Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

About the Game:

Oxygen Not Included is a space-colony simulation game. Manage your colonists and help them dig, build and maintain a subterranean asteroid base.

You'll need water, warmth, food, and oxygen to keep them alive, and even more than that to keep them happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhoSP1p18o

Get it on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/593590/

Shadow0's Indepth Guide on All Things ONI

Great document to quickly read up on various game mechanics, and learn some fundamental principles to help make running your bases a bit less of a daunting prospect. Currently incomplete, but being fleshed out (posted 19/05/20)

Agricultural Update:

quote:

Farming Features

New Items, Buildings and Recipes: Discover new plants, buildings and yummy cooking recipes. Farm food and flavour-enhancing spices, then cook them into culinary delights for your Duplicants to enjoy.
Improved Crop Tending: Build pipe systems and irrigate your crops using new farm plots. Monitor pressure, temperature, fertilization and irrigation to keep your crops happy and healthy.
New Farming Systems: The Harvest Rating Point system now allows you to increase the yield of your harvest by meeting ideal growing conditions for crops. Reach 100 Harvest Rating and your plants will yield tons of extra kcal and new seeds for farm expansion.
Consumables Screen: Control your colony's eating habits with the new Consumables Screen. Dupes now have Food Quality Expectations, so try to feed them foods they like!

Quality of Life Improvements:

quote:

Power Control: Manage your power systems more effectively and prevent overloads and meltdowns with the new Power Transformer
New Energy Source: Natural Gas Geysers have tons of power to harness using the Natural Gas Generator, so long as you don't mind the smell.
Hydro and Atmo Switches: Automate your systems with pressure-detecting liquid and gas switches.

Quality of Life Improvements:
Storage and Planter Copy Settings: Cut down on time spent setting storage filters and planting seeds by copying & painting filter settings.
Breaktimes: No more assigning Dupes to Massage Tables with the new Breaktime Policy screen. Set the stress levels at which they should stop working with the Max Stress slider, then tell them when they should get back to work with Min Stress.
Default Job Restrictions: Use the Default column of the Jobs Screen to set job restrictions for new Dupes. Newly printed Dupes will come out with these settings already assigned.
Framerate improvement, reduced load times, UI changes & more
Screenshot Mode: Alt-S will now allow you to enter screenshot mode. Zoom out and take a picture of your entire base, then show it to all your friends.

Goon Discord Link: https://discord.gg/m4a3JAP

This game is a real gem. It's still really early alpha, but it's heaps of fun. I'm making this thread because I'm tired of dying out at around the 30th cycle, and I'm hoping some Goons here will be much better than I am and potentially give advice on where I'm going wrong. Feel free to hop into the Discord server to chat about it and share your neat base setups.

This is my current base. poo poo's going south real, real fast. I've got a severe shortage of: power, water, oxygen. I've got a severe abundance of: food, space, dupes, algae.

I've basically reached the stage where my dupes are consuming more oxygen than I'm producing, and my algae farms are converting all the expelled CO2 back into O2 but it's not enough to fix things. I tried setting up machines that break water down to provide oxygen, but it turns out it also provides hydrogen at the same time which caused all my lil guys to suffocate. I then tried making a system that pipes oxygen to the base and pipes hydrogen to a hydrogen generator, but by the time it finally got made, dupes started dying left, right and centre from lack of oxygen.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh hey this game. I remember finding out about it entirely because it has the same artists as Don't Starve, which I love the artstyle of.

I'm tempted to buy it but I have a personal policy of not wanting to play EA games prior to their release. It usually just cheapens the final product for me.

Same developers, too. Klei Entertainment is making this game, the same peeps who made Don't Starve.

And aye, good call. I wouldn't recommend buying it just yet unless you're a die-hard fan and have the cash to spend to enjoy a neat little timewaster.

There's a fair few bugs at the moment which can ruin a colony. Like sometimes when you load back in, certain areas can jump to sweltering hot temperatures and turn all your water into steam.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's awesome advice. I definitely did expand too much, my oxygen density tanked hard as a result. This game is fab, but it's really disheartening when a system doesn't work properly (I'm looking at you, gas pumps!). It can suck a lot of steam out of your enthusiasm, because this big project you spent a solid few cycles working on inevitably doesn't end up working.

Taking what you've said, my next base will definitely utilise smaller spaces length-wise, and I'll keep everything 3 or 4 tiles high. I think I might just deal with the hydrogen and create a pocket at the topmost part of my base to hopefully catch it all where it can be pumped into a hydrogen generator. I'll also not spew out max dupes and keep it to a safe 8-man colony.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I tried that with the electrolyzer / gas filter setup. It ended up not working for some reason. Oxygen wouldn't get pumped out to a vent to circulate around my colony, and hydrogen wasn't pumped into the generator. My colony was on the brink of dying when it was built so they all died off before I could figure out the issue and I got tired of reloading to the previous day to attempt to fix it.

Also yeah the painting placement is super nifty. I put it above anything that dupes spend a lot of time on, so the hamster wheels, research benches, cooking stations. It helps keep stress down really well early game.

Late game though, stress spirals out of control and I can't seem to keep it under wraps. Even with a dedicated massage room that has masterpiece paintings and loads of sculptures, it still takes forever to get their stress levels down.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Gas stuff doesn't work right at the moment. The vents back up constantly.

I've had no trouble with stress at all so far which seems odd and temperature has no effect on anything that I can tell. A coal generator sitting at 950 degrees right next to a cooker at 530 - nothing happens and the other crap next to them stays at 23.

The game has a lot of promise but right now it's not functional for a full session. Starting games and watching them scuttle about till they all die is fun though.

How big are the rooms your coal gen and cooking station are in? I had a 3-tile-high farming row and the floor lamps were enough to boil the surrounding water to steam, so I'm pretty sure temperature is either broken or buggy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oh god, not a single gas permeable tile in sight. You've got so many gas pumps to collect the random floating hydrogen. If you added gas permeable tiles, it'd all eventually float to the highest point of the map, you could make a little ugly pocket at the top of your base and have just a single gas pump there to pump the hydrogen into the generator.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Pfft, it kinda floats up the ladders. Good enough. I was going for a sealed room with the airlocks but I couldn't see a way to lock them closed - the plebs just wander through whenever they like.

From the pic you posted, a lot of it collects on levels, instead of all floating to the top. Using airlocks can do what you want. If you select the airlock, there's a way to disable them which basically causes them to get locked.

Also, take it from me: don't bother with the sealed room business. It's more headache than it's worth. I had an electrolyzer pumping out clean O2 in a sealed room, and a gas pump that separated O2 from the Hydrogen. It didn't work, or it'd keep turning off and on stupidly. My guys all suffocated. My next colony will just have the electrolyzer in the middle of my base and a clear path for the hydrogen to float up harmlessly to the top where it can be used.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That looks amazing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will stick that in OP, thanks for taking the time to put that together. Hope everyone has a blast with it being in EA now, it's an amazing game. This game is a brilliant little timewaster, and it's getting fleshed out more and more every update. It's also Klei who is making it, the same people behind Don't Starve and Invisible Inc. so you know their work ethic is good.

It's a tad barebones so don't expect weeks and weeks of playtime. I binged on this for a solid 3 or 4 days, put it down, and am going to pick it back up again due to the Agricultural Update. It'll keep me occupied for another 3 days.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 19, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alaan posted:

1) I think the discord link expired/is broken

2) I don't know if this is a feature or a bug but it is great.

Yeah, I deleted the Discord cause it was only me and one other person in it IIRC and there was no chat whatsoever for a month or two. Feel free to host another server and I'll pop the link in the OP.

That also looks like a bug, I'm pretty sure dupes aren't meant to be able to construct over a spot they're occupying, and then getting their head stuck and playing the falling animation seems wrong. Elizabethan Error's example is dupes being dumb, you gotta stick the base on red alert to make them get out of situations like that where they keep returning to a tiny oxygen pocket.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you mixed up the input with the output, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's always really disheartening when you spend a painstaking hour setting up a really cool gas system that filters oxygen and hydrogen and pumps the useful O2 around your base and collects the hydrogen in another room, only for it not to work. And since it's such an early release, you can never tell if it's a bug or if you just goofed something up.

If they added some sort of gas canister machine that could bottle gases to prevent the really infuriating "machine not working due to high pressure" thing that happens, that'd be great. Or maybe that kinda goes completely against what the game wants: for you to manage your inputs and outputs and try and maintain some form of equilibrium.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

When you say "we", were you playing it with a friend beside you? Cause AFAIK there's no multiplayer, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Silly Ren, he deserved it. I've had people build themselves out of the base and I don't notice until it says one of my dupes is suffocating, and the little fucker is just sitting there blowing out his cheeks and expecting me to save him. But alas, I am a cruel and merciless god.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I never used mush bars cause it says they can get sick, but if the extent of their illness is diarrhea, I'm going to start force-feeding mush bars from now on.

Has anything been done to make algae more easily cultivatable? The version before EA came out, it was an absolute bitch to cultivate, and you'd eventually dry up all your algae.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I didn't realize you could cultivate algae. My main source of it is slime.

I meant cultivate by using those condenser machines that accept toxic ground sludge and output algae.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's a good question. I could swear that polluted oxygen tends to collect at the bottom, but then again I've seen it float around mingled with normal o2

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah that's a major issue, poo poo doesn't work for very long because it creates a vacuum and keeps stopping and starting. I think it's a design choice because if the gases diffused properly, people could get hosed up really quick if you accidentally breach a chlorine pocket. I spent two hours making a really convoluted hydrogen power system, only for it to work for a glorious second before stopping again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Discord link in the OP is no longer valid. You should be able to set it to never expire.

I shut it down, there was me and one or two other people and it was absolutely dead. If you want to create a server for it, you're more than welcome to. I'll add it to OP as well.

Tree Bucket posted:

It's interesting to see Cheshire Cat's population! After about a dozen utterly failed colonies, I've finally learnt that it isn't always a good idea to print new Dupes the instant they become available. Particularly if I'm halfway through sorting out an oxygen crisis....

I spam dupes early-game just for manpower, then "accidents" occur that lowers my population to a more manageable level. I'll also not print a dupe afterwards if I'm at a really good point and don't need an extra man, since AFAIK it doesn't affect you negatively keeping the portal ready to spawn for ever.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

New Zealand can eat me posted:

The youtube video in the OP says 2016 release, when will this actually be done?

If I sound demanding, it's because this looks cool but I have burned my hand enough on the "early access space base building game" stove :smith:

It's Klei, the people behind Don't Starve, Invisible Inc and a bunch of other sweet games. I'm certain if you back this game in EA, you won't be let down or disappointed by lovely dev practices. These guys have a history of going above and beyond and releasing solid games. Don't Starve was an EA title, wasn't it? And the final game is incredible (though it's not really my thing, the permadeath sours it for me and I hate having to restart every time because of one silly mistake I make).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Eventually, I run into a problem of nobody doing any work because they're constantly running water to algae plants and my farm tiles. And then eventually everyone starts hitting stress caps, even with active massage tables. Figuring out oxygen is a pain.

Use water pumps to automatically drip water onto your algae farms? That would free up loads of manpower so your Dupes can work on other poo poo.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

...I never thought of that. Just put a drain right overhead and it won't flood or anything?

This is how I do it. A floor with a gap on one side to let water drain away to a water reservoir (this is where the pump is installed). I pump water from below up to the vent placed above the algae farms, it floods the floor but because there's an open gap to the right, it just drips back down into the reservoir. It keeps the algae plants (green) properly watered. The grey thing in the middle is meant to represent a ladder leading below - to the reservoir - and above, to the rest of your colony. Algae farms are naturally placed on the bottom-most part of your colony, since CO2 falls.

This design lets you dedicate an entire bottom floor to algae farms. Just have a vent placed farthest left and farthest right, with a gap in the middle. Then algae farms on each side. IIRC water only travels a certain distance, so don't have massively wide algae farms. You can stick lamps between two algae farms to increase production as well, I believe. Though I can't 100% remember if light bonus affects them, or if it only affects edible food plants.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 3, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Surely by the time you can pump water onto your farm plots you can just build irrigated ones and feed them directly for the extra harvest bonus?

Or is there some other benefit to regular farm tiles, other than decor?

Oh poo poo I forgot there's a farming update. Disregard everything I said. Last time I played this game was when it was Alpha and not on EA yet.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Personal space bedrooms are awesome but loud snorers have magical snores that can penetrate through the doors and into the rooms of their neighbours, which makes them a pain if you've got a loud sleeper.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The reason your dupes can't keep the coal generators fed is because you've got 3 dupes at 30 days... Staying small is a viable option, but you'll have too few dupes to really get into the fun stuff. I'd recommend bumping your dupes up to 6 or 7, by slowly introducing them into the colony and ensuring you can keep o2 / food / co2 managed.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How would you be able to access that geyser in the future? Trying to add a door / piping / anything would cause the wall to be deconstructed and spew steam all over your dupe doing the work, no?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way to make a proper airlock, that lets a dupe in, cycles the air, and then lets the dupe out? I've noticed over time, the airlock accumulates whatever pathogens from outside, and this slowly leaks into the base every time a dupe uses the airlock.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Truga posted:

The correct thing to do, I think, is to have small (4-5 dupes) self-sufficient bases in different areas of the map, but I never bothered to set it up this way yet so I dunno how if it's efficient or not.

even having self sufficient stuff, you're not able to designate dupes to certain zones. so there's literally nothing stopping the AI from derping out and sending a dupe all the way to another toilet.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Incorrect. You can set up access control on doors.

oh boy, i need to start playing this again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

saving is decent. IIRC, you can manual save to have a fixed point to return to, but there is an autosave feature that saves at the start of each new day.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

should I bother getting back into this game or should I leave it for a few more major updates? I last played this just before the thermal update came out, so there's been a bunch of major updates that I haven't yet touched.

I'm just worried content is still lacking and I'll binge on this game for the next 2 days and then burn myself out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've restarted bases maybe 4 times in the past 8 hours. I keep losing all my poo poo due to ridiculous stuff:

- my dupes start pissing themselves even though I've got two bathrooms
- even though I plant 11 mealworm things and 7 of the slower growing plants, I still can't produce enough food
- oxygen management is a nightmare, specifically managing co2, I can spam algae farms (I usually go for 8-10) but eventually the algae runs out
- I've not had more than 10 dupes at a time, each with their own personal rooms, but god drat is it hard to increase moral to utilize jobs properly

I feel like there's too much that needs to be done, not enough dupes, and no downtime for research. if I focus the research tree, I end up dying due to food, if I focus on food / hygiene / comfort, I end up being stuck way behind in the research tree by the time co2 starts to kill me

baby's first playthrough guide go

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for all the advice, gonna reroll a new colony

enraged_camel posted:

first playthrough?

aren't you the OP?

not first playthrough, but first playthrough since I lasted played back in Feb 2017. A lot has changed :) Last time I played, there were maybe 5 or 10 research tasks, and the game was very easy to cheese. You could have a base running extremely quickly, but I remember CO2 was a problem back then and you'd eventually die off unless you did some crazy poo poo.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The advice you guys gave me really helped. On cycle 35 right now, 5 dupes, plenty of oxygen supply, perfect carbon dioxide management (though sometimes CO2 pools in certain rooms and refuses to fall to the lowest point where the scrubber is, even though I put airflow tiles in the right places, should I pump the CO2 instead?) and a chef churning out food keeping them all fed.

One quick question though, is job mastery / mastery percentage saved even if you swap dupes to another job?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think I hosed my best colony yet. got really far in terms of research, it was self sufficient with 7 dupes, automated farming. but all my wires kept breaking because there was just too much load on them. I placed a bunch of heavi-watt wires then realised my dupes were going mental from the decor hit. I'd have to redesign my entire base so I can build maintenance tunnels to house the heavi-watt wires and avoid the decor hit.

I saved and quit, it's a job for another day. way too much work to tackle atm. I've got vertical ladder shafts, and I'd have to build a 2x2 maintenance hallway around the outside of my base and it would take an hour or so to complete. I'm going to have to deconstruct so much stuff and reposition a bunch of rooms.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for that pic, it helps a lot and I'm going to do this: keep heavi-watt in the power plant and just make separate circuits for everything else. One thing I can't wrap my head around are the transformers. They don't seem to prevent wires from overloading. I wire up a bunch of machines (usually from two or three adjacent rooms) that come to about 1900W draw if they all run at the same time, and the transformer does nothing to lower electricity to prevent this.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

this game has really sunk it's hooks in me. I can't stop thinking about it.

any advice for exploring new biomes? I'm just about to have my exosuits set up, so I should be able to quickly expand into and seal off a large new section of base to the west, and then I figured I'll use the suits afterwards to explore further into the biomes. I don't even know what I'm looking for, how big the world is, or if there's any point to exploration.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So do job mastery perks remain constant even if I swap a dupe's job out? I didn't know I could have dupes master lots of different jobs and keep the perks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't deal with slime, it just spreads slimelung everywhere. I mined like 5 tiles and brought it back to the base, and in the brief moment of it falling on the floor and being put into a compactor, it made a fair amount of slimelung pollution, even with a deodorizer right beside it that I put just for this task.

How am I meant to mine slime effectively without exosuits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

man I love this game but I feel like I get burnt out, because it's so punishing. in Factorio, it doesn't matter whether you go the spaghetti route or OCD organized route, it all still works, you just get punished with less efficiency and potential logistical headache. with ONI, it doesn't matter how OCD I plan my base, as I leave the mid game and enter the early late game, I run into a whole slew of problems. plumbing is a mess. ventilation goes everywhere, power circuits keep frying because I need to put transformers everywhere to actually dole out energy properly. it's crazy, especially when you barely have enough energy to run the 1200W refinery, which is insanely important to bump your electrical network to a level where it can handle all the power needs.

it feels like a vicious cycle of
>meticulously plan a base
>things go great in the early game
>mid game has it's challenges but it's bearable
>late game throws problem after problem at me and I'm barely clawing my way through them, constantly on the verge of everyone dying

I'm a moron, I've been sitting on automation tech for so long and never used it. a smart battery is a lifesaver, lets me actually properly use my machines without having to constantly disable / enable them. it's sorted my power issues out because now I can have all my stuff working nonstop and they stop automatically, that gave me enough time to get some refined copper and I redid my entire power network. thinks are much better now that wires aren't constantly frying.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 28, 2018