Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm pretty surprised no one has made a mod that just highlights the tile/cell of interest it in a different color on build mode. It seems low effort enough that someone would have knocked it out, but there's probably some esoteric reason why that's not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It would cover up the power icon. Cell of interest is always (?) where the power icon is. This is also where your mouse cursor is when building it.

The more interesting thing to have would be where outputs spit out. Would really help me not have a puddle of polluted water next to my generators at all times.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After having played this a fair amount back in the pre release days and sucking I've come back to this recently and thanks to francis johns tutorials I'm having far greater success in getting things done and having my colony survive. I did mess up my spom slightly in that I redirected some of the additional hydrogen to a pair of generators but that causes it to drain the storage tank out and then the spom has to be run off the grid. Wondering if running the output on the storage back into the input with a clock sensor might make things less problematic and keep the spom running by itself

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I tend to run half-Rodriguez SPOMs (2 electrolyzers, 4 oxygen pumps, 1 hydrogen pump, 2 hydrogen generators) and I find just having the hydrogen go through a bridge to feed the generators first, and excess going to a tank to burn off wherever works fine. In that the SPOM never runs out of power once it’s going (requires a little extra oomph to start up and get stable).

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm half-assing my oxygen production this run. Open air electrolyzer with a gas pump on the ceiling that I manually activate with a switch whenever I need some hydrogen power.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I recently learned how to do mechanical filters and I feel like they're a really nice alternative to the usual SPOM setup because you tend to have more pumps than you need in a SPOM - you need one to collect the hydrogen and then at least two per electrolyzer to collect the oxygen from each, which won't quite be running at full capacity but only running one means the electrolyzers will overpressure and you won't get maximum efficiency out of them. Using mechanical filters with this setup saves you a pump since you can just use two pumps per electrolyzer without the extra for the hydrogen and all the gases will get sorted out in the pipes (if you had a lot of electroyzers in one room they could overwhelm the filters' throughput but you'd need like, 8). The only downside really is that it takes a little bit of extra setup to prime everything but it's not really much more than you'd have to do before vaccuuming out a SPOM room anyway. It's also very compact because you don't really need to worry about leaving the space for the physical separation of gases and you can just pump everything out of the room as it's generated rather than needing to maintain a minimum pressure to avoid things going into the wrong pipes.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
A lot of the moonlet starts don't give you much if any clay for ceramic, so I've been doing polluted water offgassing. (Pwater tank... then a row of airflow tiles, then a row of mesh tiles (with a little clean water inside them) and then deodorizers on top, they can reach over the water to get the po2). In addition to oxygen it converts an obscene amount of sand to clay. But since there's no hydrogen you don't get any free power out of them. But they will build up pressure basically infinitely if you let them, so it'll pop eardrums easily.

I saw this build that uses bead pumps to regulate the flow of high pressure oxygen to a low pressure outlet, without pumps or power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqlD8o8Yfc8 I might try that next time I do off gassing for oxygen, to powerlessly vent in the middle of the base, and then pump a little o2 to the suit docks and edge of the base.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Mechanical filters are 100% the way to go, I use them in so, so many places. For example, Every single rocket has one to separate out the co2.

I also tend to avoid infinite storage because they can be a pita to make but a 4x3 hydrogen room with two gas pumps and a high pressure gas vent with ~10-20kg of liquid on the floor is the easiest and laziest thing you need to to attach to your SPOM (after going through a mechanical filter of course).

There are a few things I feel are mandatory in ONI and that's one of them. You can then send to a few hydrogen generators if you feel like it, or stockpile it for rockets. I also found that power isn't as big of a deal in the DLC if you can get a research reactor up. I 100% stole Francis John's design and it works great. I'm currently in the middle of an all-achievements run, here's a quick album: https://imgur.com/a/rj8eZbH

My SPOM setup, with outputs going through the water to stabilize the temperature: (ignore the uranium doors, that was to address an... incident in my purification setup)

Finding good rocket setups was hard; I didn't super like the ones I found online. I wish I had saved a screenshot of my explorer rocket setup, I managed to wedge a full size enclosed telescope in it. It was very similar to the drillcone setup only the whole left side sunbathing area was replaced with the telescope and I think the carpet was one tile down and battery was an algae diffuser at that point. Regardless, it all counted as being in a great hall. The only "heavy machinery" you need to isolate is your atmo pump basically.

All of them use snaking liquid storage for the toilet and oxylite, supplemented with ground oxygen to max out the cabin air and refill exa docks (and filter out the co2). About a quarter of the space is dedicated to allow co2 to build up if needed (on a new planet, typically), plus a great hall + bedroom setup.

This one is for single-user drillcones (note that I pull the ores out of storage to make more space and that all the stuff for export/import is near the door). I'm still messing around with this, you can sub a small pump in and put the carbon dioxide air sensor (shown deconstructed) next to the pump, connected to an AND with the switch. Note the double-bridge into the filter which minimizes losses of oxygen, not a ton of people do that but it helps.

This one is for the 3 man explorer crew to make new rocket platforms and haul back stuff. In particular, you can see I just visited the dust planet and am bringing back a bunch of shove-voles. My dupes are not thrilled. The ductwork is an absolute mess, but I really wanted to squeeze that vent in and it needed a bridge to force priority before the exo docks AND could only go one of three tiles.

Most people develop a similar hydrogen+oxygen setup for rockets, here's mine, slightly improved on from my own previous designs. It's connected to a latch and liquid detect on the return that triggers the pumps to turn off (returning liquid indicates rockets are full). In a previous game it was connected to rockets that would autolaunch and stuff, but right now I haven't set that up - it's manual.

Preheaters are great, you should use them basically everywhere and my preheater design is different than ones I've found online which allows you to tile steam engines directly next to each other because they only take 5 spaces, same as the steam engine, so check that out if you're interested.

Power is largely a reactor. This will look familiar if you're watching Francis John's current series. YOINK!

Top of main base is a bit of a mess as it always seems to become. That geyser was a PITA and below that was my water storage for a long time before I built the dedicated SPOM and storage tank above, which is why it looks weird. Also I tried vertical ranches this time which worked pretty good honestly - the pneumatic doors double as stairs to keep them 5 tiles wide. Everything with the drecos was a mistake and I wedged it all in there, barely working. Every time that door opens some of the hydrogen escapes and the glossy farm is perpetually overheating.

Bottom of main base is pretty typical, my claim to fame here is the bathroom+greathall+recroom idea that I tried in a previous base and refined for this one. For most of the early game it fits perfectly around the gate, on the left side you make a standard co2 storage pit and dip into the rec room so it becomes only 2 tiles tall, you can stick a phone or small statue there whatever. But once you unlock glass it really comes alive because you can stack decor; that egg pedestal reaches all the way to the bathroom and all your statues and great hall that's dripping with decor plays double-duty for bathroom AND recroom breaks. It's great.

Honorable mention to my single solid storage tile, frozen food storage that I built way later than I should have, and of course the nature reserve everyone walks through. Power room used to be on the left in that empty space and there used to be refinement to the right of the bathroom.

With glass floors, you can pile on the decor!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 9, 2022

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I myself never liked the mechanical filters. I use the "hydra" electrolyzer setup though, so no gas filtering with infinite capacity. Probably a more complicated way of doing things, but sometimes you just get into design habits?

With rockets I just put the oxygen vent on the bottom row. It overwrites the CO2 pockets with oxygen, a lazy but simple solution.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 9, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sometimes it's fun to open an old save and try to figure out what the hell you were trying to accomplish

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Welp that colony fell apart at cycle 316 thanks mostly to my poor planning and not leaving room for things that I should have. I can always start again though and see if I can smash the 500 cycle barrier.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What was the linchpin of the cascading failure?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
For me, it's always power. Something happens (solar panel regolith disaster, crude processing stalls out, cooling failure in steam power) and suddenly no power for O2 setup, filtering, toilets, etc and it just spirals from there

E: has anyone ever made an automation setup that allows you to shut off non-essential services in a power crisis? Maybe just like a pipe element sensor in a petroleum generator line? Or do you just have a huge bank of coal generators ready to go if poo poo hits the fan?

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 10, 2022

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I will generally have tiered power systems. Below 90% only the nuke plant runs. Below 70 and the geothermal kicks on. And so on down to gas then petrol, then coal all the way down at like 20. That doesn't disable high power systems, but it does provide some resilience if your preferred power system goes offline.

This turned out to be really important in my last game because I was trying to optimize my uranium usage, but the nuke plant scaled poorly at low fuel levels, so the base ran on dirtier power while I figured that out. I wonder if they ever changed that...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I run chiefly off hydrogen but will usually have coal or natgas ready to kick on for high loads or indeed, if the hydro gets gummed up. Hydro kicks on at 40% but fossil fuels at like 25, etc

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I don't build any monstrosities, I'm usually running off of overflow SPOM hydrogen, supplemented with incidental steam and solar.

Then I get a petroleum boiler going and I can divert the hydrogen to liquid hydrogen production and still have power to spare.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah it was a cascading power failure caused by my reliance on coal which would have been fine provided I’d had enough hatches ranched which i didn’t. This then caused the air system to fill with chlorine gas and the mealwood failed. I also stupidly didn’t have my power system teired on their smart batteries which is something I’ll fix next time around.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

E: has anyone ever made an automation setup that allows you to shut off non-essential services in a power crisis? Maybe just like a pipe element sensor in a petroleum generator line? Or do you just have a huge bank of coal generators ready to go if poo poo hits the fan?

I've run automation ribbons for this before, shutting off the transit tubes and then the recreational buildings as power fails.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I spend way too long powering things with just hamster wheels and batteries, and is probably why I take 800 cycles to really get anywhere

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oh jay posted:

If I don't build any monstrosities, I'm usually running off of overflow SPOM hydrogen, supplemented with incidental steam and solar.

Then I get a petroleum boiler going and I can divert the hydrogen to liquid hydrogen production and still have power to spare.

I don't even mess with SPOMs anymore because I can run so much off the hydrogen that you get from two electrolyzers. It requires some babysitting in the early days but as your base grows it actually gets more reliable as your usage demands more of it (basically O2 or H2 backups become way less frequent). If your water is hot just feed the O2 through some sort of cold box. TAs are good of course but if you put six wheezeworts in a high density H2 atmosphere the will simply obliterate enormous amounts of heat energy for the low price of a little phosphorite every now and then

Dezinus posted:

I spend way too long powering things with just hamster wheels and batteries, and is probably why I take 800 cycles to really get anywhere

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Super Sustainable is an awful grind and not at all worth it :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 10, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Super Sustainable is an awful grind and not at all worth it :v:

My current run I'm doing that unenviable Super Sustainable / Carnivore / Locovore run, just to finally tick it off. Then maybe I'll circle around to the easy ones that I've neglected, like Get a Room.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Trying to get back into this after not having played since before the Spaced Out update. It's very intimidating to try to ease back in!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Dezinus posted:

you are marching through the plateaus of sustainability in a reliable way

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

pokchu posted:

Trying to get back into this after not having played since before the Spaced Out update. It's very intimidating to try to ease back in!

I think I last played it before it left early access so it was a bit of daunting task to get back into. Francis John was super useful though for pointing me in the right direction of getting things running well.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

I knocked that out in my current run due to the amazing power of lava.
And yeah, you can do wonders with half a Rodriquez generating hydrogen. Francis John did one in his super-hard spaced out run, built up in space so the oxygen just floats away (saving 1kW of pumps), and then use that 1kW as a base power supply. Water->H2->Power directly.

For beginners, your priorities should be:
1: get renewable O2 source before algae runs out. (<turn 100)
2: Get better (less temperature sensitive) food than mealwood (< 200) - temp and SOIL will be limits here
Also note that soil is used for research, and is a limited resource, so you can literally eat your way into failure if you don't get off mealwood quick.
Also- you get a LOAD of food from just digging out the starting biome. There's usually at least 100kj calories in muckroot buried around you

3: Build up to getting 2 tonnes of steel and some plastic
4: Get a steam-turbine+AT cooling system - all heat issues are now solved permanently! ]
- having an AETN, cool slush geyser can push this to position 6, BUT they are weak and easily overpowered if you build up fast.
5: Get oil/petrol - upgrade power to multi-kW, sort out power spine. (Petrol boilers are a fun one to try if you have magma!)
5a - MOAR STEEL! You will never have enough.
6: Work on completely renewable food! Bristle blossoms, sleet wheat, shove voles, pips/ethanol/nosh beans.
- Needs active temperature control, but you should be there by now.
7 - Space - Access to the end-game renewable sources of materials - Replace stuff with space materials (coolant, insulation)
8 - Liquid Hydrogen/Oxygen rockets and... ???

If you have Spaced Out, getting into space is considerably easier (no meteors), and there are MANY better medium-term food options (and new water/oxygen pathways too). You could possibly go hydrogen power->solar and skip oil/steel for a while longer if you have cold biomes etc. to help.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 10, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Doing the all-achievement run for me was difficult early less due to super-sustainable and more due to having to rush ranches for food, I absolutely had to load-scum food a number of times and mass-incubate critters because I simply could not get food from the hatches fast enough. Unlike francis john I didn't have pacu in my starting asteroid but I *did* have dreko so was able to get plastics significantly sooner. I also had plenty of aluminum which makes the best radiant pipes and used smooth hatch ranching for refinement even though it wasted a ton of metal it didn't matter, I had lots to spare. My teleporter linked asteroid had algae, lead, fossil and oil so it was great.

Super-sustainable was annoying but honestly not a nearly as massive an issue since I had enough water to run hydrogen generators though I didn't vent the excess into space, I just used it to oxygenate while I hollowed out the asteroid. Having several dupes run on wheels for power to level up athletics helped, having crashed satellites was really convenient as well, as well as being frugal on the tech tree, managing radbolt generation was the most power hungry thing my base had by far. Early bases don't use a ton of non-research related electricity and you can stay low-tech for along time.

The limiting factor for me was steel, even taking every single fossil tile and ranching hatches there's just not enough lime in the world.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've given this game a shot a few times and I consistently bounce off not long after breaking into the swamp, usually due to dumb mistakes like accidentally getting polluted water / food poisoning into my main fresh water cistern and 86ing the colony out of frustration.

What do you guys try to do for initial dupe skills / setup? I try to start with one dupe with some form of digger, one with research and construction, and one with farming /ranching, though I never quite get to the point where the latter comes in to play.

I try to avoid just wiki-ing ideal setups and strategies for buildings and biomes and just try to Kentucky Windage my way through everything, which might be part of my problem too.

How do you deal with sink / toilet water? Do you just dump it back into your polluted water cistern or do you storage tank it and then feed it into like thistle Reed?

Some of the early game oxy stuff like the algae co2 filter seem like it's got lovely returns and kicks out a lot of polluted water before you're ready to deal with it. Am I better off just quick tracking to plumbing plus the co2 scrubber and working the polluted water output into into new infrastructure? How Many days does it take most people to get through their core setup and research to prepare themselves for the bigger biomes? Is there an ideal research order in the initial phase?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 10, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Initial dupes for me are always a dedicated researcher, digger+builder, and then a third that can be a rancher or another digger, and if I feel like a lot of rerolls someone that comes with mechantronics is very convenient. Having an interest in tidy is also convenient since I give every dupe carrying capacity.

The biggest bang low effort thing to deal with co2 is a row of 4-6 mechanical airlocks with the front one attached to a pressure plate connected to an AND and a switch at the very bottom of your base. It will open and close repeatedly, forever, for no cost of power, eating all the co2. If you want to get fancy you can attach a gas sensor so it only activates when it detects co2.

Screw all the other options, they're not nearly as low effort. I use algae distillers for a long, long time but I also keep an eye on my algae, the little tracker on the right side of the screen is real convenient.

My sink+toilet early game is always is closed loop with a single sieve into a water canister that I deconstruct periodically, or a plant, or into my polluted water storage.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Early game I set up a huge p water loop around my whole base to equalize temperature. Directing extra toilet water into there will eat up the pwater for a long time. By the time it's full, I usually have a some thimble reeds set up. You could also store it somewhere for use later in other cooling loops (aquatuners, metal refineries).

These days (DLC), I store all my CO2 in tanks for rockets. In the base game I would just make a big room with a high-pressure vent, seal it off, and use it as storage if CO2 gets too high in the base. Hopefully you can dig up and vent it to space before it fills up to 20kgs per tile.

For research, food and oxygen are obviously priorities (stove / electrolyzer). Then I'd say smart battery & pipe / ventilation techs next. Some automation if you want to do more automated builds. Then, industrial & cooling tech. Beyond that it's mostly whatever you need at the moment.

Dezinus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 10, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
2 diggers and a researcher is my usual starting crew. It’s kind of important to have a rancher by the time I have, say, five dupes though, so if a rancher shows up initially I may grab them.

Toilets I use the closed loop system plus (eventually) a thimble reed or two.

CO2 I usually just keep digging down a bit until I can make smart batteries, then set up a completely closed sieve/carbon skimmer loop fed power by a coal generator. Carbon skimmers, especially early, will gobble up your CO2 quickly, at which point they use close to zero power.

By the way, “natural” polluted water, and the pwater that comes out of the algae distiller, is germ-free. It’s really only your pee you have to worry about.

With enough repetition, I’d say it’s maybe 30-40 days before I do a major push outward. I usually try to have at least two hatch ranches up by then, but I also always build electrolyzer oxygen setups later than I imagine most people do. Basically once I find two algae diffusers don’t quite cut it, I start thinking seriously about building a SPOM.

Every game I’ve played with caustic biomes I end up wishing I’d have built drecko ranches sooner. They take a looong time to start proving stuff in quantity.

The only set-in-stone thing I do research-wise is get the first two farming techs first, so I can build farm tiles quickly. After that it’s kind of situational, e.g. on some maps I may feel I want to get insulated tiles sooner rather than later. With a +7 or +9 researcher to start, I don’t think it matters much, you’ll soon be blowing through research faster than you can build new machines.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 10, 2022

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

DeathSandwich posted:

Is there an ideal research order in the initial phase?

I like to unlock planter pots, smart batteries, and insulated tiles. I think you need advanced research to get that far. Food keeps you alive, insulation blocks the heat from creeping in, and smart batteries are pretty much required to get off the hamster wheel.

I keep CO2 generation low and dig a pit under the base for it to fall in to, which buys a lot of time. Later I hook up a gas pump and dump the CO2 into space. I play on the Spaced Out maps where the starting location isn't so far from space and you don't need any special tech to send dupes there. I don't like any of the CO2 removing buildings, they all take water which I'm stingy with.

If you recycle bathroom water into clean water and feed it back in to the bathroom, polluted water generation slows to a crawl. My current base is on cycle 600 and I still haven't tapped into the polluted water cistern, it just doesn't build up enough to care. Thimble Reeds consume a huge amount of polluted water, like 150 kg per cycle, so feeding a single one will drain the cistern easy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of not using natural pwater, here’s a thing I regularly do that I’d bet makes most people go :stonk::

Consolidate most/all the map pwater into one big pool, and just run a metal refinery off of that as a coolant for a long while.

If you have a large pool, say … 40 by 15 tiles or whatever (edit: wait no, 40 is really long. Let’s say 250-300 grids total) and you take it a little slow, you can refine a lot of metal and probably 20 tons of steel before the water heats up 5 degrees. If you have a cool slush geyser by then, you can go a lot longer dumping in cool slush and draining out the warmer pwater to sieve and electrolyze oxygen.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 10, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've done that a lot too, but I'm finding that a cooling loop means less heat to try and corral later. :v: That being said I totally overran my steam room earlier today and had to pause everything as I aggressively cooled my steam generators

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So do you fully insulated tile your main living area early on then? Before breaking into the swamp?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Insulating the whole base is a common bit of advice, but I don't usually find in necessary. I just throw up an insulated wall if a nearby area is pretty hot (like 35+ degrees C). At most I might just do it for the farm area.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DeathSandwich posted:

So do you fully insulated tile your main living area early on then? Before breaking into the swamp?
Swamp, no. Caustic, yes. Put another way, if the temperature display is yellow, nah. If it’s orange, yeah.

E: unless it’s the wall of the mealwood farm, then I’d probably insulate it just because.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 10, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

DeathSandwich posted:

Base insulation is only necessary in extreme circumstances (magma channels or CSV trickling in heat), for limited areas (farms mostly), or in niche circumstances (you're pushing your luck re: morale and stress and need to stack the deck every way you can)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It takes some extra piping, but I've had good results making my bathroom and my CO2 skimmer part of the same loop.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I insulate my entire base, but I incorporate as much of the existing abyssalite as I can. Insulated tiles take a ton of labor to make so it helps to cut corners where you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
My base is a mess, I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having fun!