Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Avshalom posted:

also the american military is going to go down in history as a monstrous conquering force that has destroyed millions of innocent lives and ancient cultures. we pretend to respect individual troops to avoid a fight but in actuality anyone who voluntarily joins the american military is a selfish subhuman who's putting their own finances above other people's lives and deserves nothing but mockery

i dont see how this is a bad thing. :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, but can you confidently go to a neighbors and find one?

It exists but it's not a standard appliance.

True and it's the weirdest thing. Electric kettles are too convenient to not have imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, but can you confidently go to a neighbors and find one?

It exists but it's not a standard appliance.

yes? pretty much everyone i know has one, i see them in offices and other workplaces all the time as well, and they are starting to become standard in a lot of hotel rooms. it wasnt a standard appliance maybe 10 years ago but it is now

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm going to kill you all. bang bang bang

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
electric kettle? you mean a keurig?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
me when I'm reminded of the existence and prevalence of keurigs:

Avshalom posted:

america sucks rear end, it's a poo poo place to live, it's loving up the rest of the world and most americans are either for-real stupid or as smart as normal people but so messed up by lack of education and media brainwashing that they might as well be stupid

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 5, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
what is a keurig speak sense

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

It's a little slice of pure lazy consumerism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A coffee/tea machine where you brew one cup at a time from special pods that you then trow away. One cup = one piece of garbage. It's not even a timesaver vs just microwaving a mug for tea or brewing a single mug's worth of coffee in a regular drip machine. Basically a yuppied-up version of those little hotel room coffee makers.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Avshalom posted:

a single-serve coffee machine that uses cartridges sold only by the company that sells it. also the cartridges are made of nondegradeable plastic and they sell hundreds of millions actual billions a year worldwide

america

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 7, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Or you can spend $5 on reusable cups that you self fill with coffee or loose leaf tea or whatever and just reuse.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
How about you just take caffeine pills with some tap water.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Captain Monkey posted:

Or you can spend $5 on reusable cups that you self fill with coffee or loose leaf tea or whatever and just reuse.

the idea of getting a keurig to make tea is so out there to me, an electric kettle costs a fraction of the amount and is vastly better suited for the task

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
In Europe and other countries they have something called "Special-T" which is like a Keurig but only for tea. They also like Nespresso a lot there which is similar as well, they sell Nespresso in the states too but it's completely dwarfed by Keruig.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I think it's notable that the inventor of the Keurig does not own one, and has publicly expressed his regret at creating the drat things. It makes mediocre everything, is expensive, and wasteful.

It's actually so expensive that even if you bought $20/lb super-snob coffee you'd still probably save enough over Keurig pods to cover a nice grinder and drip machine. You could literally save over the Keurig by buying the best coffee money can buy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

I think it's notable that the inventor of the Keurig does not own one, and has publicly expressed his regret at creating the drat things. It makes mediocre everything, is expensive, and wasteful.

It's actually so expensive that even if you bought $20/lb super-snob coffee you'd still probably save enough over Keurig pods to cover a nice grinder and drip machine. You could literally save over the Keurig by buying the best coffee money can buy.

We had one of these at my old job to replace our industrial sized coffee machine that you just poured the grounds and water into... That thing was infinitely better than the Keurig. I loving hated that that, I hated the coffees available for it, how much it needed to be refilled, and how you could NEVER completely clean them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the idea of getting a keurig to make tea is so out there to me, an electric kettle costs a fraction of the amount and is vastly better suited for the task

Some people get them from misguided extended family because they are 'coffee drinkers'. In fact I don't know anyone who has ever bought one for themselves.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i just run the office keurig without a pod. if you dont put a pod in then the output is hot water, appropriate for a tea bag

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
see? look at this page. america is a mess

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Says an Aussie.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
they're just mad we did the postcolonial cultural wasteland and native brutalization first and best

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

they're just mad we did the postcolonial cultural wasteland and native brutalization first and best

no that was the romans

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Earwicker posted:

no that was the romans

How would the romans view americans?

I feel like they'd be flattered by the capital's architecture.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would the romans view americans?

I feel like they'd be flattered by the capital's architecture.

That would depend on when in Rome's history we're talking about, but they'd probably approve of the US' Republican traditions and impressive military, be shocked that Christianity is the most popular religion, be unimpressed with modern people's physique and ability to defend themselves (or impressed at our excesses?), be horrified that women can vote and hold power, and puzzled that there is no slavery.

Then they'd wonder where the good brothels and dormouse eateries are and become sad at the answer.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Question for all you dirty foreigners: how aware are you of regional differences in the US? Like, I kinda know that Europe has certain stereotypes by region, like how Bavarians are a bunch of hillbilly morons or how people from Berlin are jelly donuts, Parisians are assholes, and the English are just godawful all-round, I'm probably off on some of these, but you get the picture.

Do US states/regions have similar reputations?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

New England: the most normal Americans. New Yorkers are rude, Boston is full of Irishmen. Lots of snow in the winter

The South: hot, humid, poor, racist

Texas: cowboys, cowboys everywhere

California: surfers and Hollywood stars

The Midwest: incredibly flat. Cultural wasteland, even more so than the rest of the US. It's all (racist?) farmers and red-painted grain silos and endless fields of wheat or corn

Alaska: grizzly bears

Hawaii: aloha, those weird skirts, Magnum PI

e: that's me saying this after consuming American media and news for well over a decade, I'm sure that my grandmother would have a much less “detailed“ set of stereotypes depending on what she gleaned from catching the rare Hollywood flick and reading her morning newspaper

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 11, 2017

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Question for all you dirty foreigners: how aware are you of regional differences in the US? Like, I kinda know that Europe has certain stereotypes by region, like how Bavarians are a bunch of hillbilly morons or how people from Berlin are jelly donuts, Parisians are assholes, and the English are just godawful all-round, I'm probably off on some of these, but you get the picture.

Do US states/regions have similar reputations?

Alaska: Bears and wolves and sled dogs and snow.
Florida: FLORIDA MAN.
South: Everyone is a racist cowboy who drinks a lot of sweet tea.
Hawaii: Surfing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grevling posted:

That would depend on when in Rome's history we're talking about, but they'd probably approve of the US' Republican traditions and impressive military, be shocked that Christianity is the most popular religion, be unimpressed with modern people's physique and ability to defend themselves (or impressed at our excesses?), be horrified that women can vote and hold power, and puzzled that there is no slavery.

i think they would be too freaked out by the existence of things like cars and airplanes to care about any of that stuff. they'd be too busy zooming around

also slavery still exists in the US and in just about every other country in today's world. obviously not in the same legal terms as the roman empire, but its there.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This one is actually kind of weird now because economically Bavaria is booming big-time, and not due to simple resource extraction like certain conservative states in the US.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

System Metternich posted:

New England: the most normal Americans. New Yorkers are rude, Boston is full of Irishmen. Lots of snow in the winter

The South: hot, humid, poor, racist

Texas: cowboys, cowboys everywhere

California: surfers and Hollywood stars

The Midwest: incredibly flat. Cultural wasteland, even more so than the rest of the US. It's all (racist?) farmers and red-painted grain silos and endless fields of wheat or corn

Alaska: grizzly bears

Hawaii: aloha, those weird skirts, Magnum PI

e: that's me saying this after consuming American media and news for well over a decade, I'm sure that my grandmother would have a much less “detailed“ set of stereotypes depending on what she gleaned from catching the rare Hollywood flick and reading her morning newspaper

Oh man, never call New Yorkers New Englanders, to either group. Hell, in my experience, if they tell you they're a new yorker you best guess whether they mean the city or upstate, because they will not be pleased if you assume wrong.

Because can confirm, they are rude, both groups.

One big tangible difference I've noticed between the two via traveling there from Ontario is that New England tends to remain fairly wealthy and liberal throughout until you get up into the sticks of NH and Maine, whereas leave the NYC area and New York swings hard conservative and rural. Saw more vocal Trump supporters per capita upstate than in the south. Anecdotally ofc

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

whereas leave the NYC area and New York swings hard conservative and rural. Saw more vocal Trump supporters per capita upstate than in the south. Anecdotally ofc

No, you're completely right. NYC is literally the only reason NY is a blue state. Source : I am a New Yorker.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my rear end just exploded

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

No, you're completely right. NYC is literally the only reason NY is a blue state. Source : I am a New Yorker.
It's because of all the cities, just like it is elsewhere. Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse/Albany are reliably blue. Once you get into rural Upstate though, hooboy is it Trump country.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Skoll posted:

NYC proper + Long Island represents a majority of the population of New York state anyway, right?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My family in eastern europe think America is just like the American soap operas that get dubbed (poorly) and shown over there. Everyone is beautiful, everyone wears awesome clothes, everyone lives in a mansion, and has crazy interesting lives.

Even though that's not entirely true, I can't even explain to them what it's really like over here. You just have to come to America to understand it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Left wing branch of the family: The US workers are the biggest pussies on the planet and eat such massive amounts of poo poo that it's a wonder any of you survive. You have like, no rights, in any way whatsoever, no unions and you've invented new and interesting ways of getting rid of the few rights you had. And your supposed left-wing party seems to do jack poo poo about it, yet you still vote in shitloads of absolute retards even the regular right-wing here is full of contempt towards.

You're also comically unjust and it's pathetic you pretend to be in any way a moral country. Just in the ME you prop up the two most despicable countries there, while constantly talking about the third as if they're anything compared to you. You're also incredibly violent. You keep starting wars and blowing poo poo up and enabling others in doing that. It makes you look like a nation of psychos, which is only supported by all the mass shootings and guns you seem to love.

You also talk a lot about freedom when in most ways you're infinitely less free than Europe because you seem to have no idea about the difference between positive and negative liberty. You getting to have an AR15 in your living room is a joke compared to free education, healthcare and benefits.

We think you're a net negative on the world.

Bourgie part: There is nothing historical there except the indians and no-one cares about them. Even in younger countries like mine we still have like, public toilets older than your settler-colonial state. So anyone with any interest in that will never wanna go there.

Thankfully, you make good and cheap food. Most of it is unhealthy garbage but it sure is tasty! You're also cheap place to go and buy a buncha clothes and booze and Florida has good golf courses and weather so we go there every now and then. We actually have a summer house there with some other families but good heavens, we would never live there, for a lot of the same reasons as the left wing branch does but for more bourgie reasons: we find the stark and brutal poverty a lot of people are in there uncomfortable to watch because we're vaguely frightened of them rather than compassion. (Though we feel some of that too!)

We like the idea of paying less taxes, but we've seen what that leads to so we don't agitate for it much.

All members except the one unlucky sod: Thank you for peanut butter. Holy smokes that makes up for a lot.

Everyone: And we all know good Americans and whatnot but drat you guys, there seem to be a lot of you that are absolute poo poo. American movies/TV/Games are good, if sometimes full of the idiocy in your society. You are really weird about sex. Are you afraid of it or something? Why are your movies so afraid of showing sexuality, which is good and normal, and so keen on violence, which is bad?

Your military worship is beyond creepy. You realize they murder people right? That's not a good thing. (Some members of the left wing think that their problem is that they murder the wrong people and a few ignorant ones think the military is just like in the movies).

Everyone except for a few that actually bother learning about you: There is only Texas, Florida, New York, Boston and LA. The rest of the country is just parts that are there but don't matter to us. We know some more parts exist, like Washington, but we don't go there.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

NYC proper + Long Island represents a majority of the population of New York state anyway, right?

Just under half, if I remember correctly. I'm from Brooklyn myself but I favor more center/right policies than the cities because I'm a hobbyist shooter.. Which is another thing Euros get up their own asses about over us.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Living in Toronto, "I'm sorry for Americans" or "I'm sure glad I'm not American right now" seems to come up on a weekly basis.

A common sentiment over the last year which I hadn't heard before: "I wouldn't feel safe visiting the USA" (implied: as a minority.) After the election, lots of Torontonians have gone from thinking of the USA as basically the same as Canada to as a total hellhole/no-go zone.

The southern part of Canada and the northern part of the US are pretty similar, minus the politics (especially wrt healthcare and workers' rights.) The major cities and the southeast and southwest coasts are great vacation spots. Like Canada, the vast majority of the USA is comprised of places you'd never care to think about or visit. Most Canadians seem to follow US news/media as much or more as Canadian and thus have a pretty good idea what to expect (aside from the weird differences nobody talks about, like shoes in the house or vastly different milk prices).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait, do Canadians wear shoes in the house, or do they not wear them? Because almost every person I know has a no shoes in the house rule for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

Wait, do Canadians wear shoes in the house, or do they not wear them? Because almost every person I know has a no shoes in the house rule for the most part.

Canadians almost never wear shoes in the house.

I typically never have either, but after living there and then returning to the states, I now get irked when people come over and keep their shoes on. How is that comfortable you cretins?

I imagine regional differences are at the core of this- in most of Canada there's 3-6 months of the year where you're probably wearing some kind of winter boot and walking into the house in them would track in gross mud/snow slurry.

• Locked thread