Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mod support is going to make this game amazing. It will also probably unleash anime titty cat people because the internet is terrible. Worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i want someone to make a terraria mod so we can have those burrowing giant worms as hostile, farmable creatures

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Riatsala posted:

I've gotten to cycle 33 for the first time, just (cautiously) printed my 6th dupe. I'm making more food than I can eat, my water consumption should last me 150 cycles more until I have to start draining a second natural reservoir(unlikely, I realize, but still, consumption is slow), oxygen production is steady and most importantly no one's poo poo in the water supply. Everyone has showers and real toilets and potted plants for their bedsides.

I also got a wheezewort seed, which I potted near my farm to make sure the ambient temp stays closer to tenable. I'm a little concerned about my coal consumption - I run a single coal generator 50% of the time, and I know that can't last forever if I expand much. I'm thinking of making an airlock complete with wash stations and heading into the swamp biome for the first time. I'm scared because I can see the slimelung germs but I don't know what they do.

Any suggestions on what to head for from here? Any warnings about what's going to kill me next? I'm slightly concerned that I'm eventually going to bake myself.

Slimelung germs grow quickly in polluted water/oxygen and die slowly in everything else. If a dupe catches it (i.e. gets to 0% immunity) they'll be Med-Bed-ridden for a few cycles. Your best protection is using airlocks and deodorizers to clean the bad air and keep it separate from your main base. Most slimelung germs are inhaled, IME, so a wash station isn't much help.

My first forays into neighboring biomes are usually to search for wheezeworts, any geysers that might be useful, and to gather algae and slime. The slime's to fertilize the mushroom farm and to process into more algae using one or more Algae Distillers. The swamp biome also has plenty of water (you'll just need to un-pollute it first).

Coal runs out but you can keep your supply going longer by breeding Hatches. So ranching is another thing you can get into, if you haven't yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sillybones posted:

Coal will run out fast and hard. Hook up a smart battery so it doesn't waste time cycling with nothing to feed. The coal is the real timer for you and if you don't find alternatives it's going to be the breaking point, I think.

+1 to this post, hooking up smart batteries to your generators is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. You'll go from 100% consumption rate to 70% downtime.

Also a good idea to put a smart battery *after* a transformer and hook it into that transformer. It will fill the battery and then turn off the transformer to stop waste runoff.

On an aside, you should be putting most of your power system in a cold biome. The biomes naturally trend towards their designated temperatures, even without all the ice, so throwing your generators in the cold biome will cancel out all their heat. It's expensive at the start but it will pay off in the long run when you don't need to have AC and wheezeworts running continuously. If you want to get spicy you can do your electrolysis in the cold biome and move cool oxygen to your base with insulated pipes as well.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 19, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

And you need coal for steel, which also takes lime that you can get from grinding up eggshell. Plus, you get raw egg, which doesn't need any other ingredients to cook into omelettes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

CuddleCryptid posted:

On an aside, you should be putting most of your power system in a cold biome. The biomes naturally trend towards their designated temperatures, even without all the ice, so throwing your generators in the cold biome will cancel out all their heat. It's expensive at the start but it will pay off in the long run when you don't need to have AC and wheezeworts running continuously. If you want to get spicy you can do your electrolysis in the cold biome and move cool oxygen to your base with insulated pipes as well.

This isn't true, although it's easy to mistake for it working this way. Theres nothing in the cold biome that actually produces cold but wheezeworts and AETNs, the rest is just the latent cold in all the material in the area, insulated in by the abyssalite. While there is an absolute shitload of cold mass there, it is finite, and building big heat producing things there can have problems over the long term, especially as you scale it all up. For early game learning the cold biome is totally workable like this, but if you plan to play long games, building your own cooling solutions becomes a lot more neccesary, to the point it's easier to just do it right from the start since rebuilding big essential systems like gas management or power distribution after you're established can become a giant pain in the rear end. This, and wheezeworts in a proper hydrogen cooling loop are exceptionally more effective because the gas/plant interaction is key to how they function.

This is evident if you strip mine the entire map eventually, the biomes will all balance out. The neat thing is that the cold biomes have enough cold mass to equalize the entire asteroid temperature to a very temperate, livable climate, so long as you insulate from the oil biome.

A very old screenshot but the best quick example I have of this in practice:

Also, here's how strong wheezeworts in a proper loop can be, even vs metal/glass refining. Wheezeworts at least have a floor to how cold they go, AETNs do not (actually they might when they're liquefying the hydrogen intake pipe, but I haven't tried that.)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's always supposed to be 2 AETNs on a map, right? My gripe is when they are really far away, since that means a lot of ductwork to get everything there and back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My mistake then, I had read that several places and it takes so long to heat the abyssalite that it seemed like a wash. I guess I wasted my time, but whatever.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

CuddleCryptid posted:

My mistake then, I had read that several places and it takes so long to heat the abyssalite that it seemed like a wash. I guess I wasted my time, but whatever.

Nah, the cold mass in that area is so large you'll be fine for a long time, I'm just pointing out that it is eventually finite. The abyssalite won't absorb the heat, but all the cold material will in time, leaving you with no source of cold to offset the new heat, at least not without other tools. Frankly all you have to do to fix it once it becomes a thing (and it might be a long time depending on the heat you're outputting) is put some wheezeworts down, preferably in a hydrogen filled sealed room, or run hydrogen to a nearby AETN and loop some back around. Producing cold from those 2 methods will very likely offset the heat, and the biome is already cold like you said so it won't be an uphill battle.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 19, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mazz posted:

Nah, the cold mass in that area is so large you'll be fine for a long time, I'm just pointing out that it is eventually finite. The abyssalite won't absorb the heat, but all the cold material will in time, leaving you with no source of cold to offset the new heat, at least not without other tools. Frankly all you have to do to fix it once it becomes a thing (and it might be a long time depending on the heat you're outputting) is put some wheezeworts down, preferably in a hydrogen filled sealed room, or run hydrogen to a nearby AETN and loop some back around. Producing cold from those 2 methods will very likely offset the heat, and the biome is already cold like you said so it won't be an uphill battle.

Yeah that is what I will probably do. Offsetting the heat from power generation probably will not be too bad since they are right next to my electrolyzers. Bigger issue is that I am currently draining a steam geyser directly into a cold biome to cool the water, which is pretty heavy lifting. I'll figure it out.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I just saw a nice tutorial on using the steam generator to produce massively cold liquid, but it completely violates heat physics. They really need to resolve that discrepancy, because otherwise steam turbines are far more magical than aetns.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah that is what I will probably do. Offsetting the heat from power generation probably will not be too bad since they are right next to my electrolyzers. Bigger issue is that I am currently draining a steam geyser directly into a cold biome to cool the water, which is pretty heavy lifting. I'll figure it out.

I don't a great guide or specific screens on hand but this screenshot has both types of coolers visible if you never made anything like this before:

Wheezewort room above the refineries, and the AETN room below the coal generators. Together, and paired with the cool slush and metal tile for temperature transfer I way underestimated their potential, but at least it makes for useful screenshots :v:

They both operate on the same principle, fill a room with hydrogen because it's the best gas for heat transfer, and uses wheezes or an AETN to cool the gas in the room, which will take heat out of pipes running through the room. You can do this anywhere you want with a little practice and 3-4 wheezes or an AETN. The hard part is filling a room with just hydrogen but the main trick there pumping to as close as a vacuum as you can, and then pumping in all the hydrogen. Hydrogen will float above all other gasses and push them down, so when the hydrogen is really dense, you pop a little hole in the floor of the room and it will push other gasses out, leaving you with a pure hydrogen environment. Then just seal it up.

Unfortunately this is also the best screen I have on hand for how the cooling loops look in the vent window, far left:

Once you get a handle on that kind of cooling loop though, heat will never be a problem again. And its real simple once you get the hang of it. You can do the piping with hydrogen or oil/petro, the latter working faster, I prefer hydrogen because I tend to have a lot more liquid spaghetti piping than gas.

User0015 posted:

I just saw a nice tutorial on using so steam generator to produce massive cold liquid, but it completely violates heat physics me they really need to resolve that discrepancy, because otherwise steam turbines are far more magical than aetns.

Yeah you can do some really crazy poo poo with turbines, including a gas exploit trick where they provide free power forever once on, so I'm hoping they kind of rework them entirely since everything cool I've seen feels like it's just an exploit and not intended. Hell even intended it's basically to just exploit away all the space heat as far as I can tell. That news about 3 new biomes has me pretty excited in general now though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 19, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Panfilo posted:

There's always supposed to be 2 AETNs on a map, right?

Is this true? I never seek them out so I have no idea, but I thought they were random just like geysers.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

enraged_camel posted:

Is this true? I never seek them out so I have no idea, but I thought they were random just like geysers.

Geysers (and space destinations) aren't entirely random, either. You get a minimum of 2 cool steam and 2 oil fissures (I think) and the others are random.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
2 nats as well. And yeah 2 AETN's are guaranteed, I think you'll never get more than 2 either, but could be wrong there.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

bird food bathtub posted:

I got hilariously lucky and had three slickster eggs on the print list at like cycle 50. That was amazingly useful without all the rear end pain of setting up plastic infrastructure and herding those drat things out of the magma biome.

Then at maybe cycle 100 or 150 they bred a molten slickster. Been living on easy street with CO2 this entire run through.
I also got 3 Slickster eggs early and promptly set up a nice CO2 heaven below my coal generators.

An then the eggs broke somehow :v:

They are omlett now, may they rest in peace.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mayveena posted:

2 nats as well. And yeah 2 AETN's are guaranteed, I think you'll never get more than 2 either, but could be wrong there.

It is one guaranteed Nat and the second is either Nat or Chlorine. Four Natural Gas Geysers could also happen, but in that case two of them were guaranteed and two were randomly picked during the creation of the seed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

How (not) to cool.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Sillybones posted:

How (not) to cool.

No, no, that seems like that'd chill anything down right quick

wait what shutoff valves

dear lord

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Accidentally seal off cooling pond around volcano without enough mass of water.

Discover it later with 400? Kg/m^3 steam.

Need the metal now.

Don't have enviro suits yet.

Alright who's the lucky dupe.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Drop a pond of cold water on the top and have your dupe swim through it to break the seal.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really care for things like water locks - even though they don't violate the laws of physics any more than most things in the game.

My dupes make frequent use of the med bay D:

The atmosphere outside the steam room was chlorine which combined with hot steam should be even more interesting but I guess most people don't want that kind of "fun".

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's not a water lock. That's a pond to keep your dupe from getting fried by absorbing some of the heat from the steam.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't think they were talking about a waterlock, think the suggestion was find a small ocean of polluted water or something nearby nearby or above and start digging a channel. Drown the area, let thermodynamics sort it out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adenoid Dan posted:

I don't really care for things like water locks - even though they don't violate the laws of physics any more than most things in the game.

My dupes make frequent use of the med bay D:

The atmosphere outside the steam room was chlorine which combined with hot steam should be even more interesting but I guess most people don't want that kind of "fun".

I get this feeling but honestly the thing about the weird physics cheats is that often the non-cheaty way of doing the same thing either takes up a ton more space, or just plain doesn't exist. There are certain quirks of the physics system in the game that you just kind of have to accept as a given for that universe and finding clever ways to exploit them is the game, essentially.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How a straight up air lock building doesn't exist yet I don't know. Until something so obvious exists I will continue to use waterlocks to take their place because, really, why doesn't it exist?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

How a straight up air lock building doesn't exist yet I don't know. Until something so obvious exists I will continue to use waterlocks to take their place because, really, why doesn't it exist?

I think the idea is that engineering it yourself is part of the game. Like all the parts are there - your job is to assemble them. The thing about waterlocks is they kind of cut all the bullshit so you have a thing your dupes can just walk through without needing pumps or vents or filters or anything else to prevent gases crossing the threshold.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s not like an easy solution won’t stop experienced players from cooking up insane pieces of engineering that will be slightly more effective. Sooooo many new players struggle with slime and slimelung. So why not create a checkpoint that uses Bleach Stone to remove external slimelung from items and the surrounding air? You could even create a second more advanced/faster version that used piped chlorine.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 23, 2019

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Airlock that works like the tube station with the charge and having to recharge would be a fine solution. Maybe make it a little slow too. Making a waterlock is trivial but tedious. Making an actual airlock manually is just a terrible idea. That space gel solution is no solution at all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Decontamination entryways and the like would be cool as well. My specific gripe about an airlock is that currently, without making a water lock or the absurd space goop solution, there are no doors that actual seal poo poo off and block gas infiltration, much less fluid infiltration. You can engineer some crazy stuff with sideways doors and that will stop it but only by virtue of deleting stuff that comes in either side. A very simple building that, when opened, doesn't let gasses or fluids leak through or in or any vacuum or anything is the most basic thing I can imagine in a game where probably a quarter of it is about managing the presence and location of gasses and fluids and it is a minor source of frustration that it doesn't exist.

Still playing a ton, just can't help but notice the problem every single time I'm metering out some absurdly small drop of water trying to get one teensy tile of water to spring up and latch on to a wall tile.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Yeah, pretty sure whatever "magical spacebullshit forcefield airlock" is gonna be the top workshop mod, when the subscribe-and-forget integration gets implemented.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh I see. The steam isn't really that immediately dangerous to be worth the hassle imo. I just enjoy the absurdity of some of the situations.

And what's the point of a med bay if you never use it.

Edit: I do occasionally make airlocks with door - gas pump - door when I have set up a gas fractionation column.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 24, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised powered doors don't act as airlocks to be honest. And the only other really common "airlock" design is to use 3 doors with a delay timer that deletes air in the middle section. Not exactly a better solution imo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised powered doors don't act as airlocks to be honest. And the only other really common "airlock" design is to use 3 doors with a delay timer that deletes air in the middle section. Not exactly a better solution imo.

Yeah I feel like gas/liquid deletion kind of falls under the same sort of "cheaty" category of water locks. Like it's valid as far as the game physics are concerned but it FEELS wrong.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't like the water locks or fancy door tricks, so I just put an air pump in between two airlock doors, set it to run for a bit after the outer door has been opened, and have it vent to a ways past the outer door.

I suppose I'd allow visco-gel locks, since that appears to be the only reason to make the stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Anti-deletion mechanic: Any time something would be deleted it displaces part of your matter printer queue.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can stack liquids of different types to make 1 tile wide air locks, mainly using petroleum and oil since they have no risk of temperature moving them. It's even more exploity than the others though.

The best way I saw to start something like that is a stairway, apparently a very specific amount of liquid ends up on each stair as it flows down.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

I don't like the water locks or fancy door tricks, so I just put an air pump in between two airlock doors, set it to run for a bit after the outer door has been opened, and have it vent to a ways past the outer door.

I suppose I'd allow visco-gel locks, since that appears to be the only reason to make the stuff.

That's weird to me to. They made an entire end game substance act as an efficient liquid lock. Like, why? I feel like a high viscosity liquid could find other uses, like lubricant or separating layers of liquid for whatever reasons

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So now that I'm on cycle 60 and seem to have staved off heat death for a while through the introduction of a half dozen wheezeworts and a broken ring of insulated tile, I'm turning my eye towards water purification. Is it true that pumping water into a container that sits in chlorine will purify it of all germs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Riatsala posted:

So now that I'm on cycle 60 and seem to have staved off heat death for a while through the introduction of a half dozen wheezeworts and a broken ring of insulated tile, I'm turning my eye towards water purification. Is it true that pumping water into a container that sits in chlorine will purify it of all germs?

Yes. Why does it work when the content is in a sealed container? MAGIC.