Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Made somekind of base :getin:
The game is fun, but its also buggy.
Clearly a EA.

The thing that needs most improvements is the UI.
the game doesnt tell you why your course plotting is failing in navigation menu, it doesnt either tell you how to fix it.
docking panel doesnt have any relative direction indicator, and no angle indicator either (relative to docking target ofc)
and navigation panel gets really cluttered when theres a ton of stuff on orbit, and theres no way to tell if you have already visited the object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
So you're flying to other bodies in the system and stealing base pieces to shove on your base?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
As long they don't start simulating structural integrity of such setups... I'd love to build some sort of borg cube of modules. Needs more modules with docking spots on top and bottom, tho. Seems like everything's mostly planar.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
All I want from a game like this is some sort of alien growth that can only be managed environmentally and can cause infections that show up on other players (whose objectives become to infect or die)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Agreed on the part about it not being too hard , difficulty is good. It's that half the commands are not listed or something you would never guess in a million years

If my Eva suit uses arrow keys to select a target. Why then use the mouse wheel combined with T in RCS docking mode ?

And I'm still 50/50 on docking. Often times I can't get the docking assistant to show up but it will still dock anyways if you line everything up properly

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Combat Pretzel posted:

As long they don't start simulating structural integrity of such setups... I'd love to build some sort of borg cube of modules. Needs more modules with docking spots on top and bottom, tho. Seems like everything's mostly planar.

theres u-juncture at least which makes stations vertical, but haventh found it in the wilds yet. Only seen it connected to premade stations you can spawn on

Heres my current creation

it has hangar and :science: fusion reactor connected to starting module

The hangar module has 6x docking ports for ships
and 2 cargo spot's

currently those 6x docking ports seems to be disabled :(
but i imagine space traffic controller might become a thing if this game stay's popular (imagine 8xgoons trying to dock at once).

Traffic controllers menu of docking clamps.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 27, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dark Off posted:

theres u-juncture at least which makes stations vertical, but haventh found it in the wilds yet. Only seen it connected to premade stations you can spawn on

Heres my current creation

it has hangar and :science: fusion reactor connected to starting module

The hangar module has 6x docking ports for ships
and 2 cargo spot's

currently those 6x docking ports seems to be disabled :(
but i imagine space traffic controller might become a thing if this game stay's popular (imagine 8xgoons trying to dock at once).

Traffic controllers menu of docking clamps.

That's cool , I wonder how many different module types are floating around out there

I had no idea there was a hanger so that's one thing

Also does anyone know how enviro and power syncs up with different modules ?

If I have everything turned on in my starter module and connect to the starter ship , do they share the load now ? Or is there an invisible wall at the docking clamp

Some modules hook up and everything is green. Others show the environment controls offline , and I can't see them listed in the control panels when browsing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's actually a module called "life support" that's a proper version of whatever comes on your ship/starter module and allows you to pump air between various sections and have an entire big station pressurized (or de-pressurized) by pumps like airlocks, instead of having to deal with individual corridors and manual overrides and getting knocked over by airflow all the time.

Before you get that, pressure control is kinda a pain you just live with.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Anybody know of any server hosts that are providing Hellion servers? If there's enough interest I may put up a server for us all

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hezzy posted:

Anybody know of any server hosts that are providing Hellion servers? If there's enough interest I may put up a server for us all

I'd be down for this , especially if it was stable

Nothing more frustrating then connecting to a server with 30ms ping and having the modules twitch around like spastics

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://server.nitrado.net/deu/offers/hellion

Nitrado offers Hellion servers (Or rather, servers with hellion support) if we want a central EU location in germany.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you're in europe, French servers (FR#33-39 or something like that) provide a very smooth experience for me. DE ones are very hit or miss. I get 12 ping to some, but then it lags to poo poo, which suggests their CPUs are poo poo or are poo poo virtual machines with shared cpus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think I'll sit this out for a week or two. Now FTL doesn't want to work.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
For those who were having trouble docking certain things together, the devs posted an info dump on the Steam forums here.

DEV Smorty posted:

Docking port compatibility:

Standard Docking Port <> Standard Docking Port
Airlock Docking Port <> Airlock Docking Port
Cargo Docking Port <> Cargo Docking Port
External Docking Slot <> External Docking Port
Grappling System <> Standard Docking Port, Airlock Docking Port, External Docking Port

Is there any particular server people have been building on?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Snaxx posted:

For those who were having trouble docking certain things together, the devs posted an info dump on the Steam forums here.

Is there any particular server people have been building on?

Ah that will help , so grappling is the universal docking port it seems

I asked before but how does one add RCS fuel to a module ?

Say I dock a corridor module to my starter pod , that docking port view is now obstructed by the new module

I could control the docking from said new module to dock a further attachment to it , but it has no RCS fuel

It is the trick to use the undocked module to bring itself to the being-built base module ?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Grappling system is just arms that are at the back of the ship, rather than an actual port. When you "dock" they extend and grab a docking port by the sides, rather than actually dock to something. Obviously meant as a way to haul poo poo around, rather than actually dock, though it works as a hard version of "lock speed" option that's actually relatively bug free :v:

I wonder if there will ever be the option to clamp onto junk modules with that. I'd love to make the vicinity of my station an obstacle hazard, and it'd make salvaging less of a pain too if one could attach that.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
The grappling system also has the fun fact of being on the rear end of your ship and ether by design or bug your controls dont change to match the veiw in the screen so everything is backwards

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

I asked before but how does one add RCS fuel to a module ?

You currently cannot. They said next patch it will be treated it as a separate cargo slot linked to the parents cargo terminal. For now, make every burst count.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Scarecow posted:

The grappling system also has the fun fact of being on the rear end of your ship and ether by design or bug your controls dont change to match the veiw in the screen so everything is backwards

My controls were the right way around with respect to the CLAMPS when I did it by mistake on Saturday, though? (I had intended to attach the port on top to the station. Whoops.)

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

quote:

Hellion CEO joins Twitch streamer Xocliw's chat (and eventually Discord), answers questions, reveals secrets and development plans (Dev joins voice chat approx at 3 hr mark)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hellion/comments/5wh718/hellion_ceo_joins_twitch_streamer_xocliws_chat/

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I played this over the weekend for a game. Took about 5-7 minutes to load in, then I was floating in space looking at a space station.

I actually thought it was another loading screen but then I died. Then it unloaded me back to the start screen after another 3 minutes.

Is this normal for load time? Am I supposed to figure out how to get inside the space station within like 15 seconds? I couldn't even find the door.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

So I played this over the weekend for a game. Took about 5-7 minutes to load in, then I was floating in space looking at a space station.

I actually thought it was another loading screen but then I died. Then it unloaded me back to the start screen after another 3 minutes.

Is this normal for load time? Am I supposed to figure out how to get inside the space station within like 15 seconds? I couldn't even find the door.

Seems like a bug. You should start inside a cryo-pod thing inside a little chunk of space station.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also those loading times seem obscenely long, my pc takes a few seconds to maybe up to a minute if the server is poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Seems like a bug. You should start inside a cryo-pod thing inside a little chunk of space station.

That didn't happen. I'll try again.

Truga posted:

Also those loading times seem obscenely long, my pc takes a few seconds to maybe up to a minute if the server is poo poo.

For real? I chose some New York server with a low ping, and it took a very long time to load in.

I'll try it again though. It looked very pretty! But I didn't want to wait another ten minutes for another go.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
How do I detach something from the grappling connector on the ship?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Bedshaped posted:

How do I detach something from the grappling connector on the ship?

Need to detach from the item being grappled.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I guess it's probably new but the 2nd and 3rd pages of the F1 help screen detail a whole bunch of what people are complaining about.

re: the controls I mean

incoherent light fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 28, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Unless they fix the servers and how that ruins docking this game is screwed.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
if there's enough goon interest, i'll shell out for one of those nitrado servers based in germany.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ugh 90% of the time the docking 'hud' doesn't show, i get the regular reticle and sometimes arrow pointing to where the module is I need to steer towards

But I don't get the velocity indicator, distance, or the helpful (which way 'round' should I spin to line up) reticle... if I back my commando away from the terminal I can see it on the screen, just not when I'm actually USING the screen

super frustrating and makes docking a crap shoot as to if I'm right way round or not

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spaceships posted:

if there's enough goon interest, i'll shell out for one of those nitrado servers based in germany.

I'd maybe hold off. It's fun to get goombah stomped through the bottom of the ship by an elevator, after being told nothing would happen, but the game should probably work better

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

frank.club posted:

I'd maybe hold off. It's fun to get goombah stomped through the bottom of the ship by an elevator, after being told nothing would happen, but the game should probably work better

Yeah this. Give it at least a few months before we see what happens.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah don't anyone spend anymore money on this until it's made it through a few big patches at least

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/playhellion/status/836668840675164160

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Sappo569 posted:

Ugh 90% of the time the docking 'hud' doesn't show, i get the regular reticle and sometimes arrow pointing to where the module is I need to steer towards

But I don't get the velocity indicator, distance, or the helpful (which way 'round' should I spin to line up) reticle... if I back my commando away from the terminal I can see it on the screen, just not when I'm actually USING the screen

super frustrating and makes docking a crap shoot as to if I'm right way round or not

I think that means you have the wrong port selected on your module, or target. I think it only pops up if both ports are compatible to dock.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unless they fix the servers and how that ruins docking this game is screwed.

Yeah this seems like a pretty fundamental problem that will just get harder to address down the road. Seems like it would require a total rewrite of the netcode.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The netcode is right now probably "optimized" (as in, not touched at all) for lan/very low latency connections, as will be any netcode straight out of the first developer's hands on an early access title. That said, netcode is in my (somewhat limited but still) experience 20% implementation, and then 80% tweaking the details until it works right for your particular game, and the fact that a full on ksp style simulation glitches as little as it does, it tells me their implementation is pretty good. They need to figure out a way to do client prediction well and tweak some numbers, and it'll work fine. Might take a while tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The game needs a permanently visible crosshair to make targeting small buttons faster.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

I think that means you have the wrong port selected on your module, or target. I think it only pops up if both ports are compatible to dock.

Normally I'd agree that I was doing something wrong , but the dock still engaged

I know it was two compatible ports , like I said I could see the docking crossbar with arrows if I exited the RCS laptop , but as soon as I entered it bam no cross hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The game needs a permanently visible crosshair to make targeting small buttons faster.

Holy poo poo this , why do you have to play find the centre of the screen to place items or anything else

Very silly and hopefully fixed in the patch tomorrow

• Locked thread