Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paladinus posted:

Buy one, you lying trashbaby.

Everyone can post their opinions on bitcoin in this thread, and they don't have to disclose their position. And you know this. What a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

Prove it. Prove that a significant number of bitcoins are actually being spent like one would spend a currency.

Not being sent between exchanges, but actually being used to purchase goods and services.

Uh you made up claims that they are not being used for transactions. You prove it, and you can't because you freaking made it up. Then when called it on it you asked me to prove it. Great stuff.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

Except I can pay steam in Euros right from my German PayPal and they only way they take BTC is first if a 3rd party company converts to cash and charges you a fee for the service.

No serious company right now is accepting BTC then converting on their end.

That's like saying transactions that go through paypal are less legitimate than going through the store itself!!

Why does it matter that it goes through a third party?? Who gives a poo poo? How did this requirement get suddenly imposed? You go to a store that accepts bitcoins, you send your bitcoins through your wallet, you purchase whatever you wanted to purchase. That's a transaction.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

Of all the dumb hills to die on regarding BTC, insisting it is a currency is the biggest one imo. Like I'll even grant you that you can play with the fire and make some cash if you are willing to risk it and get out before the music stops but my dude it isn't a currency by definition of the word.

You can use the bitcoins to buy things, you even admitted to it except you put the gotcha that it goes through a third party, if you can use it to buy things then that means it's useful for transactions and that's what people are using it for

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I could make a good faith effort to explain to you again why it isn't a currency but frankly at this point I'm just gonna shake my head and lol.

You do that buddy I think the conversation works a bit better when you're shaking and lolling instead of posting

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I can use LEGO to buy things too that doesn't make it a currency.

Does the microsoft store accept legos? Can I use a lego to buy Windows 10 right now?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

They don't accept BTC either, they link you to a company that will take your BTC and give MS actual currency at which point they give you the product.

So yeah actually, I can do that with LEGO too and I even know exactly who to go to.

Ok here is the Microsoft page for depositing Bitcoins:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13942/microsoft-account-add-money-with-bitcoin

Please link me the Microsoft support page for depositing LEGO into your account, thanks

Also can you please provide me a LEGO to USD conversion rate, I have some old pirate sets and I'd like to know what they're worth. Tell you what I'll settle for a block: USD conversion, you tell me which blocks are worth how much.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

trying really hard over there to imagine them as a tangible good (which retains value regardless of its perceived value of others)
lol ok what bitcoins do (because things that exist do things): exist
[ham sandwiches rocks back and forth holding his knees to his chest]

Yes those tulips retained their value! Since they were a tangible good.

Bitcoins are a programmatically generated coin that is being used for transactions, can be mined and sent between parties, and is being used to buy and sell things today. Unlike beanie babies or tulips there is a finite amount of them, a decision that was made intentionally. And they really benefit from the internet being around, which was not really widespread before the 1990s. So yeah, they're different and they exist - there's the actual coins, you can figure out which ones have been mined, you can check the ledger, and you can use them in transactions or exchange them between people.

Are you going to ignore all this and make some dumb burn about everyone who disagrees with you being a retarded child? I'm not expecting much here.

quote:

swing-and-a-miss. it is actually worse than stuffed animals and flowers did at least have some inherent value as products. the make-believe currency sounds strikingly similar to the virtual currency however

"You're wrong, because I say you are, not going to bother to explain just yaknow, can't see a bitcoin so they are fake unlike a beanie babie which you can hold"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paladinus posted:

You lying oval office.

Buy bitcons.

Lmao this poo poo again. You should be embarassed that you post like this. Seriously.

Everyone is free to post in this thread their opinions on bitcoins and you know that. How long can you ignore this poo poo?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paladinus posted:

Answer my main post, coward.

And buy yourself a Notorious BTC.

You are 100% a white noise, belligerent idiot that thinks he can simply repeat himself and others will listen to him?? How did you get to be this stupid? Stop making GBS threads up the thread with these garbage, repetitive posts. No one owes you poo poo.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paladinus posted:

Can you, brainless mutant, explain how your favourite bits (that you can't even buy for some reason) are meaningfully different from Ponzi vouchers that idiots used to accept as real money?

Lmao the guy that made 20 posts in a row of "POST YOUR BITCOINS" and demanding poo poo from people like he's king of the thread doesn't suddenly get to ignore what he posted up to now and just casually join the conversation. gently caress off, the worst poster in the thread by a country mile.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Terrible Opinions posted:

First please answer this.

I asked you first, sorry. If you feel like responding to my question I'll consider responding to yours. In addition the scope of number of scams that bitcoin has to be compared seems to be expanding, in a sort of very annoying shifting of goalposts.

Let me add the latest list:
Bridges one does not own but potentially thinks they own due to duplicity
Stuffed animals
Flowers
Make believe currencies like wompum that people suggested as an equivalent
Homeopathy
Chiropractors
Energy Healing

Latest entries:
MMM in russia
MLM in general

Can you please submit a definitive list of things you believe to be scams that you'd like Bitcoins compared to because this piecemeal stuff seems like it's open ended. And uhh what is the end point we're driving toward here?

"How is bitcoin NOT like the USA subsdizing coal mining!!!! You don't think that corporate welfare is not a scam don't you??"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

How is the US govt pouring a trillion dollars into banks that speculated and making the taxpayers pay for it not a scam?? Ergo the Bitcoin is bullshit

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

Hammy, are you in politics? If not, you should be. You're magnificent at deflection and avoiding straight answers to direct questions. I'm impressed! :allears:

That dude made a claim - oh transaction volume is down. I asked him a simple yes or no "what are you basing this on" and he replied with "uhh explain to me how you feel about MLMs."

If he wants to make claims like "transaction volume is down" then I think it's worth defending the source or basis of those claims. He flat ignored my request for additional detail and instead tried to pin me down on MLMs.

The guy ignoring my followup question to his unsupported claim was the person deflecting and avoiding the straight answers. Did you miss that part?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

vortmax posted:

Seriously Hammy, you're the best. Never stop posting. My investment in comedy gold has tripled since you started posting.

I asked you a detailed question and you totally ignored it, just like that other guy did, how does this work exactly?

*chimes in with ridiculous post*

*gets called on it*

*keeps on trucking whistling along*

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Waffle House posted:

Ham my friend did you just autoban yourself a few times there or is this a completely different Ham Sandwiches who rants about bitcoins

It was seraph84 registering some gimmicks to poo poo up the thread, at least Lowtax got $20 out of it

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

hey remember back when you said your whole point in this thread was to call out the people who in the past said bitcoin would never go up and lots of other stuff but and yet never even attempted to dig up anyones posts for your major call-out show? as though you wanted to to keep things as vague as possible so you could make blanket accusations toward unspecified posters which could then also be generally attributed to the people you otherwise argued with... almost like "straw" "men"

It's not time yet -way too early, what's the rush? The thread will be here a while, Bitcoins will be here a while, this will be much more obvious in a few months, the posts aren't going anywhere.

Like, I could sit there and argue with those articles quoting Jamie Dimon, or we can see what Jamie Dimon says in a few months, and what other wall street CEOs say as well.

Divabot wrote his book so that gives a pretty straightforward bar to clear, give it a few months to a year and I suspect it will be a very different discussion we'll be having.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Waffle House posted:

Seriously some specific salt:

Yeah, that guy is super mad at YOSPOS apparently.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I already told you that capitalism is a scam.

Actually then we agree because I think capitalism is a scam too. Perhaps one day we'll decide that Bitcoins are no more of a scam than the financial industry was and we can all post in harmony thereafter.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

so literally just strawmanning until then and the whole point of you posting is now based on an event that hasnt occurred yet?

and yet you continue posting

??? I don't have a crystal ball that says what will happen to bitcoin which has been my stance all along. I think people predicting its doom have been wrong all along because it hasn't imploded yet and the trajectory seems upward, not downward.

Yes, the implosion of Bitcoin and its total collapse and the loss of the money that went into it, the event that anti bitcoiners have been predicting the whole time, has not come to pass. I'm here and I'm waiting. You guys made the apocalyptic prophecy right? THE END OF THE WORLD FOR BITCOIN IS COMING.

And I'm here chiming in going "Well, the world doesn't seem to be over yet. Quite the contrary, it seems to be doing fine."

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

hes in there with all the same posts. ignores exchanges stealing everyones bitcoins. ignores zero-sum and non-zero-sum (negative) aspects of bitcoin. a lot of that "i could have been a millionaire if not for goons" salt

Hmm yes the exchanges that haven't been an issue for 6+ months and the new ones have been remarkably stable but keep getting brought up as shady into October. Or that ridiculous chart that was being reposted for months. And the way people only repost losses from reddit but refuse all stories about gains because they must have lost all their coins along the way.

quote:

(he probably hyperventilates when asks someone for a lottery number suggestion and then that number doesnt win because what if the number he wouldve picked would have won!?)

This is ridiculous headcanon #2 you've dropped. So basically anyone that disagrees with you, you picture as a child rocking back and forth, getting owned by you, and now it's apparently some total idiot that doesn't understand how the lottery works. These are great dude.

I really look forward to going back through those old threads and seeing the positions people held and how vehemently they held them. Remember, they knew bitcoins were total garbage and would implode, and they were just helpfully warning others. They were not wrong, and they don't continue to be wrong (and even write books about their wrongness).

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 17, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Terrible Opinions posted:

Dude no you didn't. I'm quoting a question from before that you ignored.

Sorry, please link me your post where you ask me that question? I actually can't find it in the thread. I don't really understand where you got that post from or why you're claiming I ignored it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

July 5th:
One of the world's biggest bitcoin exchanges has been hacked, loses ~$1M
http://www.businessinsider.com/south-korean-bitcoin-exchange-bithumb-hacked-ethereum-2017-7

Bitcoin can't even go 6 months without one of the biggest exchanges getting hacked or "getting hacked"

but keep talking about how all of the exchanges are super stable and aren't ever problematic... starting NOW

September 7: Equifax breached, affecting the confidence of the entire financial industry

Wow yeah those crapass south korean exchanges can't even stop a 1 million dollar hack by comparison, clearly Bitcoin will implode by *checks watch* November 2017

Did that exchange close? Did anyone lose money? Are you misrepresenting normal noise and churn? Stay tuned folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

Does Equifax actually hold anyone's money?

And yes as the article states about $1M in bitcoins was lost when that exchange was hacked. They didn't give everyone a hair cut like Bitfinex did (which was illegal as gently caress and is probably why Bitfinex can't bank in the US anymore) but a bunch of people losing money in collapsing exchanges is par for the course when it comes to bitcoin

No it isn't, it isn't even par for the course in the article you linked. It's incredible to watch nonsense claims spring into existence. An exchange was hacked, a small one with 30k customers in South Korea, they ate the loss and everyone was fine. You are of course trying to present otherwise, despite that being what happened.

Here's another cool link:

http://fortune.com/2017/09/21/sec-hack-edgar/
https://www.sec.gov/news/public-statement/statement-clayton-2017-09-20

quote:

The Securities and Exchange Commission, the top U.S. markets regulator, disclosed on Wednesday evening that hackers had infiltrated its database that stores public company financial filings, potentially allowing intruders to trade on inside information.

Jay Clayton, the SEC’s chairman, said in a statement that the agency first detected the breach a year ago. In August, he said the SEC learned additionally that it “may have provided the basis for illicit gain through trading.”

• Locked thread