Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

VROOM VROOM posted:

I would have, except I had faith that the film was executing the cosmic justice of her being left to die after he had confided in her about him feeling like he had left his mother to die.

e: I see you had the same idea, but I hope you have no confusion about why he did that. The first time was his mother, and the second, well.

Another thing from his past that's reflected in the movie is his fate if he doesn't GET OUT. He'll essentially be stuck forever in the worst day of his life- the day he couldn't move. Watching TV, paralyzed, forever. As if it wasn't horrible enough, it's like his own personal hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

VROOM VROOM posted:

Still have a lot of thoughts swirling around about this, but I noticed while watching that in the final act the way Chris escapes and kills each person reflects their nature or his previous interactions with them. Might be obvious but then again the cotton-picking gag and Chris being forced to watch TV helplessly for eternity didn't click for me until someone pointed them out, probably because there's just so much to think about. I'm probably missing some things, so you guys can fill in any gaps.

The father: this one I'm shakiest on, but there's quite the contrast between the dad's drawn-out, precise surgery and then the quick, brutal death of getting ambushed and stabbed by a bunch of horns. Dad showed a disrespect for life, and deer specifically, in saying that he was glad they hit the one and mounting another, so Chris got a bit of revenge for the species. Perhaps you could say that the dad relied on being able to establish dominion over living beings and died because he didn't account for every possibility, but there's something else there I'm not getting into words.

The mother: Chris takes away her tool of control by being faster to the cup, which you could call a sign of physical superiority. However, him being able to turn his wounded hand around and stab her with the knife was proof of his superior willpower. He took something that was a cause of pain to him and turned it to his advantage. A fitting way to defeat an evil psychiatrist who uses people's weaknesses to control them.

The son: the dude's obsessed with black people's strength and attempts to show that he is a superior physical specimen to Chris. Though he relies on ambushing instead of fighting fair, he succeeds at achieving a position where he has a guaranteed win, but then gets taken out because Chris outwits him and tricks him into giving him an opening. Should've worked on his strategy. Chris also was only able to escape originally because the son believed they'd already defeated him.

The daughter: she's an expert manipulator and literally uses someone else to try to kill Chris. It's only right that he turn it around on her and take her out because she trusts someone she shouldn't have. Guess she's not the only one who's not who she seems.

While in some cases Chris beats them on their own terms and in others he doesn't, the commonality is that while they're focused on controlling black bodies, they fail to respect the power of the black man's mind.

More specifically, as someone said his whole motivation was having a strong physical body. Being a groundskeeper and working with his hands all day every day is his version of Heaven.

On the son: In the dinner scene, the son talks about jujitsu being a strategic game, thinking two steps ahead. And Chris wins by noticing a pattern in the son closing the door, and exploiting it. Another fun little parallel.

• Locked thread