Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Debt forgiveness... for earners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Remember when she explained to that dude who was almost wrongfully executed that the death penalty was a good thing?

lmao i forgot about this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I do still adore that decades of both valid and non-valid attacks on Hillary were essentially pitched as a case of

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mc Do Well posted:

well you see Unions are also a big money interest just like the Koch Brothers.

ftr I'm pretty sure I died for a few seconds the first time I saw this line being trotted out on these very forums.

like holy poo poo lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

etalian posted:

Bad dems this arguement again and again.

Regardless if Clinton or Trump wall street bankers would get many high positions in the government especially for regulatory agencies.

It's fine as long as they're on our team!!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

It's what they offered!*

*Please ignore terms put forth in regards to payment for speaking engagements

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Grondoth posted:

But Bloomberg was mixed in with other people?

that's what's so horrifying about it!!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think Bernie probably would have accepted just because he'd take defeating Trump that seriously.

He would have never, ever been asked.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

What genre will hillary 2020 use for their campaign theme song? Grindcore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r16NjjDPLlc

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm very glad that I very rarely see people use it anymore. Of all the things to attack trump with, a mildly xenophobic insult has to be the most ignorant of them all.

It's fine when we do it, you see.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

and if the intern's not secure they're likely keeping his/her mouth shut about their harrowing existence for fear that someone will think they're "whining"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mugrim posted:

I literally know two different people who graduated from the Carter school of journalism who have no idea why someone close to me who also graduated didn't just take an unpaid times internship for 2 years like they did post grad. In their minds it's no biggie to live with no income in NYC for 2 years, until you finally get a 30k/yr job in manhattan that lasts another 2 or 3 years before you make real "live in manhattan" money. Why yes, one of the people comes from an oil family in the middle east and the other comes from a tech magnate in SK, meanwhile my friend comes from a single mother who works as a receptionist in one of the poorest cities in the nation, but in their mind this is just 'mental barriers'.

I know a Stern grad who is super 'woke' who comes from hyper old money. He wanted to pay for his Harvard grad degree by working for it, rather than having his hyper rich parents pay for it. So instead, he found a family friend who owned a hedge fund that Goldman Sachs works with, got a job at Goldman making 160k a year, bought a house in hoboken after a few months using his salary as a down payment, and after two years, sold the house for a profit to pay for his harvard degree, and is going there now.

This guy compares this experience to peers in harvard who went to state universities and came from poverty because he 'worked his way up' to pay for it. He wouldn't say it's the same, but he definitely says "I get where you're coming from".

His parents own a % of costa rica and during this entire time he was travelling around the world on weekend trips, but from his perspective he cast aside the shackles of privilege to prove he can do anything on his own.

Please NMS this poo poo holy hell.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mugrim posted:

I gotta tell you, I never realized how loving poor my family grew up until I met these fucks. To me being rich meant your family eats out (even fast food) at home when it's not anyone's birthday. And mind you, we were white working poor, not even the kind of working poor who also have racism on top of it.

Then I met people who legitimately thought that you were poor if you didn't travel outside the country each year, or if you *gasp* rented.

The internship issue with journalism is going to be our generations Achilles heel. Outside a very small select group of millennials, if you read someone's article chances are their parents have real real money. Granted, I'm sure it's always skewed rich, but now with the massive unpaid internship requirements in select locations like DC and NYC, I have to imagine it's a whole different beast where the only people able to do these programs are those with family paying rent and bills for years straight.

We'll have dozens of pundits collectively asking "Wtf is a fish fry" as we collectively think of creative ways to get rid of them.

Hell, as a first-gen college student even paid internships were out of my reach. I hosed up out of high school and didn't return to college until my mid-20s and graduated a few months back. Having to pay my own insurance was crippling (especially after one particular rate hike) and essentially locked me out of internships because the poo poo-rear end pay wouldn't be able to keep up with living costs in a different city (because there are no jobs in my major where I'm at) + insurance, and I couldn't afford to eat any kind of loss. I adored asking other students at my student organizations how they dealt with some of these things because the answer was always either "I or my family knew someone in the area I could live with for free for the duration" or "parents handled it."

Other stuff fed into this, of course - I'm still not sure if going to community college first to get my brain going again was a good idea. It might have cut my final loan amount in half, but when I transferred I was hilariously behind in my major's curriculum and couldn't even dream of an internship until I'd finished my junior year.

College loving sucks when you have no money and no guidance.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

How can you poo poo down the wholesale section of a farmers market

isnt it all supposed to be wholesale?

i just want to save a good typo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

pushpins posted:

I think the messege was "We're going to work to end poverty in ways that will not put a homeless shelter in your neighborhood or put too many "low income" students in your childs school"

No wonder Sam Bee loved her so much

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

logikv9 posted:

I don't watch any of those shows but I gather that Broad City is good (because people can't stop fawning over it) and Girls is bad (because Lena).

well the creators of the former didn't have to be told that black people exist in NYC so...essentially correct.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

wait is this true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's ALMOST Human!

• Locked thread