Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Carter kept the weapons flowing to Indonesia and covered for them politically while they practiced genocide in East Timor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

The Kingfish posted:

Carter kept the weapons flowing to Indonesia and covered for them politically while they practiced genocide in East Timor.

whoops

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/07/21/asia/indonesia-genocide-panel/index.html

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Like I ain't canonizing him but "jimmy carter was bad because my trump-voting dad said so" is not gonna fly in my lf.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Like I ain't canonizing him but "jimmy carter was bad because my trump-voting dad said so" is not gonna fly in my lf.

I wasn't saying he was a bad president?

Just said that speech was pretty bad, and that the country itself was going through an insanely bad rough patch. George W. Bush was a bad president. A lot of the problems he caused to the county happened under his watch and were directly related to his poo poo policies.

Carter? Inherited some pretty awful poo poo, and had the misfortune to have a decades worth of problems happen in the span of 4 years. There's a massive difference between being a bad president and being a president who presideded during bad timing. (Again, if he was running in 1992? He'd have won election, re-election in a landslide. World was stable as gently caress back then. Not so much from 1968-1981).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

The speech was spot on. Telling people to quit wasting gas in a shortage is not bad policy. You don't water a golf course in a loving drought.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

The speech was spot on. Telling people to quit wasting gas in a shortage is not bad policy. You don't water a golf course in a loving drought.

It's a difficult thing to push for during a non war time situation. I mean, he practiced what he preached. He installed Solar Panels on the White House, and did various things like that. But I imagine it was a difficult sell to a lot of people.

Re: The Energy Crisis. I do think one of the massive "bad luck" moments for him was Three Mile Isle and Love Canal btw.

IIRC he was really wanting to push Nuclear Power as an alternative during the energy crisis. Had those not happened? Perhaps things would have been smoothed over in that regard.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

lol

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you can tell america they're racist, sexist, and historically a blight on the planet but being right while proclaiming those things will not secure you the power to fix them, in fact the opposite

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Apr 26, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
also huge :lol: to any president of the USA being 'good' in the moral or non moral senses

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

KomradeX posted:

Service industry wages and working conditions aren't much better than being unemployed

and have existed since time immemorial, and are the only jobs left even in anarchy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

and have existed since time immemorial, and are the only jobs left even in anarchy

I highly doubt that out from under Capitalism they would pay slave wages

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

KomradeX posted:

I highly doubt that out from under Capitalism they would pay slave wages

wherever, and whenever the rich retain power, service jobs will be paid poorly, so as to prevent the financial independence of the people providing the service, so that at no point do the individuals have another option besides continuing to provide the service

the service industry therefore, is a perennial feature of the economy, and also perennially lacking in adequate pay

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

wherever, and whenever the rich retain power, service jobs will be paid poorly, so as to prevent the financial independence of the people providing the service, so that at no point do the individuals have another option besides continuing to provide the service

the service industry therefore, is a perennial feature of the economy, and also perennially lacking in adequate pay
is it

wage....

slavery????!

or

debt peonage

there has got to be a better way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The thing about that "breaking up the banks won't end racism" quote is that it turns into a gerrymandering diatribe that becomes a tautology about minorities voting democratic to end racism

• Locked thread