Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
At least I assume it's static.

I have a glass desk with a monitor wall mounted, computer on floor in a nice case. I have carpet in my office. About %90 of the time I walk into my office, sit down in my used old rear end Herman Miller chair and the goddamn screen will lose sync and maybe come back with a picture 10-20 seconds later. Sometimes the keyboard/mouse will actually stop working and all my USB ports stop responding when this happens. I have to remote into the computer and do a shutdown.. which lets me know the computer is still running.

Now the kicker, this has persisted over 3 different motherboards and 2 different video cards and 3 power supplies. I just decided to bypass my Cyberpower 1500va UPS to see if that helped and I can't really tell yet. The UPS has been a common thing between systems.

What in the goddamn hell! It's driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Is the red Wiring Fault LED on your UPS lit up, indicating that your power is not grounded?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

td4guy posted:

Is the red Wiring Fault LED on your UPS lit up, indicating that your power is not grounded?

No.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Save for a metal rod poking out of you case into the carpet and directly touching your cpu , i think you've done the only solid thing you could do. Oh and change the power plug that goes into the computer

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

Save for a metal rod poking out of you case into the carpet and directly touching your cpu , i think you've done the only solid thing you could do. Oh and change the power plug that goes into the computer

As stupid as this sounds, I am considering grounding my case directly to my house.

Oh, and after disconnecting my Cyberpower 1500va UPS (non pure sinewave) the problem has stopped. I suppose now I get to find a UPS that doesn't do this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

As stupid as this sounds, I am considering grounding my case directly to my house.

Oh, and after disconnecting my Cyberpower 1500va UPS (non pure sinewave) the problem has stopped. I suppose now I get to find a UPS that doesn't do this.

If your outlet is grounded then the case is grounded directly to your house.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

If your outlet is grounded then the case is grounded directly to your house.

I know, after trying so many different computer parts I was kind of desperate for a fix. In any case the UPS is somehow making it happen.

I figure I should get a line-interactive UPS with pure sine wave output like this: https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-C...s+sine+wave+apc

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

I know, after trying so many different computer parts I was kind of desperate for a fix. In any case the UPS is somehow making it happen.

I figure I should get a line-interactive UPS with pure sine wave output like this: https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-C...s+sine+wave+apc

Have you tested your outlets?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tested your outlets?

Yeah, all grounded properly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hey I had this same thing where I would shift my weight in a certain way and my graphics card would crash. It turned out that there was a short in the electrical wiring beneath the floorboards. When I would stand up it would flex just enough to cause an interruption in power delivery and my monitors would switch off.

edit: I weigh 150lbs NOT FAT

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hopefully you fixed that and arn't dying in a fire right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Salt Fish posted:

Hey I had this same thing where I would shift my weight in a certain way and my graphics card would crash. It turned out that there was a short in the electrical wiring beneath the floorboards. When I would stand up it would flex just enough to cause an interruption in power delivery and my monitors would switch off.

edit: I weigh 150lbs NOT FAT

Lol yo momma so fat she shorted out the floor

• Locked thread