Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Post random trivia about bitcoin that make you laugh.

Bitcoin burns over 400 megawatts of electricity to operate.

Bitcoin achieves throughput of 4 to 10 transactions per second.

A coal fired power plant must burn 53KG (118lbs) of coal per second to produce 400 megawatts. This means every single bitcoin transaction weighs in at a minimum of 5KG (12lbs) of coal burned. It is one of the least efficient systems ever designed by mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The core technology of bitcoin is a cryptographically verifiable record of all transactions which is accessible to everyone. Despite this its adherants often claim it is completely anonymous.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

Tumblers work pretty good at staying anonymous. You give a dude Bitcoin from your wallet, and then a different wallet you own mysteriously gets some Bitcoin from yet another wallet.
I was getting to that. You're going to spoil my post about money laundering! :v:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

How do you cash out and exchange your bitcoins for USD?
Very carefully.

Generally the strategy is to put all your money into an exchange - for instance one originally designed to trade Magic The Gathering cards - then wait for it to be hacked. At this point your wife finds out and divorces you for squandering your children's college fund on magic beans. Meanwhile the fat nerd running the exchange is sent to Japanese prison. Some years later the fat nerd emerges at half his original weight, while you die of a drug overdose trying to self medicate your crippling depression and alcoholism.

The fat nerd then retrieves the money which was 'hacked', cashing out the bitcoin.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Baiku posted:

Always inverse goons.
You are a goon. Unsure how to interpret this statement as there are usually two liars in the riddle. :v:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Bitcoin ATMs are a funny concept because it takes upwards of 10 minutes for a transaction to complete and sometimes much longer.

I remember some goon trying out a small transaction at an ATM like that and being stuck for about an hour. ~The currency of the future, but not the present~

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

One of the most famous original bitcoin exchanges, Mt.Gox, was not named after an obsure mountain but is short for "Magic the Gathering: Online Exchange"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

Everyone keeps saying this but no one has ever shown real proof. :shrug:
I can't say I blame you for being skeptical. Funny but true is the nature of bitcoin though! https://web.archive.org/web/20070525044536/http://mtgox.com/gwt/mtgox.php

I can't remember the guy's name, but the same fella later transformed it into a bitcoin exchange. After a couple of years he sold it to another source of laughs, Mark Karpeles, who later went to Japanese prison and partially evaporated.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Someone recount the tale of Butterfly Labs so I can read it at work tomorrow morning. Thank you and good night. :)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Entropic posted:

I can understand people who think bitcoins are a good way to make money by playing a weird financial market themed gambling MMO.
I don't understand the people who think Bitcoin would actually be a good currency for the real world and should be widely adopted as a way for real people to pay for things in their day-to-day life.
Wild value swings and inherent deflation are not actually things you want in a currency.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That's what Something Awful is all about, bringing joy into each other's lives by mining mirthcoin from Internet ore. If the well doesn't dry up, well...

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

To be precise, 99.998% of bitcoin trading is Chinese bots. Or it was until a month ago when the volume dropped by that amount

Drone_Fragger is talking about 2011, you can find the thread via google lol.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wrong about what?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

drat. :smith:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

would pay many bitscoin for someone to make a website that rotates and varies the speed of this depending on the change in value that day

also a historical rendering of the roller coaster so we can all relive the experience

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

my dream came true, thanks to the power of bitcoin

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

*beep beep*

*beep beep*

"Hello, this is Amazon customer service how can I help you?"

"I, uh, would like to buy 40 million dollars of, um, gift cards..."

*click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU