Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

This Time on Medusa Head: An actual, honest-to-God update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was going to rag on you for not getting Balmung before fighting Balore, but there's a slide-corridor in the way!

I also don't remember the endgame being so soon after the Arena, but I guess all the backtracking through old areas, getting Chronomage, etc. is just to get the hints you need to get the good ending. All you really need is those three souls.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess all the backtracking through old areas, getting Chronomage, etc. is just to get the hints you need to get the good ending. All you really need is those three souls.

What were the hints again - I can't remember how you're supposed to figure out it's those three souls in particular?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

What were the hints again - I can't remember how you're supposed to figure out it's those three souls in particular?

They're given as fragments of a book, or something like that. You look at their flavor text in the inventory and they describe the souls. Like, "the first form was that of an enormous bat", that kind of thing. The hintbooks are in various obscure locations; the only one I remember in particular is in the guest quarters behind Chronomage.

With a bit of meta-knowledge you could notice that some souls are closely-associated with Dracula, viz the ones that let you turn into a bat, suck blood, and fire his traditional triple-fireball spread (there's no teleport or meteor souls in this game, sadly). But without the hints you're unlikely to figure out that you're supposed to use all three at the same time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

There are three books you can pick up in the castle that are red, blue and yellow. The item description of each book describes the souls you're supposed to equip. Honestly it's pretty obtuse and teenage me had to go on GameFAQs to figure out what they meant and when to equip them, but maybe they were obvious for other people.

E: Should have refreshed the page first but yeah, what they said.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

They're given as fragments of a book, or something like that. You look at their flavor text in the inventory and they describe the souls. Like, "the first form was that of an enormous bat", that kind of thing. The hintbooks are in various obscure locations; the only one I remember in particular is in the guest quarters behind Chronomage.

Ahh, ok. Ancient Books, apparently.

"The first spirit is a demon from hellfires."

"The second spirit is the King of Bats."

"The third spirit is a beautiful nightmare."

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Books

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, I've been going back and forth on this for a while, but I think it's time to just admit it: I'm not good enough to complete the Hard mode version of this challenge. Not while keeping up all the work required to record and keep track of everything I'm doing, and even if I do eventually succeed at the Valkyrie tower, there's a lot more and a lot worse to come. Dreading doing it almost killed the LP, so it's time for me to throw in the towel.

Normal mode will still continue just fine, though! (I've actually got all the raw video recorded, now it's just a matter of :effort:.)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
can we still hand out and talk about video games?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

can we still hand out and talk about video games?
Hell, you can still make fun of me for being bad at video games. I'll just need to find a different one.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Hell, you can still make fun of me for being bad at video games. I'll just need to find a different one.

But If there are not skeletons then it just isn't the ssssame

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This looks like the most un-fun thing in the world so I don't blame you for dropping the Hard version.

Also I'm sad that you didn't give a shout-out to the Medusa Head soul in your latest video, as it completely chumps part 2 of the Balore fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Also I'm sad that you didn't give a shout-out to the Medusa Head soul in your latest video, as it completely chumps part 2 of the Balore fight.
:doh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This time on Medusa Head: Making up for lost time!

I actually had most of the work for these episodes done before the hiatus, I just had to brush off the files and finish it up.

For the record, there are two more regular videos to come, and then I'm going to be doing something a little special with the final fight.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 17, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This part of the game is so much fun, you can just fly around like an idiot with all the mobility stuff they throw at you, it's great :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You ever make a reference to a video you haven't actually released yet, but just finished editing, and forgot you haven't posted it yet?

Because I just did that. :j:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This Time On Medusa Head: Incredibly obvious musical foreshadowing!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 25, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am loving these music edits. :allears:

On the other hand, I hadn't really anticipated just how much you'd be able to brute-force these fights via healing potions. I mean, you can't carry an unbounded supply of them, but they do give you a hell of a lot more leeway than I'd expected you'd have.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am loving these music edits. :allears:

On the other hand, I hadn't really anticipated just how much you'd be able to brute-force these fights via healing potions. I mean, you can't carry an unbounded supply of them, but they do give you a hell of a lot more leeway than I'd expected you'd have.
This is part of why Hard kicked my rear end. "Brute force through potions" just stops being an option.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The last good Castlevania was 2.

Fight me. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

The last good Castlevania was 2.

Fight me. :colbert:
It's okay if you never played OoE, a lot of people didn't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I liked Portrait of Ruin better, personally, but Ecclesia is good too.

It's a shame that Dawn of Sorrow was such a dumpster fire. :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This Time on Medusa Head: No montages!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fantastic music choice, as always. Loving this LP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For the Final Time on Medusa Head: Music!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Congrats on being freed from your personal Hell.

I love the Chaotic Realm in this game, it's just so weird and unsettling and the boss design is real freaky.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, Persona music works surprisingly well with Somacula.

...I'm giving you some weird looks for Sonic Boom and the kazoo Bloody Tears, though. :shepface:

Congratulations on beating Chaos, and thanks for the LP!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You play too much Castlevania, you loving goon.

But no, seriously, great job with all this. It was one hell of a project, beating everything without killing more than neccesary, and while I have to point out that you did fail (that poor Bat) we can ignore it for the time being and pretend that no innocent monsters were hurt in the making of this LP.

Also that Kirby song was perfectly fitting with Chaos' first phase. Good pick.

Now you're doing Julius Mode, right? :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Now you're doing Julius Mode, right? :v:
That would honestly probably be easier than this (if I weren't so bad at Julius mode). There's not much to gain from killing regular enemies in Julius aside from convenience.

...I'm giving you some weird looks for Sonic Boom and the kazoo Bloody Tears, though. :shepface:
I accept those looks with pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

That would honestly probably be easier than this (if I weren't so bad at Julius mode). There's not much to gain from killing regular enemies in Julius aside from convenience.

The TAS defeats Creaking Skull and Headhunter en route to the final boss, not because they're in their way (the runner has to detour to get to Headhunter), but because every time Julius grabs a boss orb, he levels up, improving his offense and defense. I'm think it's possible to get to the end without facing any bosses, but the fight already takes 2 minutes of perfect whip-slinging in the TAS; imagine how long it'd take if you were dealing 1 damage per hit instead of 21, and couldn't afford to get hit more than 3-4 times. With no potions.

• Locked thread