Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Let's post cool and interesting facts or trivia about animals or hell even plants and other living things. I'll start.

Scientists just recently found out bees can learn how to move a ball into a hole for a reward which is something way outside of anything they'd have to do in the wild, meaning they now count as animals that can learn to use tools to achieve goals. The article is awesome and adorable and I hope this leads to bees playing soccer against each other for sugar water although now that I typed that out it sounds kind of sad.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2017/0224/Ball-playing-bumblebees-demonstrate-flexible-thinking

quote:

It turns out you can teach an old bee new tricks. The fuzzy insects can even improve on the method, scientists say.

Bees join the ranks of tool-capable organisms, according to a paper published Thursday in the journal Science. A team of researchers from Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) showed bees to be cleverer than anyone expected, teaching them to push a ball into a goal for a sweet reward. Surprisingly, the insects’ behavior implied an abstract understanding of the simple soccer game, one that that went beyond mere mimicry.

Once considered the exclusive domain of humans, then primates, and then birds and cetaceans, tool-use has historically been thought a hallmark of highly intelligent animals. Now, bees are buzzing into the club.

"Our study puts the final nail in the coffin of the idea that small brains constrain insects to have limited behavioural flexibility and only simple learning abilities," Lars Chittka, the project supervisor, co-author, and a professor at QMUL’s School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, said in a press release.

Scientists have shown that bees can grasp the abstract concept of using an object to achieve a goal – in this case, a gulp of sugar water – even if they aren't likely to engage in such behavior in the wild.

Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz
Bees in a previous experiment succeeded in pulling a string to get their ambrosia, but since they often carry out similar tasks in the wild, such behavior could have been an extension of natural instinct. This time, researchers wanted to test whether bees could solve a problem involving a nearby object with no obvious connection to the reward.

They set up a test where a bee could land on a small table with a ball and a central hole. If the bee rolled the ball into the hole, scientists would reward it with a snack of sweet sucrose solution.

But while a few super-smart bees were able to solve the problem on their own, most needed some help. Researchers trained initial bees by using a bumblebee-decorated stick to show how to push the ball to the goal. Later bees could watch previously-trained live bee demonstrators for a chance to learn “socially.” Another group watched a “ghost” demonstration where a magnet hidden under the table dragged the ball into the hole, and a control group was presented with a ball already sitting on top of the hole.

It turns out bumblebees catch on quickly when there’s sugar involved. Rookies had three chances to watch a veteran do the trick, after which all were able to imitate the teacher. Eight out of 10 bees could learn from the magnet, while only three were able to figure out the task with no demonstration.

"It may be that bumblebees, along with many other animals, have the cognitive capabilities to solve such complex tasks, but will only do so if environmental pressures are applied to necessitate such behaviours," explained joint-lead author Olli J. Loukola in the release.

Even more impressive was how the trainees showed off their new skills. When presented with a new situation where three balls sat on the table at varying distances from the hole, seven out of 10 socially trained bees and six out of 10 “ghost”-taught bees went for the closest one, even if they had watched an experienced bee move the farthest ball during training.

From this innovation, the researchers could conclude two things: that the bees had an abstract notion of what they were doing, rather than just mindlessly following the leader; and that rolling a relatively big ball all the way across a table is tough for little bees.

"The bees solved the task in a different way than what was demonstrated, suggesting that observer bees did not simply copy what they saw, but improved on it," Dr. Loukola said.

Repeating the experiment with a black ball rather than a yellow one produced almost identical performance in trained bees, further underscoring the idea that the insects knew exactly what they were doing, in a display of what the researchers wrote was “unprecedented cognitive flexibility.”

It seems we’ve been underestimating the mental capabilities of the very small.

“The old-fashioned view is if an animal has a small brain, it’s not intelligent or smart,” Loukola told New Scientist.

Even though a bee brain has about 100,000 times fewer neurons than the one between a human's ears, it seems that in at least one simple situation they have the ability to learn and improvise a new strategy just like a person.

As the team wrote in the paper, "We present here an example in which an insect displays a goal-directed behavior for which evolution has not provided them with a rigid adaptation."

Eirik Søvik, who studies bees and animal problem-solving at Volda University College in Norway, suggests that we’re only just beginning to scratch the surface of insect cognition.

“We just have not been very good at designing experiments that allow us to probe insect cognition very well,” he told New Scientist. “That’s probably because it is so incredibly difficult to imagine how bees experience the world, and if you want to give them tasks they can succeed at, that is key. I think the authors here really succeed at taking the bees’ view of the world.”

The idea of bees watching other bees push a ball into a hole to get a treat and going "oh I could do that" is awesome and it's the best birthday present I could ask for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraMegaPhil
May 2, 2010

Number one.
Wombat poop is cube-shaped.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

UltraMegaPhil posted:

Australia, home of the useless animals.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Scientists just recently found out bees can learn how to move a ball into a hole for a reward which is something way outside of anything they'd have to do in the wild, meaning they now count as animals that can learn to use tools to achieve goals. The article is awesome and adorable and I hope this leads to bees playing soccer against each other for sugar water although now that I typed that out it sounds kind of sad.

So Buck Bumble was truly ahead of its time, with its multiplayer soccer game mode.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

UltraMegaPhil posted:

I didn't believe you and couldn't think of how this was possible. Here's the explanation I found (wherein some guy in a video uses his hands to experience scatalogia unmitigated);

Brad Neil posted:

Do they have square buttholes?

No.

This YouTube video is excellent. Apparently there is no definitive answer, but as the thinking goes,

1) Wombats have a slow digestion (up to a week) which allows digestive matter to become quite compact.

2) The first part of their large intestine is configured with horizontal ridges which may serve to mold this matter into sections; the last part is relatively smooth and lax which may allow that shape to persist.

3) Their poop is very dry and when excreted resists being reshaped by pressure from the sphincter. This dryness may also contribute to the excrement breaking off into cubes at its weakest points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzevM30IrUQ

Edit- Woah, the video maker also built an artificial wombat G.I. tract and jelly wombat scats.

Macrowave Oven has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The rhinoceros is just some bullshit, leftover dinosaur.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Crows know their place in the universe.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

My cat is the best cat.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Otters are actually water squirrels.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Wild Fin Raziels are known to live alone on islands for years before searching out their natural enemies; Greater Queenicus Bavmordacus.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Weedles are delinquents who delight in the use of spray paint to attract mates.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The squirrels in my neighborhood train all year for the olympics

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Grovers can not be trusted to build houses

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Greenland sharks only reach sexual maturity at 150 years old, proving there is still hope for goons everywhere.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Certain breeds of dogs lay eggs.

E:

Sponge Baathist has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Feb 25, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Binturongs taste like popcorn

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jeza posted:

Greenland sharks only reach sexual maturity at 150 years old, proving there is still hope for goons everywhere.

In 1880 a bowhead whale was harpooned, 130 years later it died.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There is only one species of hermaphroditic killifish in the world. It is a brackish fish.

Not all plecos (aka the 'algae eater fish') eat algae. There is an entire group, Hypancistrus, that are carnivores. Zebra plecos are among the most rare.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Pugs are so inbred and stupid that they can't even get fetal alcohol syndrome right.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All of those deep sea anglers you see are female. The males are tiny and if able to find a female in the depths, they latch onto her and eventually become part of her circulatory system, their only purpose to provide fertilization for her eggs.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

HA! Suck on THAT, MRA's.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

All of those deep sea anglers you see are female. The males are tiny and if able to find a female in the depths, they latch onto her and eventually become part of her circulatory system, their only purpose to provide fertilization for her eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-BbpaNXbxg

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
There are wild wallabies close to Paris.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Scorpions glow under uv lights.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fish don't have necks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Numero6 posted:

There are wild wallabies close to Paris.

Young wallabies are called "joeys".

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Shoebills can tuck in their long necks by curling their spine so that it bends outward from their mouth.

This has become my go-to 'nature is loving crazy' fact to share with people.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Shoebills can tuck in their long necks by curling their spine so that it bends outward from their mouth.

Haha whoa what the gently caress

I guess the followup question would be "why"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rangpur posted:

That reminds me of this pelican. Is it actually yawning, or some other thing that looks like yawning? (like crop clearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JylstDBYlE

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Fact: Animals are cool.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

These charming sea creatures are tunicates, also known as sea squirts. Despite appearances, they are members of the Chordata, our own phylum!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Feline boys have spiked penises. When they withdraw, backwards-pointing spike/spines tear up the female, which helps stimulate her to ovulate.

Ringworm is not in fact a worm. It is a fungus related to athlete's foot fungus and is cured the same way.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Feline boys have spiked penises. When they withdraw, backwards-pointing spike/spines tear up the female, which helps stimulate her to ovulate.

Ringworm is not in fact a worm. It is a fungus related to athlete's foot fungus and is cured the same way.

A little bit of nail polish will also kill ringworm.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Black kites maybe use fire as a tool.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/australian-raptors-may-be-playing-fire/

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Jeza posted:

loving sharks doesn't sound very appealing tbh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jeza posted:

Goons are more the land whale type, not the land shark type.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can contract leprosy.

(Pretend I posted a picture of Jesus treating an armadillo here because against all odds, that is the one thing the internet hasn't drawn.)

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They probably just think the queen wants them to put the ball in a hole

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The park across the street is infested with literal dinosaurs because, get this, dinosaurs never went extinct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Elephants and a few breeds of horses don't trot. Instead, they do a running walk, an intermediate gait where they're always keeping one foot on the ground so they don't bounce.

Here's a video showing the running walk. You'll notice the riders are sitting smoothly, no matter how fast the horse is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JBa8n_tN1U

• Locked thread