Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slime posted:

Unless art got given a bonus based on the skill of the maker recently, it's honestly not all that big a deal if you have low art skill anyway. It only influences painting speed, right? And once you don't need to make paintings all that often.

If art skill is low (below 4?) the finished work gives a (slightly) lower decor bonus

enraged_camel posted:

No, it also affects the quality of the works, and the quality affects decor bonus.

Basically, any decor item created by a dupe with less than 5 creativity will turn out to be crap.
Heh, of course three people already answered while I was typing a bunch of nerdy rambling:

Also statues/paintings radiate their happy-beams through mesh/airflow and screen doors. and statues have 8 effect radius vs 6 for paintings, so they hit a ~18% bigger area and it's easier to overlap the radii because the effect stacks.

So something useful for keeping stress down is to build your sleeping/eating/etc sector entirely of transparent floors/doors and interlace granite statues between BBQ/research/etc. No matter how uptight they are, whenever they're not off in the turd mines they mellow the gently caress out.

Though it's easy to get overkill resulting in bathrooms with +600 decor. Welcome to the Maximum Relaxation Zone, enjoy your dump.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Though it's easy to get overkill resulting in bathrooms with +600 decor. Welcome to the Maximum Relaxation Zone, enjoy your dump.

About the only time you wish your dupes had Irritable Bowel. ;)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i'm pretty bored with the game but, job preference doesn't really matter, at least early game. it just speeds up job mastery. preference is helpful late game so dupes don't lag behind. As for starting dupes....different people have different wants. i like
miner (+digging)
chef (+cooking)
researcher (+learning)
miners just help with everything plus they can skill up for digging hard ores earlier. skilled chefs are essential. high skill researchers can trivialize research.

the bigger issue is what traits do you take.
gently caress no traits
loud sleeper
anemic
flatulent
noodle arms

maybe but not really traits
mouth breather
bottomless stomach
trypophobia
unconstructive
slow learner
biohazardous

meh neutral traits
gastrophobia
squemish
pacifist
yokel
narcoleptic
irratible bowl
small bladder

narcoleptic, small bladder, mouth breather, anemic, and noodle arms are the traits that cost a lot of time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cooking is essential? Hmm, I haven't found much use for it, to be honest. As long as you have high decor, most dupes are OK with eating raw mealwood. Later on it causes stress, but whatever, it's nothing that a few minutes on the massage table can't fix, if it becomes absolutely necessary.

In the early game, microbe musher can help, but most recipes use obscene amounts of water which I don't like.

Nacroleptic is a huge "gently caress no" for me. I loving hate it for some reason.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
narcoleptic straightup gets dupes killed

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I’ll use loud sleepers, just put them somewhere else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

temple posted:

loud sleeper
It's not actually that bad. Stick them at the edge of a sleeping room and ditch the adjacent bed. Noodle arms and anaemic can go to hell though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

narcoleptic straightup gets dupes killed

It requires a bit of micro, but if you force move a dupe when they go narco, they'll resume doing stuff immediately. They don't seem to fall asleep again until the next randomized time, at which point.. micro move again.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
so all you hafta to do is just continuously watch them like a hawk? sounds easy

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the whole point of the game is automation, not sure why anyone would want to micro single dupes

temple
Jul 29, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Cooking is essential? Hmm, I haven't found much use for it, to be honest. As long as you have high decor, most dupes are OK with eating raw mealwood. Later on it causes stress, but whatever, it's nothing that a few minutes on the massage table can't fix, if it becomes absolutely necessary.
a litttle bit of water and cooking doubles the kcals. fewer plants are needed. It takes a ton of plants to feed with raw mealwood plus the energy cost of running the massage table.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
After not having understood exactly how transformers work for the longest time, I have now figures out that they have dedicated input and output sides and that it does not matter what kind of cable you hook up to either side.

Now I want to use the excess power generated by my SPOM to feed my main bus (that is, the whole base, including the main battery bank). The problem is that my attempt leads to excessive load on the wires in the SPOM.

Overview with my SPOM to the lower left.

Power view: The SPOM internal wiring leads to a smart battery and from there to a transformer that's hooked into the main bus. The smart battery is connected to an automated power shutoff so that the smart battery is never fully unloaded and can power the SPOM pumps and electrolyzer if the hydrogen generator happens to not have any hydrogen in it.

Automation view: The smart battery automatically (through a NOT gate) shuts off the connection to the main bus once it falls to 30% charge and connects again once it reaches 100%.

My problem is that once the smart battery reaches 100%, it opens the circuit towards the main bus, which rapidly unloads it and thus puts over 5kW on the whole SPOM circuit. As you can see in the overview, all the SPOM internal wiring is already damaged from it and repairing it is a major hassle.

How can I limit the discharge of the smart battery so as not to overload the circuit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If I'm reading your setup right it's not pulling 5k, because the transformer on the top right is going to limit the pull to the main bus to 1k. The issue is that 1k is on top of the up-to-840 that's being pulled by the rest of the setup on that subcircuit, meaning an up to 1,840 draw on a 1k rated line. Rearrange your wires so that the generator and battery are on one side of the second cutoff you have there, and the sub-circuit on the other. This will result in your circuit flipping between two states:

30% -> 100% : Generator, battery, and lower transformer feeding into battery and sub-circuit (<=840 draw + battery)
100% -> 30% : Generator/battery feeding into upper-right transformer (<=1k draw), lower transformer feeding into sub-circuit (<=840 draw)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 21, 2018

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Splicer posted:

Rearrange your wires so that the generator and battery are on one side of the second cutoff you have there, and the sub-circuit on the other.

Ha, I came up with the exact same workaround as you while I was in the shower - thanks.

Workaround overview: The power cutoff left of the smart battery connects once the battery falls below 30%. The power cutoff to the right of the smart battery disconnects at 30% and connects at 100%. This way, only one circuit (1. towards the main bus, and 2. from the SPOM) is active at any time.

Workaround power view: The heavy conductive wire runs beyond the left (SPOM-side) cutoff to ensure that no wires are damaged.

Splicer posted:

If I'm reading your setup right it's not pulling 5k, because the transformer on the top right is going to limit the pull to the main bus to 1k. The issue is that 1k is on top of the up-to-840 that's being pulled by the rest of the setup on that subcircuit, meaning an up to 1,840 draw on a 1k rated line.
That's what I would have thought as well, so my initial thought was simply to replace wires with conductive wires which could have handled the 2kW. However, I carefully looked at the wires over several on/off-cycles and it always showed a maximum draw of over 5000W. I don't know where that 5kW draw could even come from.

Ridgewell fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 21, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

you can't loop electricity. just guessing, the wire with 5kw draw is trying to power transformer which is powering the main bus.

this isn't how transformers work. the main bus is attached to the transformer's low end. the spom running into the high end of a transformer. the spom circuit is being treated like the main bus. The branch in the heavy watt wire means its going to pull regardless of touching a transformer.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ridgewell posted:

Ha, I came up with the exact same workaround as you while I was in the shower - thanks.
In-game showers should generate shower thoughts bonus training XP. Troubleshooting your problem has encouraged me to dive a bit harder into automation than I've been comfortable with so far so hooray!

The way you have it now though keep in mind you might end up with a bootstrapping problem if the battery ever runs dry.

temple posted:

you can't loop electricity. just guessing, the wire with 5kw draw is trying to power transformer which is powering the main bus.

this isn't how transformers work. the main bus is attached to the transformer's low end. the spom running into the high end of a transformer. the spom circuit is being treated like the main bus. The branch in the heavy watt wire means its going to pull regardless of touching a transformer.
I think the intent of the right transformer was to prevent spillback from the mains and to try to limit how much draw was on the battery.

Ridgewell posted:

That's what I would have thought as well, so my initial thought was simply to replace wires with conductive wires which could have handled the 2kW. However, I carefully looked at the wires over several on/off-cycles and it always showed a maximum draw of over 5000W. I don't know where that 5kW draw could even come from.
Did you ever actually see it drawing 5k? It may be the switchover isn't completely simultaneous so the loop would form for a fraction of a second and wig out the numbers, but the actual damage was from the 1.8k "real" draw.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

its looks like the battery is going to run dry trying to power the left of the transformer/circuit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

temple posted:

its looks like the battery is going to run dry trying to power the left of the transformer/circuit.
It'll be fine as long as the generator is running, but if the generator chokes for too long yeah. The thing I was trying to describe earlier sidesteps that issue but I can't diagram it because phoneposting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Does the sandbox mode let you place geysers? I played for 26 cycles and then realized there is only one water geyser on the whole map and it's really far away.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Does the sandbox mode let you place geysers? I played for 26 cycles and then realized there is only one water geyser on the whole map and it's really far away.

Why would you need a geyser in sandbox mode?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just got to the 50th cycle of my game, and suddenly half my population caught slimelung. It turns out that putting polluted water through the water sieve to recycle it doesn't actually get rid of the slimelung germs. How does everyone deal with keeping the water clean? Heat it up to some certain temperature to kill everything in it? Cool it? Something else?

I had a bunch of handwashing stations on all entrances to the slimier parts of the world, so that when they came back they'd get cleaned up. Also handwashing when leaving the bathrooms, and when entering food areas, but still everyone was just drenched in slimelung and everyone's immune%'s were just plummeting over the last ten cycles. Do showers actually do something now, aside from remove the 'grimy' tag or whatever?

Also, suddenly discovering a 'polluted oxygen geyser' that just blasted disease throughout my entire base might have had something to do with it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

Why would you need a geyser in sandbox mode?

Sorry, I meant debug mode.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I just got to the 50th cycle of my game, and suddenly half my population caught slimelung. It turns out that putting polluted water through the water sieve to recycle it doesn't actually get rid of the slimelung germs. How does everyone deal with keeping the water clean? Heat it up to some certain temperature to kill everything in it? Cool it? Something else?

I had a bunch of handwashing stations on all entrances to the slimier parts of the world, so that when they came back they'd get cleaned up. Also handwashing when leaving the bathrooms, and when entering food areas, but still everyone was just drenched in slimelung and everyone's immune%'s were just plummeting over the last ten cycles. Do showers actually do something now, aside from remove the 'grimy' tag or whatever?

Also, suddenly discovering a 'polluted oxygen geyser' that just blasted disease throughout my entire base might have had something to do with it.

The game doesn’t explain this well, but there are two types of germs: surface germs and airborne germs. Food poisoning germ is a surface germ (it always sticks to surfaces like buildings, ladders, etc.) so it can be gotten rid of via washing. Slime lung is an airborne germ and the only way to get rid of it is via keeping the air clean (and decontaminating it using chlorine gas).

The reason slimelung is confusing is because dupes breathe it in, and when dupes have enough of the germ inside them, their immune system starts to weaken. But the game UI shows the germ as green dots *on* them, but then they shower or wash their hands and it doesn’t go away so then the player is like “wtf is going on”.

Basically, the best way to combat slimelung is to keep each dupe’s exposure to it limited. I do this by cycling them as they work through the slime biome. Team 1 does some work, then I change the access permissions on the doors so that Team 2 starts working while Team 1 recovers.

Anyway, the whole germ system is pretty awful. It needs a redesign.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, the whole germ system is pretty awful. It needs a redesign.

Ahh, thanks for that. Yeah, I figured tons of handwashing and air deodorizers would help, but handwashing is basically for a germ that doesn't do anything yet(?), and deodorizer doesn't even kill germs, it just gets rid of the polluted air bad thoughts.

Ugh.

I gotta learn how to use chlorine.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

there is a difference between dirty and germy. people conflate the two. polluted water or oxygen is always dirty but sometimes is germy too. the water sieve and deoderizer gets rid of the dirty part but not the germy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ravendas posted:

Ahh, thanks for that. Yeah, I figured tons of handwashing and air deodorizers would help, but handwashing is basically for a germ that doesn't do anything yet(?), and deodorizer doesn't even kill germs, it just gets rid of the polluted air bad thoughts.

Ugh.

I gotta learn how to use chlorine.

The deodorizer kills the environment that slimelung propagates in, polluted oxygen. So if you've got it sitting at the transition point between your base and the slime biome, it's doing a fine job of preventing potentially heavily germ-laden gas from getting in. And since polluted oxygen is heavier than normal oxygen, you could build an up-and-over style airlock to prevent it from leaking in.

You still have to deal with out-gassing from your polluted water reservoir but it cuts down on the exposure immensely.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Sage Grimm posted:

The deodorizer kills the environment that slimelung propagates in, polluted oxygen. So if you've got it sitting at the transition point between your base and the slime biome, it's doing a fine job of preventing potentially heavily germ-laden gas from getting in. And since polluted oxygen is heavier than normal oxygen, you could build an up-and-over style airlock to prevent it from leaking in.

You still have to deal with out-gassing from your polluted water reservoir but it cuts down on the exposure immensely.

Okay, yeah. I had deodorizers at every 'clean side' entrance (manual airlocks, two in a row), and in the airlocks themselves. Plus deodorizers in the bathrooms, and around compost piles. I made slime high priority to put in a few select boxes just inside the slime biome, where I did the slime processing to get more algae. Slime doesn't let off quite so much slimelung when it's compressed like that I think I read. I was trying as much as I could to prevent disease, then I noticed my 'clean' water reservoir had a few thousand germs per tile. Also, I unearthed that polluted oxygen vent that blasted my entire base. Within 3 cycles of that, I went from 0 slimelung patients to 8.

Does anyone clean the germs in their water? Like, early on in the game? I don't mean some late game high end automated lava dispensing steam condensing with wheezeworts magic, I mean is there anything simpler you could do earlier in the game to keep it clean? Or is it not necessary?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You really only need to worry about cleaning your water if you're using it for food and you're reprocessing polluted water. The machine itself does not do that for you so poop water's germs will just take over your reservoirs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I guess germ-filled water fine for showers and toilets if you have a sink station using normal water set up.

I'm guessing putting germ-filled water into electrolyzers is a bad, bad idea?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I guess germ-filled water fine for showers and toilets if you have a sink station using normal water set up.

Only if it's slimelung. Food poisoning doesn't propagate through the air, just on surfaces AFAIK.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And even then you're putting slimelung in an environment that kills it, then typically pumping it to the center of your base surrounded by even more oxygen. It's not AS big a deal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I fully expect this to get fixed btw.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Alkydere posted:

At least this says it will put food poisoning germs in the air, but not slimelung: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Electrolyzer

I never know if the info on those pages are dated though.

Is there always an exposed natural gas vent nearby? The last three colonies I started had one visible by the time I dug to the edges of the starting area. This time I have an exposed natural gas vent to the north, and a hydrogen vent I dug up to the south, which means I'll be rolling in electricity once I get it all set up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I fully expect this to get fixed btw.

Honestly I think they'd need to make sterilizing water easier before they did that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Which ultimately boils (heh) down to having more methods of cooling down your overall asteroid that's not reliant on finding entropy-defying machines in the icy biomes or making your own from simulation errors.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Which ultimately boils (heh) down to having more methods of cooling down your overall asteroid that's not reliant on finding entropy-defying machines in the icy biomes or making your own from simulation errors.

Or maybe a machine that takes bleachstone/chlorine gas to do the job?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

Or maybe a machine that takes bleachstone/chlorine gas to do the job?
Yeah, bleach/chlorine would make sense.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Do you folks want stuff about the latest preview in spoiler tags?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Looks like they are changing algae terrariums. They now output the vast majority of their water intake as polluted water, making them way more efficient. Currently bugged though so it will take a few patches to go into effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Looks like they are changing algae terrariums. They now output the vast majority of their water intake as polluted water, making them way more efficient. Currently bugged though so it will take a few patches to go into effect.

Will it be able to take polluted water? I always just put a few tiles just below the surface of the water and float my algae terrariums in some clean water. After the first water supply, they never need anymore since they're sitting in it. I'd hate for that functionality to be removed.

And yeah, a water sterilizing machine would be nice, and filling it with bleachstone makes sense.