Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

Yes. Absolutely . They forfeited their human rights when they hurt someone else.

I believe in the backwards golden rule. Don't do unto others any crap that you wouldn't want done to you? And people who murder and it's completely obvious and provable, sick people who are going to continue to be sick and we're all going to keep paying for their incarceration, just kill em? It's cheaper, more economical and in the long run, it's actually more humane than decades of Incarceration.

So I've been looking for the purple rule since yours is very stupid. It seems to be "don't have sex." So since I want to have sex, I'll be breaking the opposite of the golden rule, so have your parents, have you considered killing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

This is basically the dumbest argument that I've ever read. When people are mean or evil to other people, when they're scary or violent. it's quite obvious, even though it may be difficult to put down in words.

I don't believe that any "Drug" crimes are real crimes. I think that violent people are OBVIOUSLY violent lovely people and they should be the only ones in jail.

But absolutely any person who hits another person is a crazy rear end in a top hat and they need some jail.

lol the dumbest argument when you go by the affirmation of a negative for a moral axiom. Shame your parents didn't abort, should that lead to the death penalty?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If we are going to assume a hypothetical super justice system that makes no mistakes you must also assume super murderers that don't get caught. Only passionate people would be murdered by the state.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Exactly right. Arresting a criminal isn't the same as kidnapping him. Collecting taxes or imposing a fine isn't the same as robbing someone, executing a murderer isn't the same as murdering somone.

The essence of punishment is depriving somone of his rights, whether to life, liberty, or property.

Have you read the story of the 15 year old boy who was indefinitely detained at riker's and eventually offed himself, for having what amounted to his own backpack? That is kidnapping and torture, there are systematic unjust fines levied at the poor and PoC. The state murders people unjustly as well. I'm so happy cops ignore you and would probably be punished for killing your children in cold blood, but don't pretend that is universal even within your local municipality.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You were in jail, not prison. hth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Perhaps rather than making absurd statements like "The death penalty is actually a very nice out." Fueled by your depression and lack of knowledge of the criminal justice system in this country, you should realize that your experience is just an anecdote and while you may not have gotten anything out of it other than contempt, others do experience true reformation. Those who want death as an out just off themselves, with a majority of suicides occur within two weeks of incarceration (this is ignoring the abuse of mentally ill and PoC being written off as suicide). It's a shame you were not such a rational actor so I wouldn't have to read your inhumane garbage.

Prison has a much better QOL than Jail btw.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

twodot posted:

So government activities that will foreseeably result in ending lives is acceptable so long as those activities accomplish some goal you approve of? If that's the case we're back to it not being the case that you are fundamentally opposed to the government occasionally killing innocents, just that you don't think the value of the death penalty justifies it.
"accidental" death penalty killings exclusively impact the innocent demographic; a deprivation of civil rights. Random gvt deaths don't.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

twodot posted:

I don't understand the point. We agree that imprisoning innocent people is also a deprivation of civil rights, correct?
Imprisoning to the extent of WWII Japanese internment camps, yes. The appeal system exists to minimize accidental imprisonments once convicted and there are imprisonments like pre trial holding or pink slips that are not necessarily a deprivation of civil rights.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Odd how when the state settles out of court, giving gobs of money to surviving family members, it's with the express disclaimer that the state is not admitting to a mistake or acknowledging an institutional failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It would kill less minorities which I think you'd be against DR

• Locked thread