Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I thought this movie was incredible. I hope it doesn't get forgotten by next oscar season because I think it could honestly be a Best Picture contender.

I was just amazed by how deep the racial themes go: Obviously on the surface level the movie is dealing with the idea that it's uncomfortable to be a black man surrounded by well-meaning but ignorant white people, as well as how white people believe they are "post-racial" because they support Obama or have a black friend. But 2 other ideas really stood out to me:

-White people misguidedly think that they are being anti-racist or "a good ally" by putting black people on a pedestal. But in reality what they are doing is turning that person into an object, something to point at and go "wow look how great they are, and look how great I am for loving them!" And of course the villains in the movie are literally turning black people into objects.

-White people are able to appropriate blackness, putting on another race's cultural markers and wearing it like a mask they can take off at will. This is a privilege not shared by black people, who are unable to discard their blackness and are judged based on it every day. In the film, instead of getting dreadlocks or putting on a fake patois they go all the way by appropriating a black person's entire existence. The way Andre at the party says that his "black experience" has been great stood out to me, with the white person inside receiving the benefits of his newfound youth and virility without having to deal with most of the difficulties of being black in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

Got a free ticket to see the movie again today, and I wonder: were Grandma and Grandpa putting on domestic/groundskeeper acts for Chris, or did they agree to just be unpaid help for the family when they got put into new bodies?

I could imagine the grandma being okay with being the dutiful cook, 50s mentalities for women being what they were, but it seems like a proud man-of-the-house dude would have issues being given a new lease on life, only to be the lowly help.

I think he would probably be happy to be able to go do the yardwork again after years of being elderly. I know my dad loves mowing the lawn and chopping wood, old people are weird.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

why does the maid/grandma start crying during the talk in the bedroom?

i was thinking maybe that was the real person lurking way down in the subconscious peeking through, like when the dude flipped out after being flashed

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blisster posted:

On the son: In the dinner scene, the son talks about jujitsu being a strategic game, thinking two steps ahead. And Chris wins by noticing a pattern in the son closing the door, and exploiting it. Another fun little parallel.

I really liked that the son seems to be fantasizing about the idea of his Obviously Superior Caucasian Brain put inside the genetically superior black body, but then he dies by being outsmarted

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went at noon and there were maybe 30 people in the theater but it was still the most raucous and enthusiastic movie crowd I've been a part of in years. Really great experience, and anyone who is still on the fence about seeing this in theaters or waiting for the DVD PLEASE go see it in theaters, it is so worth it!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

childish gambino's best (only good?) song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZCsgcKa-g

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A core conceit of the movie would never work because you can't hypnotize someone who doesn't want to be hypnotized but I'm willing to look past that

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

But he kinda did. I mean, sure, he's resistant, but he's also curious, and only says no because Rose tells him no. Also, the mom is using the technique on him before they even talk about hypnosis, while they're sitting in the back yard talking, when he's receptive towards them to make a good impression

Even if he did want to get hypnotized the first time, he couldn't unwillingly be brought back into it by swirling a spoon or w/e.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

I actually really dug the police station scene.

Here's a black guy spelling out, almost word for word, an actual crime that is happening repeatedly to other black people. But he's telling the police, an authority formed to preserve white supremacy and property rights. It doesn't matter that he's talking to other black people; they're cops. They put the institution in institutional racism. And it doesn't matter that he's right, because racism and racial violence are conspiracy theories and black lives don't matter.

Rod talking about hypnosis and sex slavery sounds crazy, just like many people think it sounds crazy to hear 'shopping/driving/[verb]ing while black' or any other material instance of racism in America.

I think the police station scene is also meant to be a tongue in cheek horror movie commentary. Rod acts as an audience surrogate for most of the movie. He knows that going to some creepy white people's mansion is gonna end badly, just as much as those of us watching do. He's futilely yelling "DON'T GO IN THERE!" at the screen. To him, the whole hypnosis mind control thing is obvious, just like it is to us watching (though we are both wrong about the details of the plot), but to characters inside the world of the movie it seems completely ridiculous.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

This is interesting to read because for me the shoe box of pics felt like Peele over played his hand revealing she was in on it prior to the actual reveal.

You could still explain it away as maybe she was hypnotized to forget, or something.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's also interesting to wonder whether the tech for brain transplanting will get out into the outside world. Being able to put someone's brain inside someone else's body has a ton of implications and would be pretty revolutionary.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The whole idea of the sunken place and the brain transplants reminds me of the short story The Extra. It's also kind of Being John Malkovich too I guess.

^^^ holy gently caress beaten what are the odds

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:nws:http://morningafter.gawker.com/while-you-watched-the-globes-allison-williams-got-her-1678892482:nws:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BobKnob posted:

It would have been a much duller movie if they did this, but why is everyone seeming to be purposefully antagonistic to Chris and leaving clues everywhere on purpose? Even if they were super confident that there was no way that Chris could escape, why bother? Seems like they did a lot of work to freak him out and tell him the plot. They could have literally asked him to come down to the basement/gameroom and dropped him right there if they just acted normal.

The same reason that a lot of well-meaning white people who mean no ill will are incapable of talking to a black person without a bunch of awkward microagressions. They can't help it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and also Andre tells him to get out at the party

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ty1990 posted:

Also, the ending was perfect. I read the script about a month ago and the ending in that was much darker and downright depressing. Very happy that they went another route.

could you spoil it for me, i'm curious

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ty1990 posted:

Long story short: cops show up and arrest Chris for murdering the white family. Last scene is Rod visiting him in prison.

As soon as I saw the police lights I 100% thought that was where it was going (either that or he gets shot on sight). I definitely think the happy ending works much better, when I saw it everyone left the theater super enthusiastic about the experience.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe dumb question (not really a spoiler, and even if it was you shouldn't go 7 pages deep into a thread for a movie you haven't seen):
Was there any particular significance to the moment when Chris went upstairs and the party just going silent and staring up there? Or is it just another case of "something is very hosed up here"?

To me that's the first time in the movie where the idea that maybe all these people are well-meaning but ignorant goes out the window. From then on they are clearly malicious and up to something, which gets even more hosed up with the auction scene shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else pointed out the similarities between this movie and Being John Malkovich, considering Keener is in both? the idea of being trapped inside someone as a passive observer

• Locked thread