Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

evilweasel posted:

if the US failed

my sides

I'd really like to know the specifics of the scenario where the US fails to a USD=$0 point but the internet still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to fiat. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence."

...huh, that's actually good advice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

it has been *4* days in which loving nothing happened with bitcoins.

I knew transactions could take a while but goddamn.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wait since when are consumer-grade PC's able to generate $500k in Bits? Did you pull this off? And if you didn't why not?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It seems like, every single time this thread gets active, a different genius comes out with the whole "how much money did yo make off bitcoin" burn

Just like go back and find every example of it and you'll see the intellectual company you keep, it's not a good look

And yes the self published Unix sysadmin is in there with you, it was the first hint I had that he was really really dumb

It's not a burn, it's a legitimate question that doesn't have a wrong answer. If you didn't retire off pure bitmining profits that's OK, I didn't either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why do you only post the stories when people lose money then?? Why not post some where they make money? Since both happen why is it only 'funny' when you are posting the misleading crap that reinforces the narrative of them being a scam, but counterexamples are not at all funny and dubious at best?

I asked for your incredible story where you are balls deep in your orifice of choice on a tropical island from your bitmining empire.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I look forward to the rebuttal to divabot's book. its loose change, if you will. loose satoshis?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

weird, violating their terms of service by circumventing laws and regulations that coinbase complies with will get your account shut down!

I agree, TOS Violations costing individuals 5 figure sums is both cool and good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

if they're circumventing US law then yeah it is unironically cool and good

If people are circumventing laws you arrest them and seize their assets formally, you don't give some random company permission to pocket people's wallets in a citizen's arrest.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

banks routinely shut down accounts when they believe the accounts are being used criminally

Yes and there's a process you can go through for dealing with that, not just a support email hole.

Also when a bank does it they explicitly tell you why, not just "we're closing your account down."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fbsw posted:

i started using bitcoin for microstakes poker just to see what all the fuss was about, and it's pretty great!

To the moon!

(shoots the moon in Hearts)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe the better way of looking at "8 transactions per second" is instead what that means per day, which is 691,200 transactions worldwide per day. This effectively means that if every person alive right now has one and only one bitcoin wallet (and companies don't), they will be able to do a little under one transaction every 10 days.

very late EDIT I royally hosed up, that's a number for 7 million users. For the 7 billion world population, it's one transaction every 27.74 years.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 14, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bitcoin isn't replacing any currency where cash is still a part of it, and it still very much is for massive portions of the American population (serious question: is there a single 100% cashless country out there? Or even close?), and even more massively on a world scale. It's possible in a few developed countries to go mostly cashless but generally only among the less impoverished. On a world scale there are still like one or two billion people in the world without electricity and without internet (and despite being from "poorer" countries they still have GDP's in the billions).

And yeah, you need a lot more stability if you're a store or an employer. I mean how is an employer meant to calculate how many satoshis to pay you for your two weeks' pay? Does he meticulously calculate exactly how many you were worth every minute you worked? How are you meant to have any sort of forward-looking budget with that? Sure, some people more or less do this with their assets in stocks or professional gamblers but that is a relatively tiny portion of the population that can work with that or is remotely comfortable doing so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

There were 65 ICOs a week in September.

Speaking of 65...well, 66

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Defunct_exchanges

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwitch posted:

What about the U.S. dollar?

The U.S. dollar value never went higher than one U.S. dollar.

Checkmate. :smug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"Please don't try to manipulate me into doing stuff differently", he said, while trying to manipulate others into doing stuff differently.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dude you care way too much about other people's opinions about an unstoppable technology. Just enjoy the fact that there less people out there hoarding bitcoins and get in on that poo poo if you want, drat.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Be free, ham post

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What if us making fun of Bitcoin is what makes its value go up? I mean we've been making fun of it for years, it's been going up for years...it's like the bizarro version of a kid's movie ending, "not believing" gives it its strength, and if we start believing that'll be the instigating action to the whole thing collapsing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwitch posted:

with unique and important utility.

In laffs, sure.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwitch posted:

im lolling here because im 99% sure im way richer than you and its 100% because of bitcoin.

I'm 99% sure you're way richer than me too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

How about Fidelity's CEO:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/28/fidelity-ceo-abigail-johnson-says-the-company-is-mining-cryptocurrencies/

Fidelity CEO Abigail Johnson says the company is mining cryptocurrencies

"Johnson, herself is a huge proponent of the digital currency and has mined roughly 200,000 satoshis, according to the FT report."

My god, $11USD.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok I'm gonna bring up the fact that you wouldn't talk about your holdings the next time you decide to be clever and ask me about mine!

Paladinus posted:

If I were to cash them out, it'd be equivalent to ~$6,000.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Please tell me how to make my core i7 with a 1080Ti ensure I never have to work again and live the dream of getting paid to roll coal and rubes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I finally found a "Bitcoin accepted here" sign in my podunk town in SW Ontario. What do I do?

What kind of store is it? Do you think you could cash out 9 million dollars there somehow?

Also just a heads-up that Coinbase no longer handles CAD.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So it's like an ATM in the middle of a barren area like those vending machines in the middle of Japanese forests or what?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I live in a University town and looked up my ATM options. Closest one is Dan's Pizzeria, a brisk 11-hour drive away. :smith: I literally have to change time zones to hit up an ATM.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The Skeevy Bitcoin ATM - watch out for psychopaths and con artists

Once you pop you can't stop.

Oh hey, they have Pringles too!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And will Prester Jane's dad make amends for swindling Ham with Bitcoin?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee posted:

Maybe the better way of looking at "8 transactions per second" is instead what that means per day, which is 691,200 transactions worldwide per day. This effectively means that if every person alive right now has one and only one bitcoin wallet (and companies don't), they will be able to do a little under one transaction every 10 days.

What the gently caress I totally dropped a lot of 0's here, been doing way too many filesize calculations lately and hosed up.

That earlier "once every 10 days" calculation was for 7 million users, not 7 billion.

If every person alive now handled bitcoin, they could do a single transaction every 27.74 years.

poo poo even if you limited Bitcoin just to people who explicitly voted for the Libertarian party in the 2016 election that's still 4.5 million people, 1 transaction a week for them.

And reminder that 8 transactions per second is actually well above what's possible, for real numbers, double all times.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

Why do you assume that the Chinese want USD and not yuan?

When he said "they want USD" he meant "they want their money outside of China", and usually when they want it outside of China this means "in the United States", which generally uses USD and not Yuan.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Why the gently caress do you think the law that Bitcoin laundering is circumventing exists?! Huge sums of money and people pour out of China constantly (and yes, a country of a billion people does also have a substantial number of people who are content staying put). It's been happening for so long America's first anti-immigration laws were targeting Chinese people specifically, and it's also a big part of the reason why so few can afford houses in places like San Francisco and Vancouver now.

The Chinese people getting their assets out of China might not even know all that much about Bitcoin and just be using a service which has people doing the backend steps, with all they see or care about being "spend Yuan in China, get USD in America, no export controls". The creamy Bitcoin middle they don't know or care about, and if they do their only interest in it is getting it into the normal US financial system, they're not holding.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just remember if Bitcoin crashes and you aren't sure of how to buy drugs afterwards, always remember

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

have you seen anyone say "blockchain is a scam"?

divabot's book has a detailed answer to this. It's a buzzword plenty of shysters are leveraging when attempting to sell a product as a business solution and rarely has a legitimate usage for the business/product in question (i.e. blockchain technology isn't bringing them any advantages they don't already have with a centralized database system).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Coinpricetrack/status/919971630482317312

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

This presentation recently popped up on the front page of HN thoroughly debunking most of the claims from Bitcoiners on why Bitcoin is better than "fiat" currencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

Ya also update: I'm down 4 dollars today after being up 100 yesterday.

As in you're down 4 dollars from when you started? Or do you mean "down 4 dollars from yesterday" (96 dollars ahead of when you started)?

• Locked thread