Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Saw it today finally, the theater was jam-packed. I can see why it's gotten so much positive talk.

I liked that once Chris got free, the deaths all went along at a steady clip. No drawn out fights/cat and mouse. And when he killed the mother, I loved just how done he was with the whole situation.

'Exposition-dump TV' didn't even really bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Franchescanado posted:

Her life is a literal game of cat and mouse. She gets to find a boy/girl, trick him/her into liking her, take him/her home to her parents, get rewarded for her efforts, repeat. She has a bedroom that is appropriate for a teenager with pictures of every partner she has over the bed. Her only friend is her weird alcoholic gently caress-up brother and her two parents. She sits on her bed googling semi-celebrities she can fantasize about seducing and capturing (Chris is semi-well known in the photography world, she probably googled Binged him as wel). She is, in many ways, a sheltered childish person with psychopathic tendencies.

On that front, I didn't catch that she was doing that NCAA search for a potential next victim. When Rod googled up the missing acquaintance ('Dre?), weren't the headlines in regard to him being a Brooklyn hip hop musician? Didn't consider that maybe the victims were targeted for specific traits. Granddad wanted to relive his racing days, maybe they targeted the host for being a college track star or something? The blind artist bid on Chris not just to regain sight, but maybe since Chris had a 'photographer's eye'?
Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Franchescanado posted:

Did anyone think that Stephen Root's character was going to be a good guy/help at first? My girlfriend thought he was going to step in help Chris, or that he bought Chris to set him free. I'm glad it didn't go that route.

No, you've nailed it. There's most likely a bid for requests among the rich white people. They want a semi-celebrity at least ("One of the good ones"), but they probably vote on body type, career field, or other suggestions ("We haven't had an athlete in a while"). There's a lot you can infer from the situation.

I have a minor question about the party scene. I missed the introduction of Logan in Dre's body. Was there any mention of him having a music background? Or young black man with woman twice his age it's just implied he wanted a youthful body and the host's musical ability was irrelevant?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nucleic Acids posted:

I knew there was no possible way the real people grandma and grandpa had stolen, hell, effectively murdered could be saved, but it was still so sad seeing that play out.

I thought it was sad that even though there was no hope for the grandma/grandpa victims, Chris still tries to help grandma after he hits her with the car. Though that could be a mix of still being deeply affected by his mother's death by hit and run as well as pity for the victims. I also thought it was well played that in the final showdown the victims lost their wig/hat and you could see their surgical scars

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CelticPredator posted:

I'm legit sad my audience wasn't poo poo. Did anyone record reactions? I wanna feel that excitement. :(

In my theater, there was a lot of laughter at Rod's parts, and people broke into applause when Rose got taken out, some muttering/'oh poo poo's when the squad car lights appeared, and cheering/applause when it turned out it was Rod.

I live in the DMV area, and people get excited about movies. I remember seeing Creed in theaters and everyone went nuts when the Rocky theme started up during the last round.

Sorry you have such blasé moviegoers.

I'm trying to convince my dad to go see this, but he's on the fence because he thinks it looks like a mix of 'Guess Who and Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. Also the friend he usually goes to the movies with is a huge racist, so I kind of want to know if his head explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, Get Out 2 will be him going through the nightmare of trying to get his new Don'tCare insurance to pay for counseling and anti-anxiety meds.

I would actually like to see a horror movie sequel where a character that lived through the same kind of trauma as Chris tries to pick up the pieces, but they're so PTSD/mentally scarred/paranoid that they struggle to do it.

See a psych? The last one tried to hypnotize him for body snatching.
Hears somebody stirring their coffee at a cafe? Flashback/meltdown.
A cute (white) woman tries to flirt? Oh poo poo am I a mark again?!
Ends up in a social situation where he's the only black person? Oh shiiiiiiit.

Re: darker skinned actors, the only ones really coming to my mind in feature films are Djimon Hounsou, Idris Elba, Kevin Hart (whose more just a funny man than ever a serious lead) and (sort-of) Tyreese. Someone like Adewale Akkinuoye Agbaje, Lance Reddick and Michael K Williams are pretty dark skinned, but I consider them to be a TV/character actor more than anything.

I remember reading something a while back that looked at how lighter skinned actors/actresses tend to get bigger/better roles, like Halle Berry getting to be a Bond girl back in the 90s. (I'm trying to think of dark-skinned actresses, but all I'm coming up with are TV, like Danielle Brooks and Danai Gurira)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2017

• Locked thread