Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mae is having none of that? She's totally enamored by that babe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Mae and Bea talk it out. Also, I discovered potluck deriving from potlatch isn't true, and that's actually an example of folk etymology.

EDIT: Looks like LPix seems to be down so here's a direct link for now. https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWJJZNTImCac

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 16, 2017

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Olive Branch posted:

Mae and Bea talk it out. Also, I discovered potluck deriving from potlatch isn't true, and that's actually an example of folk etymology.

Have a link while LPix sorts itself out

efb

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This "Proximity" chapter really solidified Night in the Woods as my favourite game.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I really enjoyed this chapter. I can really relate to Bea on multiple levels and even though I like Mae, it's cathartic to have someone point out the ways in which Mae is a screw-up directly to her. Also their relationship is very well-written. This is what I was hoping for.

But please don't take this the wrong way, as coincidentally-timed as it was, I kinda wish you guys hadn't argued over the best part.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Spookyelectric posted:

I really enjoyed this chapter. I can really relate to Bea on multiple levels and even though I like Mae, it's cathartic to have someone point out the ways in which Mae is a screw-up directly to her. Also their relationship is very well-written. This is what I was hoping for.

But please don't take this the wrong way, as coincidentally-timed as it was, I kinda wish you guys hadn't argued over the best part.
I blame Maple entirely for that. I recommend you watch that bit muted, honestly.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Olive Branch posted:

I blame Maple entirely for that. I recommend you watch that bit muted, honestly.

I watched this last night and was going to come in here stating this today, expecting some backlash for it.

At the beginning of the game I felt the conversations you two had played well with the themes the games explored, but the past couple of episodes the banter had been downright awful. I did have to mute this last one at times because the argument that was going over it was youtube-comment-levels of tedious pedantry

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Not to worry, next time some off-topic discussion starts up like that, I'll nip it in the bud. Consider this one a poor episode and commentary in one of the best story segments in the game. It's partly my fault for wanting to answer the question in detail, anyway.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 16, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The argument over what is fun is a pretty big one, both with video games, as well as tabletop and even museums and events. I think saying you want to do something "fun" is a useless term, and instead you should focus on what experience you want to have.

One of the best "fun" events I've had is playing a game called Dog Eat Dog, where you're exploring the idea of colonialism. In the end our natives had lost everything and fully integrated, with many of of the characters dead or driven off into hiding. Not good times, but it was an intense game, with a deep story, and at the end everyone at the table spent a good hour unwinding and talking about what happened, and how it related to what was going on in the world.

As for Proximity, and friendships, the argument didn't match the subject, but it did match the tone of two people having hard clashing opinions and flaring tempers and emotions. It got a touch nasty sounding at times, and yet, in the end, you both are still friends. Friends can fight, and still care for each other.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Just wanted to let everyone know that Maple and I are working on the next five episodes currently, and all that's keeping me from uploading one of them is that audio editing is proving to be tiring. I want to have one up by the end of Sunday, though!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

It's kind of sad this is the first time Mae's done anything helpful for a stranger.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Olive Branch posted:

It's kind of sad this is the first time Mae's done anything helpful for a stranger.

Well she did grab that soda for the janitor in the first episode.
On the other hand, he was like her closest friend at that time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Mae is perhaps more of a social moth blapping facefirst into everything. Or a social Captain Walker, dropping white phosphorous on all her interpersonal relationships

Does Maple Leaf having a poem and not wanting to share it make him the Fisherman Jones of this thread?

So, we see here that the Deep Holrol Hollellows have been through the hole in the sky too, and left quite a lasting impression on the other side.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The moment we ended recording for that episode, Maple Leaf opened a map and berated me for my idiocy. What do I know of the Midwest? Less than I should, clearly.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hawaii still has monarchs! We're occupying it illegally. Well, every state is like that, but Hawaii's history in particular.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Are you sure that the "rats in the walls" story is by Lovecraft? I read something a lot like that, but it was a Cthulhu Mythos story by Stephen King.

Edit: My bad, that was a different story.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Never noticed it before, but the graffiti defacing the tunnel mural is signed, "SP".

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I thought of a more embarrassing story: I misgendered a girl for the longest time in my senior year of high school because she had a deep voice, dressed baggily, and had an androgynous name. Basically, when she said she was a girl late in the year after commenting how few girls there were in the class, I challenged her and said she was a guy. I realized what I said immediately afterwards. So what are your most embarrassing stories?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Olive Branch posted:

I thought of a more embarrassing story: I misgendered a girl for the longest time in my senior year of high school because she had a deep voice, dressed baggily, and had an androgynous name. Basically, when she said she was a girl late in the year after commenting how few girls there were in the class, I challenged her and said she was a guy. I realized what I said immediately afterwards. So what are your most embarrassing stories?

One time in college a Holocaust survivor came to speak at a history class. I had my laptop out and was multitasking as is my constant compulsion. One of the other students in class noticed and called me out in an email to everybody else. They only apologized when they found out that I have mental problems.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Alright folks, I'm traveling out of state for a month and a half to visit family over the summer, which means no updating of the LP for that time. Given that, I'm dropping two more updates on you now, putting the LP on hold at a suitable spot to pick up when I return early August. Enjoy the good weather!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 5, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Graveyards are a huge waste of space and environmentally damaging. Get rid of 'em.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Dead people intended for burial tend to be pumped full of stuff to hold off decay, don't they?

As for sinkholes

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I remember getting to this point of the game and my jaw dropping. I had expected the entire ghost thing to be either mental illness, or something to do with the hobos. Instead we get the Baby Boomer Kill Cult, like something out of a bad horror movie.

And then that gunshot at the end? you better believe I was jamming on that mouse button to see what happens next.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Oh, believe me, I played past that point just like you did. At least, until I realized I'd probably run out of recording memory, and had to pause. I have footage for the next episode already but it'll have to wait until I come back home from vacation!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Olive Branch posted:

Oh, believe me, I played past that point just like you did. At least, until I realized I'd probably run out of recording memory, and had to pause. I have footage for the next episode already but it'll have to wait until I come back home from vacation!

Have fun and avoid any small towns in the middle of nowhere!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Graveyards are a huge waste of space and environmentally damaging. Get rid of 'em.

Donate yer body to a university for anatomy lessons. Doctors will appreciate it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I found both the Night in the Woods Twitter and Scott Benson's Twitter while following the US Senate healthcare vote tonight. Good sources of fanart for this wonderful game. Can't wait to play it again when I return!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 28, 2017

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Just giving a quick update to say that this weekend, we resume the LP as intended! Unlike Mae I recently got a job again and have been Gregg-ing out, earning my bucks.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Yay!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Turns out that, like Mae, I don't always hold up my end of the deal, but here's an update!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Very cute little side game.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I am extremely happy that this is back. This is quite a fitting LP for a game like NitW, in many ways.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
[Does this still count as a double post?]

There are some nice and neat news out there.

(Link contains some very slight spoilers for future content, but nothing major, as far as I can tell)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I am having serious issues with audio recording ever since I got a new microphone, where my commentary is desynced from Maple's heavily. That means I have to comb through the entire recording and add silence/spaces where necessary. That saps my will to keep an update schedule on top of work and plain old leisure time but drat it, I want to keep playing this game blind.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
As long as the LP continues, even if slowly, it's fine :)

Since you brought up parallels with the main story: The way Adina keeps running laps through an enclosed, inescapable space visiting the same few places again and again is certainly reminiscent of Mae's day-to-day life, with the decisive difference that Adina actually has some sort of goal, flimsy as it may be. And that alone immediately lends a completely different feel to the gameplay, at least as far as I can tell from watching you play.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I think the order in which you put the snowmen might have an effect on what they say too, I've definitely seen playthroughs where people picked the same items I did but wound up with completely different conversations.
Invariably, though, they reveal that Godtender Brown is a silly old bear.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Now that it's a new year and things are a bit more stable at Chez Olive Branch, expect updates to be much more regular, depending on Maple Leaf's availability.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Looking forward to the finale of this story.

One of the developers mentioned on Twitter that some fans somehow got the idea that Lost Constellation is a depiction of real historical events in the world of Night in the Woods and started speculating whether Adina might be Mae's ancestor or something. Quite ironic that the limits of interpretation actually came up as a topic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

They really nailed that :eyepop: hosed-upedness of folklore, and "what is this story about?" is a perfect reaction to that.