Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

metasynthetic posted:

Are there any limitations on how many heavy wire wall joints work properly on a circuit? I have a circuit leading away from my generator rooms which passes through 3 heavy plates before eventually reaching a transformer. On first install it worked fine but eventually stopped for no reason I could discern. Rebuilding the circuit, sometimes it works again sometimes it doesn't. My max power draw is nowhere near enough to overload heavy wire.

wall joints can be buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I picked up this game a few days ago after seeing the hardcore engineering stuff in it and lost way too many hours. I was afraid of slime for my first couple of attempts because I was reading about it and people were talking about the hardcore airlock setups they built to prevent even a single slimelung germ from entering their base. But when I found out that dupes only get sick when they reach 0% immunity (I figured it was x% chance of getting sick when exposed per unit time) it felt a lot less dangerous.

I built a simpler airlock setup with two sealed rooms with deodorizers and a washbasin and I think even that was more than I needed. The closest to danger I got was taking too long to pull my best miner out of the scum zone and she hit 3% immunity before things turned around.

When I was digging I suddenly got a notice about overheat damage and thought I hosed up and the electrical system in my base became overloaded and was going to burn everything down. But it turns out I uncovered some ruins and now I'm really eager to find out what's inside.

This puft doesn't seem too bothered by being in a vacuum.

On my second base I had a character suffering from food poisoning die in a pocket of CO2 in the poorly-ventilated bathroom because she was too occupied with making GBS threads to go take a breather. On my current attempt I haven't had a single case of sickness since I put handwashing stations in the kitchen and bathroom.

Here's my slime biome entrance.

Is there a good way to drain liquid from natural pockets? I would like to drain that pocket of stankwater into my scum reservoir. I was expecting there to be a way of feeding pipes via gravity but it looks like you can only create a flow with pumps. The reason the lower floor of my base is flooded is because I purposefully drained a couple of water pockets into it so I could pump it into a proper cistern but I'm sure there had to have been a better way.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Pump powered by a battery and hamster wheel is my go-to adhoc 'move liquids' solution.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not sure if there's a better way to drain pockets of stankwater than having a dupe climb in there and build a drainage pipe. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No gravity doesn’t seem to work in pipes. Best method I’ve found is a temporary pump + battery + hamster wheel to empty it until it’s shallow enough to mop up the scraps.

Also everyone seems to say the showers are currently either broken or of very minimum value.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No gravity doesn’t seem to work in pipes. Best method I’ve found is a temporary pump + battery + hamster wheel to empty it until it’s shallow enough to mop up the scraps.

Also everyone seems to say the showers are currently either broken or of very minimum value.

yeah, that's what I meant, pipe that also has a pump attached to it.

The hardest thing for me to figure out in this game is to remember to make smaller local power grids so I don't melt the wires. Too many other games let you just put power down anywhere. Tough habit to break.

I'll have to remember the smart battery trick for my coal generators. Don't want that thing pumping out juice when I don't need it.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you really don't want to build a pump and that isn't a high traffic area then you could build a sluice to move the water into the tank. Block off the other parts with walls, make a one tile wide channel from the stairway to the tank, and then mine the bottom out of the lake.

E. Showers don't work? drat, all the water I have been wasting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Showers don't work? drat, all the water I have been wasting.

They seem to get rid of the "grungy" status effect but I'm not sure what that actually does.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks; I think a pump is the simplest way since I can hook it into the pipes that are right there. I think I need to get it into my head that I can get my dupes to build ladders into liquid and build stuff in it just fine even if they're not exactly thrilled to do so.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Don't underestimate a pitcher pump & bottle emptier set to "autobottle". Dupes can move 200+kg of water at a time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Grimy debuff does nothing at least not right now, and the only thing the shower does is remove it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Is there a good way to drain liquid from natural pockets? I would like to drain that pocket of stankwater into my scum reservoir.

Don't do that, because the polluted water in your scum reservoir (the one coming from the toilets) has germs in it, whereas the polluted water you find out in the slime biome doesn't. So if you keep them separate, you can at a later date safely run the "clean" polluted water through a sieve and turn it into clean, potable water.

Similarly, the polluted water outputted by natural gas generators is germ-free, whereas the one outputted by algae distillers has germs, so keep them separate.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Can I disinfect the water? I was figuring the sieve would take care of that.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
You have to heat/cool it enough to kill germs

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Isn’t there something with bleach stones that’ll disinfect it, or is that just disinfecting air?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

BattleMaster posted:

I picked up this game a few days ago after seeing the hardcore engineering stuff in it and lost way too many hours. I was afraid of slime for my first couple of attempts because I was reading about it and people were talking about the hardcore airlock setups they built to prevent even a single slimelung germ from entering their base. But when I found out that dupes only get sick when they reach 0% immunity (I figured it was x% chance of getting sick when exposed per unit time) it felt a lot less dangerous.

I built a simpler airlock setup with two sealed rooms with deodorizers and a washbasin and I think even that was more than I needed. The closest to danger I got was taking too long to pull my best miner out of the scum zone and she hit 3% immunity before things turned around.

When I was digging I suddenly got a notice about overheat damage and thought I hosed up and the electrical system in my base became overloaded and was going to burn everything down. But it turns out I uncovered some ruins and now I'm really eager to find out what's inside.

This puft doesn't seem too bothered by being in a vacuum.

On my second base I had a character suffering from food poisoning die in a pocket of CO2 in the poorly-ventilated bathroom because she was too occupied with making GBS threads to go take a breather. On my current attempt I haven't had a single case of sickness since I put handwashing stations in the kitchen and bathroom.

Here's my slime biome entrance.

Is there a good way to drain liquid from natural pockets? I would like to drain that pocket of stankwater into my scum reservoir. I was expecting there to be a way of feeding pipes via gravity but it looks like you can only create a flow with pumps. The reason the lower floor of my base is flooded is because I purposefully drained a couple of water pockets into it so I could pump it into a proper cistern but I'm sure there had to have been a better way.

I dunno if you will read this in time, but water has weight, and filling your scum tank up increases the chance of pressure damage to one of your tiles (assuming it is sandstone tiles, it will be sooner than later).

The good news is you can make a tank out of airflow tiles! They don’t break under liquid pressure and actually hold liquids just fine! Just don’t think about it.

As far as transferring that natural pocket of piss-water, you can build a tile-tunnel with enough room for a Dupe to run down, and lead it back to your tank, and since gravity is your friend (and there won’t be enough liquid pressure to be a problem).

Alternatively, if you built good circuits, just run some pipe and wire out to it and install a pump, tie it to the same pipes as your algae distillers.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When I used conductive wire on the output, it still tried to pump well over 2kW out, but naturally the wires melted.

Maybe it’s just a safe stepdown from heavy wire to regular wire with a built in 1000J battery?

That's the reason to use a transformer - provide a way to step off the heavi-watt circuits and onto wiring that doesn't have the vicious decor destroying ugliness.

Regular wire can handle a load of 1000W or less. Conductive wire can handle 2KW. You can hook up all the devices you want to the circuit but once the active power consumption goes over 1KW for regular wire it will start taking overload damage.

Heavi-watt wire is meant to act as a backbone wire from your main generating stations and then get stepped down to much smaller power grids. I've seen folks run the big wire up one side of their colony or down along the bottom and then split off from there with transformers. Keep in mind that you'll get a fair amount of heat from the transformers so blocking them off with some insulated tile helps.

Internally, the transformer has a 1000W battery that it fills up from the high power side to deliver to the low power side. You can watch it fill up or drain if you shut off your generators. To power bigger machinery successfully you can still use a transformer and conductive wire (2KW load), but you will want to put a battery after the transformer so that the battery can dump the requested energy onto the circuit. It'll look like this:

Heavi-Watt wire Transformer
================== O-o ----- Battery ---- [LOAD]

Even a small battery is enough to run an aquatuner (1.2KW) load for a bit. The transfomer will keep dumping in 1KW and the battery can take up the slack until it is fully depleted.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah but it can actually supply more than 1kw on the output, just not more than 1kw to any one device. That’s what we were talking about.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It all makes sense now, but I guess my mistake (and apparently some others') was I took “can’t power a single device that needs more than 1000W” and “capacity: 1000J” and somehow turned that into “will protect the output from ever going over 1000W” (and melting regular wire).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

wait, I thought liquids went straight through airflow tiles too?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Literally Kermit posted:

I dunno if you will read this in time, but water has weight, and filling your scum tank up increases the chance of pressure damage to one of your tiles (assuming it is sandstone tiles, it will be sooner than later).

The good news is you can make a tank out of airflow tiles! They don’t break under liquid pressure and actually hold liquids just fine! Just don’t think about it.

As far as transferring that natural pocket of piss-water, you can build a tile-tunnel with enough room for a Dupe to run down, and lead it back to your tank, and since gravity is your friend (and there won’t be enough liquid pressure to be a problem).

Alternatively, if you built good circuits, just run some pipe and wire out to it and install a pump, tie it to the same pipes as your algae distillers.

Thanks; I added a pressure relief to the top of the tank. It was too late to build the whole thing out of them though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Speedball posted:

No, mesh tiles let both through.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks; I added a pressure relief to the top of the tank. It was too late to build the whole thing out of them though.

It’s never too late!

My point was the bottom of your POH2O tank is basically tissue paper right now. It will crack and there will be piss everywhere. You can do a cheap fix for a tank that size if you add another layer of tiles under it.

Enough air pressure can also cause tiles to crack but you’ll need a special high pressure vent for that kind of shenanigans :getin:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure that they changed water pressure quite a while ago to the point that I've never had issues with 5+ tall water supported by a single tile.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

depends on the material.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I'm generally using plain old sandstone but a second layer of tiles certainly can't hurt.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Speedball posted:

Nope! Both tiles have the same cost in materials and decor penalty, but only the mesh tile allows both gases and liquids through!

This makes airflow tiles useful for making tanks above steam vents, probably, I dunno, trying to make that magic happen but not having luck

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The problem is if it's a straight up and down tank, the first steam to condense adds a water barrier on top of the airflow tiles and currently ONI doesn't bubble gas through in its physics calculations. The rest of the steam would condense in the bottom section.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My hydroponic tiles that have worked well for like 20 or 30 cycles are now not staying liquid full. Fluid goes up into the pipe just before and fills it up full right before it and then nothing in the hydroponic tile pipe or tile contents. Flux in liquid view is nowhere near 10kg/s, its all little bits moving around. Am I missing some weird edge case or is there any obvious way to rejigger without just rebuilding the pipes from the water header?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

zedprime posted:

My hydroponic tiles that have worked well for like 20 or 30 cycles are now not staying liquid full. Fluid goes up into the pipe just before and fills it up full right before it and then nothing in the hydroponic tile pipe or tile contents. Flux in liquid view is nowhere near 10kg/s, its all little bits moving around. Am I missing some weird edge case or is there any obvious way to rejigger without just rebuilding the pipes from the water header?

edge case, pipes are glitchy. the safest way to is make individual little pipes into each tile. not always necessary but sometimes.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
How do I tame a hot polluted oxygen geyser, with a cool steam geyser nearby? I haven't found the dormancy cycles for either yet. I do have a natural gas geyser a biome or two away, but that'd be inconvenient to incorporate.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Made more progress today, my new colony is actually pretty stable; it’s produces enough oxygen, making plenty of food, created an elaborate carbon dioxide pumping system to transfer it to an off site tank, and my dupes are pretty happy. I really think I’m getting the hang of it.

At least I did up until I had to deal with a new problem, a problem I’ve never had to deal with before. Controlling temperature. The rooms I’m growing food in are starting to die because they’re 1 degree over their growth limit, I’ve tried pipping cooler air into the room they’re in, but that hasn’t really solved anything. I was thinking of dicking around with temp shift plates and wall tiles, but I have no idea how they work. Any tips?

Or some method of cooling off machines.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Wheezeworts are the obvious answer. Be sure your power generating machines are not near your plants. Move away from Algae Deorderizers into electrolyzers, the Algae Deorderizers create heat.

-Ms. Easy Peasy

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lorini posted:

Wheezeworts are the obvious answer. Be sure your power generating machines are not near your plants. Move away from Algae Deorderizers into electrolyzers, the Algae Deorderizers create heat.

-Ms. Easy Peasy

I don't have any ice biomes near me, I've already moved on to electrolyzers and they a good distant away from my farms. I'm screwed aren't I? :supaburn:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

machine heat strats

make machines out of gold
spread machines a tile or two apart
use temp shift plates to spread heat evenly
few machines should run 24/7.
electroylzers (and gas pumps) shouldn't run non stop, they should backup sometimes and net downtime should allow machine temp to balance out. the hottest thing about electrolyzers is the actual gas and if that is pumped out fast enough, it shouldn't overheat the machines.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Back Hack posted:

I don't have any ice biomes near me
Then get to diggin' and walkin'! :v:

Check the location of your compost heaps, they drop hot dirt now.

I try to “frame” my starter biome base in abyssalite tiles, but I’m not sure if that’s just a placebo or not.

Just to make sure, you know about the heat overlay, right?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

-Ms. Easy Peasy

The algae deoxidizers produce 30C oxygen. The electrolyzers -- 70C. Why are they a better choice for heat management?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Has there been an ETA put out on when this game will have a campaign mode? I like to play this game once every 3 patches or so to keep it fresh but I'd really like to see a story/campaign so it feels like there's more of a purpose than mining out the entire map or getting so many dupes that it crashes frequently.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

insta posted:

The algae deoxidizers produce 30C oxygen. The electrolyzers -- 70C. Why are they a better choice for heat management?

For a full explanation, watch this . That's where I got the advice from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Loiku posted:

Has there been an ETA put out on when this game will have a campaign mode? I like to play this game once every 3 patches or so to keep it fresh but I'd really like to see a story/campaign so it feels like there's more of a purpose than mining out the entire map or getting so many dupes that it crashes frequently.

I have not seen a roadmap that includes a campaign.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/81626-oxygen-not-included-roadmap/