Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"add tactical realism to the Holocaust"

well yeah it's little details like that that let people believe that your story really happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's not uncommon, and it is never intended to imply the latter

the idea, broadly, that society is a power struggle between opposed factions seeking to cement their own interests at others' expense is pretty popular (not just in the US), and specifically applied to race and that white folks are on the tail end of their golden age of dominance before being overthrown it's a cornerstone of white supremacist thinking

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

I simply feel that his tendency to post gigantic essays on readings of films that are, more often than not, markedly 'off' from either the popular reading of the film or the stated intent of the film-makers tends to derail and dominate conversations about any given piece of work. The fact that he condescends to people who disagree with him and inevitably takes every discussion down to marxism and zizek is also fairly tiresome. I'm not going to state that he absolutely, definitely doesn't actually believe what he posts and that his shtick is simply a personal exercise to see if he can believably subvert the meaning of any given work, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. His takes can feel... clickbaity? Like coming into a thread about a film about race and claiming it's a delusion the main character has about class, or stating Sucker Punch is a feminist film. These are inherently provocative stances, whether they're right or wrong, and I feel that's no accident.

Obviously he puts a lot of work into his posts and is really good at making his case, but that isn't necessarily a good thing if the case he's making is beside the point of what the film's about and that work only serves to eclipse any conversation that isn't either agreeing with or refuting his readings. But I mean just look at what happens to any given film thread, including this one, the minute he comes into it. It inevitably turns into an SMG thread, rather than a thread about the film.

he's doing pretty standard undergrad-type lit crit in a forum of people who get super loving mad if you make a post that's "markedly off from the popular reading of the film", and whether it's intended to be or not it's the best troll on the forums.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

So if he was "legit" black his apartment would be different? You get how I think that assertion is kind of weird, right?

So why does the dude go out to the housing projects for material when he wants to make 'art' and choose a bougie ikea catalog to actually live in, is the ghetto just objectively where all the creativity is

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nobody's accusing you of being inaccurate or false. they are accusing you of making statements to which the application of "accuracy" is utterly meaningless (as they are your personal reading of a work, and will differ from most others simply by nature- only a bad work has solely one valid reading) and then acting like a giant rear end about them. a thing that you continue to do when you respond to posts on the subject with a fancy version of "OK THEN SMART GUY POINT OUT HOW I'M WRONG :smuggo:".

edit: people say this poo poo to and about you instead of putting you on ignore because we want you to be a better poster. there is nothing wrong with the substance of your opinions, it is just the style that could use quite a bit of work.

retreating to "well that's, just, like, your opinion, man" is pretty weak at the tail end of pages and pages of posters getting all red and nude arguing that his opinions are wrong, and not a valid reading. the whining about his tone has only emerged after the complaints about marxist critical analysis being unfashionable and every facet of the movie actually being purely literal or accidental with no reasonable metaphorical interpretation failed to yield results.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 26, 2017

• Locked thread