Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

temple posted:

You don't need to know science. Its simulation with toy physics so its fun to play around with fake chemical properties. There are no chemical reactions. At most states of matter will change. So if you understand gas, solid, liquid; you are mostly there.

And there lies the problem for me, as the daughter of a chemist, I shamefully don't really understand gas, solid and liquid :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You may be able to switch into different jobs but at the same time there are times when you'll want more than one of any given job as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

According to the experts on Discord, the Steam Turbine is impossible to make unless you’re in debug mode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Do you folks solve water placement issues before developing your base or after? ie before the 30th cycle.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rule #1: NO FARTING DUPES!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

There's way too much stuff gated behind plastic, which is endgame tech right now.

Yeah I finally made a bunch and felt like I won the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

I liked the jobs dictating priority / 1 to 5 * priority thing and I'm sad they reverted it.

I suspect it’s coming back, it just wasn’t clear enough for some players apparently. I think if they could communicate it better, it’ll be fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You folks think there’ll be more tools to combat heat eventually?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Things have changed. The upgraded jobs dupes want better food otherwise they will stress big time. Get Blossoms going ASAP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

I don't know about that.

I have 200,000kcal of food with 7 duplicants and the vast majority of that was the bug plant. I did have one row of blossoms I started, but the majority of my food was the other stuff. My stress was below 15% and I had guys at the third or 4th tier for Jobs. I just had tons of paintings all over the place, all masterpieces. That seemed to handle their issues with food quality.

Also 40 plants is enough to easily feed 6+ duplicants without any worry about food ever.

But that means you have a dedicated artist whose gone up the job tree. I don't want to have to commit to that so I do the food thing. Always interesting tradeoffs in the game :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah I always get an artist to do paintings for me. Usually creativity at 5 or 6 base level. It makes a huge difference in game to happiness and I don't notice the impact anywhere else, at least not yet. Maybe it's affecting my game once the tech tree is done?

I know my base is going to get untenable, mostly because I don't know the game that well so I always want diggers, builders, gofers, and a researcher. An artist seems like a wasted body, since I need the dupes to level up as fast as possible. But the beauty of the game is that you can play a number of ways!!! :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

I am all in favor of awesome space machinery that laughs at physics if makes this more fun, tbqh. They also could be great endgame goals in future updates! :buddy:

Count me in. I do not need a chemistry lesson when playing this game, although it's nice that it generally gets the chemistry right.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You need a farm guy to get more seeds, that said I haven't been doing a comparison. I usually bring in a farm guy once I have 6 dupes or so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fungal spores won't use planter boxes. If you are trying to minimize the space your base takes, tiles will let you only use 3 air spaces instead of four.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

Is there a "replace" option anywhere? I accidentally used gold amalgam for some wires and I want to swap it out for copper without having to babysit it.

Nope. Also assuming you have any interest in exosuits, you never want to use more copper than you absolutely need to, as atmos suits require copper.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

Chlorine can go straight to hell. :mad:

I just started with the Ranching update and it's been a blast so far. I've spawned a ton of bases because I get partway through and find something isn't working well so I start again, hoping for a better seed and building with all my new knowledge. I love the animations and art style for the duplicants and the engineering problems keep my brain buzzing long after I should have gone to sleep.

Work? Who needs that, I have dupes to manage!

The preview for the Ranching update MK II will be streamed on Twitch and Steam today on Kleientertainment's channel. 3:30pm PDT.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah it's what's getting me to consider having a Farmer off the bat to get them to Rancher ASAP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I’ll use loud sleepers, just put them somewhere else.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Does the sandbox mode let you place geysers? I played for 26 cycles and then realized there is only one water geyser on the whole map and it's really far away.

Why would you need a geyser in sandbox mode?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Do you folks want stuff about the latest preview in spoiler tags?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is a set of guides that can help with that.

Also the radiant pipes coming on Thursday might help as well, I'm getting ready to run an experiment with them (noting even after 650 hours I barely know what I am doing).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Apparently (!) you need to use abyssalite in insulated pipes and all will be fine. I haven't tried it yet, but with the new sandbox option it's fairly easy to experiment.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

From a list of today's patch:

quote:

Thermal conductivity is now a log-average instead of an average
So that may change the heat situation. I'm not smart enough to do all the fancy cooling many folks do, I just stick stuff in the ice biome and hope :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can you post a couple of images of this working?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They changed the way the mechanical doors work by the way in the test build. So if you were using the four door set up to help keep gases out, basically it doesn't work anymore. I don't know if the water lock still works, I never got that to work easily, maybe I'll have to figure it out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

My map didn't start with much water and now at cycle 36, I'm facing a severe water shortage. How can I fix this? Thanks for any help.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I used the new reveal tool in the sandbox and there's only one steam vent way far away so time for a new colony. There were only three geysers on the map total, weird.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Major changes today in the experimental branch.

quote:

Overall tuning to the power and fertilizer economies

Solar panels have a higher max wattage and sun is much much brighter so panels are at max watage for more of the day

Methane generator produces more waste heat

Petroleum generator uses less fuel

Fertilizer maker is no longer a methane power producer, now it's a fertilizer producer with a specialized recipe

Compost produces dirt, sleet wheat requires dirt. Farm station still requires fertilizer

Reduced cost of Bunker Door and Bunker Tiles.

Puft and light bug will swim up through water to avoid drowning.

Hatches no longer try to move vertically between floor tiles.

Comet plays damage sounds as it passes through any tiles/buildings, not just on destroy.

Fixed another crash when Duplicants were at the top of the simulation grid.

Fixed a simulation crash that could occur if a building was destroyed right after being placed using sandbox tools.

Fixed another debug key crash in the main menu.

Shine bugs stop glowing when they're overcrowded.

Liquids will attempt to displace their neighbour liquids if they have sufficient mass. This should _reduce_ the occurrences of a little puddle of liquid stopping the flow of a much larger river of liquid but checkboard type patterns will still ultimately result in the stall.

Shine bug egg names should no longer be capitalized when showing up in storage.

Creature pivot locators should no longer be visible.

Light bug babies should no longer all look the same.

Fixed some string formatting on the tooltips in the jobs menu.

"Unassigned" in the jobs menu is now localizable.

Meteor detector sound effects.

No more ferts for NG, early mid mode NG rest in peace.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They increased methane gas output in geysers yesterday so it looks like they want you to further explore the map in the mid game, assuming (as in every friggin colony I've started in the last month) you don't get a NG geyser nearby.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

This just popped up for me on Steam at $15 (40% off) - it seems like an interesting enough game, but is there enough replayability to make it worth it? I've watched a couple videos and it seemed interesting enough, just can't think of anything to compare it to really.

I'm at 745 hours :). And I'm sure there are plenty of people who have more hours. Depends on how you play it of course, but I like to start new colonies after awhile. It's a side scrolling base builder in the way of Rimworld and a little Factorio. I like it better than both of those; I don't care that much for the drama in Rimworld and the dryness of Factorio gets to me after awhile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Exosuits are a bit of a pain in the rear end, though - you have to run both power and oxygen out to the exosuit station, and it takes a fair amount of micromanagement or automation to get the dupes to use them effectively. They're prone to putting on the exosuit, mining one tile, then immediately returning to base - taking a different route back so that they don't pass the exosuit checkpoint and therefore don't take off the suit. You have to either carefully restrict entry/exit to the exosuit zone, or manually manage your exosuit-wearers.

That said, exosuits are very good for extended expeditions and large-scale jobs. A dupe wearing an exosuit can work continuously in hostile conditions all cycle long, as long as they're locked in the work area so they can't path to any other jobs.

Yeah although with today's cosmic upgrade I don't see how your dupes can stay on the surface without them.

Yeah they need to improve the AI of the dupes. I saw where they may increase the system requirements before the game goes to 1.0. This could mean that they would add multi threads (apparently the game is actually 32 bit) which would then certainly allow for improved dupe behavior.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Just because a game is 32bit doesn't mean it doesn't have multi threads. And I'm pretty sure ONI does.. I did a little experiment with my 80 cycle 9 dupe base the other day, checked the processor usage and it was at 18%. Restricted it to 1 core and it dropped to 10%. I don't know if that's indicative of anything but it seems like it's using multiple. Also, Process Explorer said it had 9+ threads.

OK, I thought a game needed to be 64bit to run multi-threaded, apologies.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Back Hack posted:

I just my colony death spiral out of control because I ran out of algae to feed my oxygen generators, but I got further than I’ve ever gotten before with up 18 duplicatants; so progress was made I say. My biggest struggle this whole time was dealing with power, I would never have enough of it, until I realized I’ve been messing this whole time and kind I figured this one little thing first.

Never connect your power generating devices directly into a grid; only connect it to a battery and the battery into the grid.

One day I'll even figure out what use transformers are for, I've given up understanding them and just use smart batteries and power generators.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Exactly what Sage Grimm said. Transformers are a 1 way bridge that takes 1kW from the high connection and outputs 1kW on the low connection. The low resistance wires that appear later can take 2kW before getting damaged. So to actually use those wires to their potential you need two transformers connecting to the same wire to move 2kW. Generally the high connections will connect to the same heaviwatt wire and all the generators will connect to the heaviwatt wire. This can all be hidden away since it's murder on the environment score for the local area.

Then you just set up circuits for different sectors of your base with the transformers isolating each circuit. You can use separate plain wires to each transformer instead of pairing them up and it works perfectly fine if you're not running a Thermal Aquatuner. The benefit of using the low resistance wires is that you don't have to spend as much time balancing the load across all the circuits.

First, thanks everyone for the responses. Thing is though I research the ability to use Conductive Wire as soon as possible, which supports 2K on each circuit. I use coal generators outside the base to provide electricity to where I want it. I do extensive exploration to find coal so that I can do this.

Given that, "The low resistance wires that appear later can take 2kW before getting damaged." I don't see any advantage? Look y'all I'm probably just stupid.

Edit: I just read the previous response. Sounds like the transformers let the batteries smooth out the electrical draw?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

THANKS! Now I get it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

EvilElmo posted:

This game needs a tutorial, something to explain how all the various things work.

Gonna work on a Steam guide and an accompanying video this weekend. It'll cover the first 50 cycles and how to get started. It's going to be using the simple game, because as any engineer can tell you (I worked for JPL for nearly 30 years and am the daughter of a chemist) the first thing you do when you are having trouble is simplify. I'll link to it later this weekend. The video is not a promise though as I'm brand new to videos.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is a thorough early guide for ONI. I'm still going to do mine but it will be shorter and probably refer to this one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sure although my guide won't go that far. What I'm seeing here and on reddit are people who can't even keep their dupes fed/oxygenated and my guide will be focused on the very early part of the game.

So here's the outline

Easy Peasy way of getting started in Oxygen Not Included

Dupes: Do not take mouth breathers, irritable bowel, flatulent, narcoleptic, small bladder or anemic dupes to start. You want efficient dupes. You can take some of the others later, but really don't ever take a flatulent or anemic dupe. Main skill you want is Learning for at least one, and it should be at 4+. That dupe will be your researcher. The others should have some mix of construction, digging, and farming at 3+ to start.

Start with a custom game, no stress or germs

Toilets. You need two because they will go down from time to time

Your first aim is to get power set up and then a research station

Next is research and the job board. (I know some people run jobless for awhile but if someone is having trouble, they probably are better off with dupes with a dedicated priority). Assign jobs depending on skill level, not on interest unless they work together.

Farming and then Coal after that

While you are doing all this other stuff always be digging. Because of the way gases are handled, you need to set up areas that will oxygenate 'naturally'. Dig both down and up and be sure to dig copper and coal.

Farming: Mealwood to start and then bristle blossoms. You'll really want plumbing for the liquid pump and interior decor for the floor lamps for the bristle blossoms. Be sure to look at the growth requirements, especially note that plants will not grow in heat.

You want to research the entire left side of the research tree except ventilation and you'll want to get to the third tier of farming for the hydroponic tiles, which you will use for the bristile blossoms.

For oxygen, if you dig properly you should only need one Algae deodorizer. If you really want you can use an Algae terrarium but it uses water which is not great for long term colony health.

After the initial research, research the water sieve and sanitation to eliminate need for toilets.
So that's about it. The aim is for someone to be able to get to having their dupes fed and watered so they then can either keep going with that colony or start a new colony with everything turned on and still be able to keep going. If you can't do these things then there's no need to discuss transformers cuz you'll never get there :)

e: added anemic to bad dupes.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 17, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yes as mentioned, that was an outline. The whole article will be bigger.

Unless you are in sandbox or debug mode you can't start with automation wire :).

Remember this is addressed toward people who can't even get food going without their dupes starving to death, so adding stress/germs to that situation is just going to make things worse. I will certainly encourage them to move on to the full game once they have the basics mastered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I would think a guide called Easy Peasy wouldn't include automation? I use it for sure, but really that seems like a small detail for someone who can't feed their dupes. Last time I tried to use the smelter it was a mess. I should try it again though.