Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've seen two bodegas in brooklyn that have a bitcoin atm. i'm not sure why they have them

Where? I'd genuinely like to see one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

There's one in Sheepshead Bay, by the subway

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

TheWeepingHorse posted:

There's one in Sheepshead Bay, by the subway

This is surely a metaphor for bitcoins ease of use for the average money-carrying human

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
sweet mustards are really only good for pretzels

if you think hard enough its an analogy about bitcoins

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Toadvine posted:

This is surely a metaphor for bitcoins ease of use for the average money-carrying human

LOL if you don't just pay for everything by swiping your debit card but instead hand over actual notes and coins like this is the 1950s

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I like money

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when I was a kid my dad always kept ketchup in the fridge

so I always thought that the purpose of ketchup was to cool down hot food

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lunixnerd posted:

LOL if you don't just pay for everything by swiping your debit card but instead hand over actual notes and coins like this is the 1950s

Sometimes the pot shops won't take cards. :(

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
bit coins have very little liquidity, much like a GOOD :siren: whole grain mustard :siren:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Enfield posted:

its amazing and shpuld be used in everything... tuna salad, potato salad, hot dogs, burgers, bbq sauce, you name it

Enfield posted:

i disagree, and think its amazeballs

these are just a couple of concise statements they aren't "ramblings" at all gently caress you

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Three Olives posted:

No one said you couldn't make money with Bitcoins or that their value would not go up, what we said is that the entire system is fundamentally flawed, has no inherent value and everyone involved in it hand waves away how fundamentally broken and unfixable it is as a currency or a way to store value. Beanie Babies used to be a great investment too and let's not forget tulip mania.

Yeah, people lucked out with Bitcoin, yeah, I knew all about bitcoin when it was at a price where I could have easily potentially made millions on it but generally when you see something horribly retarded the best thing to do is not throw a bunch of money at it hoping you are the guy that gets lucky and not the one that gets screwed because it is obviously horribly retarded.

I guarantee that there are more people that lost a bunch of money on Bitcoin because of scams, incompetent exchanges, mining hardware and general just dealing with a unfixable, inherently horribly flawed currency than made out like bandits.

Oh and the currency basically only exists right now having any value because of the dark web, China and randsomware, if China decided to outlaw it tomorrow, which they could easily do and very well might Bitcoin would be worthless almost immediately.

Basic point, don't do horribly loving stupid poo poo because you think you might get lucky.

The other issue is that even more so than with something like stocks or bonds the value of bitcoins is highly theoretical. We know what the value is supposed to be but part of why that value is so strong is that no one not doing highly illegal stuff has any reliable way to remove large amounts of money from the system. If I have a million dollars in stocks and I sell all of them off, I might cause the price of that stock to plummet, but I'm also probably still going to be able to sell my stocks and get paid before that happens. No one really knows what happens when someone tries to cash out of a large bitcoin sum because there's no way other than purchasing fantastical quantities of illegal products to actually do that. No exchange has enough money on hand to give you more than a few grand, and so there's not an actual way to acquire the money from your large cash investment. The best you could do is to go through the arduous process of buying and selling tens of thousands of dollars in Steam games or a similar method and that's not really a feasible option. Part of why bitcoin is rising is because this attribute makes it extremely good for doing crime. If the only way you can cash out of the system is by committing more crimes, IE buying more drugs, then you are tied to the system to get value from it. That means that unlike in the real world if I front you a million dollars to buy cocaine I don't have to worry about you betraying me to the feds and then skipping the country with the cash because no matter where you go the only way for you to gain value from the million dollars in BTC is to spend it on more drugs, implicating yourself in a crime and because you're guilty in a crime you're unlikely to sell out other criminals. The fact that all the groups who have the resources to cash you out for real money are tied to organized crime means that you can either heavily and secretly control the exchange rate (many think tanks theorize that the actual exchange rate for BTC to real money if you're getting it from people who can actually cash you out for tens of thousands is astronomically lower than the "real" exchange rate) and you can control who's allowed to cash out. This means you have normal people not tied to crime who are essentially propping up the currency by investing it while having no realistic way to get their money, basically making it so outside people with no input are acting as investors in your drug business.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
I'm a bitcoin millionaire - want me to show you my steam library?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Lunixnerd posted:

are you an actual baby? the transition to nearly all big business accepting cards was like 1994-2002, you gen-z piece of poo poo

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
*tries to sell 3 bitcoins, market crashes*

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nolan Arenado posted:

Sometimes the pot shops won't take cards. :(

yeah only drug addicts use cash in the current year

we should ban cash to cut down on crime

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Captain Gordon posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/02/23/crytpocurrency-bitcoin-all-time-high-116359/98315128/

Goons: Don't buy/mine bitcoins, bitcoins are a scam, dumb and bad!
Reality: Current bitcoin price: $1,163.59

I should have never listened to any of you, I could have retired rich today!!

Whats next, pre-ordering videogames may be actually a good idea??!

You would have sold them for 30 bucks each and spent it on gay hookers and gotten aids and died so really goons saved your life if you think about it.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Lunixnerd posted:

I still gotta buy weed and dollar slices get off my nuts

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

To be fair I only heard about bitcoins by the time you needed a mining rig and weeks of processing power and electricity to mine one bitcoin

so it was really my fault, I suppose

Much like everything else in my lovely life

It's all... my... fault... I'm a worthless piece of poo poo... why am I still alive... loving unlovable piece of poo poo... worse than the sludge at the bottom of an old sewer full of rats... that's me... gently caress I hate myself so much and I hate anyone who would love me :negative:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is a matress store called Best Sleep Centre near my work who advertises they accept bitcoin for payment.

I learned I could buy a bed that folds into a chest. What a wild world we live in!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i dont trust any money i cant put in a strippers g-string tbh

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought 15 $99 copies of Diablo 3 collectors edition and sold them a year later for quadruple. Goons said buying that many was a bad idea

it was 2 years later actually

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 25, 2017

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Fauxtool posted:

I bought 15 $99 copies of Diablo 3 collectors edition and sold them a year later for quadruple. Goons said buying that many was a bad idea
u giv soj???

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm considering buying some bitcoin bars to safeguard my assets

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BitCoin-Bars-Set-of-10-1-2-pound-999-New-copper-bars-Total-5-Pounds-/371719467091

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
why goons were wrong about bitcoin: as it turns out, a stupid cryptocurrency backed solely by math, drugs, and the dreams of randian turbo-spergs is still a better option than what's available in some of the more hosed-up countries in this world

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The other issue is that even more so than with something like stocks or bonds the value of bitcoins is highly theoretical. We know what the value is supposed to be but part of why that value is so strong is that no one not doing highly illegal stuff has any reliable way to remove large amounts of money from the system. If I have a million dollars in stocks and I sell all of them off, I might cause the price of that stock to plummet, but I'm also probably still going to be able to sell my stocks and get paid before that happens. No one really knows what happens when someone tries to cash out of a large bitcoin sum because there's no way other than purchasing fantastical quantities of illegal products to actually do that. No exchange has enough money on hand to give you more than a few grand, and so there's not an actual way to acquire the money from your large cash investment. The best you could do is to go through the arduous process of buying and selling tens of thousands of dollars in Steam games or a similar method and that's not really a feasible option. Part of why bitcoin is rising is because this attribute makes it extremely good for doing crime. If the only way you can cash out of the system is by committing more crimes, IE buying more drugs, then you are tied to the system to get value from it. That means that unlike in the real world if I front you a million dollars to buy cocaine I don't have to worry about you betraying me to the feds and then skipping the country with the cash because no matter where you go the only way for you to gain value from the million dollars in BTC is to spend it on more drugs, implicating yourself in a crime and because you're guilty in a crime you're unlikely to sell out other criminals. The fact that all the groups who have the resources to cash you out for real money are tied to organized crime means that you can either heavily and secretly control the exchange rate (many think tanks theorize that the actual exchange rate for BTC to real money if you're getting it from people who can actually cash you out for tens of thousands is astronomically lower than the "real" exchange rate) and you can control who's allowed to cash out. This means you have normal people not tied to crime who are essentially propping up the currency by investing it while having no realistic way to get their money, basically making it so outside people with no input are acting as investors in your drug business.

Did you say that maybe.. regulation is good? No way

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
OP i dunno what the fallacy you're committing is called but the fact is you're a lot more likely to have been that guy who got brain damage from his coin farm or one of the millions of suckers hacked and their coins stolen than the man who cashed his coins years later for a solid profit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Has anyone said buttcoin yet?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I think I actually had like £20 worth of bitcoins in mt.gox when they absconded with the money, but it was like 5p when I got them. I got some emails about bankruptcy but it seemed like too much effort to bother with.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I don't understand how bitcoins work.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I like bit coins and I cannot lie

you other autists can't deny

when a sperg walks in with a weird mining rig

and a dumbass get rich plan

you get sprung

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I tried to use a bitcoin atm once and then it asked for my ID and I thought, whats the point?

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I had dozens of bitcoins but I traded them for drugs

don't do cryptocurrency kids

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
What kind of crazy person buys drugs on the internet?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Bareback Werewolf posted:

What kind of crazy person buys drugs on the internet?

guesses based on my experience buying drugs irl, & observations about the sorts of people who couldn't figure out how to do that:

people who don't work in restaurants/bars/nightclubs

people who look like cops

social cripples with no friends

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Post random trivia about bitcoin that make you laugh.

Bitcoin burns over 400 megawatts of electricity to operate.

Bitcoin achieves throughput of 4 to 10 transactions per second.

A coal fired power plant must burn 53KG (118lbs) of coal per second to produce 400 megawatts. This means every single bitcoin transaction weighs in at a minimum of 5KG (12lbs) of coal burned. It is one of the least efficient systems ever designed by mankind.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Except the bitcoins are worth WAY more than the coal which means that bitcoin is creating value :smug:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Rutibex posted:

how much heroin are you looking for?

I wonder if Glasgow has a high number of Bitcoin users and can you buy buckfast with them?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

guesses based on my experience buying drugs irl, & observations about the sorts of people who couldn't figure out how to do that:

people who don't work in restaurants/bars/nightclubs

people who look like cops

social cripples with no friends

This is the truth, I mean jesus christ, who can't find drugs? There has to be something seriously wrong with you if you can't find drugs without turning to an internet papertrail.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spatial posted:

Post random trivia about bitcoin that make you laugh.

Bitcoin burns over 400 megawatts of electricity to operate.

Bitcoin achieves throughput of 4 to 10 transactions per second.

A coal fired power plant must burn 53KG (118lbs) of coal per second to produce 400 megawatts. This means every single bitcoin transaction weighs in at a minimum of 5KG (12lbs) of coal burned. It is one of the least efficient systems ever designed by mankind.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The core technology of bitcoin is a cryptographically verifiable record of all transactions which is accessible to everyone. Despite this its adherants often claim it is completely anonymous.

• Locked thread