Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

First, some background.

I use to own a Glock 32 (.357 SIG) a long time ago.
Looking for a gun for conceal/open carry in Texas.
Not licensed.....yet, gun purchase will start that process.
Have not gone to gun shop to see actual gun in person.

Okay, I am thinking of getting a Glock 19 (9mm) as my home/personal defense weapon. I prefer Glocks just FYI.

Thoughts?

Any suggestions on carrying gun on self while riding motorcycle (FZ-07)? Shoulder or belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Go back in time and keep the 32.

But the 19 is an adequate pistol that will work and bore everyone around you to tears when you become enamored and never shut up about it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

What's your build? Belt carry on a motorcycle is a pain if you are fat, especially with the short waists of most motorcycle jackets. It's one of the few times I recommend a shoulder rig

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

sky shark posted:

What's your build? Belt carry on a motorcycle is a pain if you are fat, especially with the short waists of most motorcycle jackets. It's one of the few times I recommend a shoulder rig

I can carry my 19/Mtac under my Bike jacket just fine. But I do have a Harley so the seating position is a bit more upright than most bikes so YMMV.

I can't see a should rig being comfortable to ride with but have never tried it

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Butch Cassidy posted:

But the 19 is an adequate pistol that will work and bore everyone around you to tears when you become enamored and never shut up about it.

If Butch doesn't like it, this is typically a sign that it's a good idea.

Definitely get a Glock 19. I own 3; one is about to break 10k rounds through it. They're great, do-all handguns that are equally well suited for concealed carry, home defense, and even local IDPA/USPSA matches - especially if you're a beginner. Buy one, don't look back.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 25, 2017

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Butch Cassidy posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the 32. I just couldn't stomach the higher price for ammo.

Funny story time:

I sold that gun to my old boss at the time. He told me that he wanted the pistol but wanted to do the sale at work because he didn't want his wife to know about it.

I sold him the pistol and the case it came in during lunch in the parking garage.

The next day, I asked him if he liked the gun. He said it cost him a remodeled kitchen. I asked why and he said that he couldn't restrain himself so when he got home, he pulled it out to look at it and his wife walked in.

Most expensive gun purchase he ever made.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

sky shark posted:

Yea. I am worried about my jacket rubbing against it when I ride.

The bike isn't a pure sportsbike lean but more of a lean than a standard type bike.

I am not sure how it would feel under the jacket with a shoulder setup.

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

I'm a fat gently caress who carries IWB and OWB on the regular under a number of different riding jackets on a number of different style bikes. Full size pistols or a shield and j frame, depending. An LCP or j frame in the front pocket when I'm bothered to put on riding pants.

Years back before I carried, through my own idiocy I ate asphalt at 45-50mph. Despite a well armored riding jacket I had some rather bruised ribs. I'm pretty sure any gun in a shoulder rig would have been much more unpleasant. Anecdotal, but I'd much rather my hip take that beating if I ever gently caress up badly again.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Thelonious posted:

I'm a fat gently caress who carries IWB and OWB on the regular under a number of different riding jackets on a number of different style bikes. Full size pistols or a shield and j frame, depending. An LCP or j frame in the front pocket when I'm bothered to put on riding pants.

Years back before I carried, through my own idiocy I ate asphalt at 45-50mph. Despite a well armored riding jacket I had some rather bruised ribs. I'm pretty sure any gun in a shoulder rig would have been much more unpleasant. Anecdotal, but I'd much rather my hip take that beating if I ever gently caress up badly again.

The time I ate asphalt the only thing that wasn't messed up was my ribs. It's a toss up on what is going to be the locations of your injuries when you spectacularly fail on a bike.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Yeah, being a fat gently caress who rides an Electraglide, I've had some issues carrying IWB 8 o'clock, whether it's the jacket coming up, or others. Hitting the asphalt and landing on my sidearm is not something I'd look forward to, at least with a shoulder rig if you turtle up your arms will give you a bit of protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

Jesus Christ, do I have to solve every problem for you guys? Draw you a map?

There. Problem solved.

• Locked thread