Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Real tanks can't come soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
So how is everyone attaching their manual generator to their power grids now? Recently after not playing a while I came back, and now the thin power lines between my manual generators and my battery grid keep melting ... and I don't remember this happening in the past.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Elizabethan Error posted:

you've got to use a transformer to limit the thin powerlines to 1kW, they will overload if they surpass that amount.

I see. I've set up the rest of my grid like that (generators -> batteries -> transformers -> thin 1kw networks), but I didn't know the generator side was affected. Again, have been away from this game a while. So is I there some way to trigger the manual generators when batteries get to a certain amount, like automation lines, or can the generators see the battery levels through the transformers now?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

You can actually put your generators on thin wire and then feed them into the network via transformers by wiring it up like generator > thin wire > transformer > heavy wire. IIRC you wire the transformer so the thin wire is on the input, heavy wire on the output. The reason is that the transformer protects the thin wire from the heavy current, the thin wire can be run through walls, so there's no need for the plate blocks, and also because the decor hit on thin wire is smaller than heavy wire, and so your dupes suffer less of a penalty as a result.

Thank you. That makes sense. So it's either that or putting them on fat wire like Splicer suggested. I was trying to avoid the decor hit, but now I wonder what people are doing to keep the generators aware of what % the batteries are at. I don't remember the generator side wires ever melting before because of this. I don't want the dupes running the generators all the time because the transformer blocks them from seeing the battery %. The fat wire solution fixes that I guess. I went on the official forums but only found a discussion about which side of the transformers to put the batteries on ...

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

You could almost definitely put a batter on the thin side. I don't know how fast/slow it would drain into the heavy side though. I guess it depends on how much power your consumers are drawing, which also would mean that effectively, it wouldn't matter. Since you're inputting into the heavy wire, it's not like you'll back-feed power into the battery or something.

So what are people doing now? Just using fat wire and taking the decor hit? I have enough high morale stuff at this point (great hall, good food, etc). I was just surprised when the thin wire from the gens started melting, but I can see it's because it's connected straight to the battery array, which themselves are connected together by fat wire. I'm assuming at this point you can't have thin wire touch fat wire at any point.

2 manual generators -> thin wire -> batteries connected together by fat wire -> transformers -> thin wire 1k segments

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hide the fat wires but use them. Connect fat wires to power plants, batteries, and transformers. Everything else connects to transformers which are only loaded as high as they can go. Where decor matters use big transformers with fancy wires.

Got it. So the battery recharge threshold on the manual generators is useless now?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not entirely; I think dupes just ignore the generator and won't refill it until the batteries get to that threshold but really a smart battery is waaaaaaay better at not burning all of your fuel immediately.

Ah. Thanks for tolerating my ignorance. I figured there was more that could be done with the automation portions.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Nothing wrong with bringing slime back to base. Indeed, you need to do that if you have a mushroom farm. Otherwise, every time your mushrooms need slime, your dupes will carry it all the way from outside the base and it will spread slimelung all over the place.

Lately I've been building my mushroom farms outside the airlock, and making the farmer wear a exosuit. Toxic farming!

Even before that though I don't think I had anyone come down with slimelung. The worst was digging into a new biome and having them walk the slime across my base to the storage cabinet on the other side.

To be honest I just really really don't like the green germs in the display.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

SPOM is unnecessary if you have even a single cool slush geyser on the map that you can tap into. It provides all the cooling necessary to offset the 70 Celsius oxygen.

What's the best way to take advantage of it?