Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Can you?
Take it all away
Take it all away
Shove it in my face
This pain you gave to me
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Making that thing at the end was incredibly fun lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm probably going to have to upload the full version of it as an extra because there's a lot of funny details in it that were lost scaling it down to match the gameplay video size.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got the perfect thumbnail for you

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You forgot or "forgot" about Nixon in your president talk.

NobleSixFour posted:

On that note, I would like to put out a call for interested Assault Horizon guest commentators.

Kadorhal posted:

I'd like to put out a concurrent call for potential guests for HAWX, as well, now that I've got everything I need to properly LP it.

If you need someone to fill out the dull mission. You know where to find me. I assume.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Cooked Auto posted:

You forgot or "forgot" about Nixon in your president talk.

They were naming presidents after Ford.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

They were naming presidents after Ford.

I must've forgotten my The President song order. :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SO what was Pops even doing in this mission. I always figured he was going for his morning leisure flight and like hell if he was going to let a few missiles stop him.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I think the idea was evacuation of non-essential personnel in case the island gets taken or something.

Problem is, only Pops took off, and he did it in the middle of a bunch of F-15s going apeshit overhead.

So yeah, who know's it's kinda dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fun fact: Gerald R. Ford is the only person to assume the office of President of the United States who was never actually elected to either the presidency or vice presidency. He now has an aircraft carrier named after him. :eng101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

nine-gear crow posted:

Fun fact: Gerald R. Ford is the only person to assume the office of President of the United States who was never actually elected to either the presidency or vice presidency. He now has an aircraft carrier named after him. :eng101:

Should've called it the Enterprise. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Should've called it the Enterprise. :colbert:
We have two carriers named Enterprise already, though. Okay yes, the second one isn't seeing the light of day for about another decade, but still.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

We have two carriers named Enterprise already, though. Okay yes, the second one isn't seeing the light of day for about another decade, but still.

No wonder American is going to the shitter. No Enterprise around.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Crow, you might want to recheck if the LPs of the previous games are still up in the LP archive. Your links are broken and I can't find them in the archive search.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think the idea was evacuation of non-essential personnel in case the island gets taken or something.

Problem is, only Pops took off, and he did it in the middle of a bunch of F-15s going apeshit overhead.

So yeah, who know's it's kinda dumb.

I would think they would evacuate pretty essential personnel. Like Colonel Perrault and Captain Hamilton.

Though Genette says Pops came back "the morning after", so it was likely just Pops in the plane. Maybe Kirk too.

Speaking of Kirk, you fine folks will see that Kirk is a bit more invincible than other dogs, surviving many situations he otherwise should not, such as A loving EJECTION FROM A PLANE WHAT THE gently caress HE IS A DOG AND DOESN'T FIT INTO A loving EJECTION SEAT OH MY GOD

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 13, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
While I appreciate the enthusiasm with regard to everyone's favorite doge, could we maybe nix the second of those two spoilers just to be absolutely sure?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

nine-gear crow posted:

While I appreciate the enthusiasm with regard to everyone's favorite doge, could we maybe nix the second of those two spoilers just to be absolutely sure?

Done.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
You know, I always thought that it was him going off on some kind of regularly scheduled supply run and that he just sort of didn't give a gently caress about this one starting in the middle of a giant raid. He certainly seems blase enough.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, but if we named this ship the Enterprise*, then the entire class could be called Enterprise, which has a rich and storied tradition in the Navy instead of being named after a guy who was never elected President and didn't even serve a full term. :colbert:

*also acceptable: Hornet, Yorktown

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay Ace Combat fans: Go forth and help Tyty decide what lovely internet browser to use!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Ok, can I come to Assault Horizon's defense here? Because, while the the game has problems, it's still fun. I will now attempt to explain why by going off my horrible, horrible memory because I haven't touched the game in at least 5 or 6 months. Wish me luck!

1) The inclusion of Dogfight Mode, though clunky in execution, was a good step forward in showing off the modernized damage modelling that the PS3/XBOX360 could achieve (I personally have the PS3 version). C'mon, you know you got tingles in your spine when you first triggered DFM outside of the tutorial. For me, that moment didn't quite sink in until the Dubai mission. Zipping between skyscrapers, right on the tail of a Fulcrum in my Tomcat...I press those shoulder buttons, and suddenly I'm right there, ripping into it with my vulcan and shoving missiles right up its tailpipe until all that's left is an oily smear of fire and steel. I believe that, with further refinement, DFM would've been choice. Would've loved to have seen it in Infinity.

2) The helicopter missions (or, in my case, mission since I didn't finish the game). Out of place? Perhaps, but it was nice to see them branch out and try new things. Hopefully we see/play more helicopters in AC8! No, really, the helicopter mission I played, though clunky and jarring, just seemed to be a natural fit given the setting. Really felt like it belonged in my eyes.

3) The Spooky mission. Yes, I like the on-rails AC-130 mission. Sue me; I like cratering runways that are hidden in incredibly large archaeological sites with 120mm howitzer shells.

4) The music. Oh dear lord, that music! My favorite tracks are "'REBIRTH' from Sand Storm," "Inferno," "Town of Fiction," "Dogfight," "Blue on Blue," "Mrs. Krista Yoslav," and "Release." The rest of the OST is pretty nice, but those are the tracks that really stand out for me, especially "Blue on Blue," which plays in the mission of the same name. It reinforces the subtle but ever present sense of urgency throughout the mission that's been building up until this point in the game, and when Markov shows up... that's when the stakes start to rise. Best track in the game for one of the best dogfights in the game.

I could go on, but those are the four main points that I wanted to touch on.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

It doesn't matter because both have Adblock & Noscript :v:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, but if we named this ship the Enterprise*, then the entire class could be called Enterprise, which has a rich and storied tradition in the Navy instead of being named after a guy who was never elected President and didn't even serve a full term. :colbert:

*also acceptable: Hornet, Yorktown

In all fairness, he was a Naval Aviator as well so it's not the worst name they could have chosen :shrug:

Also how will you do the coin missions? I really hope you do Reprisal, it's one of my favorite missions in the series

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

Also how will you do the coin missions? I really hope you do Reprisal, it's one of my favorite missions in the series

Same way I did the A and B path missions in AC2/AHL: each one will get their own update.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

HereticMIND posted:

Ok, can I come to Assault Horizon's defense here? Because, while the the game has problems, it's still fun. I will now attempt to explain why by going off my horrible, horrible memory because I haven't touched the game in at least 5 or 6 months. Wish me luck!

1) The inclusion of Dogfight Mode, though clunky in execution, was a good step forward in showing off the modernized damage modelling that the PS3/XBOX360 could achieve (I personally have the PS3 version). C'mon, you know you got tingles in your spine when you first triggered DFM outside of the tutorial. For me, that moment didn't quite sink in until the Dubai mission. Zipping between skyscrapers, right on the tail of a Fulcrum in my Tomcat...I press those shoulder buttons, and suddenly I'm right there, ripping into it with my vulcan and shoving missiles right up its tailpipe until all that's left is an oily smear of fire and steel. I believe that, with further refinement, DFM would've been choice. Would've loved to have seen it in Infinity.

2) The helicopter missions (or, in my case, mission since I didn't finish the game). Out of place? Perhaps, but it was nice to see them branch out and try new things. Hopefully we see/play more helicopters in AC8! No, really, the helicopter mission I played, though clunky and jarring, just seemed to be a natural fit given the setting. Really felt like it belonged in my eyes.

3) The Spooky mission. Yes, I like the on-rails AC-130 mission. Sue me; I like cratering runways that are hidden in incredibly large archaeological sites with 120mm howitzer shells.

4) The music. Oh dear lord, that music! My favorite tracks are "'REBIRTH' from Sand Storm," "Inferno," "Town of Fiction," "Dogfight," "Blue on Blue," "Mrs. Krista Yoslav," and "Release." The rest of the OST is pretty nice, but those are the tracks that really stand out for me, especially "Blue on Blue," which plays in the mission of the same name. It reinforces the subtle but ever present sense of urgency throughout the mission that's been building up until this point in the game, and when Markov shows up... that's when the stakes start to rise. Best track in the game for one of the best dogfights in the game.

I could go on, but those are the four main points that I wanted to touch on.

Now, I'll preface this by saying that Assault Horizon is, unfortunately, one of only two Ace Combat games I've actually owned and completed (The other being AC6). And I had fun with it! I have fond memories of getting a pre-order code for the F-4 Phantom from a goon in the old AC thread, and even bought the game on PC during a steam sale to play through it again last year.

But while Assault Horizon did do some things well... it just wasn't a very good game. And the reason why is simple: Gimmicks. DFM, Helicopters, the AC-130 mission, the Tom Clancy-esque real-world plot, all of these things and more were packed into the game to make it mechanically and aesthetically different from previous AC games. Some of these worked out more than others-DFM was clunky, but usually worked, and the Moscow helicopter mission was genuinely fun. But because there were so many gimmicks packed into Assault Horizon, the game suffered as a whole. Practically every other mission was devoted to a gimmick of some kind (Christ those turret sections), and as a result only a few of the game's missions offered the kind of genuine arcade dogfighting fun that the series is famous for. The plot was also bad even by Ace Combat standards, rehashing a lot of the first Modern Warfare but doing it much worse.

Last year, inspired by Crow's LP, I decided to replay both Ace Combat 6 and Assault Horizon for the hell of it, since they're what I had. And I can tell you right now, I'd much rather replay 6 than Assault Horizon again, for the simple reason that 6 is much more polished and solid mechanically, and offers a much more even and enjoyable experience across missions than Assault Horizon.

Edit: Hell, I'd rather replay fuckin' HAWX than Assault Horizon, that should tell you everything you need to know right there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Edit: Hell, I'd rather replay fuckin' HAWX than Assault Horizon, that should tell you everything you need to know right there.

it says you haven't played hawx in long enough that you forgot how loving dire it is

also if you're talking about gimmicks and don't even mention OFF mode, well, um...

e: rereading this post I want to be clear, your points about AH are pretty reasonable, but ...hawx...noooo

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 15, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

it says you haven't played hawx in long enough that you forgot how loving dire it is

also if you're talking about gimmicks and don't even mention OFF mode, well, um...

To be fair, HAWX2 is even more rife with gimmicks considering it has three and a half mission where you awkwardly fly a drone, one gunship mission and at least one where you have to lead enemies into designated killzones. Oh and a rerun of the Norfolk mission where you have to follow a sett assist path or die. Not to mention the canyon run. And that does not include OFF mode which is even more useless than it was in the first game thanks to the changed AI.

In comparison HAWX1 is pretty low on gimmicks with only OFF mode, jamming and the occasional mission specific thing.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 15, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At the time I played and finished HAWX1 I felt it was a decent enough start to an Ace Combat clone. No ridiculous story or memorable characters to speak of but it always felt like it was really just to get something with the mechanics out there. I didn't mind the assisted path mechanic nearly as much as DFM in AH since it only came up for some specific ground targets or if you spent a long time chasing a single target so I didn't spend a lot of time in it. Even OFF mode, camera angle aside, was basically just a way to turn really fast with JET DRIFTING so you didn't get into endless circle fights and if they insisted on keeping that camera all they really needed to do was insert a targeting circle so you could know where to aim. It was never a great game but I played it and said "Okay, this was obviously not a game with a huge budget and it wasn't great but if they can improve on what is here maybe there's some potential."

Then HAWX2 happened.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

At the time I played and finished HAWX1 I felt it was a decent enough start to an Ace Combat clone. No ridiculous story or memorable characters to speak of but it always felt like it was really just to get something with the mechanics out there.

That was pretty much my main point back when I did the LP of the first game. It was a decently enough AC clone, with a bunch of obvious points that the developers had glanced at the series beforehand for inspiration. But never really following through with them fully or never got any real time to do so. The game had some good moments but the lack of a proper final mission felt like a bit of a whimper.
The idea with OFF mode was interesting, but the biggest problem was obviously the terrible camera that made it hard to do anything decent with.

Kibayasu posted:

Then HAWX2 happened.

Then yeah...

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The main issue I had with OFF mode was that it did quite the opposite from what was indicated- taking me out of the cockpit and having only a few, specific uses for it meant that I felt like I had even less control of the plane than usual.

When I replayed AC5, I found myself so far immersed in the cockpit that I fell back into swaying with the rolls and flinching my head away from passing cell towers two inches from my wing. That "feel" needed to be magnified, but HAWX did the precise opposite.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
AC5's biggest problem is sending you up in an F-5 with bombs for multiple air to air missions in a row. at least take them off so I can get a nice clean wing, Namco!

yep, that's it. The biggest problem, right here. :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Psion posted:

e: rereading this post I want to be clear, your points about AH are pretty reasonable, but ...hawx...noooo

Having replayed HAWX for the first time in probably seven years today for the hell of it, you would be correct :v:

Though I will say that it does beat the hell out of AC in terms of aircraft options. The Corsair-II? The flying dorito? Three Tomcats? If a mainline AC game had a selection like that, I'd never stop playing. Though the Starfighter in AC7 is certainly a good start

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

To counter that point- they use the exact same model for their A, B and D Tomcats. And they're also lazily done.

Ace Combat PS2 and later games model them correctly, with leading edge flaps and spoilerons. HAWX? Eh, just add an aileron to each wingtip.

Both HAWX games just have these little bits of 'couldn't be hosed' that puts a damper on the whole thing.

Though they get points for including the SEPECAT Jaguar, which deserves more respect.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

Though they get points for including the SEPECAT Jaguar, which deserves more respect.

Well it is "top of the line" after all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Paingod556 posted:

To counter that point- they use the exact same model for their A, B and D Tomcats. And they're also lazily done.

Ace Combat PS2 and later games model them correctly, with leading edge flaps and spoilerons. HAWX? Eh, just add an aileron to each wingtip.

Both HAWX games just have these little bits of 'couldn't be hosed' that puts a damper on the whole thing.

"Low-effort" isn't wrong-I'd forgotten they don't even model ordnance on the rails and just have missiles and bombs appear from the aether, which is something Ace Combat games had been modeling since forever by that point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Low-effort" isn't wrong-I'd forgotten they don't even model ordnance on the rails and just have missiles and bombs appear from the aether, which is something Ace Combat games had been modeling since forever by that point.

No I am pretty sure they at least model that in both HAWX games. At least I have a memory of going over the various weapons in the first game and their real life counterparts a couple of times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paingod556 posted:

I bought HAWX on a sale and enjoyed being able to fly a SR-71 they somehow stuffed full of missiles.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

No I am pretty sure they at least model that in both HAWX games. At least I have a memory of going over the various weapons in the first game and their real life counterparts a couple of times.

Correct, they model ordnance on the player plane. Although most of the times when planes appear in cinematics (whether player or otherwise) they do not model the ordnance then.

And I can't believe you guys didn't mention that they used the same model for the F-15C and E, which IMO is orders of magnitude more egregious than what they did with the Tomcats.

Edit: I've never watched Area 88, but I'm given to understand that playing the Al-Hudun Refinery level in a Crusader could be construed as some sort of reference to it, so there's also that.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 15, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Edit: huh, didn't see Noble's post above :downs:

Paingod556 posted:

Same deal with the F-15C and -E where they are both the same exact single-seater model.

Cythereal posted:

I bought HAWX on a sale and enjoyed being able to fly a SR-71 they somehow stuffed full of missiles.
That is one of the few things in HAWX's favour.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Hawx2 had a neat final mission, at least. That's probably its sole positive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lynneth posted:

Hawx2 had a neat final mission, at least. That's probably its sole positive?

That it did, made up for the really lacklustre one from the first game by a mile.

Beyond that I think both games had about the equal number of decent mission. One of which involves an aircraft carrier in both cases I should mention. :v: