Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

insta posted:

In other measurements, one atmosuit dock takes 1.83 gas reservoirs of oxygen to completely charge up (including the suit). They're bonkers.

Also they don't have any carbon dioxide exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why do atmo docks need electricity?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Qubee posted:

I think of it as there’s a little pump/valve combo in there that actually gets the air into the suit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can autosweepers pick up stuff from storage bins or only the floor? For example can you make an autosweeper deliver a good between a storage unit and device that needs that unit as a resource?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah. For instance it can take coal out of a bin and load a generator with it.

Or automatically load ingredients into a grill.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Can autosweepers pick up stuff from storage bins or only the floor? For example can you make an autosweeper deliver a good between a storage unit and device that needs that unit as a resource?

Autosweepers move things from low priority to high priority. So make sure your container is lower priority than your device. The ground counts as 0 priority.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there an ideal ratio to how many smart batteries you should have per coal generator?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Is there an ideal ratio to how many smart batteries you should have per coal generator?
If you have enough automation wire you would ideally run a single battery for the entire grid, as coal stored as fuel doesn't lose energy. Once you're on smart batteries the need for a ratio goes away - you only worry about that with jumbos because you can't shut the generators off using automation and have to rely on the fuel request.

That said, I built my grid out of two generators to each smart battery when I had three independent 1kW circuits, and once I created a power spine it was two generators and a battery for each hatch ranch. Now that I have a petroleum generator running 24/7, two natgas hookups and a large ethanol stockpile for emergencies, coal is pretty much being phased out. Having a power spine gives you this kind of modularity.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Qubee posted:

It takes a lot of power to compress 2 full gas reservoirs into a atmo suit backpack.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Megasabin posted:

One s.battery for all generators, unless you're anticipating long-term difficulty resupplying the generator(s) before they run out and can't or won't switch to other types of generators. Or unless you're trying something weird, like a flipper grid (which requires multiple batteries).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
When you dock an atmo suit does it just fill the oxygen that's been depleted, or a full load? It has to be the former or I'd have electrolyzed all my water ages ago.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

When you dock an atmo suit does it just fill the oxygen that's been depleted, or a full load? It has to be the former or I'd have electrolyzed all my water ages ago.

Just what's been depleted. Took me like 3 cycles to fill all my atmo docks with o2, and then when my dupes use them, they get refilled in a few seconds.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just wanted to get some input on my game.

I reached where I was in 80 cycles last game at about 35 cycles this time. I'm now at the 50 cycle mark.

I am in a comfortable place where I have 5 dupes, growing enough food for 6 (60K calorie excess stored up), and making enough of oxygen with algae terrariums & deodorizers. I carved a way to the nearest ice biome and inside of it built an entire set-up for coal generators, power spine, smart batteries, carbon skimmer. I also set up a hatch ranch in my base for coal. Due to the relatively long walk from my base to the ice biome I pre-built a full automation set-up with auto-sweeper and conveyor rails to bring the coal from my base and feed it to the generators on it's own.

The only issue is that it takes 7 skill points to build automation stuff! I didn't realize this so now I'm at a situation where everything is ready to go, but I still need about 10,000xp. I kind of don't want to place the actually generators yet, because I don't want my dupes constantly running all the way there and back.

If I spend the 10-12 cycles just tidying up my base and preparing my electrolyzer-hydrogen generator set up to jump start when the coal generators comes online, will that do major damage to me in terms of survivability? My base seems self-sustaining currently, with the only limitation I see being algae for the terrariums for oxygen production, but I have 13 tons of that. With how this game works I'm just scared there's some other x-factor I don't know about that I should be preparing for and wasting 10-12 cycles will make a difference.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I can't comment on survivability (I am terrible at this game and always forget tiny details), but there's a machine called the Skill Scrubber that lets you reset dupe's skills. You can build one of those, swap around the skillpoints for automation, then swap the skills back in way less than 10 cycles.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You could just plop a coal generator near, but outside, your base temporarily. The amount of heat and CO2 it produces in 15-25 cycles is negligible. Then when you hit the xp for mechatronics disable it and fire up the ice biome setup.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't fully understand heat deletion. Right now, I'm managing heat by abusing the cold biomes, but won't those eventually completely heat up a la global warming? I know there's a way to use steam turbines and an aquatuner to get a net positive heat deletion, but I'm not sure if I have it right:

- Aquatuner beneath steam turbine
- Enough water to create steam when aquatuner pumps heat out whilst cooling whatever you want cooled
- Steam gets eaten by steam turbine and heat is deleted
- Water is dropped back in to repeat

Is that the gist of heat deletion? And can I still send ridiculously hot water to an electrolyzer to have heat deleted, or has that been patched?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Qubee posted:

I don't fully understand heat deletion. Right now, I'm managing heat by abusing the cold biomes, but won't those eventually completely heat up a la global warming? I know there's a way to use steam turbines and an aquatuner to get a net positive heat deletion, but I'm not sure if I have it right:

- Aquatuner beneath steam turbine
- Enough water to create steam when aquatuner pumps heat out whilst cooling whatever you want cooled
- Steam gets eaten by steam turbine and heat is deleted
- Water is dropped back in to repeat

Is that the gist of heat deletion? And can I still send ridiculously hot water to an electrolyzer to have heat deleted, or has that been patched?

You have that correct. The aquatuner (and thermoregulator -- all the mechanics are the same) take 1200/240 watts respectively to lower the temperature of a packet of fluid by a fixed amount. I know the aquatuner is 14C, I think the thermoregulator is too. They do not generate their own heat, but any heat they gain is strictly a result of moving the heat from the fluid flowing through them to their own body. Water or polluted water are the preferred coolants until you get supercoolant. The problem is, as you've found, the aquatuner itself will quickly heat up beyond its "overheat temperature". You need a way to remove the heat from them, and remove it from existence.

If its in the short term, you can just heat up a body of some other fluid. If you don't have steam turbines, there are few other alternatives if you've cracked into space (this is a good use-case for liquid sulfur). Steam turbines convert hot steam into water, turning 90% of the heat energy into electricity, and moving the remaining 10% of heat into itself. There are only a few mechanisms for actual heat deletion, the three main ones are steam turbines, AETN's, and wheezeworts. The electrolyser is a marginal heat-deleter, because the SHC of the two output gasses is lower than the input water. The temperature is the same, but the heat energy is lower. A few hundred pages ago, I posted a working example of a highly automated setup that could be built with just gold amalgam that puts out 66C oxygen with 95C input water. It exploited the SHC differences between the two to get that amount of cooling, by sending in 101C water to the electrolyser.

Phosphorite and sulfur are both plentiful materials that are renewable in their own right, and can be liquefied and heated to a steel aquatuner's overheat temperature, before being ejected into space. You're really at a weird part of the game if you have steel, space, and the ability to precisely liquify and move sulfur or phosporous, but no plastic for a turbine.

Are you good on the mechanics behind specific heat?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also remember that heat is an eventual problem, and really only matters in that it stifles your plants. Dupes will happily thrive in 70C conditions, as will the majority of ranched critters, but many important plants will not.

Heat generated by metal refineries is a much more immediate problem; you need to cool down the liquid running through them or it will very quickly cease to be coolant and start being a major hazard to anything not in an atmo suit. In the short term you can get by with a large pool of water or oil that occurs naturally - pump in fresh coolant from the water/oil source, and then dump the heated coolant into a different section of the pool. You can do this until you have enough materials to set up a more sustainable aquatuner/turbine setup with little issue.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

insta posted:

Are you good on the mechanics behind specific heat?

No, but I'm finding the advice you and Dirk posted very interesting, so feel free to enlighten me on this topic. AFAIK, SHC means how much thermal energy something can hold before causing a raise in temperature. So I know hydrogen has a highish SHC, which means it can absorb a lot more heat before becoming hotter, which makes it useful as a coolant. Or is everything I just said wrong.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You're correct on what SHC does but Hydrogen is used as a coolant because it also transfers heat the best of the room temperature gases. It's good for regulating the temperature of other gases (like the living quarters of dupes) because they have relatively the same amount of mass involved. Once you move into cooling liquids and solids that have much more mass in the same amount of space, Hydrogen starts faltering due to its lack of density. You'll want to regulate temperatures through liquids for industrial heavy areas, in that case. Solids can also be used on conveyor belts but in a normal game you're rarely in a situation that would call for it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Qubee posted:

No, but I'm finding the advice you and Dirk posted very interesting, so feel free to enlighten me on this topic. AFAIK, SHC means how much thermal energy something can hold before causing a raise in temperature. So I know hydrogen has a highish SHC, which means it can absorb a lot more heat before becoming hotter, which makes it useful as a coolant. Or is everything I just said wrong.

There's also a few really odd interactions that arise from SHC. Aquatuners reduce the temperature of the coolant that passes through them by 14 degrees. That's a static number that doesn't change whether the SHC is 1 or 100, and it costs the same amount of power regardless. On the other hand, machines like metal refineries add a specific amount of DTUs (thermal energy) to the coolant, which raises the temperature based on the SHC.

This leads to the preferred coolant for aquatuner loops being polluted water or supercoolant once you have enough of it. Polluted water has a high SHC, and has a higher range of temperatures before freezing and boiling than water does, which makes it less likely to freeze or boil in the pipes (when liquids or gases change state in a pipe/vent they damage the pipe/vent and bad things happen, so be careful).

For metal refineries though, the SHC doesn't matter as much as how much energy the coolant can comfortably absorb without changing state. For a metal refinery, petroleum ends up being a fantastic coolant, as it is able to absorb a significant amount of energy without changing state. Also, the typical way to cool the coolant in a metal refinery involves running the coolant through a steam-filled room, so you can imagine that trying to run water through the pipes would quickly lead to the water boiling.

But yeah, general rule of thumb for transferring temperature is to use hydrogen if you're working with gas and polluted water or supercoolant if you're using liquid. For instance, let's say you want to exchange temperature between a liquid cooling loop and a gas loop (such as electrolyzer output). You could put the liquid piping and the gas piping through a room full of hydrogen, and the hydrogen will transfer the temperature between the two quite well.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I finished the aquatuner-steam engine part of the guide I was writing if you want to look at that for some pictures. If someone sees something I should add to it, let me know.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I finished the aquatuner-steam engine part of the guide I was writing if you want to look at that for some pictures. If someone sees something I should add to it, let me know.

Adding your guide to OP now, good stuff! Speaking of OP, is there a way to hand permissions over to someone else? I made this thread ages ago and have not touched it in forever. It's a shame cause I know someone else could do a much better job of enticing new players in.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 19, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Qubee posted:

Adding your guide to OP now, good stuff! Speaking of OP, is there a way to hand permissions over to someone else? I made this thread ages ago and have not touched it in forever. It's a shame cause I know someone else could do a much better job of enticing new players in.

Probably not. Could always ask people for input and add their contributions to your OP.

I may not post much in this thread but I lurk it a LOT.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I think they have to defeat you in ritualistic combat, but I'm not sure.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Entice someone else to remake the thread so you're no longer the OP. Lure them in with saying "It's about time for a new title" and bolt out the back door. :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Most of us are managing insane fluid-clockwork bases but no one wants to take responsibility for the OP.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can do it if no one else wants to. You just need to copy OP's OP and occasionally update the OP when they release content, right?

Also pass decrees or something. First decree: everyone's bases must subsist entirely off of puft meat.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do you find out the heat properties of the liquid/gas that a device inputs/outputs. Like I read someone here in passing mention that an electrolyzer will release oxygen at 70 degrees. I can't find where it tells you that on the electrolyzer,

How does one cool gas? Using cold liquid in pipes?

Also, Shadow, can you explain in a little bit more depth the idea of using liquid bridges to get a liquid to distribute equally when you want to branch it off a single pipeline? It's a bit hard to see the picture in the guide,

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
1. Click on an Electrolyzer or choose one from the build menu so the info box pops up. Under effects, notice that oxygen and hydrogen are highlighted. Hover your cursor over the word.

2. One way to cool gas is to snake (preferably radiant) pipes of the gas through a pool of cooler liquid. Or a cooler gas, like an ice biome.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

How do you find out the heat properties of the liquid/gas that a device inputs/outputs. Like I read someone here in passing mention that an electrolyzer will release oxygen at 70 degrees. I can't find where it tells you that on the electrolyzer,

How does one cool gas? Using cold liquid in pipes?

Also, Shadow, can you explain in a little bit more depth the idea of using liquid bridges to get a liquid to distribute equally when you want to branch it off a single pipeline? It's a bit hard to see the picture in the guide,

You'll need to use the wiki.

Yeah, that's usually your best option. In most scenarios, the only things you can cool are either gases or liquids. So anything design that cools say a building is almost certainly cooling the gas, which then cools the building. Liquids have the best heat capacity because they are much more dense than gases.

Aha, I see. I was wondering if that crop comment was a mistake, haha. I made a zoomed in image to go with it. Is that more clear?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Start on Rime and the moment you get some 70ºC oxygen will be like Tom Hanks lighting a fire in Castaway.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shumagorath posted:

Start on Rime and the moment you get some 70ºC oxygen will be like Tom Hanks lighting a fire in Castaway.

Seriously, if you get to the point where heat extinction is killing you before you can catch up with it, a Rime start will eat every scrap of waste heat you can make and space heaters besides for hundreds of cycles, allowing you all kinds of time to gently caress around with heat control.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Why is this stuck in an infinite loop of dupes grabbing materials from the normal storage (priority 5) and putting it into the drop storage (priority 1)? Does it view the drop storage in some weird different way where it wants to move from storage to storage or is this a bug?

VVV-The whole purpose is so I don't have to keep manually doing sweep commands.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 21, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Slickdrac posted:

Why is this stuck in an infinite loop of dupes grabbing materials from the normal storage (priority 5) and putting it into the drop storage (priority 1)? Does it view the drop storage in some weird different way where it wants to move from storage to storage or is this a bug?

Dunno about the priority thing, but setting the drop storage to sweep only should stop that. Drop storages should always be set to sweep only imo.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Apparently it's because:

Moon Logic posted:

Dispensers generate Supply errands rather than Storage.

So I guess the only way to not have to manually sweep every single time something is deconstructed/rebuilt is to build 3000 storage bins?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slickdrac posted:

Apparently it's because:

So I guess the only way to not have to manually sweep every single time something is deconstructed/rebuilt is to build 3000 storage bins?

Would it work to have a manually operated conveyor loader railed to the autodispensers? I think loaders use storage errands.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pigbuster posted:

Would it work to have a manually operated conveyor loader railed to the autodispensers? I think loaders use storage errands.

The throughput would be much lower since those fill up pretty quickly. I tried a setup like this once and it wasn't great.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Something like this might work:

The accessible conveyor bits are manual allowed.

You can even add storage containers if you want:

Just be warned that if you don't have a rail for each material, a material might cause a backup for another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Slickdrac posted:

Apparently it's because:

No, you're going to need a bit more power but you have a storage container or 2 set to sweep only with everything selected at say, priority 4. Then you have an arm that moves it to a loader set at priority 5. This will connect to to a conveyor dump directly above into your isolated mass storage block.

It will be slow whenever you sweep a lot into the storage because of the low rail capacity but it will work for your purposes. Add more of top storage containers till you keep up with the incoming sweeping, and it will move everything over in time. You can have a couple loaders there too if you want to speed that side up, with the dumps stacked vertically.

Set the lower storage row to priority 5 and the system won’t loop and dupes will top those off first.

Also I’d recommend you make sure that dropoff point doesn’t accept ice or you will have to clean that water up sooner or later. Unless this is Rime or you have a frozen core, then you might be able to keep it as ice forever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 21, 2020