Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I feel Mack had just read (or more likely been told the plot of) Of Mice and Men or Flowers for Algernon.

Why else make a simpleton terrorist as the secondary antagonist. Much less one that we follow around for multiple chapters? It'd be weird enough if the lead's right hand man was an "idiot strongman" archetype but to follow his POV?

All of this rationalization is my brain's desperate attempt to not fall into chanting "what the gently caress Mack" in a growing cacophony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

This reads like the really goony looking fucks doing military roleplaying in the back of your local game store. The ones who are all overweight, wear camo, have a surprisingly both in-depth and nonsensical understanding of military hardware, and unironically used the term "Ah Rab" even before 9-11.

They seem mostly harmless until you notice everytime you check in on them they're in the middle of a torturous interrogation scene.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Weirdly enough, the Basketball Game Jingoism is probably the most disturbing passage so far. The rest are so outlandish that while they're disgusting in their being written down. The basketball game is someone's furious fantasy about nationalism and it gives me the heebie jeebies.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Realized she's renting a whole house but doesn't go upstairs because it's scary. The super competent, Playboy hot, Oriental flower, secret spy wrangler special agent won't go upstairs. In the ugly house she's renting because "it's cheaper."

JFC I'd say 9/11 did a number on Mack but his views on women were already broken as shown in Wingman.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

This whole thing is disgusting. But the sentence

quote:

"No sooner had this happened than a Northwest 747 airliner passed over the amusement park no more than 2,000 feet high and still climbing."

is simply horrible writing that shouldn't have made it through the second pass of editing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Good thing the convenience store night manager they traumatized just happened to be secretly a terrorist and wasn't some poor immigrant or 2nd generation Arab-American citizen.

And making 75k all untaxable. God drat the hate is so layered throughout this.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I don't even hate that the author wrote the first one. It's disgusting, but whatever. What I hate is that there's a market for it. And it's sequels. He made money off of this. That I hate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Still more grounded in reality than most of Right Wing Media.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

But what really happened? Yes, those three thousand people died, especially in the towers—but twenty thousand people were saved that day. Twenty thousand people who didn’t lose their lives … because of the bravery of the cops and the firemen and just ordinary people. Like you and me. “And here’s the thing: how much planning went into that? These murderers took three years to plan how to kill three thousand people—but we, we Americans, we saved twenty thousand of our countrymen, and it didn’t take any planning at all. The people there just did it. It just happened. Because that’s how we are in America." 

“And that’s why we’re different from them.”

That is simultaneously the dumbest thing I've read in the past week and the deepest insight into the conservative mindset regarding public works ever. "We don't see the tens of thousands of man hours that go into drilling and practicing and planning and educating so it must be really simple and easy and spur of the moment."

Actually, it might be the most believable part of the whole thing. Spec Ops guys aren't exactly the most well spoken guys, or the deepest thinkers. I'm not denigrating their real life counterparts, as they're very good at a specific set of tasks. But they're not selected for their oratory abilities.

And lol at sneaking their ringer judge in to what would be the most publicized trial of the 20th and 21st centuries.

The whole thing is frothy freep wet dream at this point.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

It feels like Mack is trying to soften the blow by pointing out how the terrorists don't really care about Islam and aren't very faithful (with the implication being that real Muslims would never do this), but he shoots himself in both feet by never once portraying a positive Muslim. Literally every named Muslim we've seen in these books so far has either been a terrorist or a terrorist sympathizer. The only ones not to be portrayed as evil are background noise, the crowd of extras running from the market when a Superhawk lands to chop some dude's hands off.

Or the victims of the Superhawk's outright terrorist attacks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

At least I am reassured by the fact that neither Superhawks nor Mack Maloney have a wiki page.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

You mean it doesn't involve the total destruction of Mecca?

Well of course not. Mecca is discovered to be the entrance to a cave network where the ultimate terrorist is hiding. Immortal Muhammad, from whose lips all Islam and all terror is brought into the world. When the ghost team bravely fights through the labyrinth network, they make the ultimate sacrifice to collapse it. In doing so they finally kill Muhammad, and everyone the world over renounces Islam and all become beautiful exotic people. Well all the women do. All the men kill themselves because they were all terrorists.

Is the real ending more offensive than that?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I'll give you one hint:

Al Jolson.

Well time to go make popcorn.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

Yessir, this fancy psyops system that only works if our enemies have never noticed sounds change dramatically if the source is moving towards or away from you, surely a great investment.

Maybe they meant to operation nifty package North Korea with it or something

I doubt that the sounds projection is the psyop's fancy system. It's not dumb enough.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

It really was projecting sound from the speakers. As for the Snowball, that won't be revealed until another update or two. It's basically a war crime machine.

Oh I figured the speakers were on the plane. I was referring to the snowball. Glad to know we haven't yet seen its stupidity.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

The Snowball, as best as I can see it, appears to be a device that completely disables Muslims and nobody else. That's the only explanation for why nobody is affected except the Iranians.

Okay, I laughed at this.

quote:

Brown face "fixing" Muslims from within.

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

JcDent posted:

"Bring terror to the terrorists" is a great military tactic that worked wonders in such conflicts like

Oh yeah. Don't forget the campaign of

• Locked thread