Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Han Nehi posted:

Interesting, the latest testing branch update adds a durability system for atmo suits. I think I'd be ok with this, but only if they rework how atmo suits work so that we can automate replacing suits or making new ones.

This doesn't sound half bad but I didn't pick up the dlc yet. The last base I did I only used atmo suits where they were needed and it all worked out fine. I kinda prefer it instead of having all the dupes in atmo suits 21/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I can't figure out why my dupes aren't delivering to one of my bottle emptiers. I've got a bottle emptier that is set to accept crude oil, sweep only is turned off. I've got a pitcher pump sitting in a lake of crude in the oil biome. The crude lake has small amounts of naphtha and petroleum on top, basically a sheen. Both the emptier and the pump are accessible to dupes; they're a few hundred tiles apart vertically. The "Errands" page for the bottle emptier says it gives a Store errand, but has "No pending deliveries" listed for each dupe. I have at least one dupe with Store as the highest priority errand, and also at least one dupe with Supply as the highest priority errand. The bottle emptier is set to priority 9.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Make sure you’ve enabled “enable auto bottle” on your emptier. It’s the button on the top right when you click the emptier.

Tenzarin posted:

This doesn't sound half bad but I didn't pick up the dlc yet. The last base I did I only used atmo suits where they were needed and it all worked out fine. I kinda prefer it instead of having all the dupes in atmo suits 21/7.
The suit forge has new recipes now, for something like Repair Suit - Copper, that requires a broken copper suit and some reed fiber. You can set that to infinite, and I guess it’s sort of automated.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Francis John's latest had a dupe drop a big ball of ice into magma because dinner was called as they were passing over a pitcher pump. How hard would it be to change the scheduler so that dupes complete their current task before rushing off to a shift change, or rather have Klei said it's something they'll address?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Make sure you’ve enabled “enable auto bottle” on your emptier. It’s the button on the top right when you click the emptier.

:downs: I've been banging my head against this for way too long and of course it's the most obvious thing that I overlooked.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shumagorath posted:

Francis John's latest had a dupe drop a big ball of ice into magma because dinner was called as they were passing over a pitcher pump. How hard would it be to change the scheduler so that dupes complete their current task before rushing off to a shift change, or rather have Klei said it's something they'll address?

I think there's a mod for it, but as it stands it's just a thing that happens. It's on the player to dupe-proof their base to the best of their ability. Granted, there's always a new and exciting way for dupes to screw up, so it's a constantly evolving process.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Shumagorath posted:

Why change perfection? I assume the resulting sauna was very pleasant.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There’s a mod that will stop them from dropping things when they’re “called” to meals or the bathroom, but it has the side effect of all that stuff piling up over time at dinner tables and toilets.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There’s a mod that will stop them from dropping things when they’re “called” to meals or the bathroom, but it has the side effect of all that stuff piling up over time at dinner tables and toilets.
At least that's something Sweepy can kinda solve.

He eventually condenses all the steam back to water or lets it vent off into space.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does anyone have a screenshot of an arbor tree farm that they are happy with? Doesn't seem like it needs to be super complicated if I've got enough pwater on hand to grow domesticated arbor trees, but just wondering if there's something non-obvious I should make sure to do.

Is there a better way than arbor trees --> ethanol to produce large amounts of polluted dirt? I want to start ranching pokeshells for lime but have no polluted dirt.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I always assumed it was done on purpose. The whole game seems designed around "How could this be more annoying?"

They still haven't even fixed the lead texture, so I wouldn't hold my breath on them fixing any bugs anyway.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

At least that's something Sweepy can kinda solve.

Just wait until a dupe drops barely solidified ingeous rock inside your nice climate controlled living area. There's some things even sweepy can't solve.

Also here's the mod for anyone wondering, looks like it's base game only so far.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

AotC posted:

Just wait until a dupe drops barely solidified ingeous rock inside your nice climate controlled living area. There's some things even sweepy can't solve.

And this is why I always build extra capacity into my cooling loops.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Bold Robot posted:

Does anyone have a screenshot of an arbor tree farm that they are happy with? Doesn't seem like it needs to be super complicated if I've got enough pwater on hand to grow domesticated arbor trees, but just wondering if there's something non-obvious I should make sure to do.

Is there a better way than arbor trees --> ethanol to produce large amounts of polluted dirt? I want to start ranching pokeshells for lime but have no polluted dirt.

I usually build one of these to make pdirt:
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/116251-arbor-tree-automatic-harvest-farm/

Zero dupe labor once it’s up, just need to make sure you have a single gas environment so random pO2/CO2 bubbles don’t break the falls. If you run the floatation mod you’ll need to adjust to pick up branches on every floor, not just the bottom one.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I finally did it.

I was so frustrated by the lead texture and material overlay color that I made a mod to fix it:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2406184716

I also fixed the planets while I was at it, though I think I'm the only one who still plays vanilla:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2406186382

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Shadow0 posted:

I finally did it.

I was so frustrated by the lead texture and material overlay color that I made a mod to fix it:

I had no idea how much I needed this mod -- thanks!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

I finally did it.

I also fixed the planets while I was at it, though I think I'm the only one who still plays vanilla:

Well, that was quick:
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/127460-game-update-453479/

ZekeNY posted:

I had no idea how much I needed this mod -- thanks!

You're welcome! I don't know how people were able to stand the old textures, haha.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Shadow0 posted:

I finally did it.

You know, the lead texture/color never bothered me before, but now that I've seen this I can never go back. Thanks!

Edit: lol did the devs see your mod trending and fix it

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 26, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Awesome work on that lead mod Shadow.

Are the radiation systems live yet? I haven't watched anything new from Francis John since he conquered the niobium planet.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Shadow0 posted:

I finally did it.

king poo poo

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Shumagorath posted:

Awesome work on that lead mod Shadow.

Are the radiation systems live yet? I haven't watched anything new from Francis John since he conquered the niobium planet.

Not in the stable build. Some of it is there if you opt in to the testing branch, but I've heard it's pretty buggy right now.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Now that the DLC lets you feed pacu using seeds, it's actually sustainable to keep some pacu fed. So I've been looking at some numbers and I guess I always overlooked omelettes. They only give you 4 points of morale, but goddamn they produce a ton of calories. If I did the numbers right, in perfect conditions 10 fed pacus can feed 8.5 dups cooked fish, or 29 (!) dups omelettes. Those 10 pacu will eat a miniscule 3 seeds per cycle. Those numbers do account for the 20% of their lifespan that pacu spend as babies, and the eggs I have to use to replace pacu that die of old age.

I was planning on farming balm lilies for the seeds, (at my farmer's 63% seed chance I figured 60 balm lilies would feed the 10 pacu) but my farmer has already collected over 800 grubfruit seeds, so I'm not going to bother. Now that the farming skill increases the seed drop chance, seeds are a non-issue.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been working on my steam backlog and im finally at this game and it seems kind of overwhelming to start with. i have 8 duplicants and i've researched a lot of stuff but i feel like i haven't expanded very much and don't really know what to do with half the systems.

my base is slowly filling with poo gas & farts and my power grid is overloading. death soon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive been working on my steam backlog and im finally at this game and it seems kind of overwhelming to start with. i have 8 duplicants and i've researched a lot of stuff but i feel like i haven't expanded very much and don't really know what to do with half the systems.

my base is slowly filling with poo gas & farts and my power grid is overloading. death soon.

Ayup, that's ONI.

If you know your (real world) plumbing you can set up S-bends for trapping gases, air pumps or purifiers to clean certain zones, use the S-bends to stop items from dropping halfway down the asteroid when dupes start coughing while carrying them, and explore out so you can find food from native plants.

That's the non-spoiler version on getting started.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wires can only support so much power, so you sometimes need multiple grids (the description of the wire tells you how much). Deodorizers can help out with the poo gas issue (again, building description talks about eating PO2 and emitting O2). Farts are another problem entirely. There's probably something you can do about natural gas in there somewhere.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

At the start you'll think of the machines as a whole machine. By the end you'll start thinking of the machines as components in a bigger gadget.

Anyways, the game is all about setting up automation. Why have a dupe do a thing if you can have a machine do it instead? Why have a dupe run on a treadmill when you can set up a generator or two to fill those batteries? Even better if they're attached to a switch that you, the player, can turn on/off as needed to save power. Even more better if the generators are attached to Advanced Batteries that can output a logic signal depending on how full they are.

Why use dupes to haul fluids or gasses from point A to point B when a pump can do it for them?

Why use dupes to haul solids from point A to point B when a conveyor rail can do it for them?*

Oh also it's a game about keeping e.coli out of the food.

*Require dupe with mechatronics skill but sooooo worth it.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Yeah like others have said, failed bases are part of the ONI learning curve. Every time you'll learn a little more.

Also, the DLC radiation update dropped: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/457140/view/4859919684517930748

Edit: argh

quote:

Dupes can no longer sanitize a suit using a sink or wash basin

If your dups are in suits when they use the bathroom, they'll ignore the sinks and walk right out with germs all over them :/

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 12, 2021

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I haven't played in ages and decided to restart recently but one of the simplest solutions to the weird gas problem is just build more oxygen generation of whatever kind. If you're digging up or down, more oxygen pushes the other gasses out there. New players probably build too little oxygen generation and if they build too much it automatically slows itself down when the pressure is too high.

Slightly more advanced is that only one gas or liquid can fit in a single block. Sticking those blocks which allow air passage in your ladder shafts or in the floors or ceilings of big rooms helps gasses get out of the center of your base and towards the edges. The basic doors act like this horizontally.

When you actually feel like dealing with the problem after that, stick a carbon skimmer on the bottom of your base. It takes in water and spits out polluted water so it's a glorified electric toilet. That deals with the CO2 that's probably the biggest problem in practice. Places where there's polluted oxygen you can stick Deodorizers and you've dealt with the second biggest problem.

You can put Gas Pumps where things seem to accumulate after that. They pump into Gas Pipes that can be vented out elsewhere and feed a larger system of devices to deal with stuff. If you have absolutely no idea what to do with a gas, filter it out with a Gas Filter and then stick it into a Gas Reservoir. By the time the reservoir fills you'll be bored with the game or have some idea what to do with it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I haven't played in ages and decided to restart recently but one of the simplest solutions to the weird gas problem is just build more oxygen generation of whatever kind. If you're digging up or down, more oxygen pushes the other gasses out there. New players probably build too little oxygen generation and if they build too much it automatically slows itself down when the pressure is too high.

Slightly more advanced is that only one gas or liquid can fit in a single block. Sticking those blocks which allow air passage in your ladder shafts or in the floors or ceilings of big rooms helps gasses get out of the center of your base and towards the edges. The basic doors act like this horizontally.

When you actually feel like dealing with the problem after that, stick a carbon skimmer on the bottom of your base. It takes in water and spits out polluted water so it's a glorified electric toilet. That deals with the CO2 that's probably the biggest problem in practice. Places where there's polluted oxygen you can stick Deodorizers and you've dealt with the second biggest problem.

You can put Gas Pumps where things seem to accumulate after that. They pump into Gas Pipes that can be vented out elsewhere and feed a larger system of devices to deal with stuff. If you have absolutely no idea what to do with a gas, filter it out with a Gas Filter and then stick it into a Gas Reservoir. By the time the reservoir fills you'll be bored with the game or have some idea what to do with it.

Uhh... no?

Are you trolling? This seems like trolling to make someone else have a bad time by maximizing the problems they're about to create for themselves.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
That's a totally valid strategy and easily works for like a thousand cycles. Air mesh tiles for your main base floor really help spread oxygen, and if you keep a few doors to the "outside" even before suits the gases will naturally sort with oxygen in the middle and the other products at top or bottom (burn hydrogen at the top, skim CO2 at the bottom).

By the time this doesn't scale you can just use automation pipe filters and vent whatever you want to space.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's far from it if you look at it from the perspective of someone new who hasn't discovered all the building blocks yet.

Once you realize you can just toss an electrolyzer on a geyser, burn the hydrogen for power and to maybe cool the air, it works fine, though in that case generally I have no need to skim the CO2 I just let it fall down until I have access to space. Even then you probably should isolate the main base unless you know you're moving fast enough. Using algae to pressurize the map leads you to running out if you're not going directly for a geyser. I don't really use reservoirs either, except for hydrogen, because the rest aren't really that worth saving up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay I guess, I just don't they're trolling and I don't think it's a bad strategy. It was certainly obvious to me as a newbie in my first couple playthroughs that the gases just layer by looking at the materials overlay, and the game tells you what air mesh tiles do.

Edit: Maybe the only newbie trap is filters needing a lot of power pre-automation but that's part of the designed flow of the game, teaching you not to be power greedy unless you have a lot of sources.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I stated at the start that I'm coming from a perspective that's dated to put it nicely. I think that the newbie traps hit long after the tools that get the player out of the trap appear. Long term the biggest problem is temperature and that requires a systematic approach regardless. In the meantime, punting until you get those skills and can conceive what a general purpose gas handling system for your base looks like works well enough to decide if you like the game.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Less Fat Luke posted:

Okay I guess, I just don't they're trolling and I don't think it's a bad strategy. It was certainly obvious to me as a newbie in my first couple playthroughs that the gases just layer by looking at the materials overlay, and the game tells you what air mesh tiles do.

Edit: Maybe the only newbie trap is filters needing a lot of power pre-automation but that's part of the designed flow of the game, teaching you not to be power greedy unless you have a lot of sources.

The mesh tiles are fine, it's the "you're going to run out of resources and choke and not necessarily in that order" that's the problem.

Solving them in time requires exploring the map early. If you follow that advice and just try to get your base stable, you die.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Am I reading the radbolt part of the patch notes correctly and it's meant to send power between planetoids? I'm kinda sad they don't use fluid heat exchange for the nuclear reactors but I guess everything else in the game is already about that.

Too bad I won't be playing for at least another month, but I'm excited to see the Francis John series.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Am I reading the radbolt part of the patch notes correctly and it's meant to send power between planetoids? I'm kinda sad they don't use fluid heat exchange for the nuclear reactors but I guess everything else in the game is already about that.

Too bad I won't be playing for at least another month, but I'm excited to see the Francis John series.

I think the radbolts are currently only for nuclear research? That or a very elaborate way of damaging critters/duplicants/other.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love that the nuclear updates include Corium as a material. Something that literally doesn't exist unless poo poo went horribly wrong.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a good guide anywhere of how to get started in this game? i feel like im just loving up and my entire base is becoming a rats nest of cables and pipes and vents

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

is there a good guide anywhere of how to get started in this game? i feel like im just loving up and my entire base is becoming a rats nest of cables and pipes and vents

For the Vanilla (non DLC game), Francis John has a decent start guide: https://youtu.be/w3Cq013hkNo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

loving up your first several bases very badly and feeling like you're constantly putting out fires is part of the intended progression in this game, don't worry too much about it