Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Lots of people talking in lots of threads about why Hillary lost the general election, and I honestly forgot what her campaign message was...

Was it something to do with The Fight Song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

well i can tell you what the message wasn't

it wasn't "vote for the only candidate who isn't donald fuckin trump who can actually win, gently caress off third parties"

maybe why she lost? idk

i guess imo i'm done with clintons and thinking about clintons, perhaps forever. sorry i added nothing to your good thread Montasque

You added a lot. Thank you for your service.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Was this her message?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

breaklaw posted:

But really her message was

Women for Hillary!
African-Americans for Hilary!
Hispanics for Hillary!
LGBT for Hillary!
Muslims for Hillary!

...and as for the rest of you racist, misogynist, xenophobic Islamophobes, well... Demographics is Destiny. It's 2016, get over it!

Kinda checks out.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Pretty sure HRC's twitter writers room was bigger and better funded than her Wisconsin team.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hitlery Rotten Clintoon.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Judging from this thread it seems her campaign messaging was a little muddled. Hopefully be 2020 she will figure that out, and will be able to defeat Trump once and for all.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOUFsCS7xYE&t=623s This is the moment Hillary lost. She was loving trashed.

I was in Europe when this happened and never saw the video.

"Here she is tonight, pretending she doesn't hate Catholics"

What the gently caress.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

"Hello Democrats."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNsTuvoNnaI

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

slave to my cravings posted:

Hillary won all 3 debates :confused:

History will say she won the first one, lost the second, and tied the third.

The history books will be written by Trump's grandchildren, and they will be coloring books.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I remember everyone(including myself) in the old Trump thread being so smug about how inept the Trump campaign's ad strategy was. We all laughed at how they were late to ad buys, how their ad buys were misplaced, how their ads seemed amateur hour...

Then during college football games I would see Trump ads targeting the rust belt's economic concerns. Not a single Hillary ad to counter them.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I bet if Hillary used D-12's "FIGHTING MUSIC" instead of "FIGHT SONG" she would have won.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Not a Step posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd3UMU85od0

lol, just lol. How can she even call herself a politician?

E: Oh god that was during the primaries. How did people still vote for her?

This video autoplayed after the one you posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dY77j6uBHI

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I just heard Fight Song play over the pa at Walmart.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

Walmart continues campaign to torture workers.

I wonder if they play that song all the time at Walmarts. I'm sure they do.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

the first half-dozen or so pages were serious examples of the clinton campaign falling on their face on messaging so congrats thread you did it

It was an ernest question op.

That campaign... Yikes.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Condiv posted:

ok, so this thread has been running for 14 pages, does anyone know what hillary's campaign message was yet? considering what a great campaign she ran, someone on this forum's gotta know what her message to the public was

This thread proves that Clinton had defused and neurotic campaign messaging. There really isnt one consistent answer to "What was Hillary Clinton's campaign message?"

Lets just look at the fundamentals of political campaigning/messaging - your slogan. This is something high school kids understand when running for class president. What was her campaign's slogan? Was it STRONGER TOGETHER, or I'M WITH HER, or LOVE TRUMP'S HATE, or FIGHT FOR US?

Her campaign had almost twice as much money, a massive team of experienced political operatives, some of the best surrogates imaginable, and a vast ground game.

And despite all this... She lost to a hat.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I don't like Peter Daou.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Like a small boat.... On the ocean....

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Clinton, Cuomo, or Booker are the only dems that can lose to Trump in 2020.

So it will be one of them who is the 2020 nom.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The 2016 election was just like Jurassic Park.

The dems were the hubris filled scientists and capitalists who thought they could control everything. Newman was the Russians, and Trump is the T-Rex.

Me? I'm mr. Jeffery Goldblum - Life, it found a way. Ah-ha.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I think hubris was her campaign message.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Typically when you attack a candidate you're trying to depress the turnout of their supporters, which is why all of the anti-trump commercials focused entirely on racism and sexism rather than his catchphrase literally being "you're fired". If Hillary is going to be marked as corrupt, why not mark Trump as an out of touch billionaire? If you can't splice in you're fired with some closed factory stock footage, you suck.

I never understood why they didn't focus on Trump being a crook who ripped off the little guy... It seemed like a home run. They did a bit with Trump U, but then Trump would say something outlandish and they would just focus on his evil words not his evil actions.

Modest Mao posted:

The idea that the MAGA hat is bad design and the H is good is some bizzaro world poo poo

the MAGA hat looks like americana, like literally every gas station across america sells those types of shoddy hats and it actually owns. It's incredibly easy to understand and an aggressive visible symbol, so much so that students have been banned from wearing it

The H is so laughably bad and as someone who works in an extremely visual field this is the most palpable out-of-touch-coastal-elite story I've read yet

MAGA hat knock offs were being sold across America. People don't bootleg ineffectual designs. Didn't see a lot of "forward together" or whatever hats or shirts...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

LOL

Andorra posted:

"Trump voters are all racists/sexist"
"Trump is racist/sexist"
"Vote your conscience"
"No wait why are you voting for him"

Vote your racist/sexist conscience

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

There is a critical scene in Shattered, the new behind-the-scenes campaign diary by Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes, in which staffers in the Hillary Clinton campaign begin to bicker with one another.

At the end of Chapter One, which is entirely about that campaign's exhausting and fruitless search for a plausible explanation for why Hillary was running, writers Allen and Parnes talk about the infighting problem.

"All of the jockeying might have been all right, but for a root problem that confounded everyone on the campaign and outside it," they wrote. "Hillary had been running for president for almost a decade and still didn't really have a rationale."

Allen and Parnes here quoted a Clinton aide who jokingly summed up Clinton's real motivation:

"I would have had a reason for running," one of her top aides said, "or I wouldn't have run."

The beleaguered Clinton staff spent the better part of two years trying to roll this insane tautology – "I have a reason for running because no one runs without a reason" – into the White House. It was a Beltway take on the classic Descartes formulation: "I seek re-election, therefore I am... seeking re-election."

Shattered is sourced almost entirely to figures inside the Clinton campaign who were and are deeply loyal to Clinton. Yet those sources tell of a campaign that spent nearly two years paralyzed by simple existential questions: Why are we running? What do we stand for?...

...In the Clinton run, that problem became such a millstone around the neck of the campaign that staffers began to flirt with the idea of sharing the uninspiring truth with voters. Stumped for months by how to explain why their candidate wanted to be president, Clinton staffers began toying with the idea of seeing how "Because it's her turn" might fly as a public rallying cry.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-on-the-new-book-that-brutalizes-the-clinton-campaign-w477978

Was this her message?

Montasque has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Apr 21, 2017

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

"Stumped for months by how to explain why their candidate wanted to be president, Clinton staffers began toying with the idea of seeing how "Because it's her turn" might fly as a public rallying cry."

My god... It's perfect.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

The line is from Alexis de Tocqueville, I was confused when she started saying it because I had previously only heard it from conservatives. Maybe that makes sense now I guess :negative:.

Goldwater girl till the end.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Shattered is a pretty good read. On chapter six right now, and it starts with a great story:

quote:

As the fog of summer was still clearing, when few people paid close attention to politics, the New York Times had just published a story about a coming Clinton campaign strategy shift. Hillary would “show more humor and heart,” the headline declared.

“In the piece, Clinton’s top aides—including Mook and Palmieri—admitted that there had been significant blunders made by the campaign, notably the months-long denial that there was a problem with her use of a private e-mail server. And that the American public perceived her as too robotic and aloof. But, they promised, the real Hillary would emerge following Labor Day weekend.

That Hillary, they claimed, was relatable to nearly anyone, downright funny, and didn’t take herself too seriously. More than anything, they said, she was authentic. The image makeover was timed to preview Clinton’s appearances on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and countless other lighthearted programs where Clinton would dance the Nae Nae, reveal that she kept up with the Kardashians and Homeland, and ask hosts to playfully tug on her hair.

Buell was displeased. By announcing a strategy to make Hillary seem more real, her team had “actually achieved the opposite effect. Clinton supporters across the country read it the same way. It was a pure what-the-gently caress moment—a major unforced error that buttressed qualms about Hillary’s honesty and trustworthiness at a terrible time. Buell, channeling the collective outrage of the pro-Clinton forces, scolded Mook.”

“Why would you say something like that?” Buell demanded. “There’s nothing more disingenuous than having the campaign quoted within the article.”

Mook didn’t have a good explanation because there was no good explanation. Instead, he defended himself by assuring her that the campaign’s data looked strong.

This book makes Mook and Palmieri look like such loving idiots.

Montasque has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Apr 22, 2017

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Typo posted:

tbf I got a feeling this is partially because they mostly interviewed ppl who aren't mook and are trying to cover their own asses by blaming someone else

Absolutely, Mook is the fall guy. to get to Palmieri's incompetence you need to read between the lines just a little bit... I mean she was in control of HRC's media outreach, which was mostly awful and arrogant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Chelsea Clinton is also friends with Ivanka Trump.

• Locked thread