Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Does the drip down cooling or infinite gas storage (vent/liquid) glitches work now?

Kinda glad I didn't give up on this game. It's grown on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Drip cooling: no, infinite storage: yes.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
1433 hours in two years. Oh well, back to it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm getting sorta bored. Anybody want to give me a map & challenge to try out?

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Heads up. Do never let water into the oil biome.

This includes melting ice.

It will ruin your map and you will have a bad time.

How so? I've let everything into the oil biome and had no issues keeping the oil level high enough for extraction. Even on maps where magma penetration heated it well over boiling.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are the hamster wheels to skill up dupes? And what are you doing with the starter biome?

It's pretty standard to make new dupes run on wheels to skill up athletics and gain levels (for skill points). I normally make em run til they at least have suit wearing, usually longer.

Re: starter biome, I usually just destroy the map and dig everything out.

Ambaire posted:

I see at least 5 barbecue on the floor by the mess tables. Does that ever become a problem?

By the way, that base is impressive.

Naw, I have a container underwater that holds rot piles & polluted dirt. You can stick a sweepy in a side room or use the door trick that was posted. That particular build runs on positive pressure so they polluted oxygen will eventually get flushed out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

insta posted:

Pick a badlands map with no water geysers. Steam vents ok.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Pick a badlands map with no water geysers. Steam vents ok.

I actually like that as a challenge. I like badlands. Any seed suggestions?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I just use the toolsnotincluded site. It may be tough if not impossible to find a map without water geysers, but you don’t have to use them.

(Obviously glaciers will kill the challenge).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think 2 steam vents are mandatory on every map, but past that you can seed search. You're very limited by the number seeds that have actually been uploaded though, which is a lot in most cases but not terribly many when you've set the parameters very specifically.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

insta posted:

Try the Minibase mod. It makes you play very differently.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'm really glad I didn't give up on this game. I'm starting to understand how to take advantage of everything on the map which is different than how I played in EA.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a way to draw ladders in straight lines without having to go back and correct errant placements?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Hold down the mouse and use the arrow keys.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Heffer posted:

Is there a way to draw ladders in straight lines without having to go back and correct errant placements?

Veteran view vs novice view makes this question interesting.

Sillybones' answer works.

But at the same time I realize I would almost never want to draw ladders in straight lines, because that's such a bad idea in so many conditions.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Heffer posted:

Shift will lock a direction in, while dragging.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

endlessmonotony posted:

But at the same time I realize I would almost never want to draw ladders in straight lines, because that's such a bad idea in so many conditions.
How come?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If dupes change their current work that has them holding something, whether from a schedule change or by the player telling them to move elsewhere, they drop the item they were carrying. Now imagine what happens when they are at the top of a ladder near the surface that goes all the way down to the oil biome. It's not bad, more occasionally inconvenient.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sage Grimm posted:

If dupes change their current work that has them holding something, whether from a schedule change or by the player telling them to move elsewhere, they drop the item they were carrying. Now imagine what happens when they are at the top of a ladder near the surface that goes all the way down to the oil biome. It's not bad, more occasionally inconvenient.

Oh it's real bad when it comes to dupes passing out in a suffocating layer... or trying to pick up something from one of those.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

The mod that disables this is a necessity imo

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I haven’t done much space stuff. Do you guys do anything special to keep dupes from burning by carrying in the 175 degree metal that drops on the surface, or does it not matter?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Doesn't matter, though my dupes were in atmosuits the entire time they were carrying it.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I feel like the recent seed % chance bugfix has made the early game easier if you use mealwood. I just started a new map and got up to 12 dups by taking a new dup every time the printer offered one, and it's been pretty easy so far. Like I said I've taken a dup every time and I've always been able to have 5 mealwood planted per dup. I never really had to dip into muckroot. I've got 90k calories of the stuff laying around.

Edit: on cycle 30, about to get my 13th dup

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 13, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oops I can’t read.

Edit: once you scan all the planets, can you block line of sight for the telescope?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 13, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Block it nothing, dismantle it so you can pave over with another rocket launch pad or solar panel.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You still need one somewhere to select planets though, right? I sort of remember seeing that in a Francis John video.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nope, you're right, it enables the Starmap that would otherwise be locked, keeping you from pointing rockets towards destinations. I had to go back to check one of my later asteroids; I do have one built but disconnected from power and oxygen.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Han Nehi posted:

I feel like the recent seed % chance bugfix has made the early game easier if you use mealwood. I just started a new map and got up to 12 dups by taking a new dup every time the printer offered one, and it's been pretty easy so far. Like I said I've taken a dup every time and I've always been able to have 5 mealwood planted per dup. I never really had to dip into muckroot. I've got 90k calories of the stuff laying around.

Edit: on cycle 30, about to get my 13th dup

Just make sure to keep a very close eye on your dirt supply.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Radio posted:

How so? I've let everything into the oil biome and had no issues keeping the oil level high enough for extraction. Even on maps where magma penetration heated it well over boiling.

Might be my hardware but a decent sized base and storm clouds of steam that start to take over the map, boiling and cooling over and over is just such a pain.

1 block of water or ice is what 500kg? A standard gas tile is 1 so each 1 block as a liquid fills up 500 times as a gas.

Just melted my performance.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My last map had a glacier spawn in the oil biome and flash to steam. Pumping that to a condensation chamber was going to take thousands of cycles easily.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

My last map had a glacier spawn in the oil biome and flash to steam. Pumping that to a condensation chamber was going to take thousands of cycles easily.

Yep. Once you have high density gasses the reality is it’s staying there for a long time, there’s no effective way to relocate it without making a big, complicated tile passage that’s likely not possible in most cases anyway. Current pumps just don’t have the throughput. This was the driving reason behind my most recent mega base restarts; once you set up infinite gas storage there’s not a whole lot of opportunity to move it at 3000kg/t.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I recently started playing this. It seems fun so far, but very stressful, especially now while i'm overwhelmed with all this crap I'm semi-randomly researching

Do colonies ever approach something like stability? I feel like I'm always a few cycles from disaster if I miss something in one of these million windows or dozen overlays

It seems like every resource in this game eventually converts to another resource, or can be filtered so the crappy stuff I don't want is a gas instead of a liquid, or whatever. Before I can just huck poo poo into the infinite void of space, is there any way to trash or destroy garbage or do I just have to keep storing it?

(I had the same problem with nuclear power in Satisfactory: there was literally nothing you could do to get rid of waste except store it somewhere out of the way. That sort of mechanic intrinsically bugs the hell out of me for some reason)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 21, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I recently started playing this. It seems fun so far, but very stressful, especially now while i'm overwhelmed with all this crap I'm semi-randomly researching

Do colonies ever approach something like stability? I feel like I'm always a few cycles from disaster if I miss something in one of these million windows or dozen overlays

It seems like every resource in this game eventually converts to another resource, or can be filtered so the crappy stuff I don't want is a gas instead of a liquid, or whatever. Before I can just huck poo poo into the infinite void of space, is there any way to trash or destroy garbage or do I just have to keep storing it?

(I had the same problem with nuclear power in Satisfactory: there was literally nothing you could do to get rid of waste except store it somewhere out of the way. That sort of mechanic intrinsically bugs the hell out of me for some reason)

Colonies can eventually be made perfectly stable, and even early on you can get to a point where your main oxygen/food/etc. resources will not run out for a good few hundred cycles.

Just about every resource can be recycled or used in some way. Stone for instance, besides being used to build things, can be fed to hatches in ranches to get food and coal, which can help a lot with early power. I can't think of much of anything that I would intentionally want to destroy, with the exception of excess CO2 (though even that can be fed to slicksters for food, or used to convert water into polluted water to turn filtration medium (sand/regolith) into clay to make ceramics...).

It's worth noting that a lot of people eventually condense their storage by setting up the storage units that drop their contents on the ground, setting them to sweep only, and then sweeping everything into one spot. You can have an infinite amount of stuff on the ground at once, and as long as your dupes don't walk too close to it, they won't be upset by how ugly it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so a highly compressed landfill :v:

Thanks, works for me. I was in fact thinking mainly of CO2 - it's not a threat in my base at all yet, I'm only on cycle 6, but it's definitely on the rise. Guess I should prioritize cleaning that over farming; I'm on that easy-going preset difficulty, so my dupes are barely eating anyway

(e) I'm also wondering what to do in the short term with the poo-dirt when I replace the outhouses. I don't want to build a compost heap, they're hot and smelly and I don't really have a place for one that won't just get poo-dirt everywhere from hauling (or open my dupes to being able to leave my bathroom without washing, gross)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 21, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hatch farming lasts a long time but is only... metastable? I did eventually start running out of rock even with a few active volcanoes. The only food sources I can think of that really last forever are Slicksters (good luck on Rime) and Shove Voles.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, works for me. I was in fact thinking mainly of CO2 - it's not a threat in my base at all yet, I'm only on cycle 6, but it's definitely on the rise. Guess I should prioritize cleaning that over farming; I'm on that easy-going preset difficulty, so my dupes are barely eating anyway

Just an FYI you will go through about 3 level of "panic flail" when building a colony.

The first 15-20 cycles you are living entirely off the starting resources (oxylite, nutrient bars, muckroot) while you get low-tech solutions stood up (algae distillers, mealwood farms). You must get research started and a few basics researched immediately. After this, you will enter "the lull", where everybody gets complacent. You'll start to dig out the map, and you'll have 100+ tons of algae, and 300+ tons of dirt. "This will last forever!" you say to yourself.

It does not last forever. It's cycle 300, and you get an "insufficient oxygen generation" warning. You look, and you see 0T of algae. You have not been researching the things for sustainable oxygen production, and now you have about 3 cycles of breathable air left. If you're an inexperienced player, the colony probably dies. Take your L, and start a new one with your knowledge.

After you have sustainable oxygen (electrolysers fed directly from some vents, without using an existing pool of water), your next hurdle will be sustainable food. My personal preference is petroleum boiler + slickster ranching, but you can also pip-plant wild plants. Mushrooms will last a few hundred cycles, stone hatches will last several hundred cycles, but they do eventually run out. If you are playing a map to the tear, you'll likely be fine on both. I consider a map "beaten" if I can leave it for however long I want and nothing gets worse.

The thing that will sneak up on you long-term for sustainability is usually filtration medium, or some "gentle" bleed of heat. Eventually your sand runs out, but by then you've cracked into space. Dupes will happily grab boiling regolith while you're not looking, and explode your water sieves. I solved this problem on my last base by enclosing the sieves in a room with no access, and feeding them entirely with sweeper arms / conveyors. The room had copper tile floor (since I had a copper volcano), with chilling pipes running through it. The floor had a thin layer (5kg) of salt water on it to stop offgassing of the polluted dirt that got dropped, and the same sweeper arm would load it up and drop it directly into my pokeshell starvation ranch. The conveyor loader only accepted sand, so that was all that could go through. My rock crusher was set to crush all igneous rock, and one of my volcanoes was set up to cool its output rock down (via steam room) so it could be crushed. I had a sustainable source of filtration medium that never allowed dupes to grab regolith for it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Hatch farming lasts a long time but is only... metastable? I did eventually start running out of rock even with a few active volcanoes. The only food sources I can think of that really last forever are Slicksters (good luck on Rime) and Shove Voles.

I legitimately think the only way you can have fully sustainable hatch farming is with a regolith melter. You can burn the coal for your base power, sieve the CO2, and then feed that polluted dirt to sage hatches :v

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ciaphas posted:

(e) I'm also wondering what to do in the short term with the poo-dirt when I replace the outhouses. I don't want to build a compost heap, they're hot and smelly and I don't really have a place for one that won't just get poo-dirt everywhere from hauling (or open my dupes to being able to leave my bathroom without washing, gross)

Dig out a 3w x 2h room, put a storage bin at the far end, and two deodorizers between it and the door. Toss the p.dirt in the bin and just let it sublimate.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Poo-dirt turns into polluted oxygen, so I usually just store it in a bin next to a deodorizer. Once you transition into proper toilets, the only polluted dirt you get is from filtering out the polluted water, and you can basically just shove it into that same bin and be fine.

I wouldn't worry about CO2 yet; you can just dig a deeper pit below your base to let it collect down there. At cycle 6 you really need to make sure you have oxygen production (algae deoxidizers) and food production (mealwood) more or less set up while you core out area for your eventual base and start getting research done (you find muckroot as you dig, which helps to keep your food stores up in the early game).

Just keep in mind that you will run out of algae, and while you can get more by going into slime biomes, you'll eventually want to switch over to electrolyzers. That being said, you need water for research as well, so you need to make sure you have enough water...

Mealwood works decently well early game, but you do want to transition to something else, and you need to keep an eye on your dirt supply. You will eventually run out of dirt if you're not careful (you've got probably ~100-200 cycles before this is a big problem). Most other plants and other food options take water, so keep that in mind if you decide to swap over to them.

Ranching takes some time investment, but you can get your hands on some hatches and feed them sedimentary rock to make stone hatches, which then can eat more types of rock and turn them into food and coal for you.

Shumagorath posted:

And yeah, this is why I mentioned the hundreds of cycles thing - hatches eat huge amounts of rock (140kg/day, making 70kg/day of coal). You'll start running out of rock eventually, but you can find rock basically everywhere, so it's not that big a deal for a very long time. By the time running out of rock is a concern, you're at the point where you can transition to slicksters, shove voles, or other critters. You can also start doing fun stuff with magma and igneous rock to get large quantities of it to feed to hatches.

The game really is all about dealing with a very slow moving trainwreck. If you've got a problem, it's because you didn't deal with a problem from 50 cycles ago, or you relied to heavily on a finite resource and didn't either transition out of it or figure out how to get more of it. You'll lose a few colonies, but you learn from the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Dig out a 3w x 2h room, put a storage bin at the far end, and two deodorizers between it and the door. Toss the p.dirt in the bin and just let it sublimate.

That'd be where polluted O2 comes from, then - didn't realize off-gassing was even a thing . I think I need to spend some more time reading all those information panes when I select stuff like that, because I get the feeling there's a lot more basic mechanics I'm unaware of than that :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2020