Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The Death Chill 3 cover image is three bloody skis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Apologies for the delay, audio editing on the next set was kind of a drag to do. But we're back in business!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Maple Leaf raises an interesting criticism of the game at this point. Are the characters' backstories more dramatic and sad than they need to be? I don't think so.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I'm with Olive Branch on this. Unless Mae's issues prove to have some heretofore undivulged supernatural background, there is nothing in any of these characters' backstories that are unrealistic to me. Not the abuse, not the mental illness, not the misdirected aggression, not the money troubles, none of it. Hell, it's not even unusual to see all these problems clustered together. I see it in places way less destitute than Possum Springs. Possum Springs might not be causing the problems, but the fact that it's a dying town with no prospects and little in the way of support or resources sure isn't helping anyone.

This is Millennials: The Game with a dash of magical realism, and if we hadn't had the maybe-ghost then the only part of this story that didn't reflect reality would have been the fact that everybody's a furry. I've met some of these people.

(Side note: I work for a big bank as a customer service representative for home equity loans, and Mom Borowski could so easily be one of my customers that the episode where she was talking about the debt gave me a pang. Too drat real.)

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I think Maple Leaf brings up a fair critique. I personally agree with Olive Branch, specifically because--in my experience from my smaller hometowns--hosed up kids tend to attract one another and form friend groups together. However, I totally see where Maple Leaf is coming from; it's definitely a lot. Maybe a token "normal" friend would've helped the group's chemistry.

Also Between the World and Me is an utterly fuego book, it's a totally a worthwhile read.

Angus is best boy. He deserves better than hanging out with Mae.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 15, 2017

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The whole dream bonfire and fake constellations things would be the first sorta demo game, Longest Night. This is perhaps a good time for it.

I consider these backgrounds quite far away from in-your-face overwrought tragic pasts. The experiences here aren't over the top or even uncommon, they're very specific and integrate well with the characters, there's no competition over them, and coming up at inappropriate times and being aggressively rubbed in anyone's face is entirely the result of Mae's complete lack of social grace, rather than any sort of "let me tell you about my fetish for telling you about my fetish" situation. It's friends talking and commiserating and, very importantly, coping in their own ways with variable success.
It's not even entirely past stuff. Angus was heavily shaped by his experiences but it is by and large very much in the past for him, whereas Greg's situation is ongoing and will most likely follow him for life. If anything, Bea was the "normal" friend up until her mom died, about 2-3 years ago, which is still pretty recent for life events like that. Germ? Is a weird little dude? Draw some more question marks next to him???
And what about Mae? Well, that's one of the big questions of the game, isn't it?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

The whole dream bonfire and fake constellations things would be the first sorta demo game, Longest Night. This is perhaps a good time for it.
That is, in fact, a bonus episode coming up after this one!

:siren: There's a vote for the next evening in Possum Springs! Mae isn't going ghost hunting two days in a row: a girl's gotta have fun with her friends! Once again, Gregg and Bea are both willing to chill, so who do we hang out with?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gregg.

Rinaldo
Nov 8, 2009
Bea.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

This was a good episode.

I actually agree with Maple Leaf about this dream - this is probably just Mae talking to her subconscious, especially given how it mirrors what Angus said earlier about atoms. I also think that the frustration Maple Leaf was expressing with how the catgod is just completely opaque and useless is pretty much how Mae probably feels about it, given her dialogue with it.

Anyway, let's go hang out with Bea. Maybe we can mooch some roach hotels for those weird extra-dimensional bugs from her hardware store.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Bea

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Gregg.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

GREGG.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Bea

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
B

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bea.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Atomikus posted:

Gregg. Rulz. OK?!

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
Bae

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
You know, if this dream-creature originates from outside Mae's mind, then it probably doesn't speak the same language. So in terms of its communication, maybe this is the best it can do. Even if its words are directly translated, that's usually not good enough, because different languages are structured differently. That's why direct translations are often poor and don't really communicate meaning, because language vocabulary isn't one-to-one interchangeable. I think it's quite reasonable that something communicating through layers of subconscious would have the meaning of its words obfuscated without necessarily intending that. Otherwise it's just her subconscious, in which case dreams are rarely straightforward anyways. Usually it bothers me when a character is being purposefully opaque in a story, but I think this is one of those rare cases where cryptic answers are actually justified by the narrative.

Also, Bae.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
I feel the drama of the day to day people's lives has dragged on too long, and has been really long winded for how, i dunno not very interesting it all is.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Ill have thoughts once we're done, but for now voting for Bea

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I feel the drama of the day to day people's lives has dragged on too long, and has been really long winded for how, i dunno not very interesting it all is.
If I have one criticism to share of this game so far is its slow pace. It reminds me of a soap opera, and the supernatural elements do seem to clash with the menial quite a bit. For what purpose, though, I can't say yet.

I'll close the vote here. Bea is our friend to chill with next time! For now, though, enjoy a bonus episode!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Mae is a real bummer sometimes.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
This conversation, while great, always cut me a little. Being religious, I've had this debate, and it's still really hard to come up with any answers other than selfish ones such as "it helps me trust that the world isn't a pile of poo poo" or the like.

Mae lashing out like that though, it's fairly typical. We want answers, and to make sense of things. To find patterns, as was said, which is a central theme of this game so far.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I like Pastor Karen. Her character really clicks with me. She's "bad at pastor" because of what she says to Mae, but she's also "good at pastor" because she advocates and works for the less fortunate. She's a Paul vs James metaphor in a character. Interesting.

I think Mae's conversation with Bruce is almost a microcosm of one of the game's minor messages: you can't escape where you're from. I live in a rural area and I've seen stuff like this happen. A community that could do a lot of good willingly chooses not to, not because they're evil, but because they're desperate. The US is built on this vision that you can escape the circumstances of your birth, but in many impoverished areas, that's blatantly untrue. The opportunities just don't exist, and people there become desperate to cling to whatever dwindling things the dying town has left, be it historical significance, a specific export, a dying culture, or whatever.

It's related to why Bea's anger at Mae early in the game makes a lot of sense to me. Bea is very sensitive to the fact she's an economic prisoner and will never escape her situation. Mae had this rare opportunity to escape and blew it.

Game is deep.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Bruce totally is going to kill himself.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Or the city council (or whatever the hell those guys are) will happen to him.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sylphosaurus posted:

Or the city council (or whatever the hell those guys are) will happen to him.

Don't bring me down 'bout Bruce

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah I get that feeling too. It's sad, but it's his choice in the end. Mae can't stop it or help him, so all she can do is listen.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Man, I didn't even consider the possibility Bruce may off himself and he's just trying to paint a "everything's gonna work out" angle to either throw Mae off or to convince himself that he will have a wonderful afterlife. As of this post I haven't played past the nighttime activity with Bea and the "morning" chat with mom, so it's still a mystery to me whether or not his talk of going away is... well, permanently away from anywhere.

Spookyelectric posted:

I like Pastor Karen. Her character really clicks with me. She's "bad at pastor" because of what she says to Mae, but she's also "good at pastor" because she advocates and works for the less fortunate. She's a Paul vs James metaphor in a character. Interesting.

I think Mae's conversation with Bruce is almost a microcosm of one of the game's minor messages: you can't escape where you're from. I live in a rural area and I've seen stuff like this happen. A community that could do a lot of good willingly chooses not to, not because they're evil, but because they're desperate. The US is built on this vision that you can escape the circumstances of your birth, but in many impoverished areas, that's blatantly untrue. The opportunities just don't exist, and people there become desperate to cling to whatever dwindling things the dying town has left, be it historical significance, a specific export, a dying culture, or whatever.

It's related to why Bea's anger at Mae early in the game makes a lot of sense to me. Bea is very sensitive to the fact she's an economic prisoner and will never escape her situation. Mae had this rare opportunity to escape and blew it.

Game is deep.
What kills me about the dialogue here and living through the goddamned Trump presidency is that it all comes down to community action. I get that the town council wants businesses to come to Possum Springs and revitalize the region by showing Possums Springs in its best light, I really do. But, for gently caress's sake, you can't play off on austerity and belt-tightening when, as the pastor put it, poverty is right loving there and there are ways to help that don't involve getting on your knees and praying to the investor gods that your city's attractive enough to bring in money. Politics plays a huge role in this, too: look at Kansas. Look at North Carolina before the Republicans took control when it was an up-and-coming booming state, and after, when everyone started getting driven away by austerity politics and bathroom bill signings. If this game's writing weren't so great the depression on this would be fatalistic and maudlin as opposed to bitterly, darkly humorous.

The youth in these small towns really are fighting the world that's stacked against them. Late stage capitalism, folks!

And regarding Bea... You'll really enjoy the next time Mae and Bea hang out.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
Being one of the ones that "got away", I have to say watching this LP is pretty heavy.

An idea from a great book called Limbo by Alfred Lubrano is that people who come from rural or poverty backgrounds become what he calls Straddlers: they don't fit in either world completely anymore without intense effort, and they sit on the edge of both. Moving into a white collar life with a blue collar background is part of the American dream, but it isn't smooth. People expect it to be linear in terms of progress and happiness, there's no contingency for people like Mae-- you aren't supposed to come back, you're realizing THE dream!

When you are someone like Mae who falls off that edge and firmly back into one life, you have so many problems the least of which is the resentment people have that you couldn't make it, that people wonder why you were forced to leave such a good opportunity (because nobody would do that willingly, of course), and the political nonsense that is small-town America. I deal with the other half: I've never gone back home and with where I am now my background, due to fun stereotypes, makes people assume I'm under-educated and less intelligent. It makes you feel guilty and bad, and isn't something you can just shrug off (my accent sticks around, all my stories from childhood can't be recreated, and so on).

Anyway, keep on with the episodes, I dig what you're doing.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The lovable Lori and the gracious Germ chill with Mae.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
I always figured that the reason they chose all these creatures and animals was, besides a stylistic choice, also a nod to the idea of how one tells a serious story via fables.
Fables have often had animals acting out the various parts, very culture, and the art style kind of even reminds me of a stylised fable of some sort.
From Aesop (5bc) to Kenji Miyazawa (early 1900s), tales about humanity, emotions, stories, relations, have often been told with animals as the actors. Somehow the fact that they aren't directly attributed to recognizable people both makes them more relatable somehow but also makes the "story" transplantable across cultures and times.

I think if it was set in a much more realistic town with identifiable real life landmarks with real life people, it would actually have less of an impact and a narrower appeal to different cultures than it does with the colorful fable-like imagery, because the characters are like people, but not like any people you happen to know, and thus the experience is more relatable and transferable.

Or its easier to draw

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kudos on keeping up with the musicians, they're a fun little subplot that lots of people miss.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imp_of_the_Perverse

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life, see that girl, watch that scene, dig in the awkwardness caused by Mae being a total social goober.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
So do you think May is just really socially inept or was she deliberately trying to destroy Bea's chances with the college kids? Because that sure seemed intentional, if not necessarily malicious, to me.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

Captian Nuke posted:

So do you think May is just really socially inept or was she deliberately trying to destroy Bea's chances with the college kids? Because that sure seemed intentional, if not necessarily malicious, to me.

Mae has serious social issues. Inability to stop saying whatever comes to mind and having no ability to judge the impact of the words you're saying on others is fairly common for socially inept folks, I would imagine.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Maple Leaf posted:

Assigning personality traits to- *interrupted by twerking animation*
Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think Mae just really really took a hating to Chester. He probably reminded her of people she knew from college, students actually surviving and thriving in the university environment, and Chip there really just reminded her of her own poo poo and whatever went down that made her leave.