Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I'm thinking about starting a new game and seeing how it's different now that I actually know how to play the game. Any suggestions for asteroid type/modifiers to choose or avoid?

Things to consider:
I'm looking for a bit of a challenge, but mostly for something different
I played on Tera the first time, so I haven't seen the rust, forest, or barren biomes
I know this is a bit redundant given almost everything in the late game is based on water, but I'd like something with good lategame potential
I'd prefer to have early access to granite and gold

At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Aridio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Aridio can be really tough starting out, depending on the spawn.

I would suggest maybe Verdante (no ice biome) so you have to learn how to use oxyferns and rust but you still have plenty of gold and mushrooms.

Rime can be a lot of fun, but it’s so different I think newer players will develop bad heat management habits if they play Rime before “mastering” a hotter asteroid.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I pretty much play Badlands or Oaisse now, with geo-active. Hatch ranches for days, and I try and go 8->12->24->48 dupes in stairstep.

My goal is to turn the whole map into coal in one form or another. One Oasis playthrough I made enormous cathedrals of tempshift plates from coal, just because.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Rime could either be extremely challenging or easier than Terra depending on the map generated. The only reason I mention it is that it will spawn all biomes.

Edit: vvv Very true about tungsten. I forgot about that since my map had glaciers / geodes and a great set of planets.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 27, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Since you mentioned late-game potential, I wouldn't pick Rime. Depending on what planets you get, you might not have any wolframite or tungsten available at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, Shadow0. I have been completely filling my liquid locks with water, giving the Soaking Wet debuff instead of the Wet Feet debuff. I am so glad to find out that a splash of water per tile will do.

e: How do you get just one splash of water on the bottom tile?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 28, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, Shadow0. I have been completely filling my liquid locks with water, giving the Soaking Wet debuff instead of the Wet Feet debuff. I am so glad to find out that a splash of water per tile will do.

It's worth noting that atmo suits completely prevent both debuffs, and that eventually you want every dupe to be in an atmo suit unless they're back at home. If you put the liquid locks after the atmo suit checkpoint, you no longer have to worry about that at all.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

The game's only real mechanic for stopping gas flow is liquid locks.

You could do diagonal building in some situations.

You also could build an actual airlock, but then you'll have to move the dupes into the airlock manually.

I just realized I'm the small brain. To be fair, I'm 6000 cycles in on basically my first base and still haven't built even a single tube yet. Well, I'm not sure if that's fair or not, haha.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Using a mini pump and deconstruct the pipe segment is probably the easiest way. If you're willing to sit there and watch your bottle emptiers (and I suppose you kind of have to), if you change their accepted inputs to no longer accept what they are dumping, they will stop emptying.

I recommend just isolating your base though and avoiding all the debuffs. Suits, suits everywhere.

I found this design which won't break by dupes breathing on it, which is a problem I have never considered:

Shadow0 posted:

If you're willing to sit there and watch your bottle emptiers (and I suppose you kind of have to)

This gets me every time. I constantly forget that I'm trying to build a liquid lock and then look back over and realize I have poured liquid everywhere or built a spike of viscogel that has broken through the ceiling. :doh: I at least wish you could change how much the bottle emptier requests.

While looking at the ONI wiki, I realized that they link to an article about proposed liquid locks on the moon, which is a fun read: https://www.science20.com/robert_walker/might_astronauts_dive_in_and_out_of_a_lunar_cave_habitat_through_a_liquid_airlock-234621

Edit: Some more designs:

I can't seem to find the image I remember seeing before though. :/

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 28, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

For what it's worth, assuming you don't have a bunch of standing liquid containers around, every liquid pulled from a hand pump is 200kg. So you can pretty easily guess the end result per hand delivery. What I usually do is jack up the priority so it's really high, then just check on it in a couple minutes. I know what you mean on forgetting it though.

By jacking up the priority real high at least it's getting serviced right away so once you get a feel for one lock every other lock is the filled in roughly the same duration. I mainly use the second lock on photo quoted, although the corner locks are pretty crafty. I don't know if my OCD would allow me to use them as they don't actually touch both sides though :v:.

The triple liquid stacks are very cool but honestly I think the micro needed to use those everywhere would get it to me in the end. You need to mop from the edges to not hit the middle and all that, and if they break for whatever reason you gotta redo the whole drat thing. If you're space constrained and don't have visco it's a very ingenious use of the fluid mechanics though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 28, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

For what it's worth, assuming you don't have a bunch of standing liquid containers around, every liquid pulled from a hand pump is 200kg. So you can pretty easily guess the end result per hand delivery. What I usually do is jack up the priority so it's really high, then just check on it in a couple minutes. I know what you mean on forgetting it though.

By jacking up the priority real high at least it's getting serviced right away so once you get a feel for one lock every other lock is the filled in roughly the same duration. I mainly use the second lock on photo quoted, although the corner locks are pretty crafty. I don't know if my OCD would allow me to use them as they don't actually touch both sides though :v:.

The triple liquid stacks are very cool but honestly I think the micro needed to use those everywhere would get it to me in the end. You need to mop from the edges to not hit the middle and all that, and if they break for whatever reason you gotta redo the whole drat thing. If you're space constrained and don't have visco it's a very ingenious use of the fluid mechanics though.

I wish bottle emptiers could be automated. :/ That would solve a lot of my problems.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

Oxygen Not Included - Farts are not a reliable source of power
Oxygen Not Included - Getting our heads stuck in soil since 2017
Oxygen Not Included - So my whole base was covered in urine
Two great tastes that taste great together.

Oxygen Not Included - Fart and piss powered base possible Y/N?

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
I quite like ConfusedUs' "Oxygen Not Included - gently caress its 4am"

Oxygen Not Included - Chlorine is fine
Oxygen Not Included - Rarest element in this universe is OSHA

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pigbuster posted:

Two great tastes that taste great together.

Oxygen Not Included - Fart and piss powered base possible Y/N?

I know I saw the math someone had done before, and I don't think the fart power thing will work, which is unfortunate. Each dupe just needs too much power to run a whole base on. If piss was your only water source it should work, but man it would take forever to build up enough water for anything.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

seaborgium posted:

I know I saw the math someone had done before, and I don't think the fart power thing will work, which is unfortunate. Each dupe just needs too much power to run a whole base on. If piss was your only water source it should work, but man it would take forever to build up enough water for anything.

You can't build a sustainable base with just pee. There are no long-term oxygen sources that don't use water, unless you roll like 5 PO2 geysers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whoa. I just looked at the encyclopedia on my base (not beta, up-to-date, Windows) and saw this:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's the old turbine. Is your surprise that the base is that old, or did you think the newer turbine was also gone?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My surprise is that my base is that old! When did the update go in?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the steam engine got changed sometime in the middle of last year. It's been a while.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was changed before I did the trial run of your base.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. I could have sworn that that particular save was less than a month old; I toss them regularly. Ah, well.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Would anybody be willing to do a Fix My Base to patch up my stupid magma power plant?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

Would anybody be willing to do a Fix My Base to patch up my stupid magma power plant?

I'd like to give it a try.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I'd like to give it a try.

Excellent, I'll put the save up on Google Drive this evening.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can somebody post a screenshot of an early Verdante base? By early, I mean before you've built any electrified sources of oxygen. I don't have a good feeling for the geometry to get living areas breathable. Also, in Verdante is it vital to grow slowly?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t have a screenshot but my general thing is dig down to an arbitrary base bottom, fill that with a row of all the oxyferns you can harvest, in hydroponic tiles feeding them water.

Right above that put a floor of airflow tiles, with a wood burner on it. The burner provides some power and makes a lot of CO2 which will drop down on the oxyferns.

I think 10 oxyferns will support 3 dupes, so I go light on bodies at first.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t have a screenshot but my general thing is dig down to an arbitrary base bottom, fill that with a row of all the oxyferns you can harvest, in hydroponic tiles feeding them water.

Right above that put a floor of airflow tiles, with a wood burner on it. The burner provides some power and makes a lot of CO2 which will drop down on the oxyferns.

I think 10 oxyferns will support 3 dupes, so I go light on bodies at first.
drat, and here I was thinking the wood burner was desperate trash.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Burning wood, but not consuming oxygen to do so, in order to turn the CO2 waste into O2 :allears:

Come to think, why the gently caress do we not get solid Carbon we can use for steel out of the scrubber?! Or get Carboniferous Water from it, which we can then boil off or process somehow for the same?

I need to talk to the Manager of Not Including ~

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Scrubber would make carbonic(?) acid?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

Scrubber would make carbonic(?) acid?

Depends, there's a lot of work being done on turning CO2 into a variety of carbon products. Once you get to the carbonic acid going on is a bunch of known chemistry, the only downside has always been it's not power positive in the real world.

And goddamn, sometimes it's hard to find niobium. Making liquid O2 with aluminum seems doable, can you make liquid H2 in decent quantities without thermium? Last map I finally went to space after 400 or so turns and after a bunch of rockets, turned out nothing in range of a cargo rocket had niobium.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You just need supercoolant, unless you're trying to cheese it. You can do LH2 with all midgame materials otherwise.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

seaborgium posted:

Depends, there's a lot of work being done on turning CO2 into a variety of carbon products. Once you get to the carbonic acid going on is a bunch of known chemistry, the only downside has always been it's not power positive in the real world.

And goddamn, sometimes it's hard to find niobium. Making liquid O2 with aluminum seems doable, can you make liquid H2 in decent quantities without thermium? Last map I finally went to space after 400 or so turns and after a bunch of rockets, turned out nothing in range of a cargo rocket had niobium.

I have waaaaaay too much niobium and consider it mostly a waste product while trying to get the better space stuff. Where do you use it? I have hydrogen rockets and my plant doesn't use any.

I think the rockets should bring back more useful material. Or have some kind of filter. I'm tired of them returning with only a couple insulated-pipes-worth of material.

It just makes the game drag its feet. It's not fun at all.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Niobium can be used in place of metal ores and comes with a +50% decor bonus, which is better than the decor bonus on any metal ore. Minor, but you can use the stuff to decorate.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Shadow0 posted:

I have waaaaaay too much niobium and consider it mostly a waste product while trying to get the better space stuff. Where do you use it? I have hydrogen rockets and my plant doesn't use any.

I think the rockets should bring back more useful material. Or have some kind of filter. I'm tired of them returning with only a couple insulated-pipes-worth of material.

It just makes the game drag its feet. It's not fun at all.

It is a really good radiant pipe material for petroleum boilers and for some reason I thought I needed it for liquid oxygen and hydrogen. It still does that pretty well, and at that point I'm sealing it up for good so I use it so I don't have to worry about upgrading. Also, I don't like using volcano's for petroleum boilers, I prefer thermium aquatuner ones. As long as I can get tungsten and niobium I'm good to go. It is a pretty good decorative material, and if you have way, way too much it's got a pretty good overheat bonus.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If I'm comfortably to the point where everything is stable and I’m churning out steel and plastic, is there any reason to keep all this bottled up chlorine, or can I plan on just venting it to space?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Run a squeaky puft ranch, swap all your sinks with hand sanitizers. They're faster than sinks, and remove more germs per use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've noticed a weird behavior. When I have hatch ranches, occasionally a shine bug will fly in and get tamed, with the telltale clip on it. At that point, it will starve to death and furthermore overcrowd the ranch. I can't move the shine bug out, because you can't wrangle them.

I've taken to putting up a shine bug feeder in the base that isn't inside a ranch; that way they eat phosphorite and aren't interested in the ranch space. I could just kill all the shine bugs, but I like them and think they pretty up the base to human eyes, not just to the decor score.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You should be able to set up a drop off for shine bugs in some open part of the base and your dupes will wrangle and move it. Make it lower priority than the drop offs for your ranches.

I keep one like that set to accept all critter types, so i can also do catch-and-release for things like pips getting into my farms.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I keep being told that shine bugs are unwranglable.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I keep being told that shine bugs are unwranglable.

There is a way: build a critter dropoff inside your ranch/etc and assign it to only accept hatches(or whatev) and enable the option to auto-wrangle everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wrangle Airborne Critters mod.