Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Can you?
Take it all away
Take it all away
Shove it in my face
This pain you gave to me
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Serving 25-to-life for being the coolest guy in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Ace Combat 5 is a mess, but it's a great mess. Fun times ahead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm free!

Also yeah, I'm probably gonna just post the mission 2 update with a video only tomorrow night because I haven't had time to record any commentary beyond that one with mateo360, and because I'm going away on another last-minute business trip on Saturday, so I'll be indisposed for most of the weekend.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm free!...I'm going away on another last-minute business trip on Saturday, so I'll be indisposed for most of the weekend.

Guys, does Crow work as a hit man? Did the mob just get him off, and now he has to go on "business" to pay them back?

..is Crow the one giving Russian Ambassadors heart attacks?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So my trip got canceled, so expect to see a full Mission 2 update tomorrow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

The best part about the Ace Combat 6 thread is that the title crow should pick is immensely obvious.

At this point I have resigned myself to it. And while "SHUT UP MARCUS!" worked back in the planning stage of things way back in October 2015, seeing the thread culture develop around the LPs I've basically settled on Dunce with the Angels - Let's Play Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation for AC6's thread title.

That said, there is not a force in heaven or earth that can sway me away from "South America vs. the F-22" for Ace Combat X's thread title... Unless Trump starts bombing Ecuador or something...

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, there is not a force in heaven or earth that can sway me away from "South America vs. the F-22" for Ace Combat X's thread title... Unless Trump starts bombing Ecuador or something...
I thought that game was H.A.W.X!

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
In non-Ace Combat news, I just got to the part in Vector Thrust where you get to fly what is essentially a MiG-21 fuselage with F-104 tail and wings. Is good fun.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

Guys, does Crow work as a hit man? Did the mob just get him off, and now he has to go on "business" to pay them back?

..is Crow the one giving Russian Ambassadors heart attacks?

nine-gear crow posted:

So my trip got canceled, so expect to see a full Mission 2 update tomorrow.

Is anyone aware of one of Putin's enemies dying suddenly in a freak accident that isn't clearly an assassination?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Open War

Mission 2: Operation Gyre – September 27th, 2010

Overview: An unidentified spy ship has been detected off the coast of Sand Island. It appears to be launching UAV spy drones on vectors leading towards Sand Island and the Osean mainland. Wardog Squadron is dispatched to verify the situation, and if need be shoot down the drones before they can penetrate Osean airspace.

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this video by the fantastic mateo360. Mateo has done a series of really great LPs including Star Trek: Bridge Commander (sometimes jokingly called the defacto 5th game in the X-Wing Tetralogy), Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force with berryjon (winner of the "IP most ill-suited to base a first person shooter off of" Award in perpetuity until the Heat Death of the Universe – I actually liked Elite Force II better, but don't tell anyone), ReBoot, and many others.

He was also running a co-op LP of Castle Crashers along with dscruffy1, Miz Kriss, and shibbotech, though it was recently eaten by the Archive Lock.

OPEN WAR

For a mission that literally sees the start of the titular war of The Unsung War, there's really not much to say about it on its head that doesn't spoil what actually happens in the video. The in-universe boilerplate is this:

On September 27th, 2010, the Union of Yuktobanian Republics formally declared war on its former international ally the Osean Federation, beginning what would later be called the "Circum-Pacific War". After a period of rapidly rising tensions and apparently instability in Yuktobania, the UYR parliament voted unanimously to formally abrogate the Osea-Yuktobania Peace Treaty of 1996 and declare open, unprovoked war on the Osean Federation. No official reason for the declaration has been given, though Yuktobanian state media has cited "unchecked Osean aggression" as a possible reason. The Osean government vehemently denies these allegations. Yuktobanian state media also claims that Prime Minister Nikanor was present for and voted in favour of the war declaration, though no footage of the vote or his signing of the resolution has been released to the public thus far.

In response, both the Osean House of Representatives and Senate voted unanimously to declare war on the Union of Yuktobanian Republics, with President Harling calling on all branches of the Osean military to defend the Federation from any land, sea, or air strikes by the Yuktobanian military and repel any invasion attempts on cities and territories along the west coast.

The Assembly of Nations has called for harsh sanctions against Yuktobania to be enacted, and for the UYR to be ejected from the G7 council. Both resolutions are expected to fail, as Yuktobania has permanent membership on and veto power over the AN Security Council.

As of this moment, the Yuktobanian Navy and Air Force appear poised to strike the city of St. Hewlett and its naval port, home of the Osean Maritime Defense Force's 3rd Fleet, and its flagship, the famous O.F.S. Kestrel.

GYRE

Broadly, a gyre is any swirling vortex of air or water. In oceanography, the term gyre refers to the massive swirling currents that churn in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans that circulate the waters between the continental shores. For example, debris swept out to sea by the massive 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami was carried from the shores of Japan to the coasts of British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California by the North Pacific ocean gyre over the course of roughly three months.

LEITMOTIF

Something I didn't get the chance to mention in the video, so I'll say it here, is that if you listen to the background track of this mission, "Wardog," you can very pointedly hear the main theme of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies creep into the melody in certain places. There's two songs on the base game soundtrack that do this, this and the one coming up in two missions' time, "First Flight".

It's not often that the various Ace Combat games reference one anothers' soundtracks, so this makes a nice little musical passing of the torch from 04 to 5 in a way that's not readily noticeable unless you know what you're looking for.

Tracks featured in Mission 2:

DISC 1

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 18, 2017

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
RIP Steve Blum, we didn't even get to make a Toonami joke :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe it's just a dream, and he'll wake up from it eventually.

Maybe.:smith:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I've always thought that 5 had the best early game of any of the big three. Sure, you get your pair of quick, easy tutorial missions, but then they remove a character who looks like he might be a big deal at first glance and go completely apeshit with the next few missions. It's great.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Can anyone with better eyes tell me what the excerpt before each mission says? I know it doesn't have any importance, but the start and end of every line is too dark for me to read and it annoys me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath"

It is hella dark though for some reason. Is it like that in the game itself or is it just the capture?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Given that this is the start of the war, I imagine that 'Gyre' here is a reference to Yeats' 'The Second Coming.'

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

CJacobs posted:

It is hella dark though for some reason. Is it like that in the game itself or is it just the capture?

I think a majority of the TVs I've seen it on it tends to be on the darker side, and when I streamed it it was even darker. Might just be the way capture cards interact with the game.

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016
Shame we can't get into my comments about the first couple of missions because of how much spoilers it relies upon from much later in the game. Namely... whats going on on the other side of the border.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

VhenRa posted:

Shame we can't get into my comments about the first couple of missions because of how much spoilers it relies upon from much later in the game. Namely... whats going on on the other side of the border.

Yeah, it's a shame it'll be most of the game before we can discuss that without delving too far into a grey area subject matter that Crow has declared off-limits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't believe Steve Blum is dead, guys.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I can't think of one game out there where Steve Blum - or an anime for that matter - where a character voiced by Steve Blum has died.

He just had the water shoved in his face by Project Aces.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lunethex posted:

I can't think of one game out there where Steve Blum - or an anime for that matter - where a character voiced by Steve Blum has died.

He just had the water shoved in his face by Project Aces.

There's some prominent examples but saying which ones would be literal death spoilers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe that was the joke

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

"Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath"

A bit of both. The loading screens/menus are really dark, and I'm not honestly doing anyone any favors by doing direct capture from a PS2, but that's the sad reality of things since my LP PS3 died. I'm experimenting with certain things to see if I can get a better picture quality though, because I remember Zero looking a hell of a lot better than 5 is turning out, so I think I might have to adjust a few things in Premiere.

At least 6, X, and 7 are going to be done on the Xbox 360, PC, and PS4, so I once we clear 5 we'll have actual good footage quality again, I promise.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Crow, is there a particular release schedule you would want me to put Assault Horizon out in?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NobleSixFour posted:

Crow, is there a particular release schedule you would want me to put Assault Horizon out in?

Well from here out I'm gonna shoot for two updates a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays just because AC5 is such a big loving game. I'm not particularly picky on when / how you decide to roll out AH, though it would probably be best to leave off on those two days so people have a chance to react to each LP without tripping over each other.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You heard it here first, folks! Nine-gear crow is going to update Ace Combat 5 Every Day until the LP is finished! Good luck, crow! :toot:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CJacobs posted:

I believe that was the joke

It's loving impossible for me to tell anymore. :smithicide:

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Well from here out I'm gonna shoot for two updates a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays just because AC5 is such a big loving game. I'm not particularly picky on when / how you decide to roll out AH, though it would probably be best to leave off on those two days so people have a chance to react to each LP without tripping over each other.

I imagine its also influenced by how short more then a few missions of this game are compared to other AC games?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Narrow Margin

Mission 3: Emergency Sortie – September 27th, 2010

Overview: Wardog Squadron is rerouted to the naval port at St. Hewlett on an emergency sortie to provide top cover for the Osean Maritime Defense Force’s 3rd Fleet and its flagship the O.F.S. Kestrel as it evacuates the harbor. The Yuktobanian Air Force and Navy have launched a coordinated surprise attack on Port St. Hewlett to sink the OMDF fleet at anchor as their official first strike in the Circum-Pacific War.

With Capt. Bartlett’s status after bailout still indeterminate, Nagase is promoted to acting captain and given command of Wardog Squadron for the remaining duration of the mission.

Guest Commentator: I am joined today for this mission by CirclMastr. After I ruined an episode of his Covert Action LP, he has come to this LP to return the favor.

In addition to Covert Action, he has also done LPs of Alpha Protocol, Contradiction, Just Cause 2, Kengo: Master of Bushido (with Danaru), and Superhot (also with Danaru), among others. He is currently conduction a group LP of the Jackbox Party Pack 2 after a successful run at the first one.

In addition to being the brother of Detroit: Become Human actor Valorie Curry, he's also famous for his 500-hour long quest to get Cloud and Barret to level 99 in Mako Reactor No. 1, aka the very first playable area of Final Fantasy VII, just to prove it was possible.

SWORDSMAN
Callsign(s): Swordsman, The Wandering Pilot
Sex: Male
Nationality: Osea
Signature Plane: F-14A Tomcat
Voice Actor: Beau Billingslea

An OMDF naval air captain and the flight lead of the ONADF’s V-206 strike fighter squadron. Stern and responsible, Marcus Snow is a model of naval professionalism and one of the keenest flight commanders in the Osean Navy. Based off the carrier Kestrel, Snow is the Commander Air Group (CAG) for the Kestrel’s entire fighter wing.

Snow commands the respect and loyalty of the pilots under his command, a loyalty he repays fiercely. Much like Nagase and Davenport, Snow also possesses a strong moral compass and a firm belief in right and wrong.

As I mentioned in the Ace Combat Zero LP, the Belkan ace squadron Schnee is a reference to Marcus Snow, both in their name and their choice of plane. Both Snow and Schnee team fly F-14s, and the word Schnee is German for Snow. Marcus Snow also shares a voice actor with Zero’s Anthony Palmer. Beau Billingslea voices both Snow and Palmer, an though Palmer appears first in-universe, he is actually Billingslea’s second outing in an Ace Combat game.

Snow is also, as a matter of trivia, one of only six black characters in the Ace Combat franchise, the others being Electrosphere’s Keith Bryan, Zero’s Anthony Palmer, Assault Horizon Legacy’s Edgar Grint, Yellow 4 in Shattered Skies, and Assault Horizon’s Doug Robinson.

Additionally, Snow, thanks to a translation error, is one of the highest ranking characters in the franchise as a naval air force captain (the equivalent rank to a regular air force colonel). In the Japanese version, Snow is a naval lieutenant (the equivalent of an air force captain, on par with Jack Bartlett).

ANDERSEN
Callsign(s): Captain Andersen, Kestrel Actual
Sex: Male
Nationality: Osea
Signature Plane: None
Voice Actor: Simon Prescott

The commanding officer of the aircraft carrier O.F.S. Kestrel and the in-field commander of the Osean Maritime Defense Force’s 3rd Naval Fleet.

A life-long veteran of the Osean naval forces. Nicholas A. Andersen joined the OMDF naval academy right out of high school. Having grown up during the height of the Cold War, he has spent the majority of his life preparing for the day, God forbid, that Osea and Yuktobania went to war. He never possibly imagined he would actually see it unfurl after 15 years of peace no less.

As the captain of the O.F.S. Kestrel, Andersen is effectively the highest ranking non-flag officer in the Osean Maritime Defense Force just in terms of men and material under his direct command.

ST. HEWLETT

Situated on the shores of the Ceres Ocean, St. Hewlett is an industrial city on the Osean west coast, and home to one of the largest naval and civilian shipping ports in Northern Osea. St. Hewlett is also home of the Port St. Hewlett Naval Base, the home port of the Osean Maritime Defense Force’s 3rd Fleet under the command of Captain Nicholas A. Andersen of the O.F.S. Kestrel.

The port at St. Hewlett services most of western Osea as a major shipping and transport hub and was, until the outbreak of the Circum-Pacific War, the primary shipping gateway between Osea and Yuktobania. The Yuktobanian bombing of St. Hewlett as their opening salvo in the war was seen as as much of a symbolic blow as it was a strategic one.

O.F.S. KESTREL

The flagship of the Osean Maritime Defense Force’s 3rd Fleet and, functionally, the flagship of the OMDF’s entire Pacific armada.

The aircraft carrier recently celebrated its 15th birthday and the 15th anniversary of its maiden voyage during Operation Costner, an Osean-led counter strike operation during the Allied Forces’ push to retake Sapish and Ustian territory in the early days of the war. With the signing of the Treaty of Lumen, the Kestrel’s role in the Belkan War came to a close and she made her long trip from Oured Bay to her new home in St. Hewlett to take her place at the head of the 3rd Fleet.

Sometime after she arrived at St. Hewlett, her provisional captain, Commander Weeker, turned over command of the ship to her new captain, Nicholas A. Andersen. Andersen has been at the conn of the Kestrel ever since.

In the 15 years since the end of the Belkan War, the Kestrel has seen action around the Pacific and Ceres oceans as part of a global peace keeping force and joint training operations with the Yuktobanian Navy. She recently returned to St. Hewlett after a brief deployment to the Fuscum Sea. The Kestrel recently conducted joint operations with the Emmerian flagship, the battlecruiser H.M.E.S. Marigold, in response to intelligence that the Estovakian Civil War may about to boil over into armed conflict again.

In addition to her support fleet and logistical craft, the Kestrel is joined in the 3rd Fleet by her younger sister ships, the carriers O.F.S. Buzzard and O.F.S. Vulture.

EMERGENCY SORTIE(S)

This mission unveils something that, so far, has only appeared in Ace Combat 5: the in-mission briefing. Yes, as part of 5’s effort to have more cohesion between story and gameplay, there are an unsmall number of missions in the game that don’t have traditional briefings. Instead, Intel will contact you directly in the cockpit and give you an ad hoc in-field briefing using the mini map. Sometimes you won’t even get a briefing and will just get thrown into missions blind have to rely on your AWACS to get you through it with real-time info.

This also means that with these new emergency or serialized missions, there will be certain stretches where you never get to visit a proper hangar and make adjustments to your flight loadout. It’s not a big deal right off the bat because we still don’t even have access to the hangar period yet, but in the coming missions plane choice is key, because there will be several chains of missions that happen one after the other and your time in the hangar will be surprisingly truncated over the game.

Of course, this is only if you’re playing through the campaign mode normally. If you come back and play any of these missions in Free Mission mode once you’ve beaten the game, you can take any plane you have access to into the mission.

WINGMAN COMMANDS

Now that we have functionally assumed command of Wardog Squadron as of this mission, the Wingman Commands menu is now at our disposal. You may remember a more refined version of this little menu appearing in Ace Combat Zero. Wingman Commands are mapped the to the D-pad, which each of the four buttons activating a certain command mode which affects the behavior of your AI squadron members.

The Wingman Commands allows you to direct your squadron members to do certain things in combat and shift between different AI behavior stances. Your three primary settings are CVR (Cover), ATK (Attack) and DSP (Disperse), with a fourth one SPW (Special Weapons) being a toggle instead of a mode change.

Cover tells your wingmates to stick close to your tail and cover you. They will focus on defending you from any immediate threats that might be gunning for you specifically, with a lesser focus on peeling off and engaging targets of opportunity in their immediate area when possible.

Attack tells your wingmates to go on the offensive, but still stick close to you in case you need to order them to form up quickly for one reason or another.

Disperse tells your wingmates to basically fly as they see fit. It cancels all range and behavior restrictions, allowing them to roam wherever they feel like it on the map and attack any target they wish. This is good for those Ace Combat 04-style shooting gallery missions or missions with objectives spread out across vast distances of the map.

Special Weapons authorizes your wingmates to use their special weaponry in combat.

JACK BARTLETT, MIA

And thus, Ace Combat 5 earns that “Mentor Occupational Health Hazard” bullet on its TV Tropes page.

Despite the quick scrambling of an SAR flight and having the precise coordinates of his ditch location, Sand Island Search and Rescue was unable to locate and recover Captain Jack Bartlett. His parachute and ejector seat were found floating near the last known location of the Yuktobanian spy ship, but no other trace of Bartlett was found by the SAR team.

It is possible that he was recovered by the ocean by the Yuktobanians and taken as a prisoner of war, however Osean Military Intelligence believes this to be highly unlikely, ruling Bartlett and his copilot likely drowned before the rescue team reached them.

Captain Bartlett is currently listed as “missing, presumed deceased” by the OADF. No further search efforts are planned at this time.

ZIPANG

The Named Ace of this mission, Zipang, is named after the naval manga Zipang by Kaiji Kawaguchi, about the crew of the fictional JDS Mirai (DDH-182) serving in the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF).

The manga ran from 2000 to 2009 and sees the Mirai and her crew mysteriously transported back in time to World War II (the irony being "mirai" is Japanese for "future" and the ship winds up in the past). With its advanced weaponry and technology, and the crew's foreknowledge of events yet to happen (like the sinking of the Yamato and the Battle of Midway), the ship could rewrite the course of history for Japan and the world, but the crew resolves try and return to the present leaving the past unaltered. However, when they save the life of a stranded Japanese sailor, they end up accidentally altering history more than they could have possibly imagined.

Aircraft featured in Mission 3

Nimrod R1
Manufacturer: Hawker Siddeley
Role: Maritime patrol / anti-submarine aircraft
Manufactured: 1967-????
Primary Operators: United Kingdom
Quick Facts:
  • Appears in Ace Combats 5, and 6.
  • Is a heavily modified version of the de Havilland DH 106 Comet, the world’s first commercial jetliner.
  • Designed to replace the aging Avro Shackleton.
  • Functions primarily as an anti-submarine reconnaissance plane, but can function as a bomber as well.
  • Saw combat in the Falklands War, the first Gulf War, and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
  • Involved primarily in seaborne search and rescue missions off the coast of the United Kingdom.
  • Has an underside bomb bay that can deploy torpedoes, missiles, or non-combat equipment like sonar bogeys, inflatable dinghies, and survival packages.