Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The refrigerator requires only 120W, which is trivial.

It's also super handy in terms of automation, because you can configure it to automatically shut off a grill when it is full, which means your cook can go do other stuff rather than cooking things until the heat death of the universe.

I actually run two fridges, one mushrooms and one with bristleberries. Each is tied to its own grill. Grilled mushrooms are "everyday food" whereas berries are used to make more fancy foods for the astronauts. And thanks to automation, my cook only spends maybe one third of the day cooking, enough to keep the fridges topped off. I also have the fridges hooked up to the farm room doors, so if the fridges are full, no one has to go in and farm the fully grown mushrooms, which also saves on time and resources (esp water, with bristleberries).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So there's no way for grills to cycle through avalible recipies yet, right? You have to have a grill for every recipie unless you go back and manually change the settings each time you run out of an ingredient

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Correct. If the current recipe is out of ingredients the grill just stops, as opposed to cycling through the queued items to see which ones can be cooked.

I think this is one of the things they should look at after the next patch, because the underlying re-implementation can be easily applied to every building where stuff is crafted.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm actually really surprised that they only have one more content patch to go. Major parts of the game are still incomplete/abandoned.

Clothing is basically useless. Just use atmo suits.

Only one type of exosuit that excels at everything.

Only two types of germs/diseases.

Half the professions don't offer any benefits aside from meager skill bonuses (that become less and less relevant as the game progresses).

Hopefully they find a way to tie off these loose ends before release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shame about the grills, it seems like such an obvious thing.

I do agree that they really need to fix a lot of things, but it feels like they were focusing on making sure it was physically possible to have a self sustaining colony in the long term. With the rocketry update it feels like that has been met, although I haven't done any actual rocketry yet.

The expressions update seems like their first step towards clarifying systems, and I'm sure they will do more as time goes on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd still like robust mod support. Lots of stuff that could be done with mods.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

enraged_camel posted:

I'm actually really surprised that they only have one more content patch to go. Major parts of the game are still incomplete/abandoned.

Clothing is basically useless. Just use atmo suits.

Only one type of exosuit that excels at everything.

Only two types of germs/diseases.

Half the professions don't offer any benefits aside from meager skill bonuses (that become less and less relevant as the game progresses).

Hopefully they find a way to tie off these loose ends before release.
Honestly, stuff like that sounds exactly like the stuff they will fix when they go back and fiddle with the now existing systems.
I may be wrong though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There should be really amazing ore that you can get from space expeditions that needs to go through the ore scrubber or else your dupes can get space ebola from using it. That would make the ore scrubber actually useful

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

bird food bathtub posted:

I'd still like robust mod support. Lots of stuff that could be done with mods.

I want mod support because gently caress managing power systems, stop melting you useless loving wires.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

I want mod support because gently caress managing power systems, stop melting you useless loving wires.

It actually isn't that difficult; have power plants feed to heavy watt wires. Connect those to transformers then use small wires to actually feed things.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It actually isn't that difficult; have power plants feed to heavy watt wires. Connect those to transformers then use small wires to actually feed things.

And put a smart battery after the transformer (on the small wire) and run an automation wire to the transformer. That will fill the battery and then turn off the transformer when the battery is full to avoid run-off.

Smart batteries are basically the solution to half of the power grid issues. Coal plant running too much? Smart battery. Need to conserve power on outposts when not in use? Smart battery. Limiting use of high power things to when you have an excess of power? S M A R T B A T T E R Y

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

enraged_camel posted:

The refrigerator requires only 120W, which is trivial.

It's also super handy in terms of automation, because you can configure it to automatically shut off a grill when it is full, which means your cook can go do other stuff rather than cooking things until the heat death of the universe.

I actually run two fridges, one mushrooms and one with bristleberries. Each is tied to its own grill. Grilled mushrooms are "everyday food" whereas berries are used to make more fancy foods for the astronauts. And thanks to automation, my cook only spends maybe one third of the day cooking, enough to keep the fridges topped off. I also have the fridges hooked up to the farm room doors, so if the fridges are full, no one has to go in and farm the fully grown mushrooms, which also saves on time and resources (esp water, with bristleberries).

I'm still not 100% on the mysteries of automation yet, so I didn't realize you can actually attach automation wires to the grill. Kind of funny to imagine it, but then I remember my fridge talks to the internet so maybe it's far to real for me. Hooking doors up to it as well to prevent my dupes from unnecessarily harvesting crops seems like a good idea to, but do fully grown plants like bristle berry continue to pull in water? If so, I wonder if I could take it one step further and only supply water to my plants when the fridge drops to a certain percentage, so it only starts growing crops after they've eaten into the stores. this loving game

also how good are solar panels? my typical path for power goes: dupe wheels -> coal power that uses the CO2 produced to feed mushrooms + hatch ranch -> somewhere around here a SPOM -> I need shitloads of power, drill for oil and then stop caring about oil for the next 300 cycles while I desperately try to find reliable water sources. Maybe somewhere in there I find a hydrogen vent and stop caring about power.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Do you run the heavy watt wires up the ladders?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, but off to the side away from your main base. I usually do one transformer per level of my base, depending on the draw needs.

You just don't want them in the common areas because they are ugly as sin

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One of them. I build a statue-lined main ladder basically right off the side of the printer. It does NOT shift horizontally. The idea is to continually expand it as the base grows all the way between space and magma. There are secondary squiggly ladders built as needed that aren't planned for going the whole span of everything. These get the heavy wires and ugly stuff like insulated pipes. I keep heavy wires hidden so dupes only end up looking at them if they have to. Keeps morale up.

The squiggly ladders get the wires and aren't meant for heavy traffic. Ugly stuff goes in dead end tunnels so dupes won't go in them unless they have a reason to. That or separate rooms with one entrance. The cook doesn't ever need to look in the power box.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

this guy has a bunch of mods, one of which makes water sieve output temp equal to input temp

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/94120-mods-cairaths-mod-corner/

will definitely be trying it out for my next game

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I know, it's just irritating to micromanage all that and needing plan out my entire base design ahead of time lest one of my dupes get so angry seeing a wire he starts puking everywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of them. I build a statue-lined main ladder basically right off the side of the printer. It does NOT shift horizontally. The idea is to continually expand it as the base grows all the way between space and magma. There are secondary squiggly ladders built as needed that aren't planned for going the whole span of everything. These get the heavy wires and ugly stuff like insulated pipes. I keep heavy wires hidden so dupes only end up looking at them if they have to. Keeps morale up.
Huh! I thought it was dogma that you had multiple straight-line ladders for greater efficiency climbing/poling down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh! I thought it was dogma that you had multiple straight-line ladders for greater efficiency climbing/poling down.

No, I think more like main highways then poo poo branching off from there. Anything intended to be high traffic gets decorated. Anything ugly gets hidden in branches off of main paths that are blocked to make sure that dupes don't spend too much time running past ugly things. The squiggly ladders are built like that too; the pathing is supposed to be lovely so they don't spend too much time running by ugly, fat wires.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
ugh, did they break the old carbon dioxide airlocks?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No? Unless you're doing things like pressurizing one side inadvertently (like my current use of a cool steam vent + anti-entropic combination is doing).

EDIT: Captured the slimelung population explosion ..in a vacuum. :thunk:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 24, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Decided to try out a semi-automated algae terrarium oxygen farm just for fun. Thought they fixed water sieves, so I didn't make proper precautions and ran the piping near my farms. Turns out, water sieves still hard set output water to 40 degrees :v:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How do you guys best wrangle a natural gas geyser? I've found one, and so far have managed to wall off the vent and install a gas pump at the cost of flooding my base with natural gas and stressing 3 of my dupes to near the breaking point. How do I properly handle this next time to make it easier?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dig out one small corner at the bottom so I can see what kind of spawn it is, then leave the rest of the rock on it to keep it disabled. Build a box around it with either an "airlock" or an actual airlock using some water tiles, then build pumps/pipes stuff inside the box, and finally mine it out to let it start producing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys best wrangle a natural gas geyser? I've found one, and so far have managed to wall off the vent and install a gas pump at the cost of flooding my base with natural gas and stressing 3 of my dupes to near the breaking point. How do I properly handle this next time to make it easier?

Always box geysers in before you dig them out. If it's one that wasn't buried from the get go build a box around it, set up an air lock, and THEN gently caress around with it. Buried ones build a box that can be easily sealed, dig it out, and then decide what to do from there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I assume that the geyser was higher up than your base, hence the Natural Gas falling into it. In addition to what Toxic said, if you have a spot you really need cleared and can't dig out new space for the gasses then you can use a gas pump fed into a gas filter to just clean the air. Send the NG where you want it and the rest goes to a vent the next section over.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It's a bit too late to try boxing in the geyser. The open cave around it is fairly large, and has very thin walls between said cave and the caves around it, which are all filled with chlorine and hydrogen. I've sealed off the hall leading to the entrance I dug, and am currently building a power plant next to the gas cave with the hopes of getting that all sorted, then trying to "safely" breach the cave in a different spot to try and take advantage of it. Anyone got any good setups for their natgas plants? I've seen a bunch, but they all revolve around fertilizer production, which is not my target. I'm going for a water supply for a SPOM.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The fertilizer NG production was nerfed awhile ago. Have you analyzed the geyser with a Tenured Scientist yet? You need to do that to see if it’s worth dealing with. Nothing worse than building a SPOM around an NG geyser only to have it go dormant two cycles later.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mayveena posted:

The fertilizer NG production was nerfed awhile ago. Have you analyzed the geyser with a Tenured Scientist yet? You need to do that to see if it’s worth dealing with. Nothing worse than building a SPOM around an NG geyser only to have it go dormant two cycles later.

I think it might work out now actually because you can store the surplus NG inside storage containers. So you can stock up on it when the geyser is active, and have plenty of reserves for when it goes dormant.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I think it might work out now actually because you can store the surplus NG inside storage containers. So you can stock up on it when the geyser is active, and have plenty of reserves for when it goes dormant.

You could always do that by digging out a decent sized chamber around the geyser though. The semi-unreliable nature of natural gas geysers is why I use them first in the logic of my smart batteries, and then fall back on the coal from a hatch farm.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You could always do that by digging out a decent sized chamber around the geyser though. The semi-unreliable nature of natural gas geysers is why I use them first in the logic of my smart batteries, and then fall back on the coal from a hatch farm.

Yeah but such rooms take up massive space compared to gas containers, and they become unusable by dupes. Containers are denser and provide a cleaner solution overall.

Anyways I don't really use NG anymore myself, since coal is way too easy and a total no-brainer to set up and can last you forever as long as you take good care of your hatches.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

enraged_camel posted:

I used one of those containers when they were in experimental and they didn't work. I couldn't get anything out of them. I'll try again based on your recommendation.

(Btw, I used to be Lorini here.....I'm standardizing myself across the internet :) )

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Geysers can still produce up to a decent pressure, so even something semi-small like a 5x5 or so container around them with an air pump is enough that I've never seen a natural gas geyser stop with over-pressure. They're also usually in the rear end end of nowhere that won't interfere with base building and operations. A box around it, powered gas pump and a filter until it's pure natural gas inside then I basically never go back to it ever again, just use it as supplemental power that takes no resources and gives some supplemental polluted water for free whenever it's working. Zero maintenance past that point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Geysers can still produce up to a decent pressure, so even something semi-small like a 5x5 or so container around them with an air pump is enough that I've never seen a natural gas geyser stop with over-pressure. They're also usually in the rear end end of nowhere that won't interfere with base building and operations. A box around it, powered gas pump and a filter until it's pure natural gas inside then I basically never go back to it ever again, just use it as supplemental power that takes no resources and gives some supplemental polluted water for free whenever it's working. Zero maintenance past that point.

This hasn't been my experience. My NG geysers used to spend most of their time overpressured because I always hook my NG generators to the power grid's automation system, so they spend very little time actually running (since I also have coal power). So the gas backs up inside the pipe, and after a while the pump stops, and then the geyser. That's why it's important to store the excess gas somewhere if you rely on NG.

I mean okay, it probably doesn't matter, but I'm an efficiency freak and hate power runoff.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My current base has 2kj/cycle wasted (100% from smart battery runoff) and 880kj/cycle consumed. I am automating my SPOMs to the point where I am tapping excess hydrogen, and using staged smart batteries to preferentially burn that over NG, preferentially over coal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My SPOM is part of my main grid. The hydrogen generator never gets turned off and my electrical engineers have access to it. Its in a room with two coal and gas generators. Those turn on and off based on a smart battery. I have a pair of tanks after the geyser for when the geyser goes quiet. It's room is actually decently sized too.

Of course I also have a hatch farm. Cute little rocky guys poo poo out sooooo much coal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I could never get them to produce any coal. I don’t understand the principles of hatch farming.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tuyop posted:

I could never get them to produce any coal. I don’t understand the principles of hatch farming.

Let them, feed them and they poo poo coal. Pretty simple.

What is complicated is you need to make sure their living area is not overcrowded. A max size hatchery can support 9 hatches. If there are more they will become unhappy and stop producing coal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Specifically feed them stuff like sandstone that you have literal mountains of. AFAIK you get the same coal regardless of food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

They produce coal based on the volume of what you feed them. Giving them dupe food is low volume and makes them lay sage eggs. Those prefer organics which is lower volume. Feed them sand instead. When you get stone hatches they can eat basically any rock. If you want any meaningful volume of coal they have to eat rocks and sand. If you feed stone hatches ore you can start getting smooth hatches which eat ore and poop processed metal.