Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been playing for a little while, but I have an annoying insecurity regarding how the economy is set up: as far as I can tell, the economy is rigged so you will never be truly self-sufficient. So what does gameplay look like, once you're consistently lasting long enough to chew through all the algae near your starting base? Is the intent to build ever-expanding hallways throughout the world and making longer and longer algae/water/dirt farming trips until the map runs out of resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, thanks- I guess I haven't run into a geyser yet, I've always used electrolyzers with pockets of water found around the asteroid (which obviously looked like a slower version of the algae problem).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So okay, I have one pump, two electrolyzers supplying O2 for three people, and that's great, but I don't have a geyser visible on the revealed map; should I build pressure doors around my base so the O2 doesn't leak into the tunnels, then just start digging huge exploratory veins in every direction until I find a geyser for permanent water?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I had my first genuinely successful long(ish) base at 30-ish days elapsed before things became irrecoverably screwed. I thought I had a good thing going with a contained vertical space layered into a carbon dioxide pit, then electrolyzers, then living/working spaces, then a hydrogen trap at the top where I built a hydrogen generator and gas filter:

That generates more than enough oxygen for three crew (I keep getting warning messages that I'm consuming more than I produce, but I've never seen the oxygen drop from teal to blue), my problem is with power: even with two electrolyzers running fulltime, the hydrogen generator eats way more hydrogen than the electrolyzers produce, so I can't count on it for consistent electricity. Coal generators seem finicky (lots of CO2 and my guys never refuel them), and I haven't found a good natural gas source yet- is there a way I can modify my oxygen setup to produce more hydrogen, or should I just rush for natural gas right away and hope to find a geyser before my infrastructure gets too big?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

temple posted:

That's a nice small setup. Using the farm tile as a floor is smart. Nice to you see use the lights. Putting the H generator by the pump is good too. I've noticed and others have confirmed that the shorter the line between the gas filter and the generator, the better.

Thanks! Out of curiosity, what's the rationale for keeping the gas line short? I've found myself using massive pipelines for natural gas, simply to minimize the chance of gas getting near my airlocks once it's wired up and functioning.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How do you handle the massive CO2 buildup? Do you just plant an air scrubber (and, for natural gas, a pump that sucks up any gas which leaks past the generator into your base) right next to the generator, and count the filtration medium you'll need to get your water back as a sunk cost?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm hitting the point where my gas balances are pretty okay, but I always have a smidgen of CO2/polluted oxygen floating around the inside of my pressurized base. If I build a gas pump + filter where gasses tend to congregate, then disable both once they've done their job, will they still draw power from the grid?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I came up with a base layout that I'm pretty moderately happy with- it's oxygen and food-stable, and small enough that three dupes can operate it with a hamster wheel + hydrogen drip:

The CO2 hellpit down on the right is barely even necessary, I don't think I'd even bother with coal next time. The only real weakness is that it's heavily reliant on water filtration, and sand is a limited resource; once I max out research and get the computers deconstructed, I'll probably start experimenting with using heat/cold to clean air and water without sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That actually raises a good point though- assuming sand is plentiful-ish, what should my midgame look like? I'm on cycle 29 and almost finished researching, and once my computers are no longer necessary I'm gonna shrink and try to optimize the inside of my living + work areas a bit, but once that's done the only things that really need to happen are some scouting to build up a surplus of sand, and grinding two of my dupes into a cook and internal decorator, so I can stay ahead of the tantrum spiral as long as possible. Otherwise, it seems like I can pretty much hang out in my small oxygen hole forever.