Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

As far as I can tell, you can remain on a muck bar diet forever. The other foods don't have any appreciable advantages, considering the trouble they are worth (esp. with farming and stuff, which requires an entire subsystem).

actually no, as time passes, you dups start to get the hungry for better food.

wheat is where it is at. If you plant it right, you get food and extra seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Dogen posted:

Yep, water vents will overpressure just like air vents. And I keep two fridges in the kitchen, one for wheat and one for everything else.

F the fridges. put those food bins in a cold bio-doom room (30° or below) and your food will stay fresh with no electricity being used.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

I always put my musher right next to water. There is still the dirt requirement though.

put your musher in a dark corner, it gives off negative decor.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

temple posted:

I started playing this a couple of weeks ago. Really engrossing. My biggest thrill is watching everything come together for a few cycles, especially getting water flow done well. Biggest grip is the lack of a priority system for skills because it takes a lot of watching and clicking to pull people off jobs if a snag occurs. I tend to find CO2 being my biggest threat by far.

When you open the jobs dialog box, click on those right facing triangles, they do things.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Q8ee posted:

I never used mush bars cause it says they can get sick, but if the extent of their illness is diarrhea, I'm going to start force-feeding mush bars from now on.

Has anything been done to make algae more easily cultivatable? The version before EA came out, it was an absolute bitch to cultivate, and you'd eventually dry up all your algae.

you can make algae from slime but it is slow and it makes polluted water. Besides, you need two algae makers for one algae oxy makers.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Travic posted:

I also put the pantry in the bottom of the base and let it fill with CO2. It gives the sterile atmosphere buff and the food lasts forever.

Dupes just have to hold their breath for a second when they get hungry.

yea, it gives it the 'preserves' the food but I like the cold bio cuz I can keep my wheat and seed in there.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

The Cheshire Cat posted:

More questions, after my 3rd attempt at a colony went pretty well (75 cycles and they're starting to spiral now, mainly because I ran out of coal to run my generators. It might still be salvageable but I feel like starting a new one with what I've learned anyway).

-Are transformers one-way? I came up with a nice setup where I keep my generators and heavy cables all running outside the base, then I use transformers on each floor to run small wires in through the walls to prevent overloading. However, I'd also like to set up some hamster wheels inside the oxygenated area just in case I need to generate emergency power; will they feed their generated energy back out through the transformers and out to the other floors?

-Are heavy cables supposed to be able to run through airlocks? I've found that if I build the cable first, then place an airlock on top of it after it's been constructed, the game is fine with that. But if I try to queue up both to be built at once, it'll tell me the location is invalid for the cable, and if I try to queue a cable over an already constructed airlock, it just doesn't let me place it. I assume some part of all that is a bug but I'm not sure which.m

-Is there a way to speed up melting ice? I had some mined ice sitting in a storage container that was heated up to 50 degrees (Celsius) by the surrounding water, and it was heating up, but VERY slowly. Admittedly there was 14,000 kilograms of it in there (the masses in this game are so weird), but still, the temperature barely moved over like a dozen cycles.

Transformers are one way. There is a arrow on them to show which way the juice flows. electricity will not flow back through the generator. you would be better off running small wire from hamster wheel to the batteries.

big wire through doors is kind of a bug which will probably be fixed soon. Try using a large wire bridge to get through doors and walls.

not sure why you want to melt ice when a steam geyser will give you more water.....in less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

temple posted:

Big wire isn't supposed to go through doors afaik. I just make wire bridges around them.

yea, they fixed that. Too bad the big wires have such an ugly decor rating.

My first colony is right at 137 cycles and it has so many bad designs in it, I don't know why I don't just axe it and start a new one.