Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Has there been any info on when the update will be properly applied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Samovar posted:

Has there been any info on when the update will be properly applied?

Release date is July 28.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Mazz posted:

I hope the seed in the esc menu prints correctly but it's 295754730

There is actually 2 cool slush and 2 salt water geysers in that screenshot or just to the right side of the starting biome. Also a minor volcano and a polluted O2 vent just beneath my insulated floor line there.

hmm, neither pasting the number into the whole seedgen nor replacing just the text on a rime world worked. rip seedgen sharing for now

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Jinnigan posted:

hmm, neither pasting the number into the whole seedgen nor replacing just the text on a rime world worked. rip seedgen sharing for now

I'm not at my desk right now, but there was an option on the map gen screen that takes you into a detailed settings pane. The top right of that pane has the text field where you can drop that number.

I started a game on that seed when I got home from work last night and made it until about cycle 40. The cold is loving nuts, I have an insulated farm room containing two large dumb batteries, two space heaters, and 18 farm plots for mealwood which has gotten up to a mean temperature of 3C and change.

Fortunately bristle will grow at 5C, and I've had oxygen diffusers running on the barracks floor directly below the printer room and on the printer room floor, so those two rooms are the warmest spots at about 7C for the printer-lit farm and 12-13C for the barracks.

But yeah, I've confirmed it's the seed by having explored enough to reveal that natty-g vent before I passed out last night.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Big patch today. Some notable changes (bolded):

quote:

Pips can no longer walk through closed doors when walking around corners
Park and Nature Reserve actually apply their morale bonuses to Duplicants that enter them
Balance pass on geysers, bringing up the rates of some of the Gas Vents, and also reducing the rates of the Cool Slush Geyser.
The min and max outputs of all geysers has been narrowed, reducing the variability between instances of the same geyser somewhat.

Ores and items should no longer float midair when removed from a storage
Duplicants should do a better jobs of completing multiple recipes in a row on fabricator buildings
Wood Generator audio added
Arbor Trees can no longer create branches after they've been uprooted
New foods added and updated (Pacu Fillet, Surf n Turf, Grilled Pacu, Mushroom Wrap, Spicy Tofu and Frost Burger)
A balance pass on all foods has been done
Updated Monument artwork
Fluids/Gasses in dead-end pipes will flow towards a destination
Scrolling once again works in the Hats dropdown
The selected object's detail panel will remember the current tab across selections, until that window is closed
Tree branches will correctly uproot themselves if the tree trunk is uprooted
Crops which are fully grown will drop their harvest when uprooted
Fixed a bug where effects and products wouldn't spawn if a crop's farm tile/planter box was destroyed
Updated Chinese strings
Crushing Salt to Table Salt now creates sand instead of vanishing the remaining mass
Rust Deoxydizer now has higher input rates, but outputs Iron Ore in addition to its previous outputs
Colony Imperative list scrolls to reveal newly achieved Initiatives
Effects added to achieving an Initiative
Rewriting and editing of various Log Entries
Pips can now plant Sleet Wheat seeds
Six Work-in-progress tutorial animations have been added to Tutorial Notifications and Tutorial Database entries.
Cleaned up the top menu buttons (Vitals, Consumables, etc.): Made reports a "mini" button, moved Schedule from the clock to the menu bar, and added a button to open the escape menu.
Monument part selection save/loads properly
Light requirements have been removed from rooms
The bonus from working a machine in light has been raised to 15%

Floor Lamp now gives positive decor
"Join" intersections for conduits (where more than one pipe tries adding to the intersection) will now merge similar elements if possible, resulting in much better throughput.

Regarding the light changes:

quote:

On discord it's reported that "machines" getting 15% boost is a very broad description. Showers, bathrooms, sinks, all recreation buildings, grills etc etc are apparently "machines" and the task involved gets completed 15% faster if in light. Mess tables are not "machines" it appear though.

So, assuming this is an intended change, lights have now become super important.

Lastly, people are reporting that it is now possible (I guess it wasn't before) to get thimble reed seeds from the printing pod.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 17, 2019

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Big patch today. Some notable changes (bolded):

Regarding the light changes:

So, assuming this is an intended change, lights have now become super important.

Lastly, people are reporting that it is now possible (I guess it wasn't before) to get thimble reed seeds from the printing pod.

Have they fixed the worts yet? Or was that huge reduction not actually a bug?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Do seeds replant themselves yet?

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
They seem to have introduced a bug with radiant pipes.

I'm not sure what exactly is happening, but it used to be the case that running really hot oxygen through this cold basin would cool it down nicely, but now the temperature fluctuates wildly while in the radiant pipes, and then goes back to its original temperature when exiting. I was suddenly piping 80C oxygen directly into my farms, so be careful if you're relying on something like this.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Those are some incredibly cool changes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If you aren't growing blossoms there is exactly enough space around the pod to build both research stations in it's free light and get +15% free speed bonus.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Does the whole machine need to be lit, the tile (or tiles) the dupe is occupying, or any part of the machine?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LoboFlex posted:

They seem to have introduced a bug with radiant pipes.

I'm not sure what exactly is happening, but it used to be the case that running really hot oxygen through this cold basin would cool it down nicely, but now the temperature fluctuates wildly while in the radiant pipes, and then goes back to its original temperature when exiting. I was suddenly piping 80C oxygen directly into my farms, so be careful if you're relying on something like this.

fixed in latest update

quote:

Salt vine salt output increased
Salt vine uses more sand and less chlorine
Wheezewort phosphorite usage reduced
Airborne Critter Bait no longer "turns off", and has no more logic port
Airborne Critter Bait plays destruction animation
Gas/Liquid pipes correctly update their temperature frame-to-frame
Updated artwork for Ethanol Distillery
Fix crash when a fabricator building completes a recipe the same frame it becomes inoperational
Building "Errands" panel correctly shows chore orders once again
Fix crash when starting a new game

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

There is 0% chance this comes out in July.

Loving the game, mind. They can take as long as they like for me.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

LonsomeSon posted:

I started a game on that seed when I got home from work last night and made it until about cycle 40. The cold is loving nuts, I have an insulated farm room containing two large dumb batteries, two space heaters, and 18 farm plots for mealwood which has gotten up to a mean temperature of 3C and change.

Fortunately bristle will grow at 5C, and I've had oxygen diffusers running on the barracks floor directly below the printer room and on the printer room floor, so those two rooms are the warmest spots at about 7C for the printer-lit farm and 12-13C for the barracks.

I've found using a liquid tepidizer (on it's own dedicated coal gen circuit) to heat up my water tank to 15 C or so, then piping that water over my farm works very well to keep it warm enough to grow plants at. If you're growing bristles, then the water's already being used anyways.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 18, 2019

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

How the hell do I manage circuits? I'm confused about how electricity works in this game and honestly in general.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anything connected to a line can potentially draw power from that line. If the power draw of everything connected and activated goes over the limit that line starts taking damage.

I tend to run a "spine" of heavy watt through all of my generators, and attach it to the high side of transformers, as well as some really high voltage draw machinery I keep outside the base. The low side of a transformer gets normal lines run to everything up to that line's capacity (sometimes I'll put more stuff on a line than it can hold if I know it won't be activated at the same time, balance it with care).

Eventually when I have the spare refined metal I put a smart battery on the low side of the transformer that turns the transformer off at 100% and on at 50-ish% just so transformers aren't running 24/7 but it's not a super high priority.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

bird food bathtub posted:

Anything connected to a line can potentially draw power from that line. If the power draw of everything connected and activated goes over the limit that line starts taking damage.

I tend to run a "spine" of heavy watt through all of my generators, and attach it to the high side of transformers, as well as some really high voltage draw machinery I keep outside the base. The low side of a transformer gets normal lines run to everything up to that line's capacity (sometimes I'll put more stuff on a line than it can hold if I know it won't be activated at the same time, balance it with care).

Eventually when I have the spare refined metal I put a smart battery on the low side of the transformer that turns the transformer off at 100% and on at 50-ish% just so transformers aren't running 24/7 but it's not a super high priority.

Can you share a screenshot of what you're talking about? I've been building my power rooms as close to this setup as I can and I'm not sure if it's still good or if I'm just not splitting the power up enough or what.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 19, 2019

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Your screenshot looks generally ok, but I notice one mistake. On the right side transformer, you are running heavy watt wire off it and then connecting regular wire to the heavy watt. There's no point using the transformer if you want to run heavy watt wire, and if you want to use the transformer to protect a circuit, you'll want to run regular wire only.

Basically, each wire type has a maximum safe Wattage. For standard wire this is 1000 W, for heavy watt wire it's 20,000 W. Having the total Wattage drawn by active machinery on a regular wire circuit exceed that 1000 W limit will cause circuit damage. Additionally, Heavy Watt wire is a massive decor loss. It's best to keep that stuff contained to the power room, and out of sight.

So
a) Use regular wire for circuits, but keep the connected machinery below 1000 W. Make multiple separate small circuits
b) Use heavy watt wire to run power close to these circuits from your power plant, and use transformers to step down from heavy watt wire -> regular wire

Started a new game on the test branch, and everytime I use the Harvest tool to select plants to harvest the game locks up for 2-3 seconds. Couldn't figure out the issue, until I noticed this: 116 Arbor trees spawned on the same tile at map gen.

This also explains how my dupes have harvested 45 tonnes of lumber by cycle 20.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 19, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
You should really never mix the heavy and light wires on the same circuit. A circuit is only as strong as the weakest wire on it so the advantage of the 20kW heavy wire vanishes if you connect it with basic wiring.

The heavy wire should be on the input side of the transformer, the light on the output side. The point of the transformer is to isolate the lighter circuit from the heavy side.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The latest patch fixes Wheezeworts, so that is great! Games starting to look solid, still can't see a July release though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Funso Banjo posted:

The latest patch fixes Wheezeworts, so that is great! Games starting to look solid, still can't see a July release though.

Especially since they're still doing major balance changes. And they haven't said anything about allowing customizing world gen traits or duplicants without the stupid reroll buttons. Or optimizing hauling behavior around rest/bed times or low oxygen Or inconsistent pipe connections

Just duplicate the loving prepare carefully skills GUI from dwarf fortress... maybe make it like the RimWorld mod for the same.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I recently started playing this and I'm kinda disappointed it's releasing soon. I wish there were more ways to manage the lovely AI and preventing them from climbing 100 tiles in with -8 athletics to deliver a few milligrams of algae or dig themselves into a hole or walk into superheated steam. I wish that you could carry objects without having to build stuff like bottle emptiers and storage containers, that you could designate an area off limits for decontamination so they don't try to clean every ladder in the swamp biome in atmospheric suits, that objects were automatically built with the closest type of mineral, and that you could press K and filter what items to sweep.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mercrom posted:

that objects were automatically built with the closest type of mineral

Ugh, mismatched floor tiles? No thanks. Materials have sufficiently different properties that you generally don't want to do that even if you don't give a drat about aesthetics.

Mercrom posted:

preventing them from climbing 100 tiles in with -8 athletics to deliver a few milligrams of algae

Set that dupe's personal job priorities to either never do those types of jobs or do them only after they've exhausted all other options. Personal priorities are heavily (x10) weighted compared to specific task priorities.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You can also set a proximity toggle so that jobs will get done on a bit better organizational method (closest dupe pathing vs first open/priority focused regardless of distance), which can help keep those dupes from going back and forth long distances between lovely jobs. It’s in the priorities tab, little button top right.

Example: if you have a high priority slime storage while mining slime (and haven’t drastically tuned job priorities manually), each dupe will often mine a block and then carry that slime, vs proximity they will keep mining and other dupes without tasks will get the slime.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 19, 2019

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Faldoncow posted:

Your screenshot looks generally ok, but I notice one mistake. On the right side transformer, you are running heavy watt wire off it and then connecting regular wire to the heavy watt. There's no point using the transformer if you want to run heavy watt wire, and if you want to use the transformer to protect a circuit, you'll want to run regular wire only.

Basically, each wire type has a maximum safe Wattage. For standard wire this is 1000 W, for heavy watt wire it's 20,000 W. Having the total Wattage drawn by active machinery on a regular wire circuit exceed that 1000 W limit will cause circuit damage. Additionally, Heavy Watt wire is a massive decor loss. It's best to keep that stuff contained to the power room, and out of sight.

So
a) Use regular wire for circuits, but keep the connected machinery below 1000 W. Make multiple separate small circuits
b) Use heavy watt wire to run power close to these circuits from your power plant, and use transformers to step down from heavy watt wire -> regular wire

Started a new game on the test branch, and everytime I use the Harvest tool to select plants to harvest the game locks up for 2-3 seconds. Couldn't figure out the issue, until I noticed this: 116 Arbor trees spawned on the same tile at map gen.

This also explains how my dupes have harvested 45 tonnes of lumber by cycle 20.

Smiling Demon posted:

You should really never mix the heavy and light wires on the same circuit. A circuit is only as strong as the weakest wire on it so the advantage of the 20kW heavy wire vanishes if you connect it with basic wiring.

The heavy wire should be on the input side of the transformer, the light on the output side. The point of the transformer is to isolate the lighter circuit from the heavy side.

There's actually a really annoying trait of the game that I discovered. I initially put the heavy wire there and never meant to change it but when you connect a regular wire to it they will overwrite the heavy wire with the regular wire. If you look in the screenshot I've got the gas filter down below it and that's what happened there. I basically just need to split things up more right? Instead of having this power the whole facility I need to split it up into more power rooms connected to certain things. I've got a metal refinery set up with 3 coal plants connected to 2 metal refineries that only turn on when the refineries need them. Stuff like that I assume? Also behind the ladders I have heavy wire, should I replace that with regular/conductive(when able) wire?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Cowman posted:

There's actually a really annoying trait of the game that I discovered. I initially put the heavy wire there and never meant to change it but when you connect a regular wire to it they will overwrite the heavy wire with the regular wire. If you look in the screenshot I've got the gas filter down below it and that's what happened there. I basically just need to split things up more right? Instead of having this power the whole facility I need to split it up into more power rooms connected to certain things. I've got a metal refinery set up with 3 coal plants connected to 2 metal refineries that only turn on when the refineries need them. Stuff like that I assume? Also behind the ladders I have heavy wire, should I replace that with regular/conductive(when able) wire?

You don't need to break down your power sources that much, just your wiring and/or transformers. Heavy watt is such a hit to decor I tend to go with transformers centralized in the power area and then just run tons of conductive wire to different sections; because conductive can carry a decent charge so long as you don't put big consumers on the same line (like multiple metal refineries running parallel) you will very rarely to never bust a conductive wire, especially if you work in automation to control air pumps and such so they don't run concurrently. Some of my lines have had like 20-30 consumers on them but function great between balancing the loads ( also a handful of items that require power but don't actually draw any) and automation. Access to a metal volcano is pretty much mandatory to do this in a sane fashion though.

An example from a few builds ago, but you'll see the general idea:

Basically the heavi watt is confined to the bottom left rooms (where no dupe is ever required to go), just exists to connect to the transformers, and then feed off into different sections via long conductive runs. There's an additional group of transformers on the far bottom left as that's where my refineries were and they need their own curcuits. Doing it this way is less "simple" than just heavi watt runs but my decor also looked like this:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 19, 2019

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Mazz posted:

You don't need to break down your power sources that much, just your wiring and/or transformers. Heavy watt is such a hit to decor I tend to go with transformers centralized in the power area and then just run tons of conductive wire to different sections; because conductive can carry a decent charge so long as you don't put big consumers on the same line (like multiple metal refineries running parallel) you will very rarely to never bust a conductive wire, especially if you work in automation to control air pumps and such so they don't run concurrently. Some of my lines have had like 20-30 consumers on them but function great between balancing the loads ( also a handful of items that require power but don't actually draw any) and automation. Access to a metal volcano is pretty much mandatory to do this in a sane fashion though.

An example from a few builds ago, but you'll see the general idea:

Basically the heavi watt is confined to the bottom left rooms (where no dupe is ever required to go), just exists to connect to the transformers, and then feed off into different sections via long conductive runs. There's an additional group of transformers on the far bottom left as that's where my refineries were and they need their own curcuits. Doing it this way is less "simple" than just heavi watt runs but my decor also looked like this:

Those bases look pretty far along, how many FPS were you getting there? That's always been my biggest problem with this game. Once I get to the point that half the map is mined out the game runs horribly (less than 20 fps). Did they optimize it yet?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cowman posted:

There's actually a really annoying trait of the game that I discovered. I initially put the heavy wire there and never meant to change it but when you connect a regular wire to it they will overwrite the heavy wire with the regular wire.

You should never be connecting a regular wire to a heavi wire like that. When power runs through a circuit, it runs through the whole circuit, not just directly to the machine that's using it, so eventually your regular wire is going to be destroyed by the current. When you want to "branch off" to run a regular wire to some machinery, that's what transformers are for.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Loiku posted:

Those bases look pretty far along, how many FPS were you getting there? That's always been my biggest problem with this game. Once I get to the point that half the map is mined out the game runs horribly (less than 20 fps). Did they optimize it yet?

I had some drops but nothing drastic, but I also do things like clean up my gasses and sweep drat near every object dropped in time. I think not managing those two things has a big effect on CPU load, because every item has a mass, temperature, etc being tracked. Once they get stored they “combine”, drastically reducing the individual items that exist. This has interesting knock on effects as a way to temperature balance materials like stone really quickly, as it average values based on masses. I.E 2 tons of 50C sandstone added to 18 tons of 10C will result in 20 tons at like 12C or whatever, now as one object.

I would argue this is also a very good reason to categorize your storage once you get comfortably settled, as it maximizes this combining item stuff. 600 tons of abyassalite fits in 30 full storage containers, but it reduces the abyasslite objects to those 30 stacks. Across all material it adds up fast.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 19, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can you attach multiple transformers to a Heavi-Watt line? I've never been sure.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Feels about ready to release actually.

Sure there are some bugs, but nothing game-breaking.

Besides, they have delayed it long enough already.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you attach multiple transformers to a Heavi-Watt line? I've never been sure.

Yes, the general layout if you're using centralized power is to have a single heavi-watt backbone line connecting all of your power generators (and batteries if you're using solar), connected to a series of transformers to branch the power off towards small groups of machines via regular wires.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

This is how I manage my power. The "spine" of heavi-watt runs to my power plants, since I had some natural gas generators in different locations and solar panels on the top of the asteroid there's multiple plants, and also along the bottom of my base for a bunch of refineries and high power draw stuff that I don't want in the base. Each transformer is a different "circuit" and the regular power lines coming off of it jump across a vacuum layer for heat insulation then into the base where it's distributed as necessary. Should have gone with all insulated or whatever the wire is at the bottom for less decor hit but oh well. The one at the top was laid down really early in the game and I'll get around to replacing it at some point.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bird food bathtub posted:

the regular power lines coming off of it jump across a vacuum layer for heat insulation then into the base where it's distributed as necessary.
Ooh, nice. Done by pump?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ooh, nice. Done by pump?

Not at first but I did end up adding a pump for having to reconstruct portions of it to put in the wire bridges. Most of the base is surrounded by vacuum that was built that way using the tile subtraction at an angle thing, then for the portions that I frequently reconstruct like that wiring section I have it portioned off with two insulated tiles.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Ugh, mismatched floor tiles? No thanks. Materials have sufficiently different properties that you generally don't want to do that even if you don't give a drat about aesthetics.

It generally doesn't matter in the slightest because the differences are tiny, but there's no reason you wouldn't still be able to build your ladders out of obsidian if you are worried about them melting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's the tile subtraction at an angle thing?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Dupes can mine or remove blocks that are on the inside corners.
code:
OO
OXO
OOO
Since gas cannot move diagonally, it means once the X block is removed it is automatically in vacuum. Build up the next layer and repeat to build vacuum-insulated walls.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can also build out walls that way to isolate liquids/gasses outside an area; isolate the working tile like this:
code:
       X
XXXXXXXOMMMMM
then dig out/fill in the O, and repeat in the next tile. Works in any direction once you get the hang of it. Building in the space will displace/delete the fluid there. Same diagonal trick works to move a wall a space over as well, so long as you can access the direction you want to go. Slow, but clean.

Really useful when working from underneath a liquid pool you don't want everywhere and/or a gas pocket bursting.

EDIT: My post decided to move that X, if its not over the O it should be

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i mean if you're gonna exploit game mechanics to create vacuum, why not just enable sandbox mode and do it that way? it's a lot less work.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 20, 2019