Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

Ooooh, I wonder what that other geyser is? That might answer your question depending on what it is.

Either way, your base is going to get overrun with heat. The geyser is too close and there's no insulating materials. You need to wall it off with insulated tiles sooner rather than later. Use pitcher pumps or algae terrariums to get rid of the water that's currently there.

Good catch! Also, if I'm reading the tile descriptions right the only insulating tile that actually performs insulation is ceramic but that can't be right can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You can make insulated tiles out of any raw mineral. For the purposes of holding off cool-steam vent heat, insulated sedementary tiles will work fine. If you make a double layer of them, effectively no heat will get through, but it's much more likely you're going to leak heat through your doors or whatever pipes you use to bring the water in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A double layer of normal tiles with vacuum between is also a perfect insulator.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

RandomPauI posted:

Good catch! Also, if I'm reading the tile descriptions right the only insulating tile that actually performs insulation is ceramic but that can't be right can it?

Insulated tile reduces the thermal conductivity of the material by 10x or something, so really any mineral works fine. Ceramic has the lowest base conductivity to the point it gets that extra tag but that is not important in 99% of uses, and all of those are late game. Use whatever mineral you have most of, but given a choice try not to use granite since it’s worst of all of them (best mineral for areas you want to trade heat though, like some piping/radiator stuff).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 7, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

A double layer of normal tiles with vacuum between is also a perfect insulator.

Yeah, I waaaaaay over built my outer walls by doing thick insulated walls with a vacuum layer between. Next run I’m going with just the vacuum layer I think. At this point you could dip the entire central living area in magma and it couldn’t even move the temp a degree. The only thermal transfer points are the air locks and those are kept under pressured as well.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 7, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does it need to be a literal vacuum? How do I manage that without using an air pump?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Does it need to be a literal vacuum? How do I manage that without using an air pump?

As close as possible. Heat can only transfer between 2 materials directly in the game. A vacuum means nothing can transfer the heat across the gap. It does work on the cheap level if your on a budget too. 10 mcg won't transfer very much heat to 10T of rock after all.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Seriously a single-tile thick insulated wall of sedimentary rock will be plenty. It will be red in the thermal overlay until you put literally any different temperature next to it.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

insta posted:

Seriously a single-tile thick insulated wall of sedimentary rock will be plenty. It will be red in the thermal overlay until you put literally any different temperature next to it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

If people can over-engineer a SPOM I can over-engineer my HVAC/insulation setup. :colbert:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

I'll start off with sandstone, big air gap, and sandstone for now. Any further out and I have to deal with slime and I don't have the kit for that just starting out anyways.

Edit:

I cheated a bit with the debug editor to clear out a few slime pockets. Does this look like a solid start pending my getting insulated tile??

Edit 2: I know it'll need to be sealed off completely but this is what I have for now.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 8, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

RandomPauI posted:

I'll start off with sandstone, big air gap, and sandstone for now. Any further out and I have to deal with slime and I don't have the kit for that just starting out anyways.

Edit:

I cheated a bit with the debug editor to clear out a few slime pockets. Does this look like a solid start pending my getting insulated tile??

Edit 2: I know it'll need to be sealed off completely but this is what I have for now.

Slime is no-where near as dangerous as you appear to the think it is. Mine all of it and either haul it outside your base or put a compactor under water and put it in there. Slime is bad when you have dudes constantly going out into it without controlling that. Breeching slime is fine. Even if slimelung gets into your base you only need some deodorisers to control it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I already used debug mode on this base and it's far enough from the water geyser that I'll have trouble reaching it. I think I'll use this base to try out designs and the like. Is that normal?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Slime is really threatening to you as a new player, but it gets a lot better when you:
1. In the bottom of your base, or where-ever you are funneling carbon dioxide, build a tiny pit.
2. Use a bottler for a small layer of (not polluted) water into the pit (no need to fill it up).
3. Build a storage container, have it store just slime, polluted dirt and bleach stone*. Set it to priority 8.
4. Whenever you encounter either of the above your duplicates will make a beeline to store it in that container. The tiny layer of water will make sure that the container's content won’t create gases.

You still don’t want to dig into an area with airborne slimelung yet, but that makes dealing with solid slime(lung) easier. And if you are wondering why you are storing them into a CO2 area, it is because you’ll want a mushroom farm there eventually. Might as well put the slime needed for that in range already.

*note that you can’t select them for storage until your duplicates have encountered them. If you mark something for a high priority sweep and they won’t pick it up at all, you haven’t set it to be stored into a container yet.

RandomPauI posted:

Thanks. I already used debug mode on this base and it's far enough from the water geyser that I'll have trouble reaching it. I think I'll use this base to try out designs and the like. Is that normal?

Any game where you learn a handful of new things is a success in my book. You’ll end up restarting many times in ONI anyway.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 8, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Deodorizers and time neuters slime biome. Get the polluted O2 out and all the airborne slime lung completely dies off. Send one guy out to build the deodorizer and supply it. They can take the hit, most of the time their immunity won't even budge.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Mouse over the air in the biome thigh, anything below like 10-20k slimelung wont kill them on normal difficulty, but occasionally the game will weird out and some areas will have like 100k+ per air tile and that will murder their immunity because they’ll breathe in like 500k real fast. Same if you accidentally put water with like 5mil FP in a water cooler or espresso machine (don’t ask how I know this).

Note I specially highlighted air tile, slime tiles have 800k slimelung routinely but hats not in the air. Surface germs you can wash off.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 8, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gonna start a new game today. Any good seeds?

(yea, i know about the seed browser)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

Gonna start a new game today. Any good seeds?

(yea, i know about the seed browser)
believe it or not the reddit thread is pretty decent because there's stuff the seed browser doesn't talk about (dormancy from game start, location, etc.) and often people post screenshots. I'm using this one

I'm playing on this one: 1041992293 https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/9prf2x/share_your_map_seeds_here_space_industry_update/eahv8id but I kinda messed up morale and jobs and things have changed a lot and so I may end up restarting, I was trying to research the SPOM and also mine my way into the cold biome to supply it, while speed-researching with just outhouses and meal lice like the old days and ended with all my dupes depressed, ugly crying, and out of algae for oxygen on day 25 or so.

I'm also trying to figure out a decent base layout, mazz helped a bit but I feel like things could be improved; you don't really use the space above your main corridor, in your SS they're SPOMs which never are moved into and so are just wasted space, I keep wanting a better and more efficient base in terms of the work->eat->pee->sleep->shower cycle and think maybe I need to try a vertical column with the "top" being the main corridor, the first floor being the great hall, bathrooms below, and beds underneath that. Dupes spend so much time running around it's kind of a waste of the free time two hour block, they hardly get to dance or socialize because they're rushing from place to place.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 8, 2018

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Bhodi posted:

I'm playing on this one: 1041992293

I'm so gonna use this. Cheers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Bhodi posted:

I'm also trying to figure out a decent base layout, mazz helped a bit but I feel like things could be improved; you don't really use the space above your main corridor, in your SS they're SPOMs which never are moved into and so are just wasted space, I keep wanting a better and more efficient base in terms of the work->eat->pee->sleep->shower cycle and think maybe I need to try a vertical column with the "top" being the main corridor, the first floor being the great hall, bathrooms below, and beds underneath that. Dupes spend so much time running around it's kind of a waste of the free time two hour block, they hardly get to dance or socialize because they're rushing from place to place.

You're not wrong, my living area is always kind of a toss up based on a few different ideas that never pans out entirely how'd I like, mainly do to how much space it ends up needing while working within the starting area, and the total dimensions of the space I tried to use for the seed I've talked about.

Here's where it's at currently, like I said I haven't touched the game since that previous post about the bugs so this side is still very much a WIP I had been putting off until the other side was done. I also cut my SPOM lines for a bit and didnt notice so the CO2 started creeping up into the living area compared to normally. Looks like the hotfixes are doing some weird things with the decor so it might be a little off there too.

The SPOMs aren't really in a great position but at the same time I don't really have any other structures to put there and it was almost perfect on dimensions so that worked out. It also made piping for everything much easier being paired together like that, especially when feeding oxygen to 18 atmo suits since I don't have to branch it all the way from the other end of the world like before. On a side note about the only major things left to build in this area is some expanded ranching stuff, which is probably whats going into that last space on the right once I fix the temperature over there.

You can definitely vertically orient the entire thing if you want. A part of me wanted to, but I wanted the bottom/top to be in line with the AETN/geysers of that seed in the industrial part (they fit perfectly into the 4 block model somehow) so that was more or less my limit on the design. When not limited though, making the entire base more vertical will let you use the CO2 generated by both your dupes and even power plants to feed directly into the farm areas/slicksters by gravity, kind of what you see happening in my base already, but taken even further. It's definitely a route to pursue if it's interesting, I've really come to prefer building vertically when possible for those types of designs being much more efficient.

One thing to mention though is once everyone is well trained on athletics + metal tiles, movement isn't a concern to really care about. I was worried about this originally and it's just not a limiting factor in the long run. My dupes maintain the dancing/socialized buffs without any issues, in fact standing around doing nothing for a portion of the downtime usually, and my downtime is max 3 blocks. New dupes will be slow, sure, but they catch up fast enough as to not matter, especially when you prioritize the exosuit job pipeline for the late additions.

That seed you linked having the slush almost directly down from the spawn could definitely let you work with something like my base but built more vertically along a central ladder shaft. I'd say put the shaft as close to the printer as you can and now you have the map perfectly split in half.

EDIT: God drat it looking at the screenshot and all the stuff I want to finish makes me want to play again, this is some kind of entrapment

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 9, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah this game is so brutal and awesome that way. I’m waiting for all the bugs to iron out but my last base fell pray to spaghetti plumbing and gas management and I just want to spend some time getting good at rebuilding that stuff when the emergency factor subsided.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

A lot of this game seems to reward spending 5 extra cycles doing it right first time (and the knowledge required to do that) as it will take 50 to fix later.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

A lot of this game seems to reward spending 5 extra cycles doing it right first time (and the knowledge required to do that) as it will take 50 to fix later.

My biggest concern with this is that new players don't know it's coming until they've gotten to a point where the base is not saveable. I would like to see more heat warnings for example, that would help a lot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would like a tutorial. I was going with YouTube videos but who knows what is still valid for a vid that came out last year?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The game is really about trial and error. You break things till you stop breaking them. Keep experimenting with ideas/reading tool tips/looking at online stuff and everything kind of comes in time. I think it’s part of the allure tbh, the challenge/fun really comes from the problem solving. If a tutorial taught you a specific way to manage heat you’d just think there wasn’t other approaches, which isn’t helpful in the end IMO.

It took me a solid handful of bases to just comfortably get out of the starting area, now I can do it without really a thought for the most part. There’s a very real sense of progression but rooted more in how you change your approach to stuff.

Don’t be afraid to gently caress up and start over, this game is as much a roguelike as it is a base builder in that regard.
Side note: Every map has a seed number you can see in the esc menu if you want to try it again.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 9, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mazz posted:

EDIT: God drat it looking at the screenshot and all the stuff I want to finish makes me want to play again, this is some kind of entrapment
FYI they patched qol branch on thurs-ish and the crafting/clothes menus appeared again

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I would like a tutorial. I was going with YouTube videos but who knows what is still valid for a vid that came out last year?

This is old but could still be useful to you. While trial and error is how you will get deeper and deeper into the game, it can still be helpful to know some basics. Particularly don't be afraid to turn nearly everything down or off when you get started. Starting out with full stress, germs, and food can be very frustrating.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Bhodi posted:

FYI they patched qol branch on thurs-ish and the crafting/clothes menus appeared again

I still have a CTD bug plaguing my saves that I can’t track down, doesn’t even generate the crash report screen. Really saps your will to play restarting the game every couple cycles and losing all your most recent work. I’m going see if the main release helps at all and if not try to get a dev to look at the save or something.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 9, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the link Mayveena

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The most crashes I got was from looking at a bunch of hatches in a little area. Something about having them on screen. That is the only consistent one I had.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Question about ranching. OK let's say I get a glossy drecko egg. I need to create an incubator for it right? Or will it hatch on its own? And do I need a certain level of rancher? Thanks for any help.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Sillybones posted:

The most crashes I got was from looking at a bunch of hatches in a little area. Something about having them on screen. That is the only consistent one I had.

I have somewhere in the range of 200 stone hatches in a ~10 tile wide space so this is probably a thing. Should look into that. I don’t even feed them now that I don’t need coal, they refuse to die.

Mayveena posted:

Question about ranching. OK let's say I get a glossy drecko egg. I need to create an incubator for it right? Or will it hatch on its own? And do I need a certain level of rancher? Thanks for any help.

They will hatch on their own on the ground so long as they aren’t in water, a storage container, or some kind of toxic gas I think. They take a pretty long time to hatch normally though, the incubator just speeds that up significantly. I generally don’t bother with incubators and just build my stock of glossy up naturally over like 100 cycles, as each additional speeds up the process with another egg.

As soon as a dupe takes the rancher job they can work a ranching station. Once mastered they will continue to work ranching station jobs even given another job type, just at a lower priority or whatever priority you set the ranching station. AFAIK the ranching skill doesn’t actually do anything currently so you don’t need to bother with the higher ranching jobs, but I tend to do it anyway out of perfectionism. I’ll generally do it later in the game though after more important job mastery is done.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 10, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mayveena posted:

Eggs will still hatch without an incubator. It will just take much, much longer.
You need somebody with the rancher job (in progress OR completed) to do ranching related activities. I have not had a seasoned rancher, but I think it's just a +ranching stat bonus right now.

e;f,b

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 10, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks folks. I think my eggs are getting swept up into the fridge, I'll have to check that and as I just added a new power set up I should have plenty of power for the incubator.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Two simple changes to ranching would make it so much less work: if incubators could be set to repeat, and if there was a butchery building that killed any wrangled critter dropped off there. Just set the butchery to a lower priority than your dropoffs and now you have a hands off meat producing factory.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

What is wrong with just having a trio of duplicates shooting and brutally murdering a innocent critter whilst standing inside a ranching area?! :twisted:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 10, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Incubators can be set to repeat in the beta and I think setting a critter drop off above a pool of water can do that although I forget how you get them to fall in because doors are weird.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So quick base update:

I have a fully automated farming area, complete with bristle berry, sleet wheat on a cooling cycle using an AETN, and a pincha pepperplant area. All three areas are being loaded with appropriate water temps for consistent uninterrupted flow. Automated delivery moves harvested food directly to food storage, outside my kitchen. So food is a solved issue.

I started utilizing my cold PW geyser to start generating clean water using a Thermo Regulator. Once it heats up the cold PW, I'll start deleting heat and getting in new cold PW (it's overpressure right now). That should leave me with near infinite cold water.

I have power transformers set up and fueling various parts of my base without issue. Everything is properly wired with no overloads. Power is completely stable.

I think at this point, either I start working on planetary exploration or restart. I'm not really sure what else I could do besides clean up my power production. Maybe double my dupe population and see what happens.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Starting to poke my nose out into space for the first time and it's like I'm starting all over again; trying something for a given system, figuring out how and how bad I hosed up, and iterating on it.

So I come to you, dear goons.

If space scanners are running bunker doors to protect the hideous investment of steel I put into my rocket, how do I stop the scanners themselves from getting trashed by meteors and making the entire space scanning system pointless? Already have auto diggers to clear the crap off of the scanners automatically, just can't figure out how to protect them while letting them scan.

I keep seeing something about the telescope being able to perform interstellar research but can't get it to work. I'd really love to get a jump on that research and skip steam engines, starting with a steam engine is a huge pile of infrastructure I'm going to have to rebuild when I switch to other rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
For all the hours I've put in, only now am I starting to toy with Heavi-Watt wire and transformers.

Am I right in thinking the basic idea is: use Heavi-Watt as a spine, as it were, linking your generators together; then having 1000W sub-circuits branching off from that, each with a transformer?