Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there some kind of bitcoin joke behind a $6.35 price point for the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

£4.99, automatically translated into whatever weird cowrie shells you foreigners use.

Lol you seriously don't even want to sell this book

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Like 6 months ago people were saying "You'll never be able to mine bitcoins profitably again, that time is past." Except anyone who had mined bitcoins would have made a profit, because they went up ~50% since then. So, I'm sure you'll claim they weren't wrong just like you weren't.

If the gains of mining are less than the cost of electricity, you're better off just buying bitcoins rather than mining them. Pointing out that they appreciated value past the breakeven point six months down the road doesn't change that.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Bitcoiner attributing things I've never said to me? Well, I never!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Just amazing imagine doing a risk analysis, calling bullshit, being wrong, and declaring yourself good at risk analysis.

If I invested in every little thing for fear of missing out, I'd probably be pretty broke now. In hindsight, I wish I had "invested" in bitcoin when I first heard about it, but that doesn't mean its fundamentals are sound.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It means that every single goon prediction about (...) how its fundamentals were unsound (...) were wrong, misleading, and useless.

Wrong.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And everyone that perpetrated them is clearly not qualified to advise others re: investments yet did so for years anyway, smugly laughing at how dumb anyone that disagreed with them was.

I don't know why you'd take investment advice from a goon but yeah, you're right. No goon is qualified to advise others, and if they are, they won't provide that information via a pseudononymous web forum.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's often compared to the Wild West, like the wild west of currency or some poo poo like that. And it's true. Some people got rich on gold mines or a saloon or whatever. And a lot of people ended up robbed, or dead, or forced into basically indentured servitude. It's not an unfair comparison.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Cool, forums superstars making fun of bitcoins and buttcoins miners were dumber than the redditors they made fun of for years, and this guy admitted to it. Well done everyone.

I am cassandra and I speak for the goons

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you "invested" in cash then lololololol

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Cash and liquid assets are often a part of portfolios or is this some gag I'm missing

Maybe if you're like sixty? In which case I doubt you're investing in bitcoins?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ham Sandwiches have you thought about buying bitcoins or maybe a few of the five hundred alt-coins that have sprung up this year? An index of all of them would probably beat the Russell 3000, though it would be fair to say that most will lose value in a year's time.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a millionaire who made money betting on risky products. There are a lot of red flags about Bitcoin, any one of them enough to keep me from seriously investing. I have one bitcoin I bought on the way down in 2014 for about $600 but that's not a serious investment and for the majority of the time I've owned it, it had lost money.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

since the last thread where this was discussed there hasn't been any Risk to exchanges

lol and I thought you were being serious.

Bitcoin is fascinating to me but when you act like this, it's difficult to take you seriously. I don't think you're trolling but man, you're hilarious.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even if it's only used for money laundering, it has value. It's just not a sound investment with the amount of risk and at a "market cap" of $150 billion.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

read the y-axis labels

it seems to suggest that coinmarketcap didn't recognize all that volume pre-2017

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rent: $1200
Internet: $110
Phone: $200
Food: $200
Bitcoins: $3600

Please help with my budget, my family is dying.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the expected window for the price of Bitcoin in the next year? I think it's something like -95% to +400% which makes it way too risky for me personally. What do you think Ham Sandwiches? Care to make a prediction?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So to me, it's very odd to imply that I'm claiming that I know the price of bitcoin, or that I can predict the future, or that I'm telling people what to do with their money, because none of these things are the case.

It's very odd to imply that people who implied (or outright stated) that an investment was risky are dumb, yet you are smart for not making any prediction at all!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Djeser posted:

Also fun fact, if you had bought bitcoins five years ago and didn't lose them to an exchange running off with its users' bitcoins, or wallet software that instead of a random number used the HTTP 301 error it got from Random.org, or margin calling during a sudden price drop, or wallet-stealing malware embedded in a cryptocurrency whitepaper PDF, or hard drive failure, you'd now have equal balances in a couple different forks of bitcoin!

What a good investment!

I didn't know that, thanks.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Look at IPOs like Twitter, Snap and Blue Apron. How are those legitimate? Yes, I'm being serious. The "value" is inflated bullshit wall street is selling to suckers while the banks doing the underwriting cash out on the IPO itself. As soon as these firms hit the market with the distortions they've created to get the investor / IPO in the first place, they crater. Then the layoffs start. Amazing value!

Well you did get one thing right.

edit: I'm not being sarcastic, those are garbage assets, but that doesn't make Bitcoin a good investment.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're really into investing in small companies you might try out the Regulation Crowdfunding opportunities on Wefunder or Microventures, as those are regulated by the SEC.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
At this point it's very easy to use for drugs, but so is cash.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do transaction fees even go up based on the size of the transaction? I was under the impression that, you send a little extra, your transaction goes through faster (and never goes through if you don't send any extra at all). Why would someone put in a transaction fee of $70,000 when a $7 transaction fee would probably bump them to the top of the list?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you watch Shark Tank and get wet when you hear the words "disruption" or "revolutionize" then maybe Bitcoin is for you. But maybe instead you'd like to hear my idea for a revolutionary new form of disruptive technology that will change the way you make sandwiches forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HerStuddMuffin posted:

On the one hand, by entering the coin trade you relieve another sucker of their position, but by exiting before the music stops and you're left holding the baglive grenade, you're condemning another sucker to take your place. It's morally gray at best, and probably a worse and worse idea, from a practical standpoint, as time goes on.

This is the most childish way of looking at investing. I'm sure you think that an actual product somehow makes stock trading completely different somehow, because that's also a childish thing to think.

• Locked thread