Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is a rad song too forgot it. redbone is undoubtedly his best tho.

The whole album is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The most "frightening" part of this movie was the relation I had to meeting almost every parent of many of the people I've dated. It perfectly captured the feeling/reaction of doing that.

Also, seeing it with a packed (black) audience was hilarious, as there were a ton of "that's why you don't date white people comments." I had taken a (white) ex to see it with me, and she stated that made her feel uncomfortable a few times. I told her, "welcome to my entire life" (which is a point the movie touched upon a lot).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HellCopter posted:

Having the plot hinge on something impossible makes the movie a little less...relateable? I'm scared of weird tightly-knit cult communities but I'm not afraid of getting my brain stolen.

Though it obviously works better for what the movie was trying to say.

Yeah, this basically. (Freezing people with mind powers seems like it falls pretty comfortably under "supernatural" but you can argue the semantics.) The commentary is interesting but it's a lot less effective as a horror movie in the back half. I think part of the issue is the cross-cutting with Lil Rel Howery's bit – it's funny and I wouldn't want to axe it completely, but it kills a lot of the tension the first 45 minutes has.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HellCopter posted:

Having the plot hinge on something impossible makes the movie a little less...relateable? I'm scared of weird tightly-knit cult communities but I'm not afraid of getting my brain stolen.

Though it obviously works better for what the movie was trying to say.

It's a metaphor taken to its extreme for the appropriation of blackness and culture, while removing actual black people and their agency and history.

"Everybody wanna be a nigga, but nobody wanna be a nigga" -Paul Mooney

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or his oft-repeated targets - fetishized victimhood and "talented tenth" blackness, both of which are hand in glove with elitism and class heirarchy.

Yea, White's view (explicit form his critical writings) is one of class struggle, that anti-racism divorced of it is toothless. That's the point of his Obama comment in that review.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

morestuff posted:

but it's a lot less effective as a horror movie in the back half.

nahhh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from the horror thread, since I just found this one:

One thing that I've been thinking about Get Out is that Chris is, by definition, an anti-hero.

He is propelled through the plot by the actions of others, and only becomes an actual hero when he is prepared to be persecuted by death/servitude.

*Rose drives them to her parents house. Chris is never shown actually driving.

*Chris is a photographer/observer. It is mentioned that he has great potential, but hasn't fully achieved "success" (this is what I inferred)

*Chris, when given an choice on advantages/disadvantages of being a black man in a modern society, deflects the question to Andre

*Chris does not correlate what is happening around him, does not pick up the clues of the conspiracy. He gives the information to Rod, who is mostly right about his assumptions and figures out the plot against Chris. Even more than that, when Chris starts making accusations, he's really just repeating Rod and censoring the more ridiculous claims ("sex slaves", though in Andre's case, Rod still isn't wrong)

*Chris does not engage in any of the conflicts, it is always someone else who ends it. Examples: Rose and Missy getting Jeremy to stop trying to wrestle, Rose deflecting the awkward conversations between Chris and Dean, etc.

*Chris does not willfully engage in the hypnosis, he is seduced by it before it's mentioned, with Missy using the techniques with her sweet tea while they sit in the backyard and talk

*Chris does not investigate anything. He sees Georgina and Walter acting strange, he finds Missy in her study, not because he's looking, but just because he wants a cigarette. He finds the box of pictures of Rose because he's packing, not because he's looking for clues.

*Georgina and Walter both engage Chris about their strange behavior and his suspicions (after the family discusses behind his back his suspicions that he brings up to Rose, the informant)

Chris becomes a hero once the conspiracy is explained to him by the actual oppressors, through a Television he is forced to watch while strapped to a comfy recliner. Which leads to him:

*Picking cotton (ironically) from the chair to save his life by plugging his ears

*He uses a ball to crush Jeremy's head (I assume it's a pool ball or a croquet ball, since it's hard and heavy, but it should be noted that Jeremy uses a Lacrosse club(?) as a weapon against him

*Using the deer head (a buck), a reverse symbol of the wounded deer (a doe) that seems to reflect his identity at the beginning, and using the antlers as a weapon, charging his enemies.

*Destroys Missy's tea-cup

However, Chris is still unable to kill Rose. Walter wounds her before taking his own life. Chris tries to strangle her, but quits because Rod rescues him, and even then, he's still the passenger on the ride home.

I've seen the movie once, so I could be off on a few things, or missing some other keys, or missing the overall intent of this aspect of Chris's character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought an antihero was more of someone that does morally questionable things to achieve their own goals yet is the focus of the story rather than someone who is just passive. I don't think I've ever seen antihero defined by passiveness, lack of curiosity and inability to work things out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I thought an antihero was more of someone that does morally questionable things to achieve their own goals yet is the focus of the story rather than someone who is just passive. I don't think I've ever seen antihero defined by passiveness, lack of curiosity and inability to work things out.

Yeah, anti-hero refers more to the ethics of a character's actions. This would just be a passive protagonist.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

morestuff posted:

Yeah, this basically. (Freezing people with mind powers seems like it falls pretty comfortably under "supernatural" but you can argue the semantics.) The commentary is interesting but it's a lot less effective as a horror movie in the back half. I think part of the issue is the cross-cutting with Lil Rel Howery's bit – it's funny and I wouldn't want to axe it completely, but it kills a lot of the tension the first 45 minutes has.

In the horror genre I usually only count ghosts/monsters/draculas/etc. as supernatural. Hypnotism and brain transplants are hard science ok!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
A core conceit of the movie would never work because you can't hypnotize someone who doesn't want to be hypnotized but I'm willing to look past that

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

A core conceit of the movie would never work because you can't hypnotize someone who doesn't want to be hypnotized but I'm willing to look past that

But he kinda did. I mean, sure, he's resistant, but he's also curious, and only says no because Rose tells him no. Also, the mom is using the technique on him before they even talk about hypnosis, while they're sitting in the back yard talking, when he's receptive towards them to make a good impression

glam rock hamhock posted:

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, anti-hero refers more to the ethics of a character's actions. This would just be a passive protagonist.

With just looking for a standard definition, I found several variations, with the most common being : "An antihero is not your typical hero because he doesn't always possess purely good qualities or personality traits. For example, while a hero is courageous in the face of battle, an antihero might be afraid. While a hero is perfectly handsome, an antihero might be too short, too hairy, or too fat. While a hero is self-assured, an antihero might be plagued with insecurities. And while a hero is out for justice and to serve the common good, an antihero might be selfish and rebellious against this same common good."

Which still applies, since Chris's turn towards heroism isn't to save all black people, or to right the wrong of the white people against the black people, it's simply to survive.

I believe Campbell is the one that puts "Passive hero" into "anti-hero" status, but my point was that he's Passive in all of his actions until the third act.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

But he kinda did. I mean, sure, he's resistant, but he's also curious, and only says no because Rose tells him no. Also, the mom is using the technique on him before they even talk about hypnosis, while they're sitting in the back yard talking, when he's receptive towards them to make a good impression

Even if he did want to get hypnotized the first time, he couldn't unwillingly be brought back into it by swirling a spoon or w/e.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Even if he did want to get hypnotized the first time, he couldn't unwillingly be brought back into it by swirling a spoon or w/e.

It's a mental collar and leash for him. I get that the actual science is shaky, but it's a great plot device for the idea and themes that outweighs the plausibility, even within the realm of hypnosis logic.

Edited for clarity and spelling

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I thought y'all might be interested in this:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The haunting repitition sound the spoon in the tea cup made reminded me of how haunting the record skip in The Strangers was.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
A perspective on this movie from A White Guy:

At the beginning, the cop being a dick to Chris caught me slightly off guard because I am not used to that. At the end though, the flashing lights were clearly an ohhh poo poo moment and an inversion on the horror trope of the cops showing up signaling the end of the horror. It's an interesting bookend to the story that gave me (a person with a considerable amount of privilege) a bit of perspective.

Edit: I did NOT recognize the brother as being Ilya from Heaven Knows What

Eddit: OR the creepy brother from The Last Exorcism what the heck

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 1, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I actually really dug the police station scene.

Here's a black guy spelling out, almost word for word, an actual crime that is happening repeatedly to other black people. But he's telling the police, an authority formed to preserve white supremacy and property rights. It doesn't matter that he's talking to other black people; they're cops. They put the institution in institutional racism. And it doesn't matter that he's right, because racism and racial violence are conspiracy theories and black lives don't matter.

Rod talking about hypnosis and sex slavery sounds crazy, just like many people think it sounds crazy to hear 'shopping/driving/[verb]ing while black' or any other material instance of racism in America.

The movie is loving brilliant. I can't wait to see it again, and horror/thriller makes me incredibly uncomfortable as a genre.

edit: also, for the ending scenes

there's a lot going on with the deer in this movie but all I could think of was Reagan's welfare myth of the "strapping young buck" when Chris kills the dad, aka literally the paternalist racist

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 1, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

there's a lot going on with the deer in this movie but all I could think of was Reagan's welfare myth of the "strapping young buck" when Chris kills the dad, aka literally the paternalist racist

I still want to see the ghost deer scene from the trailer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

I still want to see the ghost deer scene from the trailer

I watched it to see what you were talking about, and it's a cool-looking shot — but holy poo poo does the trailer basically condense the entire movie into two minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I watched it to see what you were talking about, and it's a cool-looking shot — but holy poo poo does the trailer basically condense the entire movie into two minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

The trailer does a good job of emphasizing the color palette of blues and browns. It spoils the poo poo out of the movie, but it's really great looking.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

i am the bird posted:

Here's a black guy spelling out, almost word for word, an actual crime that is happening repeatedly to other black people. But he's telling the police, an authority formed to preserve white supremacy and property rights. It doesn't matter that he's talking to other black people; they're cops. They put the institution in institutional racism. And it doesn't matter that he's right, because racism and racial violence are conspiracy theories and black lives don't matter.

Rod talking about hypnosis and sex slavery sounds crazy, just like many people think it sounds crazy to hear 'shopping/driving/[verb]ing while black' or any other material instance of racism in America.

The movie is loving brilliant. I can't wait to see it again, and horror/thriller makes me incredibly uncomfortable as a genre.

I get it, I just fear that some of the lengthier scenes with the friend will be the ones I most want to fast forward through on rewatches.

Except when he gets on the phone with Allison Williams that poo poo is excellent.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

I think the police station scene is also meant to be a tongue in cheek horror movie commentary. Rod acts as an audience surrogate for most of the movie. He knows that going to some creepy white people's mansion is gonna end badly, just as much as those of us watching do. He's futilely yelling "DON'T GO IN THERE!" at the screen. To him, the whole hypnosis mind control thing is obvious, just like it is to us watching (though we are both wrong about the details of the plot), but to characters inside the world of the movie it seems completely ridiculous.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

Which still applies, since Chris's turn towards heroism isn't to save all black people, or to right the wrong of the white people against the black people, it's simply to survive.

To his credit, he does stop to save another person even if it doesn't work out exactly. It's sort of the one cinematic heroic act he performs outside of wanting to get Rose out of her family's house when it starts to get creepy.

Wouldn't Chris be merely a protagonist and not an antihero? Seems like a hero or antihero would need actions to earn that definition and so calling him passive and also antihero seems so strange. Maybe if he was passive aggressive or used some political or social systems to do heroic or antiheroic actions. Maybe his passive survival in everyday life is heroism?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

A perspective on this movie from A White Guy:

At the beginning, the cop being a dick to Chris caught me slightly off guard because I am not used to that.

That was one of the most important things about the movie. Forcing you to empathize with the (black) protagonist, so that you feel the same apprehension we feel when we're pulled over by police, especially in a more compromising position.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Was there something weird with the deer mounted on the wall? Chris was looking at it really strangely, and it seemed like something was off about it. (The eyes?)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

Was there something weird with the deer mounted on the wall? Chris was looking at it really strangely, and it seemed like something was off about it. (The eyes?)

spoiler just in case, but quick thoughts:
Seeing himself in it, relating the deer on the wall to the one hit at the beginning, finding inspiration for a weapon.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

re: deer

And as someone up-thread mentioned, the dad goes on and on about how deer are an invasive species and it would be best if they were just killed off. The deer is a trophy and now Chris will be a trophy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you have reasoning skills the title of this article contains a spoiler

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a8990932/get-out-perfectly-captures-the-terrifying-truth-about-white-women/

But yeah...

This article brought up something I didn't even loving think of and is making me think about my own thought processes as a black man. My reactions were the exact same as the author of that article. The entire movie I was pretty sure Rose was well meaning. Even when she was clearly emotionally manipulating him at the lake I wrote it off. Even after Chris finds the pictures of her with the other Black people who were abducted my mind instantly went to oh well she has to have been being manipulated right. It literally wasn't until she said "you know I can't give you the keys" that I finally accepted she was a willing participant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta be honest, right away I "knew" because they weren't remotely convincing as a couple. They don't even kiss with tongue!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

If you have reasoning skills the title of this article contains a spoiler

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a8990932/get-out-perfectly-captures-the-terrifying-truth-about-white-women/

But yeah...

This article brought up something I didn't even loving think of and is making me think about my own thought processes as a black man. My reactions were the exact same as the author of that article. The entire movie I was pretty sure Rose was well meaning. Even when she was clearly emotionally manipulating him at the lake I wrote it off. Even after Chris finds the pictures of her with the other Black people who were abducted my mind instantly went to oh well she has to have been being manipulated right. It literally wasn't until she said "you know I can't give you the keys" that I finally accepted she was a willing participant.

This is interesting to read because for me the shoe box of pics felt like Peele over played his hand revealing she was in on it prior to the actual reveal.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

This is interesting to read because for me the shoe box of pics felt like Peele over played his hand revealing she was in on it prior to the actual reveal.

You could still explain it away as maybe she was hypnotized to forget, or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah. It probably says more about me, that my mind instantly made excuses for her. I thought she was being mindwiped. I thought Peele was doing the most with the horror movie trope of "oh no the girl can't find the keys to get out of the bad situation, expected her to trip and fall while running towards to car or something right after". Then it just loving hit me and I felt like an idiot. I felt like I went through the same emotions that Chris went through that moment when he saw the jig.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

You could still explain it away as maybe she was hypnotized to forget, or something.

You're right, but my thinking was that if she was hypnotized it'd be pretty lazy on her parent's part to leave a shoe box of incriminating photos in the daughter's room, so it seemed obvious to me that she was in on it. That was just a personal opinion though, so it's cool too see Dexo's and the article's opinion on it.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The shoebox reveal is the one flub in the movie. That could've been handled better.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This movie is easily going to make it onto the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They list.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's also a testament to how good Allison Williams is in this movie which is pretty impressive since all I knew her from before this was getting her rear end eaten.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A possible reading of Chris still acting like Rose is okay after seeing the photo album could be that had he just immediately revealed that he knew she was complicit, it would have Rose drop the innocent act earlier, when Chris still needed her help to get out, since he can't drive.

But the idea of Chris still giving the white woman the benefit of the doubt is a thematically better interpretation.

I'm an Asian man who generally tries to consider myself progressive and somewhat woke despite my own flaws (and Asian America's complicity in white supremacy), and I have a rather complicated relationship with white women. Like, I find myself frequently resenting liberal white women, and I often struggle with how much of it is justified and how much of it is just cryptic misogyny. Like, I'm not a huge fan of the traditional list of (white) feminist icons like Tina Fey or Lena Dunham, so I'm often overly eager in embracing intersectionist critiques of them; and I'm not sure how much of it is done in good faith.

Anyway, getting back to the reveal, I might have read spoilers telling me Rose was in on it, but I probably would have immediately indict Rose was in on it anyway. With the casting of Allison Williams (a star of Lena Dunham's "Girls" and the daughter of a pathological liar), it just made too much sense for her to be in on the deception. It probably didn't actually influence the casting choice, but yeah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, it was probably too much for a lot of people to write off. However Peele was careful to have her spend the whole movie leading up to that moment being the one actively standing up for Chris and commenting on how hosed up everyone else was. She confronted the cop, complained about her family, seemed to have confronted the Georgiana, was talked down from confronting her mom about the hypnotism, was displaying what looked like genuine revulsion as the old white people interacted with Chris, etc. Even in the woods, she played her reaction to Chris leaving in the light of his statement that he'd leave without her, cleverly stalling for time for the auction.

The whole movie is setting up Rose as the active champion in contrast to Chris' passivity. Then right after Chris finds the box of pictures, we're treated to Rose acting like she genuinely can't find her keys. The way she's frantically searching through her purse seeming to imply her own hypnotic suggestion to be unable to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it was intentional to have Rose be complicit of her own cognizance. It's why the reveal hits you as hard as it does (if you didn't see it coming, that is); giving Rose an excuse for why she's done what she did would've been like giving the police officer an excuse to do what he did. Rose, like the police officer, is not being controlled into being a racist sociopath, she simply is one.

• Locked thread