Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Let us make diapers out of reeds, hell we have steam already let us have a whole dry cleaning setup. ONI 2 in 30 years is gonna have some neat poo poo probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You could argue that atmo suits come with diapers. And surely the suit docks have some sort of cleaning feature. Right?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Unless half a dozen dupes all went in the same tile you should still be able to mop it up, as long as it's 150kg or less.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Similar to co2 and fart gas, if a dupe pisses themsleves in an atmo suit it just hangs in there with them until they take it off, then it goes all over your airlock floor.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

By "airlock" I assume you mean "pokeshell arena", aka the entrance to Valhalla

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

“Suit Bay” maybe, or ready room. Sealed exit.

I internally call it an airlock even though there’s not really any such thing in ONI. I usually have a mesh floor and a lower level to house the gas pump and a sweepy for piss.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Its been 450 cycles and I haven't launched a rocket yet I'm really slacking.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Black Noise posted:

Its been 450 cycles and I haven't launched a rocket yet I'm really slacking.

nah it took me like 600+ days to get to that point on my first run. you can check my post here to learn from my mistakes a few months ago

I'm on a trip but I'm ready for a new colony with Spaced Out turned on this time. there's so much going on with this game and the fact that they're going to be adding more DLC makes me feel like it was a good time to get in

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've played this on and off for a couple years and never launched a rocket. Haven't done it in Factorio either. Or RimWorld. I seem to be allergic to rockets.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Deep Freezer attempt

Dupes you have to hurry and get this rot out of here! The brine will freeze and create a stank chamber!

They aren't sweeping it... The rot pile container says no pending deliveries :negative:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

About 10 patches ago they removed the ability to grab things diagonally like that. Auto sweeper only.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Does brine count as a sterile atmosphere?
With that build, may I suggest liquid chlorine? If that is counted as a sterile atmosphere, though it really should...

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IIRC it's only CO2 and chlorine. Even vacuum doesn't count.

The unpowered fridges in a CO2 pit cooled by a hydrogen loop via thermal regulator build is really easy to set up and you can make it with copper (cool the regulator with a passive water loop into your main tank). Gold can run pretty much forever being air cooled if the things around it aren't going to be a problem by getting warm.

More recently I've been using a 3-wide opening (gives more room for the sweeper to deliver stuff above the pit) and adding a thermo sensor controlled power switch to turn the fridges on when the temperature gets above deep freeze, so if the cooling loop fails the fridges will at least slow down the spoilage.

I've only ever used a single loop with no buffer storage but if you wanted a lot of safety for temperature you could probably fill up a gas tank with -33C hydrogen too.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Xerol posted:

IIRC it's only CO2 and chlorine. Even vacuum doesn't count.

Hydrogen also counts and is my preferred medium, since there's basically no chance of me accidentally condensing of freezing it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The nice thing about the CO2 pit is it will fill up naturally since CO2 sinks, and the only other thing that would potentially get in there* is chlorine which is also not a problem.

*Assuming you keep the base pressurized to 1.2+kg oxygen. If you keep 1.8kg of CO2 in there, rotten foods can't offgas polluted oxygen either.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This was supposed to be a more casual laid-back playthrough and yet...

So I started with the idea of only hiring innately stylish dupes, making sure everyone had nice clothes, and decorating everywhere, covering the whole base in wallpaper, and so on. Finding the starting 3 took long enough but I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to get dupes out of the pod that have the simple properties of A: innately stylish and B: at least 2 useful interest skills. I'm on cycle 426 and I have 8 dupes, none of which have ideal skill layouts. There isn't enough labor to wallpaper the entire base. The only good news is the bad skill choices aren't having too much of an impact since everyone always has max decor bonus (and I have good food).

I really wish we could just buy filament, I'd throw money at that because it took all my duplicate trade-ins from about the last 20 weeks to get all the wallpaper I wanted. And I'd really like to be able to buy more statues at some point too, but when all the duplicates you get are common quality worth 100 filament and almost all of the items are at least decent quality costing 1600 or more to print, it makes me wonder why have the system at all if you're not going to have a way to get more. And that's even assuming you get duplicates, I'm not going to trade in my only copy of an item even if it's not one I really want at the moment, just to get 1/16th of an item I do want right now. I know they recently scrapped some plans related to the wardrobe system; at this point I'd buy a DLC just to unlock all the cosmetics.

At least my pod room looks cool.

e: This map is kind of a fun disaster too - there was a lot of overpressurized oil that broke through the abyssalite around A) the petrified fossil, so that's full of sour gas now, and B) a chlorine geode which had about 30 tiles of 800kg chlorine. I'm pumping all the chlorine into a room with a double thermo regulator hydrogen gas loop, to liquefy it all. I don't think I made the room big enough (it is 68 tiles, 17x4 and already starting to fill up the 2nd layer).

It's got hot rocks everywhere too, so I'm mostly using that for power, by pumping in the water from a hot water + hot salt water geyser, and also using a cool salt slush geyser's output as smelter coolant, which comes out around 60-90C depending on what I'm smelting and that output also gets dumped into the steam room. A portion of the steam turbine's output goes into a cooling chamber which is serving as my main water supply.

Seed if anyone wants it: V-VOLCA-C-916046543-0-3A

e2: And the natural gas geyser spawned between the oil biome and a drecko biome, so that's all 80C too. Cool. Just great.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 30, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shoulda read more before starting a new game, I skipped Spaced Out since I didn't like the idea of having to gently caress with a bunch of tiny asteroids but apparently you can have the old big asteroid instead?? drat.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Grand Fromage posted:

Shoulda read more before starting a new game, I skipped Spaced Out since I didn't like the idea of having to gently caress with a bunch of tiny asteroids but apparently you can have the old big asteroid instead?? drat.

You still have the itty bitty ones, but you don't have to deal until late game where they effectively replace the old rocket system and make you have to land. You can largely just land, build a rocket pad, take what you need and go. There is also one 'linked' asteroid that usually has the uranium/oil to jump into mid-late game, which is having a practice colony that you teleport dupes to, and can pipe in oxygen/water easily (and get useful stuff back easily).
By the time you've done that, you'll be ready to land and develop an asteroid to a self-sustaining colonies (or just shoot food at it every so often), and then you'll not wqant to bother with the base game any more.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah one of the first choices on starting a new game is picking a "classic" or "spaced out" start, classic gives you a vanilla-style large asteroid to start on which has the traditional oil biome; spaced out puts the oil biome on the teleporter asteroid. They also have different starting asteroid choices, but the asteroids are all smaller in a SO start. The choice of starting asteroid also influences the teleporter asteroid, so it's important to pay attention to both the type of and traits of the asteroids on the start screen. (IIRC the classic-style starter world also has no traits on the default selection.)

Base news: I got tired of squinting at the default color scale when figuring out what's going on in my volcanic sauna, so I made a custom temperature profile for the temperature thresholds mod.

With the important points being light blue at 97C, yellow at 103C (water flashes to steam, and giving a sharp contrast to the light blue), green at 200C (maximum power from a steam turbine), and red at 203C (to give a sharp contrast between "perfect" and "too hot"). And I added the hot point of the scale as the melting point of lead so I don't melt any more power wires or tempshift plates by accident. I might get rid of the "Ice" color point and add one for pwater evaporation point (you can only have 7 colors, as far as I can tell this is a game limitation and nothing the mod can change).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You know, I’m pretty sure I have well over 1000 hours in this game, and I just noticed today that dupes can eat lettuce. I always thought it was an ingredient.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a mod that replaces the research screen UI with something better? The single huge-rear end screen is so unwieldy and I hate it.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
There's a lot of awful issues with the UI, I feel, and it's something that I find pretty frustrating. I have a lot of hours in the game, and I stll think it's great, but I really wish they'd rework a lot of the UI.

There's tiny scrollable panels that list the dupes in no useful order. You can click to sort them, but it doesn't retain the sort when closed. Some of these panels let you double-click to jump to a dupe, but most don't.

You can't easily find out which dupes are the crew for a given rocket - it's just a list of checkboxes, usually pretty long once you've been in space for ages and have 30 dupes. It's very easy to miss a check and leave too many dupes in a crew so they suffocate or starve once they're out there.

The Comestibles panel is a UI nightmare, scrolling weirdly in two dimensions.

Panels need to be resizeable. Many panels block other panels when they're open.

Often the scrolling just breaks, too.

Some building settings (e.g. filter limits) can be copied to other instances of the building. Some (e.g. Triage Cot %) cannot.

Default building materials seem to always be the worst choice, somehow. Far too much valuable steel, thermium, tungsten, etc gets used unnecessarily on unimportant buildings unless you continuously check what's active.

I know there's mods that help to fix some of the above, but those break or stop being maintained, and they're hard to find.

minema
May 31, 2011
I finally started playing this game after years of it being un-played in my Steam library and man it's great!

This is my second colony attempt (first one had some breathing issues much earlier) on Cycle 100. I've not looked anything up other than basic info that the game doesn't tell you or clarifying something I'm not sure about.

It's obviously incredibly bad in many ways and probably many more ways I don't even know about! The glaring issue is obviously food, still on fried mush bars which are terrible, planning on getting farming and ranching set up on the right side as my next job.

The oxygen generation is probably too overpowered. I initially set it up in the hopes I'd be able to make enough hydrogen to power the base but trial and error found the best I could do was make a self-powered loop with a little left over. The coal generator seems to do well enough on the rest, especially now I've not got everything looped in to one huge circuit.

Also on the to do list is a new bathroom area with more toilets and a revamp of the plumbing system. Cooling is currently done by hauling ice in and letting it melt in that cooling tank, will probably need to start pumping the water out.

The wastewater room caused me a lot of concern for a while because it was slowly filling with incredibly high pressure stinky gas and I didn't know what would happen when I breached it, but aside from some popped eardrums everyone seems okay. Not sure what to do with it now.

There's also a lot of weird spaces that I'm not using and nothing about the layout is efficient! I started off using the caverns as rooms and linking rather than digging big areas out, which is why everything is such a strange shape. I don't want to expand into slime zones yet because I haven't worked out how to deal with the slime output other than shoving it in a death-room somewhere.

Like I say, I'm really enjoying the trial and error nature of playing the game at the moment because it's so satisfying when something does work out, but I thought experienced people might enjoy looking back at what it's like being new...

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

That's really good :D
Neater than I am now
One tip they don't mention - add a plant in a pot and a water cooler (disabled) in the dining hall, and it becomes a Great Hall with an extra +3 morale. Easy way to keep dupes happier for longer.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

minema posted:

This is my second colony attempt (first one had some breathing issues much earlier) on Cycle 100.
I have a bad habit of being overly meticulous when I play games like this. Here's my colony at 100 - with maybe 2/3 or more of my time in game spent paused.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think I've ever managed to get transit tubes up and running before cycle 500, let alone 100. Frankly, I usually skip them altogether since I'm playing on smaller Spaced Out maps.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
the gently caress? transit tubes?

why have you even built those until long after all your projects possibly needing them have been completed for 600 cycles and now you're just looking for vanity ways to visit the slickster ranches?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

You’re going for a max achievement run and want to get it ticked off the list sooner rather than later

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Transit tubes rule, if you can put together the plastic for them, and then the electricity it now costs to have dupes ride instead of hoof it.

Best and simplest unmodded way to create an access point without gas exchange, for sure.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I'm trying to make a "double steam" geyser engine. One geyser is hot (500 degree) and located in a cold biome, the other is a cold geyser (110 degree) and located in the oil biome.

The problem I'm having is that despite the corridor around the hot geyser being encased in insulated ceramic tile, somehow the 500 degree steam is getting to be less than 125 degrees by the time it hits the engine, and it thus never starts pumping. The new 500 degree steam can't release as there's too much pressure near the top, even though the steam there is a good 400 degrees or so.

Am I on the right track with my dig-outs and double-walling plans here? Or do I need some sort of heat piping like more ladder? Or am I losing heat some other way -- does the "cold" steam merge only inside the engine, or does it affect the other chamber somehow?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Abyssalite isn't as good of an insulator as it appears. If it's doublewalled, the heat leaking is neglible, but the inner layer will still need to get up to temp.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

How warm is the abyssalite? If it's below ~98C it's going to experience flaking when the steam hits it. If you watch in the liquid or gas overlay at slow speed you can probably watch it happen - a small (~5kg) packet will condense and re-flash to steam very quickly, dropping the temperature significantly in the process.

Gases by themselves aren't going to even out in temperature very efficiently anyway, if you want it to mix at a reasonable rate you need some other kind of transfer medium - petroleum in a radiant pipe loop (crude oil will break the pipes when it gets above 404C) is probably the best option, hydrogen in a radiant gas pipe loop would also work but be slower (just way less mass per packet), or diamond/refined metal on a conveyor rail loop would also work. You could also add tempshift plates but the corridor would need to be at least 3 wide so the plates don't touch the walls - even with insulated tiles, tempshift plates will still transfer temperature to (and from) the tiles.

Also I'm pretty sure one inlet isn't going to be enough to handle the full throughput of the hot steam vent, even the averaged output including dormant periods is going to be more than 400g/s (2kg/s total divided by the 5 inlets).

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
More turbines could help. Put a heat source in there too. Some use batteries.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Xerol posted:

How warm is the abyssalite? If it's below ~98C it's going to experience flaking when the steam hits it. If you watch in the liquid or gas overlay at slow speed you can probably watch it happen - a small (~5kg) packet will condense and re-flash to steam very quickly, dropping the temperature significantly in the process.

Gases by themselves aren't going to even out in temperature very efficiently anyway, if you want it to mix at a reasonable rate you need some other kind of transfer medium - petroleum in a radiant pipe loop (crude oil will break the pipes when it gets above 404C) is probably the best option, hydrogen in a radiant gas pipe loop would also work but be slower (just way less mass per packet), or diamond/refined metal on a conveyor rail loop would also work. You could also add tempshift plates but the corridor would need to be at least 3 wide so the plates don't touch the walls - even with insulated tiles, tempshift plates will still transfer temperature to (and from) the tiles.

Also I'm pretty sure one inlet isn't going to be enough to handle the full throughput of the hot steam vent, even the averaged output including dormant periods is going to be more than 400g/s (2kg/s total divided by the 5 inlets).

I don't think "flaking" works in that direction. As far as I know it is either a very hot gas melting a 5kg portion of a solid natural tile, or a liquid adjacent to a very hot tile (not necessarily natural or solid) boiling a 5kg packet. Water will flash to steam on hot abysallite, but the condensation of steam to water has to occur through regular heat transfer.

I really hate the term "flaking" and that the community adopted it, but what can be done. Even the terms for the two different situations that it describes are better, partial melting and partial evaporation.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I iterated on it a bit with obsidian ladders and added an aquatuner to inject some heat into the cold end. The heat is piping better (and we are losing way less to the surrounding biome through the 2x insulated ceramic).

Now there's a new problem -- the hot steam geyser on the left is overpressure at the same time as the engine tile is at vaccuum. I was naively expecting hot gas to move with somewhat reasonable speed down a 2-wide shaft (there is only steam in there), but apparently that's not the case.

Strangely the smaller steam vent seems to have no problems with pressure -- confusingly it's even up to 15kg on the intake steam tiles and still venting somehow.

Does steam just really want to travel up rather than down and to the side?

I think long-term I should make it 3-wide, add another engine, and let the two chambers mix. Though if I do that at some point only the hot geyser will be on and it'll overheat the aquatuner even when it's off unless I inject some output water.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This is the main problem with using vents for anything more than just pumping the gas out (hydrogen, natural gas, chlorine, etc.) - they overpressurize at such low pressure that you pretty much have to use them continuously. 5kg pressure isn't that much, it'll force its way down the pipe eventually but not fast enough to keep the vent from overpressurizing.

The lower vent is probably still erupting because there's water in the base tile and since cool steam comes out so, well, cool, it's condensing briefly. Since the game checks the tile 2 up and 1 right of the bottom left neutronium tile for pressure, it's seeing that water condense and immediately drop down into the tile below, so there's no pressure in the checked tile and it can keep erupting.

Making it wider just gives the hot steam a little more room to spread out but probably won't solve the problem. What might work is putting the turbine entirely on the hot side and then pumping cool steam across to bring the temperature down (I'd probably vent it on the bottom left of the lower level to give the hot steam a bit of a push towards the turbine). Although you might end up melting a high pressure gas vent so you might have to resort to tricks like putting a metal vent in a tiny blob of liquid so it doesn't overpressurize the vent.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

Making it wider just gives the hot steam a little more room to spread out but probably won't solve the problem. What might work is putting the turbine entirely on the hot side and then pumping cool steam across to bring the temperature down (I'd probably vent it on the bottom left of the lower level to give the hot steam a bit of a push towards the turbine). Although you might end up melting a high pressure gas vent so you might have to resort to tricks like putting a metal vent in a tiny blob of liquid so it doesn't overpressurize the vent.
What temperature do high pressure vents melt at?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

The lower vent is probably still erupting because there's water in the base tile and since cool steam comes out so, well, cool, it's condensing briefly. Since the game checks the tile 2 up and 1 right of the bottom left neutronium tile for pressure, it's seeing that water condense and immediately drop down into the tile below, so there's no pressure in the checked tile and it can keep erupting.
IIRC it was erupting when the water was 2 high as well.

If I coat the hot geyser in a 2-high pool of petroleum would it erupt into the liquid, similar to how a regular gas vent in a liquid works?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
High pressure vents melt at ~160C when made of plastic. Plastium can solve this problem, but it is a late game material.

Geysers can not be tricked like regular gas vents can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I have a natural gas geyser badly sealed with hydrogen and pox in the room, and it behaves like infinite storage and doesn't overpressure. Might be able to do similar if you can get hydrogen, oxygen, p.ox maybe?