Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Maebea we should hang out with Bea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I used to keep rats as pets. Domestic rats are very clean and well-groomed creatures (and they ought to be, because cleaning themselves is a nervous tick for rats, and rats are nervous all the time). They're also very affectionate and intelligent and I would highly recommend them as beginner's pets, keeping in mind that they live very short lives.

But wild rats? Nope. Not friendly, would not pet.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'm really impressed with how this game develops its characters and attaches you to them.

When mom looked upset, it was the first thing I noticed, and I actually felt nervous and bad. Gregg is changing subtly as well and it makes me want to hang out with him next, to be sure he's okay. A lot of story-focused games with frankly superior gameplay often fail to do this very basic thing: make you care about their characters. It's good stuff!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
From this video, I get the impression that Maple Leaf is a very "black and white morality" kind of guy.

When I was nine, I used to fight with a buddy of mine for fun. We would punch each-other, throw poo poo, etc. Sometimes we would get injured. We thought it was fun. Of course, we were also both picked on in school, we both had trouble at home, and we both felt like there was no point to anything. I don't think that meant we were "bad people." Gregg strikes me as the sort of person who never grew out of that mentality.

I don't think Gregg is a "bad person," but I will agree with Maple Leaf that he is destructive. I don't think that automatically makes you "bad" though. You can make bad decisions or enjoy destructive things without being objectively, universally bad. If I had to guess (and I'm sure we'll find out), Gregg probably feels hopeless and trapped. We already know he suffers from untreated mental illness (all that manic behavior in earlier episodes makes a little more sense now, doesn't it?) and that he feels rejected by the world. A flippant and casual attitude towards death, "crimes," and breaking things is probably how he copes with his perception that he doesn't have a future. I can hardly blame him for feeling this way. He failed to escape this place and now he's stuck in a place that's being left behind. To me, he's one of the most realistic depictions of someone trapped in a decaying rust belt town, not a "bad" person.

But he probably shouldn't play stabbing games for fun.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Put it in the BAG! Which is to say:
1) Bea
2) Angus
3) Gregg

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The Death Chill 3 cover image is three bloody skis.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
You know, if this dream-creature originates from outside Mae's mind, then it probably doesn't speak the same language. So in terms of its communication, maybe this is the best it can do. Even if its words are directly translated, that's usually not good enough, because different languages are structured differently. That's why direct translations are often poor and don't really communicate meaning, because language vocabulary isn't one-to-one interchangeable. I think it's quite reasonable that something communicating through layers of subconscious would have the meaning of its words obfuscated without necessarily intending that. Otherwise it's just her subconscious, in which case dreams are rarely straightforward anyways. Usually it bothers me when a character is being purposefully opaque in a story, but I think this is one of those rare cases where cryptic answers are actually justified by the narrative.

Also, Bae.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I like Pastor Karen. Her character really clicks with me. She's "bad at pastor" because of what she says to Mae, but she's also "good at pastor" because she advocates and works for the less fortunate. She's a Paul vs James metaphor in a character. Interesting.

I think Mae's conversation with Bruce is almost a microcosm of one of the game's minor messages: you can't escape where you're from. I live in a rural area and I've seen stuff like this happen. A community that could do a lot of good willingly chooses not to, not because they're evil, but because they're desperate. The US is built on this vision that you can escape the circumstances of your birth, but in many impoverished areas, that's blatantly untrue. The opportunities just don't exist, and people there become desperate to cling to whatever dwindling things the dying town has left, be it historical significance, a specific export, a dying culture, or whatever.

It's related to why Bea's anger at Mae early in the game makes a lot of sense to me. Bea is very sensitive to the fact she's an economic prisoner and will never escape her situation. Mae had this rare opportunity to escape and blew it.

Game is deep.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I really enjoyed this chapter. I can really relate to Bea on multiple levels and even though I like Mae, it's cathartic to have someone point out the ways in which Mae is a screw-up directly to her. Also their relationship is very well-written. This is what I was hoping for.

But please don't take this the wrong way, as coincidentally-timed as it was, I kinda wish you guys hadn't argued over the best part.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Never noticed it before, but the graffiti defacing the tunnel mural is signed, "SP".

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Yay!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Literally feeding the youth to an ancient thing to keep a dying town alive and prosperous for the old, and then expecting young people to continue where they left off. I thought it was very apt.

Edit: Spoiler tagged, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
That rat utopia experiment you were talking about in the episode was a famous John B. Calhoun experiment that is the source of numerous other studies and works. It's also what inspired the book Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien, and consequently, the famous Don Bluth animated film "The Secret of NIMH." It also supposedly inspired the Skaven from Warhammer Fantasy.

Another thing about that study in regards to human behavior: near the end of the experiment, a significant portion of the rat population would never leave their homes, staying inside their little rooms, receiving food whenever they wanted, and constantly grooming themselves. They had no drive to leave, not even to reproduce. Calhoun called these rats "the beautiful ones." Some link this to the hikikomori phenomenon in human behavior, and that the experiment is evidence that "hikikomori" is directly related to population density and immediate access to comfort.

Rats!!

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 9, 2019