from the chasms, meaning that they undoubtedly lead straight into the fiery heart of the volcano. A door leads to the west at the end of the walkway you are currently on; there is another door leading north from the middle walkway; and on the walkway furthest to the right you can see what is undoubtedly a chest of some kind.

Also, you spy creatures on each of the three walkways: some kind of smiles, gellating as they move slowly around the walkways, all looking extremely pissed. There is one on each one of the walkways.

The slime on the walkway is surprised, having not noticed you yet. Surprise: 1d6 2

Corn offers some sage advice: "Watch out! Those are red slimes! They are slow to move but quick to anger! If it hasn't seen you you can probably just walk around it without stirring it. When attacked they like to split into smaller slimes."

Should you wish to attack the slime it has 2 HD (making it ineligible for using your fray dice) and an AC of 9 (it's very slow-moving and doesn't have much by way of natural defenses).

What do you do?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Eiry, spying the treasure chest on the right side and knowing the right door was unlocked, goes back into the prior room and, assuming this causes no issue, goes around to the right door and enters that hallway.

[When I get there, if its surprised, I'll try to sneak around it. How do I do that?]

[If It's not surprised and strikes, roll initiative for me and we'll fight.]

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Surprise: 1d6 4

As you enter the rightmost walkway through the door the door creaks slightly, and the slime immediately turns to you, staring at you with its little angry eyes. It slowly starts crawling towards you, with murderous intent in its eyes.

[I'm using the rule from Solo Heroes where the hero always goes first unless they are surprised. That'll save us some rolling. So, combat time it is. Also, I'll try to telegraph what the enemy is planning on its turn so you can act accordingly. Its current intent is to crawl towards you and attack.]

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eiry pulls out her great sword and gets into a crouched fighting stances. Going "Eyah!", she takes a swing at the slime.

1d20 + 2 + ??? = 20, Hit. Edit: 29, just saw you gave the AC.

2d4 = 3,4 = 2 damage

[I know the slime is 2HD so its dead]

Eiry, after vanquishing her foe, goes to open the chest.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

As Eiry walks towards the chest Corn emerges from her hair: "Wow, way to go! Apparently when you take them out in one swipe like that, they don't have time to split."

[note: remember that your Str bonus applies to melee damage as well: you can only apply it to one die per damage roll, but you get to choose which after rolling. So, just now you could've boosted that 4 to a 6, dealing a total of 3 damage in one attack.]

Opening the chest Eiry finds inside it... a key? Wow, I wonder what that might open!

What do you do?

Covok
May 27, 2013

[Good to know about the damage]

Eiry looks at the key and puts it in her knap sack. While Eiry could go through the main hallway, her desire to explore is telling her to go back to the left hallway and see where that goes. Eiry goes back through the main hall and to the left passage way.

Seeing the slime in her way, she decides to pull out her sword and attack, regardless of its surprised or not.

1d20 + 2 + 9 = 13, miss

Her swing flies right over the slime's head as it slinks into itself to dodge.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Attack: 1d20+2+6 23
Damage: 1d6 6

The slime, having dodged Eiry's attack, slams it body at him hard. Eiry takes 2 points of damage from the assault.

[Also, since you're using Target20 attack rolls, remember to add +1: this bonus is needed to bring the math in line with Target20 so you'll still hit an AC 9 creature with an attack roll of 10]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

HP: 4/6
BAB: +3

Eiry is knocked back by the attack and lands on her rear. She flashes red for a few seconds while she makes her second strike.

1d20 + 3 + 9 = 25, Hit

2d4 = 3, 4 + 1 = 4, 4, 2 damage

With her second strike, the slime poofs into dust as Eiry stops flashing red. With the threat over, she heads into the door on the left to the next room.

• Locked thread